Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Visits

Bravo

2 hours ago, #12. said:

Quote from Ajayi's coach, the day before he  was shipped out:

"We’ve got to stop trying to hit home runs all the time,” Gase said. “How about take the 4 or 5 yards that we’re going to get?"

If that describes a physical, downhill runner, it would be the first time in NFL history a physical downhill runner was described as such.  

He's big.  So is Funchess.  

Again context is important here. Gase bashed the hell out of ALL his RBs that season around that time. He criticized the hell out of the entire RB stable and said they were all trying to hit home runs and they all could not pass protect. This was when the media was killing the Dolphins OL for their lack of protection and their lack of a running game and Gase was saying essentially "I put the blame on the RBs".

Ajayi's biggest criticism when with Miami (and coming out of college) was that he was not great when it came to outside runs. Stuff in the 7 and 9 holes where he ran sweeps and stretches he struggled with. That is no surprise since he is not someone that can turn the corner quickly (I think he ran close to a 4.6 forty). Mack is pretty solid at those stretch runs. Ajayi would not be doing that on a consistent basis here, in my humble opinion.

The exact same time that Gase was criticizing the RBs for their trying to hit home runs, there was this stat that was curiously not mentioned in your analysis from that time frame (i.e. up to that week 9 before he was then traded in 2017):

"Ajayi took his first carry of the game for a season-long 21 yards, but the next 12 carries gained just two yards. Despite having just 23 total yards for the game, Ajayi ran for 37 yards after contact, as he was hit all night behind the line of scrimmage. For the season, Ajayi has 382 yards after contact, fourth-most for all RBs."

The guy was getting drilled behind the line and still making yards after contact.

Also, Gase didn't appear to be the best judge of RBs and their abilities while in Miami.

Who was he criticizing on that team for their lack of solid play? Ajayi, Damien Williams and Kenyan Drake.

Ajayi went on to kick some serious butt down the stretch w Philly after the trade. He went from 3.4 yards per carry in Miami to 5.8 in Philly behind a decent OL and with a staff (that included Reich) who knew how to use him. I would love to see what he could do behind our dangerous OL.

Damien Williams left Miami and just showed how incredible he could be down the stretch in KC where he averaged 5.1 yards per carry and was great in their passing game.

Kenyan Drake was a guy Gase didn't even use in 2017 until he traded Ajayi and then Drake blew up. He should have been using him for his scheme all along. (Gase then mysteriously stopped using him this year while giving more carries to Gore).

All I am getting at with this is that Gase's criticism of Ajayi was coupled with his criticism of Williams and Drake and it is no secret that Ajayi was super happy to get away from Gase. I am actually super interested to see how the Gase/Leveon Bell partnership works out in NY now too. If there is one runner out there who is incredibly patient and waits for holes and cutback lanes to develop it is Bell. He is maybe the most patient runner in the league. If he starts getting hit for loses or the running game doesn't develop, I wonder if Gase will attribute that to him trying to hit home runs due to his patient slow rolling style.

It is going to be a fun year for sure.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Ajayi is healthy hed make a good combination with Mack. I think hes a slasher as well as a bruiser. The kind of runner we need in the committee. Im not sure where hes at with the ACL.

I'd be fine with him as a replacement for Williams. He'd be an upgrade IF he's healthy.

For whatever it’s worth...   

I’m not sure Ajayi is being brought in to be in a time share with Mack.

Based on what Ballard has said about Mack being a three down back, my hunch is that Ajayi is being brought in to be the new Turbin.   A 3rd down guy...   a goal line guy.  

I easily could be wrong but this is my best guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Again context is important here. Gase bashed the hell out of ALL his RBs that season around that time. He criticized the hell out of the entire RB stable and said they were all trying to hit home runs and they all could not pass protect. This was when the media was killing the Dolphins OL for their lack of protection and their lack of a running game and Gase was saying essentially "I put the blame on the RBs".

Ajayi's biggest criticism when with Miami (and coming out of college) was that he was not great when it came to outside runs. Stuff in the 7 and 9 holes where he ran sweeps and stretches he struggled with. That is no surprise since he is not someone that can turn the corner quickly (I think he ran close to a 4.6 forty). Mack is pretty solid at those stretch runs. Ajayi would not be doing that on a consistent basis here, in my humble opinion.

The exact same time that Gase was criticizing the RBs for their trying to hit home runs, there was this stat that was curiously not mentioned in your analysis from that time frame (i.e. up to that week 9 before he was then traded in 2017):

"Ajayi took his first carry of the game for a season-long 21 yards, but the next 12 carries gained just two yards. Despite having just 23 total yards for the game, Ajayi ran for 37 yards after contact, as he was hit all night behind the line of scrimmage. For the season, Ajayi has 382 yards after contact, fourth-most for all RBs."

