Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Pierre Desir Re-signing

Robin

Just now, lollygagger8 said:

Desir shut down Deandre Hopkins (top 5 WR in league) twice and Amari Cooper (no slouch either) when asked. Not sure how that's overrated. He was pretty decent for the Colts the year before as well. 

This is an overstatement, to say the least. Desir wasn't alone on an island against either guy, and Hopkins was hurt during the playoff game. A lot of the good coverage came from combo coverage, and Kenny Moore. 

Desir did not play bad against Houston, but he didn't shut down Hopkins. Same for Cooper. That's like saying Hunt shut down the Cowboys run game. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Have to agree with you. I'm not a ran of the 3 year deal part honestly dude is already like 28. If his play falls off I hope we can dump him without hurting the team too much 

If it's three years, $30m like stitches predicts, I'm with you. If it's 3/18-ish, I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If it's three years, $30m like stitches predicts, I'm with you. If it's 3/18-ish, I'm fine with it.

I agree let's hope for the best. I just thought if he left he would have been one if the easier players to replace. Him and Geathers 

I was about to post my guess of 3/20-3/24.

Seeing that it’s 3/22.5 or $7.5 per is very very nice.  $12 mill guaranteed is nice.

I suspect there was at least a little compromise on both sides.   Happy for all parties involved.

Congrats to PD and CB.

:colts:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is an overstatement, to say the least. Desir wasn't alone on an island against either guy, and Hopkins was hurt during the playoff game. A lot of the good coverage came from combo coverage, and Kenny Moore. 

Desir did not play bad against Houston, but he didn't shut down Hopkins. Same for Cooper. That's like saying Hunt shut down the Cowboys run game. 

Sure, they rolled coverage towards both those guys, but Desir did the heavy lifting. 

Plus, you can't be salty if these contract numbers are correct 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man , you really don't like Desir for some reason lol 

Why does anyone care if some nobody on an anonymous message board likes Pierre Desir, or anyone else?  You think that will impact how Pierre performs on the field one iota?

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Sure, they rolled coverage towards both those guys, but Desir did the heavy lifting. 

Plus, you can't be salty if these contract numbers are correct 

Not salty at all. I'm fine with the contract and re-signing the player.

Regarding the coverage, they didn't just roll coverage toward. There were several plays where Desir wasn't even lined up on Hopkins, and wasn't primary or secondary coverage. What I'm saying is that we're giving Desir credit like he shadowed Hopkins all game and locked him down, and that's not at all what happened. This was not Vontae Davis shadowing Demaryius Thomas. Still, Desir played a good game, and he fits our defense. I'm fine with keeping him, just didn't see him as critical to the defense like others did.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Regarding the coverage, they didn't just roll coverage toward. There were several plays where Desir wasn't even lined up on Hopkins, and wasn't primary or secondary coverage. What I'm saying is that we're giving Desir credit like he shadowed Hopkins all game and locked him down, and that's not at all what happened. This was not Vontae Davis shadowing Demaryius Thomas. Still, Desir played a good game, and he fits our defense. I'm fine with keeping him, just didn't see him as critical to the defense like others did.

Yeah he didn't follow him every single play, for entire game, but when he was on hopkins (both games) and cooper he did a great job. Idk what kind of grades he was given those games, but I'll guess it was high. Plus I believe he was #2 CB in league against the run last year. 

It was time to pay him, and I'm glad Colts did and that he's back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

With Desir, Wilson, Moore, Hairston and Collins all with varying degrees of starting capabilities.....that provides the FO the opportunity to draft another young corner that is capable of starting day 1 (if thats the BPA at the time) or a project later in the draft. Either way we're covered now.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was about to post my guess of 3/20-3/24.

Seeing that it’s 3/22.5 or $7.5 per is very very nice.  $12 mill guaranteed is nice.

I suspect there was at least a little compromise on both sides.   Happy for all parties involved.

Congrats to PD and CB.

:colts:

That exactly the deal I was hoping he would get much higher would have been too much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah...it's sort of like how people say Smith shut down Watt. Obviously, the coaches didn't leave him on an island with Watt all game. They had a plan and gave Smith help.

Same with Desir and Hopkins. 

But I am all for bringing him back. Was not feeling going CB early in this draft.

• Like 1

The contract is fine. I like Ballard's approach here...let them test the market and see what's what. Pretty likely he didn't find his market to be as high as others. 

And surprised about the $12M in gtd money though. Not a lot relative to other players...but it's more than Ballard has given anybody outside of Sheard.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

So it's $8.33M...not $7.5M. Not a big difference...just wonder why Schefter and Rap have different numbers.

Rap just reported the same numbers. I am not sure the first report was accurate from the NFL Draft Diamonds account. 

• Like 1

Great signing, I am sorry I had Chris Ballard wrong as far as Desir. Chris said he would reward his own players. True Pierre did not get drafted here. But he played here last year and did an outstanding job. He was great for the locker room culture. That makes him a Colt. Chris Ballad kept his word. This signing gives me confidence he will do the same when Ebron, Anthony C, Ty, K Moore, and Leonard becomes due. Good job Chris Ballard

We need to bring back Geathers or get Clinton Dix.  

With our cap space we should come out of free agency at least as good as last year.  Quite frankly we should come out of free agency better.  

If we get a solid or better starter back there, combine that with some value signings or even just standing pat, Ballard has improved the team marginally before going into the draft.  

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Rap just reported the same numbers. I am not sure the first report was accurate from the NFL Draft Diamonds account. 

Maybe there is a little bit of incentives in there?