Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Visits

Bravo

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I also wouldn't call this doubt necessarily.

It is certainly no reflection on Mack or on Hines.

If anything, it is a reflection (ever so slightly) on Wilkins.

I see Ajayi as being looked at for the Robert Turbin role. Looking for a guy who can handle the tough yards between the tackles, short yardage plays, and can fill in and be versatile on all types of situations especially if injuries arise.

Turbin was our "big" back. Once he went down that became Wilkins.

Turbin was 5'10", 225.

Wilkins is 6'1", 216

Ajayi is 6'0", 223

So these guys are all fairly comparable in size. I would say if Ajayi is signed it is ultimately more as the Turbin replacement. At one point last year they carried 4 RBs with Mack, Hines, Wilkins and Turbin. All were not always active on gameday, though.

Could be similar if we sign Ajayi.

For what it's worth...   as a Turbin fan,  I noticed this his last year here...   and I don't know why....

But on the roster,  he was listed as 5'10" and 216.     

He's been in the low to mid-220's his entire career.    So the 216 kinda jumped out at me.

Just thought I'd share.

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I also wouldn't call this doubt necessarily.

It is certainly no reflection on Mack or on Hines.

If anything, it is a reflection (ever so slightly) on Wilkins.

I see Ajayi as being looked at for the Robert Turbin role. Looking for a guy who can handle the tough yards between the tackles, short yardage plays, and can fill in and be versatile on all types of situations especially if injuries arise.

Turbin was our "big" back. Once he went down that became Wilkins.

Turbin was 5'10", 225.

Wilkins is 6'1", 216

Ajayi is 6'0", 223

So these guys are all fairly comparable in size. I would say if Ajayi is signed it is ultimately more as the Turbin replacement. At one point last year they carried 4 RBs with Mack, Hines, Wilkins and Turbin. All were not always active on gameday, though.

Could be similar if we sign Ajayi.

Size maybe, not style.  

Like Krunk said, if they want him, it's a depth thing. but if our three backs are healthy, I wouldn't put Ajayi on the field over what we're doing now.  I'd much rather continue to do what we're doing, and if you're worried about health, you're bringing in a guy coming off an ACL, so I'm not sure what sense that makes.

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

Size maybe, not style.  

Like Krunk said, if they want him, it's a depth thing. but if our three backs are healthy, I wouldn't put Ajayi on the field over what we're doing now.  I'd much rather continue to do what we're doing, and if you're worried about health, you're bringing in a guy coming off an ACL, so I'm not sure what sense that makes.

Living just 45 mins outside Philly here and with so many dang Philly fans around me, I got to hear a lot about and see a lot of Ajayi in a short time.

So I say this genuinely (since tone cannot be conveyed through text and I want to emphasize this is not an attack and not said snidely), but if you are saying Ajayi's size but not style is similar to Turbin then I question what you know about him and what you've watched of him.

He is an extremely physical down-hill runner who makes some nice cuts in the hole and gets downhill quickly. He also is complete enough to handle passing down work so that it is not obviously a running down or passing down whenever he is on the field. He would serve in that "big back" role but also have the ability to function in any role we desired if anyone was ineffective or hurt.

He could be a passing game back. He could be a short yardage guy. He could serve on 1st and 2nd down. He could be a 3-down back if we ever needed. He is extremely versatile. I'd be very happy to sign him and I would hope he comes cheaply especially since he is coming off of an injury. And we know that Reich is familiar with him from his time in Philly.

When the Eagles acquired him for the stretch run in 2017 this article was put out that summarizes a lot of his qualities/abilities if folks care to read.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagle-eye-fans-will-love-jay-ajayi-s-style-as-a-running-back-19683962

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think I’d rather have CJ Anderson over Ajayi as our bruiser RB. Isn’t Anderson still a FA?

I agree. He runs well in a ZBS and pass protects very well, learned from the best in the business in Denver. :thmup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Living just 45 mins outside Philly here and with so many dang Philly fans around me, I got to hear a lot about and see a lot of Ajayi in a short time.

So I say this genuinely (since tone cannot be conveyed through text and I want to emphasize this is not an attack and not said snidely), but if you are saying Ajayi's size but not style is similar to Turbin then I question what you know about him and what you've watched of him.