The guy was getting drilled behind the line and still making yards after contact.

Also, Gase didn't appear to be the best judge of RBs and their abilities while in Miami.

Who was he criticizing on that team for their lack of solid play? Ajayi, Damien Williams and Kenyan Drake.

Ajayi went on to kick some serious butt down the stretch w Philly after the trade. He went from 3.4 yards per carry in Miami to 5.8 in Philly behind a decent OL and with a staff (that included Reich) who knew how to use him. I would love to see what he could do behind our dangerous OL.

Damien Williams left Miami and just showed how incredible he could be down the stretch in KC where he averaged 5.1 yards per carry and was great in their passing game.

Kenyan Drake was a guy Gase didn't even use in 2017 until he traded Ajayi and then Drake blew up. He should have been using him for his scheme all along. (Gase then mysteriously stopped using him this year while giving more carries to Gore).

All I am getting at with this is that Gase's criticism of Ajayi was coupled with his criticism of Williams and Drake and it is no secret that Ajayi was super happy to get away from Gase. I am actually super interested to see how the Gase/Leveon Bell partnership works out in NY now too. If there is one runner out there who is incredibly patient and waits for holes and cutback lanes to develop it is Bell. He is maybe the most patient runner in the league. If he starts getting hit for loses or the running game doesn't develop, I wonder if Gase will attribute that to him trying to hit home runs due to his patient slow rolling style.

It is going to be a fun year for sure.

Ajayi taken under the wing of Tom Rathman should be a more improved back.

• Like 4

On 3/16/2019 at 12:28 AM, krunk said:

If Ajayi is healthy hed make a good combination with Mack. I think hes a slasher as well as a bruiser. The kind of runner we need in the committee. Im not sure where hes at with the ACL.

And going back to his college career, I think this is his 3rd significant knee injury.

• Like 1

So if we signed both Ajayi and Lynch today and then re-sign Geathers before the draft, how would y'all feel moving forward?

Ajayi gives us a certified bruiser for short yardage, goal line and ground and pound late in games.

Lynch gives us a back-up defensive end either as an edge setter on the left side or pass rusher on the right side.

Geathers we get our nickel and dime safety..... I'm pretty sure the draft will net us our deep cover 2 safety and a well respected 'captain' of the team back - which is important for chemistry!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

So if we signed both Ajayi and Lynch today and then re-sign Geathers before the draft, how would y'all feel moving forward?

Ajayi gives us a certified bruiser for short yardage, goal line and ground and pound late in games.

Lynch gives us a back-up defensive end either as an edge setter on the left side or pass rusher on the right side.

Geathers we get our nickel and dime safety..... I'm pretty sure the draft will net us our deep cover 2 safety and a well respected 'captain' of the team back - which is important for chemistry!

Nothing wrong with building depth and creating competition.  These are not household or sexy names, but if they are solid, coachable players that fit into our culture, then it's good.  We have a lot of free agents on this roster for next season and will need to re-sign several of them to maintain our core.

So, let's have another good to great draft and then PLAY BALL!!!

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would be happy that we've added some more talent.  

I would say that looking at the list of FA's there is more defensive line talent out there that we could kick the tires on.  Since all the crazy contracts have gone, it shouldn't be too expensive to do so.  

I think Zach Brown is also available as an ILB.  He could be considered as well.  

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

Any news on Jay Ajayi's visit today?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/20/jay-ajayis-visit-with-colts-ends-without-a-deal/

Jay Ajayi’s visit with Colts ends without a deal

...According to multiple reports, the two sides did not come to an agreement on a deal. Those reports leave the door open for something to happen down the road, although it’s not clear when the Colts and Ajayi might revisit that possibility...

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would be happy that we've added some more talent.  

I would say that looking at the list of FA's there is more defensive line talent out there that we could kick the tires on.  Since all the crazy contracts have gone, it shouldn't be too expensive to do so.  

I think Zach Brown is also available as an ILB.  He could be considered as well.  

I'd love to see us pick up Zach Brown. He is a true prototypical MLB that tackles very well and is always around the ball. IMO we would have a very solid trio of LBers with Brown, Walker & Leonard! If/when healthy, Ajayi would be a nice addition to our RB stable as well. 

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I don’t get the short yardage bruiser part.   And I disagree.   His skill set is almost exactly like Mack’s except he is better at catching the ball

No idea why people think he’s a power back 

12 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I don’t get the short yardage bruiser part.   And I disagree.   His skill set is almost exactly like Mack’s except he is better at catching the ball

No idea why people think he’s a power back 

Profile 1

"............ features an improving stiff arm and physicality that has become his calling card. ............ has the ability to play all three downs while mashing in short yardage and near the goal line."

