Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Visits

Bravo

Okay, I tried to find the nicest thing a Packers fan said about him (because over 90% of them are saying he's terrible with bad tackling mechanics and abysmal coverage) and this is all I could find:

Really good guy, worked his way up from nothing, beloved by his teammates. Showed promise as an UDFA rookie but has been a disappointment since then. Some injury-related, some just not having any instincts as a pass defender. Packers fans really turned on him last season, especially after he accidentally injured Mo Wilkerson. He should never have played as many defensive snaps for us as he did. I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Okay, I tried to find the nicest thing a Packers fan said about him (because over 90% of them are saying he's terrible with bad tackling mechanics and abysmal coverage) and this is all I could find:

Yikesssss

1 hour ago, MightyLucks said:

According to Pro Football Focus, Brice allowed a passer rating of 150.1 on 29 throws into his primary coverage and missed 12 of 57 tackle attempts. He allowed big plays down the middle of the field and too often swung and missed as an open-field tackler.

Of the 93 safeties in the NFL that played 300 or more snaps last season, Brice ranked 87th in overall grade at PFF.

Wow, sounds like complete garbage! :lol:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The guy doesn’t excite me either....

BUT....

If you look again at the tweet...  Brice visited Houston the other day and Tampa is also interested.

That’s three NFL teams that feel like they know something about the guy...   he’s got to have some vale somewhere to someone...

Did it say he was there for NFL teams or just visiting the cities?  Sight seeing!

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

According to the tweet, he’s visiting TODAY.   I have no idea if he has visited already?

Sorry, was referring to a prior post that the Texans and other team had him in for a VISIT, and like Green Bay, they let him walk...

2 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

According to Pro Football Focus, Brice allowed a passer rating of 150.1 on 29 throws into his primary coverage and missed 12 of 57 tackle attempts. He allowed big plays down the middle of the field and too often swung and missed as an open-field tackler.

Of the 93 safeties in the NFL that played 300 or more snaps last season, Brice ranked 87th in overall grade at PFF.

Laron Landry might as well pay the Colts another visit. :peek:

24 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Sorry, was referring to a prior post that the Texans and other team had him in for a VISIT, and like Green Bay, they let him walk...

Letting him walk doesn’t always mean they’re not interested.   The Colts have had guys visit..   they left without signing...  and then we ultimately signed them down the road.  Hey, that happens.

Sometimes it’s because the player wants to take all his visits and be courted.   There are all sorts of reasons.

Again, I’m nit defending this guy at all.   Im only trying to offer a broader context,  a bigger picture to consider.  That’s all. 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Who knows if  he was offered a contract

I understand.   And I’m not saying any of them will offer the guy.

I was only noting that the Colts are not the only team showing interest.   Other teams are too.

Really,  that’s my only point.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was only noting that the Colts are not the only team showing interest.   Other teams are too.

I agree

There are a lot of players/agents that will not sign until they have heard all the offers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why are we scraping the bottom  of the barrel with so much money

• Like 5

On 3/13/2019 at 10:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are still a lot of good options out there. CJ Anderson who is a bruiser at RB, Tate at WR, Suh, Houston, and who knows we could still even trade for Frank Clark? Let me say this, we may not pursue any of these guys but it is still early in Free Agency. Suh on a 1 yr deal I would definitely do if the opp is there, he is older but for 1 yr hell yes. Everyone in here wants a power back, why not Anderson to pair with Mack. Anderson was good last year and he's healthy. He averaged 6 yards a carry this past season. 

I think that's what we lack in the running game and Anderson fits the bill. I never wanted Bell for the price he was asking but you can't explain that to people on here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If I had to guess...   we’re always looking for a possible special teams ace...    Ballard us thinking about the 90-man roster almost as much as the 53-man roster.

Thats the best I can come up with...  except to say we’ll be signing lots of guys over the next few weeks and months. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I had to guess...   we’re always looking for a possible special teams ace...    Ballard us thinking about the 90-man roster almost as much as the 53-man roster.

Thats the best I can come up with...  except to say we’ll be signing lots of guys over the next few weeks and months. 