He is an extremely physical down-hill runner who makes some nice cuts in the hole and gets downhill quickly. He also is complete enough to handle passing down work so that it is not obviously a running down or passing down whenever he is on the field. He would serve in that "big back" role but also have the ability to function in any role we desired if anyone was ineffective or hurt.

He could be a passing game back. He could be a short yardage guy. He could serve on 1st and 2nd down. He could be a 3-down back if we ever needed. He is extremely versatile. I'd be very happy to sign him and I would hope he comes cheaply especially since he is coming off of an injury. And we know that Reich is familiar with him from his time in Philly.

When the Eagles acquired him for the stretch run in 2017 this article was put out that summarizes a lot of his qualities/abilities if folks care to read.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagle-eye-fans-will-love-jay-ajayi-s-style-as-a-running-back-19683962

From watching as much tape as I could and from reading comments from his coaches and scouts, he's nothing like Turbin.  In the open field, due to his size, he might be more difficult to bring down, but he's not at all a physical downhill runner.  That's not his game.  Could he adapt to that role?  Possibly, but I'm fairly certain that's not why the Colts would want him.

16 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

I figured I would start A thread on these since free agent visits will start rolling in numbers within the coming days.

The first one:

RB Jay Ajayi

May as well change the title to Ajaya visit since nothing else has been discussed.....lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, #12. said:

From watching as much tape as I could and from reading comments from his coaches and scouts, he's nothing like Turbin.  In the open field, due to his size, he might be more difficult to bring down, but he's not at all a physical downhill runner.  That's not his game.  Could he adapt to that role?  Possibly, but I'm fairly certain that's not why the Colts would want him.

I guess we will have to completely agree to disagree here. What you have seen watching him and what I have seen could not be more different so I am not sure how we see things so incredibly differently.

So much so that I even started asking myself "is there criticism of him out there even early in his career about not being a physical runner?". I went back and even looked at his college scouting report.

Strengths:

"Runs with wide base and generates leg drive to push"

"Plays with bend and bursts through the hole with low pad level"

"Reliable yards-after-contact back"

"Accelerates into contact on second level"

"Asked to be physical, downhill runner between tackles and he obliged"

"Ajayi features an improving stiff arm and physicality that has become his calling card. Ajayi has the ability to play all three downs while mashing in short yardage and near the goal line."

I mean, he is the epitome of a physical back who has the benefit of being able to get downhill but also can make some cuts and can be a weapon in the passing game out of the backfield.

I would love adding him. In a pinch, he could pick up the slack for just about any specialty that any RB we have. And he could function as a full-time back if needed. The benefit is he doesn't need to me. It would be like re-creating that Ajayi/Smallwood/Clement/Sproles Philly backfield but with arguably more talent.

Either way, it may be a totally inconsequential point since we may not even sign him. I just think the prospect of signing his is very intriguing and he has many potential roles including but not limited to the old Turbin role.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

This may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer.

Are teams/players required to announce visits?

No but I'm guessing that players or at least their agents probably leak the information to the media on purpose to create the image, as much as possible that their client is a hot commodity.  

Teams who believe that the player is being courted by 8 other teams for example might be more willing to overpay to bring him in.  

It's in the player and their agent's interest to let everyone know the player is being courted by a lot of teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know this thread is more about Ajayi and other potential visits but I just want to echo what folks have said about CJ Anderson. He’s really the only FA back I’m interested in. I’ve loved him since his first season as a Bronco and it was nice to see him still running hard after getting a chance with the Rams. Some guys you just root for and I’d love to root for him as a Colt. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Ajayi is good as depth I guess. But coming off an ACL injury and having had other injury issues...not sure how reliable he will. Plus he doesn't catch passes.  

Really wanted Coleman. Would be disappointed pretty disappointed if Ajayi gets similar money.

Agree, would much rather have Coleman than Ajayi. If Ballard is possibly shopping a RB, he missed out imo, would rather roll with what we have or draft, than Crowell or Ajayi. There might be a reason why those guys are on a different team every season.

1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Agree, would much rather have Coleman than Ajayi. If Ballard is possibly shopping a RB, he missed out imo, would rather roll with what we have or draft, than Crowell or Ajayi. There might be a reason why those guys are on a different team every season.

I would take CJ Anderson over anyone out there because he would be the perfect thunder to Mack's lightning IMO.

• Like 1

Is it possible to make a sticky post at the beginning of the thread with a list of actual visits? Even whispers.