Profile 2

"Scat back with decent size and blazing getaway speed. ............ has plenty of wiggle to bounce from run lane to run lane and make tacklers miss, but he has a penchant for looking to break runs way outside when the interior becomes too trafficked and he won't be able to get away with that against NFL speed. ........... is a complementary runner who can hit big runs against defenses who have been worn down, but he needs to be matched with the right scheme in order to unlock his big-play potential."

Can you fill in the blanks from their respective scouting profiles?

Ajayi has shown flashes of Macks big play abilities and Mack has shown flashes of running hard between the tackles......doesn't make them the same.

It makes them complimentary, which is why the front office is kicking the tires on him!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Profile 1

"............ features an improving stiff arm and physicality that has become his calling card. ............ has the ability to play all three downs while mashing in short yardage and near the goal line."

Profile 2

"Scat back with decent size and blazing getaway speed. ............ has plenty of wiggle to bounce from run lane to run lane and make tacklers miss, but he has a penchant for looking to break runs way outside when the interior becomes too trafficked and he won't be able to get away with that against NFL speed. ........... is a complementary runner who can hit big runs against defenses who have been worn down, but he needs to be matched with the right scheme in order to unlock his big-play potential."

Can you fill in the blanks from their respective scouting profiles?

Ajayi has shown flashes of Macks big play abilities and Mack has shown flashes of running hard between the tackles......doesn't make them the same.

Watch his highlights.  

https://youtu.be/esvToOHLdFw

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I saw a lot of screens and 3 runs off tackle, everything else was between the tackles. He's talented and has good feet from playing soccer but they are still complimentary backs......not the same.

He’s a better receiver for sure.   But he is not a power back 

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I saw a lot of screens and 3 runs off tackle, everything else was between the tackles. He's talented and has good feet from playing soccer but they are still complimentary backs......not the same.

Now watch Mack highlights.    Almost all Mack’s runs were between tackle.   They look like the same player to me 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s more about  fresh legs and wearing down defenses. Plus could help Mack’s durability.

Agree.   We won’t have to switch things up and telegraph what is coming by putting in Hines.     Hines needs to play more in the slot IMO. he’s a good receiver.  And use to be one so not a stretch at all 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Now watch Mack highlights.    Almost all Mack’s runs were between tackle.   They look like the same player to me 

Even if they are, it adds depth.  They can split carries so each can be fresh.  On top of that if Mack goes down you are either going to be giving the ball to Hines who gets 3.7 YPC on rushing plays or Wilkins and crossing your fingers every time he has it hoping he doesn't fumble it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Even if they are, it adds depth.  They can split carries so each can be fresh.  On top of that if Mack goes down you are either going to be giving the ball to Hines who gets 3.7 YPC on rushing plays or Wilkins and crossing your fingers every time he has it hoping he doesn't fumble it.  

Exactly 

I think if he doesn't end up signing with the Eagles he will end up here.  Unless we thought health wise he still wasn't where we'd like him to be.  If healthy he's a good compliment to Mack.  He can do it all from bruising to scat back type runs.  Doesn't remind me of Mack at all and I've watched plenty of his highlights even going back to college when he was known as the "J Train". They don't call you J Train if you're finesse.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I think if he doesn't end up signing with the Eagles he will end up here.  Unless we thought health wise he still wasn't where we'd like him to be.  If healthy he's a good compliment to Mack.  He can do it all from bruising to scat back type runs.  Doesn't remind me of Mack at all and I've watched plenty of his highlights even going back to college when he was known as the "J Train". They don't call you J Train if you're finesse.

It's just a name.  Watch the video, or show me a video where he excels as a power back.  Not just one or two plays.  A group of them like I posted showing he is the same as Mack.

57 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

It's just a name.  Watch the video, or show me a video where he excels as a power back.  Not just one or two plays.  A group of them like I posted showing he is the same as Mack.

You've already been shown that but continue to say what you believe so there's no point in that.

5 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Sorry I must have missed where you showed that. 

I don't have to because there's been more than one person in this thread that's had that convo with you.   If you believe he's Mack then fine for you.  Thing is no on else in the thread believes that so it's really just your own unique belief.   There's not much Mack like about Ajayi.

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

No. I just look at the videos and see 2 players that are very similar.   In fact if you were able to change teams and jerseys I doubt anyone could tell them apart 

I disagree. Ajayi breaks tackles at a larger clip. Ajayi came 2nd in yards after contact and first in forced missed tackles, before his trade to the Eagles. That is something Mack will likely not lead in. They are not similar just because they both catch out the backfield. 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't have to because there's been more than one person in this thread that's had that convo with you.   If you believe he's Mack then fine for you.  Thing is no on else in the thread believes that so it's really just your own unique belief.   There's not much Mack like about Ajayi.

So no proof is what your saying?   Just relying on what other posters have said.  Got ya