It would totally change the game for us if we had a truly gifted return guy. Someone who could effectively bring it out of the end zone. It would catch teams off guard because of all the touchbacks. Start at the 35 or 40 instead of the 25. I honestly believe the NFL's changes to the kickoffs hurt the game. I miss seeing return guys like Hester.

25 minutes ago, Mr.ZapRowsdower said:

It would totally change the game for us if we had a truly gifted return guy. Someone who could effectively bring it out of the end zone. It would catch teams off guard because of all the touchbacks. Start at the 35 or 40 instead of the 25. I honestly believe the NFL's changes to the kickoffs hurt the game. I miss seeing return guys like Hester.

And I loved seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_rXN5itlg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Dang only two mediocre players? Ok then, Indy still isn't a destination prior want to come to.

I think it’s way, WAY too soon to come up with conclusion...    a recent poll of agents listed Indy has the 8th most desirable NFL team to join.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

He has to be a special teams guy, I can't imagine that they're looking at him for any type of significant role in the defense.

Just as a small sanity check, teams don’t HAVE to announce visits.

Also why get all twisted up over a visit, we might not sign the guy. Besides as it’s been shown numerous times, guys can have a terrible time in one place but turn it around elsewhere. The Packers D was baaaaad for quite some time and a different scheme to what we currently play. Maybe the coaching staff feel they have a better suited role for some of these barrel scrapes.

Chill your boots people, no one wins a Super Bowl in March.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.ZapRowsdower said:

No we didn't. He got signed. 

But we let him hit free agency first, hence he was allowed to test his market. 

Just because a team lets a player walk that doesn't mean they are terrible or unwanted.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

No we didnt.... we just re-signed him... 2 days ago now.

Just because a team lets a player walk that doesn't mean they are terrible or unwanted.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

99 percent of the time when the phrase “let him walk” is used, especially in the NFL and other professional sports FAs, it means the team let the player leave without trying to resign. Letting them test the market while still negotiating is NOT letting a player walk.

that said, I do agree that letting a player go does not always equate poor performance or other issues

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Ballard is like the rich woman shopping at Dollar Tree to save a buck.  haha     

Still he is the reigning GM of the year so he gets the benefit of the doubt for now. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, csmopar said:

99 percent of the time when the phrase “let him walk” is used, especially in the NFL and other professional sports FAs, it means the team let the player leave without trying to resign. Letting them test the market while still negotiating is NOT letting a player walk.

that said, I do agree that letting a player go does not always equate poor performance or other issues

Thank you!     Wanted to highlight two really important points you made!     Yes, x100!

These are really good,  really thoughtful concepts that are not embraced enough around here.....

Thanks for putting them in the spotlight!

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, TomDiggs said:

Strengths:

"Runs with wide base and generates leg drive to push"

"Plays with bend and bursts through the hole with low pad level"

"Reliable yards-after-contact back"

"Accelerates into contact on second level"

"Asked to be physical, downhill runner between tackles and he obliged"

"Ajayi features an improving stiff arm and physicality that has become his calling card. Ajayi has the ability to play all three downs while mashing in short yardage and near the goal line."

I mean, he is the epitome of a physical back who has the benefit of being able to get downhill but also can make some cuts and can be a weapon in the passing game out of the backfield.

I would love adding him. In a pinch, he could pick up the slack for just about any specialty that any RB we have. And he could function as a full-time back if needed. The benefit is he doesn't need to me. It would be like re-creating that Ajayi/Smallwood/Clement/Sproles Philly backfield but with arguably more talent.

Either way, it may be a totally inconsequential point since we may not even sign him. I just think the prospect of signing his is very intriguing and he has many potential roles including but not limited to the old Turbin role.

Quote from Ajayi's coach, the day before he  was shipped out:

"We’ve got to stop trying to hit home runs all the time,” Gase said. “How about take the 4 or 5 yards that we’re going to get?"

If that describes a physical, downhill runner, it would be the first time in NFL history a physical downhill runner was described as such.  

He's big.  So is Funchess.  

• Like 1