Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robin

CB Pierre Desir Re-signing

Just now, lollygagger8 said:

Desir shut down Deandre Hopkins (top 5 WR in league) twice and Amari Cooper (no slouch either) when asked. Not sure how that's overrated. He was pretty decent for the Colts the year before as well. 

This is an overstatement, to say the least. Desir wasn't alone on an island against either guy, and Hopkins was hurt during the playoff game. A lot of the good coverage came from combo coverage, and Kenny Moore. 

Desir did not play bad against Houston, but he didn't shut down Hopkins. Same for Cooper. That's like saying Hunt shut down the Cowboys run game. 

Good re-signing on Chris Ballard's part.

Maybe we will play the market for a LB in K.J.Wright or Shaq Barrett next???

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Shaq Barrett

Holder said the Colts see him as a 3-4 OLB, so probably not. I agree.

13 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Nice! Just resign Geathers and we’re set!

Set for what?

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Have to agree with you. I'm not a ran of the 3 year deal part honestly dude is already like 28. If his play falls off I hope we can dump him without hurting the team too much 

If it's three years, $30m like stitches predicts, I'm with you. If it's 3/18-ish, I'm fine with it.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If it's three years, $30m like stitches predicts, I'm with you. If it's 3/18-ish, I'm fine with it.

I agree let's hope for the best. I just thought if he left he would have been one if the easier players to replace. Him and Geathers 

IF this is correct (??? couldn't find anything on Rapoport's twitter feed) then it's not a bad price. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

IF this is correct (??? couldn't find anything on Rapoport's twitter feed) then it's not a bad price. 

Yeah, that's decent.

Just now, Superman said:

Yeah, that's decent.

See I managed to scare you into accepting the real price by aiming high in my guess... :D 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

See I managed to scare you into accepting the real price by aiming high in my guess... :D 

Stop playing with my emotions!

31 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Glad he's back for another 3 years!

Great resigning Ballard now after 4 get us tome decent to good additions that don't remind us of the terrible Funchess signing.

I was about to post my guess of 3/20-3/24.

Seeing that it’s 3/22.5 or $7.5 per is very very nice.  $12 mill guaranteed is nice.

I suspect there was at least a little compromise on both sides.   Happy for all parties involved.

Congrats to PD and CB.

:colts:

Much like Hunt and now Desir......it shows that if you produce on the 1 or 2 year contracts the front office will reward you.

Sets a good precedent for Ebron and Funchess (if he balls out with us).....

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is an overstatement, to say the least. Desir wasn't alone on an island against either guy, and Hopkins was hurt during the playoff game. A lot of the good coverage came from combo coverage, and Kenny Moore. 

Desir did not play bad against Houston, but he didn't shut down Hopkins. Same for Cooper. That's like saying Hunt shut down the Cowboys run game. 

Sure, they rolled coverage towards both those guys, but Desir did the heavy lifting. 

Plus, you can't be salty if these contract numbers are correct 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Pretty close to what I predicted which was 3 years 23 mil. 

Pretty good payday for a guy who came after cutdown day a year and half ago.  

If that is true that is a nice pay raise but we didn’t break the bank. I can imagine he wanted to stay hear. He has three kids two which are school age and I can imagine stability was important.

28 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man , you really don't like Desir for some reason lol 

Why does anyone care if some nobody on an anonymous message board likes Pierre Desir, or anyone else?  You think that will impact how Pierre performs on the field one iota?

That's a pretty decent contract. Welcome back, Pierre. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Can’t complain as it is as close to the 7.5 per year as I speculated about earlier. 

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Sure, they rolled coverage towards both those guys, but Desir did the heavy lifting. 

Plus, you can't be salty if these contract numbers are correct 

Not salty at all. I'm fine with the contract and re-signing the player.

