Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs release Eric Berry

10 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If people think our safeties are injury prone, they'll love Berry. That being said, IF healthy would be an excellent guy for the locker room. I just doubt Ballard ever signs a guy for big money past the age of 30.

Yeah, probably, but I think he'd be an excellent addition to our team, pushed them further and CB has tremendous respect for him. maybe. 

Will be a Patriot I bet you :headspin:

Nah, he doesn't have the same closing burst that he had before his injuries. Chiefs were 0-2 in the games he played last year and won all games without him playing safety. Then he came back for the AFCCG and I rarely saw him in position to make plays and make them. 

I am not sold on his abilities right now to contribute at a high level for our D. Spagnuolos' system, very much like our system and Dungy's system, values safeties with closing ability and burst, and if they let him go, it is telling, IMO. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nah, he doesn't have the same closing burst that he had before his injuries. Chiefs were 0-2 in the games he played last year and won all games without him playing safety. Then he came back for the AFCCG and I rarely saw him in position to make plays and make them. 

I am not sold on his abilities right now to contribute at a high level for our D. Spagnuolos' system, very much like our system and Dungy's system, values safeties with closing ability and burst, and if they let him go, it is telling, IMO. 

He has tremendous knowledge and a leader on the field, would be an amazing asset to the team imo

• Like 1

Berry's release is certainly one of the more intriguing breaking developments.  As a high character man who's been an all-pro, I could see him coming aboard with another Ballard special: 1-year deal to see what he's got left.  He's only 30, he's just had some bad injuries.  

Worth kicking the tires on for sure.  I'd honestly love to have him in Indy.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rayski said:

I hope this is true...   I trust Ballard...  but I’m nit sure I see the fit?

I only know Berry as a free safety.   Don’t think he’s ever been a strong side guy.  

But if Ballard and ME can make it work that would be an interesting signing for them.   

I absolutely love EB. But he's played like 3 games in the last 2 years. 

Give him a contract that pays him 200K per game that he plays, and 500k bonus for each INT. 

Stay healthy, play all the games, get 4 INTs, and 5.5M is yours. Hell, I might even go 1M for each INT lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2019 at 10:13 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

If people think our safeties are injury prone, they'll love Berry. That being said, IF healthy would be an excellent guy for the locker room. I just doubt Ballard ever signs a guy for big money past the age of 30.

That's why with all the injuries he likely wouldn't cost a lot offer a prove it deal see if he takes it Hooker is injury prone too flip a coin from week to week last year as to whether he played or not.

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I absolutely love EB. But he's played like 3 games in the last 2 years. 

Give him a contract that pays him 200K per game that he plays, and 500k bonus for each INT. 

Stay healthy, play all the games, get 4 INTs, and 5.5M is yours. Hell, I might even go 1M for each INT lol. 

Conceptually I love this idea. I know we would have to give a base salary and then there would be different incentives you can give a guy. I am curious w Berry how this would work since all incentives are usually classified as likely to be earned (LTBE) or not likely to be earned (NLTBE).

Usually I believe they determine this based on the previous season.

Also if something is in a player's control (i.e. per game bonuses, workout bonuses, etc) they normally count as LTBE.

This is important since all LTBE incentives count against the cap.

So saying something like "200k per game" would be considered LTBE and we'd automatically have to account for that $3.2M upfront.

Since he had very few stats last year while injured, the NLTBE category gets tough. I don't know how they work that since it is usually based off performance of the previous year.

I wonder if they'd just go back to his last healthy year or if someone has to arbitrate that.

All that said, because it is so complicated I could never see a guy like Berry accepting a deal like that since someone out there would be willing to roll the dice on him and pay him a guaranteed salary this year at the minimum.

I'd totally make it worth his while though and do something like a base salary of $6M with $250k per game roster bonuses where he could make up to $10M if he plays.

Since the top safeties in this market were getting $14M and since Berry is coming off of being the highest paid Safety prior at $13M, him having the potential to earn close to his old salary would likely be important.

I'd love to add Berry to this team. But his situation is complicated and that is before we factor in incentives lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Conceptually I love this idea. I know we would have to give a base salary and then there would be different incentives you can give a guy. I am curious w Berry how this would work since all incentives are usually classified as likely to be earned (LTBE) or not likely to be earned (NLTBE).

Also if something is in a player's control (i.e. per game bonuses, workout bonuses, etc) they normally count as LTBE.

So saying something like "200k per game" would be considered LTBE and we'd automatically have to account for that $3.2M upfront.

Since he had very few stats last year while injured, the NLTBE category gets tough. I don't know how they work that since it is usually based off performance of the previous year.

I wonder if they'd just go back to his last healthy year or if someone has to arbitrate that.

All that said, because it is so complicated I could never see a guy like Berry accepting a deal like that since someone out there would be willing to roll the dice on him and pay him a guaranteed salary this year at the minimum.

I'd totally make it worth his while though and do something like a base salary of $6M with $250k per game roster bonuses where he could make up to $10M if he plays.

Since the top safeties in this market were getting $14M and since Berry is coming off of being the highest paid Safety prior at $13M, him having the potential to earn close to his old salary would likely be important.

I'd love to add Berry to this team. But his situation is complicated and that is before we factor in incentives lol.

I don't see him sniffing 10M from anyone this year. Too much health history. 

Probably not a good fit for the Colts even if healthy. He suffers also from a serious case of equinophobia. Not good for a team called the Colts lol. And no, I'm not kidding. Perhaps Blue wouldn't cause the same reaction as Warpaint (the Chiefs Mascot).

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:54 AM, chad72 said:

I agree he has been injury prone and I am not sure how much he has left in the tank.  However, I think his release had more to do with his cap hit.  Plus they just signed Mathieu.  U can't be paying two safties almost 30 million.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, TomDiggs said:

I think it was Irish who noted that Berry has been injured so much, he literally has only played three games over the last two years.    I think that means he’s got no shot at a contract that gets him a huge salary even with incentives.   

If some team team gives him a deal like that, I’d be beyond stunned.   (Now watch it happen!).  Someone come pick me up off the floor if it happens!   

• Haha 1