This is probably the 5th time I open this topic to look for some news, and its still all about Ajayi's running style lol. :) Honestly, I couldn't care less about his style, but I am curious about any news...

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

Is it possible to make a sticky post at the beginning of the thread with a list of actual visits? Even whispers.

This is probably the 5th time I open this topic to look for some news, and its still all about Ajayi's running style lol. :) Honestly, I couldn't care less about his style, but I am curious about any news...

Well I was going to keep updating the list.....

However the Colts have literally done nothing (atleast no news) Not even schedule another visit. Sooooo this is where we are at. Lol

• Thanks 1

• If Ajayi is healthy that might be a pretty decent addition.  I'm not sure that will be the case though. Everybody is different but I remember when EJ tore his ACL.  It took him more than one season to get back right.

7 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Well I was going to keep updating the list.....

However the Colts have literally done nothing (atleast no news) Not even schedule another visit. Sooooo this is where we are at. Lol

Ballard is just now rolling out of bed, he thought Free Agency started on Friday :funny:. Great news though, he still has 100 Mill so we are rich :billiejean:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard is just now rolling out of bed, he thought Free Agency started on Friday :funny:. Great news though, he still has 100 Mill so we are rich :billiejean:

Well if he doesn’t plan on usuing some of it I think it’s about time the forum members get in on some of those millions.

Ehhhh what do you say Ballard? It’s a windy day and our fence blew down, time to put a new one up.

I’m not picky, I will literally take $50

Just now, bravo4460 said:

Well if he doesn’t plan on usuing some of it I think it’s about time the forum members get in on some of those millions.

Ehhhh what do you say Ballard? It’s a windy day and our fence blew down, time to put a new one up.

ill literally take $50

I am thinking about calling Ballard up just to see if he will loan me 7 bucks so I can by a BigMac meal with a large fry :thmup:, then again he probably won't :(

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am thinking about calling Ballard up just to see if he will loan me 7 bucks so I can by a BigMac meal with a large fry :thmup:, then again he probably won't :(

Naaa. Dollar Menu only

35 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Attn all!!!!!

This is not a drill. We have our second confirmed visit!

S Kentrell Brice

He is a special teams and depth at most, CB will probably throw 10mm at him plus incentives. Also this is on his Wikipedia page "However, his 2018 season was a disappointment, as he missed 12 of his 57 total tackle attempts on the season and allowed a passer rating of 150.1 on 29 throws into his primary coverage."

According to Pro Football Focus, Brice allowed a passer rating of 150.1 on 29 throws into his primary coverage and missed 12 of 57 tackle attempts. He allowed big plays down the middle of the field and too often swung and missed as an open-field tackler.

Of the 93 safeties in the NFL that played 300 or more snaps last season, Brice ranked 87th in overall grade at PFF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

According to Pro Football Focus, Brice allowed a passer rating of 150.1 on 29 throws into his primary coverage and missed 12 of 57 tackle attempts. He allowed big plays down the middle of the field and too often swung and missed as an open-field tackler.

Of the 93 safeties in the NFL that played 300 or more snaps last season, Brice ranked 87th in overall grade at PFF.

Great player to sign lol

26 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Why sign a guy like this

The guy doesn’t excite me either....

BUT....

If you look again at the tweet...  Brice visited Houston the other day and Tampa is also interested.

That’s three NFL teams that feel like they know something about the guy...   he’s got to have some vale somewhere to someone...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The guy doesn’t excite me either....

BUT....

If you look again at the tweet...  He visited Houston the other day and Tampa is also interested.

That’s three NFL teams that feel like they know something about the guy...   he’s got to have some vale somewhere to someone...

He VISITED... no one bothered to offer him a contract or get him signed, including the team that knows the most about him and let him walk.... Green Bay

4 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

He VISITED... no one bothered to offer him a contract or get him signed, including the team that knows the most about him and let him walk.... Green Bay

He allowed one of the highest passer rating this year and plus he missed on 12 tackles 

7 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Huh?

According to the tweet, he’s visiting TODAY.   I have no idea if he has visited already?

I get the concept that one team let him walk.   Teams let guys go all the time, they go to other teams and they see something and get signed...   and sometimes they turn into something.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

According to the tweet, he’s visiting TODAY.   I have no idea if he has visited already?

I get the concept that one team let him walk.   Teams let guys go all the time, they go to other teams and they see something and get signed...   and sometimes they turn into something.

Who knows if  he was offered a contract