Regarding the coverage, they didn't just roll coverage toward. There were several plays where Desir wasn't even lined up on Hopkins, and wasn't primary or secondary coverage. What I'm saying is that we're giving Desir credit like he shadowed Hopkins all game and locked him down, and that's not at all what happened. This was not Vontae Davis shadowing Demaryius Thomas. Still, Desir played a good game, and he fits our defense. I'm fine with keeping him, just didn't see him as critical to the defense like others did.

If the numbers are legit then it is a solid value. Considering what other CBs like Nelson and Roby were getting in this weak CB market, he likely could have cashed in even more.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Regarding the coverage, they didn't just roll coverage toward. There were several plays where Desir wasn't even lined up on Hopkins, and wasn't primary or secondary coverage. What I'm saying is that we're giving Desir credit like he shadowed Hopkins all game and locked him down, and that's not at all what happened. This was not Vontae Davis shadowing Demaryius Thomas. Still, Desir played a good game, and he fits our defense. I'm fine with keeping him, just didn't see him as critical to the defense like others did.

Yeah he didn't follow him every single play, for entire game, but when he was on hopkins (both games) and cooper he did a great job. Idk what kind of grades he was given those games, but I'll guess it was high. Plus I believe he was #2 CB in league against the run last year. 

It was time to pay him, and I'm glad Colts did and that he's back. 

11 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Great resigning Ballard now after 4 get us tome decent to good additions that don't remind us of the terrible Funchess signing.

Funchess wasn't a terrible signing

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

With Desir, Wilson, Moore, Hairston and Collins all with varying degrees of starting capabilities.....that provides the FO the opportunity to draft another young corner that is capable of starting day 1 (if thats the BPA at the time) or a project later in the draft. Either way we're covered now.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was about to post my guess of 3/20-3/24.

Seeing that it’s 3/22.5 or $7.5 per is very very nice.  $12 mill guaranteed is nice.

I suspect there was at least a little compromise on both sides.   Happy for all parties involved.

Congrats to PD and CB.

:colts:

That exactly the deal I was hoping he would get much higher would have been too much.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah...it's sort of like how people say Smith shut down Watt. Obviously, the coaches didn't leave him on an island with Watt all game. They had a plan and gave Smith help.

Same with Desir and Hopkins. 

But I am all for bringing him back. Was not feeling going CB early in this draft.

43 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Me on the other hand.....

ISHd.gif

I just did a silent fist pump in my office.  But the meme is what I wanted to do.   Lol  

Now let’s bring back Inman. 

The contract is fine. I like Ballard's approach here...let them test the market and see what's what. Pretty likely he didn't find his market to be as high as others. 

And surprised about the $12M in gtd money though. Not a lot relative to other players...but it's more than Ballard has given anybody outside of Sheard.

Just now, stitches said:

So it's $8.33M...not $7.5M. Not a big difference...just wonder why Schefter and Rap have different numbers.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

So it's $8.33M...not $7.5M. Not a big difference...just wonder why Schefter and Rap have different numbers.

Rap just reported the same numbers. I am not sure the first report was accurate from the NFL Draft Diamonds account. 

Hah that's what I guessed, or at least said that's the most amount of money I'd have been okay with. It's a fine deal and he'll be off the books when we need to shell out big bucks to our young guys.

Great signing, I am sorry I had Chris Ballard wrong as far as Desir. Chris said he would reward his own players. True Pierre did not get drafted here. But he played here last year and did an outstanding job. He was great for the locker room culture. That makes him a Colt. Chris Ballad kept his word. This signing gives me confidence he will do the same when Ebron, Anthony C, Ty, K Moore, and Leonard becomes due. Good job Chris Ballard

We need to bring back Geathers or get Clinton Dix.  

With our cap space we should come out of free agency at least as good as last year.  Quite frankly we should come out of free agency better.  

If we get a solid or better starter back there, combine that with some value signings or even just standing pat, Ballard has improved the team marginally before going into the draft.  

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Rap just reported the same numbers. I am not sure the first report was accurate from the NFL Draft Diamonds account. 

Maybe there is a little bit of incentives in there?