Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Visits

Bravo

Ajayi is good as depth I guess. But coming off an ACL injury and having had other injury issues...not sure how reliable he will. Plus he doesn't catch passes.  

Really wanted Coleman. Would be disappointed pretty disappointed if Ajayi gets similar money.

I believe Mack is clearly the number 1. However if Ajayi came in and was healthy he would be a great #2 paired with Hines/Wilkins as #3. As stated before Hines obviously having more of a roll in the passing game.

There are injury concerns for sure.  The physical will be important.    I trust Ballard to properly evaluate.  If he signs Ajayi then he feels good enough about the knee and back to take the risk.  I’m sure he will mitigate against the risk some in terms of contract years and dollars.  Should be a pretty cheap low year sign.  If the physical is not encouraging then he won’t be a Colt.  Simple as that. Doesn’t hurt anything to kick the tires on him. 

38 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Not sure why we need him.  Seems to be filling space just because.

If we weren't going to get Bell, I was fine with Mack, Wilkins, and Hines.

You seem like an individual who could win the $20 million lottery but then complain that there were 2 winners and you only received $10 million each.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Not sure why we need him.  Seems to be filling space just because.

If we weren't going to get Bell, I was fine with Mack, Wilkins, and Hines.

Give the Bell crap a break.  He was never in Ballard's sites, and for good reason.  He is a diva and a me guy, not a team guy and not a Colt thank God!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh I'd really like to see him be a Colt.

Guess Ballard does have some interest in a RB.

I have never been a fan of Mack as the #1 back.   I have said multiple times that we could and should upgrade the position,    I posted in another thread that I did not think Ballard would upgrade the RB position because Mack did gain a lot of yards at the end of the season. BUt he missed games.  And someone responded that is why we need to upgrade.  Whoever you are you seem to be onto something.

And I couldn't be happier.  

16 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I have never been a fan of Mack as the #1 back.   I have said multiple times that we could and should upgrade the position,    I posted in another thread that I did not think Ballard would upgrade the RB position because Mack did gain a lot of yards at the end of the season. BUt he missed games.  And someone responded that is why we need to upgrade.  Whoever you are you seem to be onto something.

And I couldn't be happier.  

He wouldn't be a Upgrade.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He wouldn't be a Upgrade.

He's not the power back people think he is.  He actually runs a lot like Mack, but dances and bounces even more.  Gase shipped him out because he wouldn't take a 5 yard gain and was always trying to hit the home run.  Just reading his scouting report.  He's a former soccer player.  That's where a lot of the excessive dancing/footwork apparently comes from.  

If you want a decisive runner who gets north and south, Wilkins is the better option, honestly.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Agreed, but he does bring a different dimension to the run game. Reich likes to rotate players anyway, so they will just be used differently. 

Philly got a lot out of Ajay in their SB run most should remember.
 Frank likes something about him, no matter what Gase or his soccer coaches thought.  Can't see us signing him for much at this time.

There are still a lot of good options out there. CJ Anderson who is a bruiser at RB, Tate at WR, Suh, Houston, and who knows we could still even trade for Frank Clark? Let me say this, we may not pursue any of these guys but it is still early in Free Agency. Suh on a 1 yr deal I would definitely do if the opp is there, he is older but for 1 yr hell yes. Everyone in here wants a power back, why not Anderson to pair with Mack. Anderson was good last year and he's healthy. He averaged 6 yards a carry this past season. 

• Like 3

This doesn't really move the needle for me. Seems like a guy who would start the season on PUP and then maybe add something to the rotation later in the year when the other backs are maybe nicked up. I'm not against it, but if we sign him it would be for depth more than anything. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

This doesn't really move the needle for me. Seems like a guy who would start the season on PUP and then maybe add something to the rotation later in the year when the other backs are maybe nicked up. I'm not against it, but if we sign him it would be for depth more than anything. 

I agree but the Unavailability for TC and start of the season(PUP) depends on his rehab

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are still a lot of good options out there. CJ Anderson who is a bruiser at RB, Tate at WR, Suh, Houston, and who knows we could still even trade for Frank Clark? Let me say this, we may not pursue any of these guys but it is still early in Free Agency. Suh on a 1 yr deal I would definitely do if the opp is there, he is older but for 1 yr hell yes. Everyone in here wants a power back, why not Anderson to pair with Mack. Anderson was good last year and he's healthy. He averaged 6 yards a carry this past season. 

I expect a low priced vet S pre-draft. Probably a DT without any guarantees.
 That is about it.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

More like a meet and greet to let him know we are interested once he is ready to go. Yes that could be like the Inman signing, into the season.

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I hope his carries are very limited going forward. Last on the list.
 He is a gadget guy to me.

hybrid guys are great if used properly. Guys like McCaf (Car), White (NE), Kamara (NO), Cohen (CHI), Barkley (NYG) are all highly productive in the passing game. 

Hines was our 4th leading receiver last year behind Hilton, Ebron, and Rogers.

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He is often used in the hybrid RB/WR role(Darren Sproles) and therefore in my book is not a true RB DC like Mack and Wilkins

Curious.....

Darren Spoles is a running back and people in football thinks of him as a RB.   And the Colts think of Hines as a RB. 

Ok....   whatever....

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Curious.....

Darren Spoles is a running back and people in football thinks of him as a RB.   And the Colts think of Hines as a RB. 

Ok....   whatever....

Just like there are different types of WRs, there are different types of RBs. You have every down backs, short yardage backs, hybrid or all purpose backs. Sproles was absolutely a hybrid/APB. He had a lot more yards catching the ball than he did rushing. ~4800 receiving vs 3400ish running. So should we think of him more as a WR than a RB? 

Hines had 80ish rushing attempts and 80ish WR targets. He had more yards catching than rushing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Curious.....

Ok....   whatever....

Did I ever say he wasn’t a RB but a player doesn’t have to play the position that they are listed at

The NFL # rules play a big role

Here is an example from my career

I was listed as a OL/DL in every program but didn’t play a significant D snap as a Jr. and was not even on the Depth Chart as a Senior

Back to Hines 

I see him as a hybrid and not a featured back and therefore not truly in the RB depth chart without an asterisk 

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'd be thrilled with CJ Anderson.    I wanted the Colts to sign him last year.   He's a good RB and can block well.   

• Like 2