Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoose

Desir a test for Ballard?

I begin by saying I am a Ballard fan. He's done a marvelous job rebuilding this team so far. His miserly position on free agency can be frustrating at times, but I know he has a vision and a plan. 

One of his chief reasons for not going hog wild in free agency is saving the team's money for their own. 

Pierre Desir played extremely well last year for this team. After years of living on the fringe of the NFL, he is finally up for a solid payday. And he has earned it. 

Will Ballard uphold the mantra of rewarding the team's better players with a new deal for Desir?

If not, then there will be inevitable questions about how serious the Colts are about keeping and rewarding their own. 

If Desir goes elsewhere, and the price isn't astronomically crazy, then given the Colts' cap room, I wonder how that mantra can be seriously respected any longer.

What say you?

Just now, Hoose said:

I begin by saying I am a Ballard fan. He's done a marvelous job rebuilding this team so far. His miserly position on free agency can be frustrating at times, but I know he has a vision and a plan. 

One of his chief reasons for not going hog wild in free agency is saving the team's money for their own. 

Pierre Desir played extremely well last year for this team. After years of living on the fringe of the NFL, he is finally up for a solid payday. And he has earned it. 

Will Ballard uphold the mantra of rewarding the team's better players with a new deal for Desir?

If not, then there will be inevitable questions about how serious the Colts are about keeping and rewarding their own. 

If Desir goes elsewhere, and the price isn't astronomically crazy, that mantra of rewarding and keeping their own will be seriously questioned IMO. 

What say you?

But Ballard not done ,maybe he gets a better player than desir 

I agree. His contract shouldn’t be crazy. We should of never allowed him to hit FA

There's nothing wrong with letting a guy test the market. In Desir's case, I think he'll be back. He's what, 28, been in the league for 5-6 years. I think his hopes of a mega multi-year contract are over.

Give him a three year deal at a fair price and let's move on. We're still needing to draft a CB this year regardless

3 years $21 mil. with good guaranteed money, hopefully gets it done with Desir. :) 

That assumes Ballard is willing to offer it. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

3 years $21 mil. with good guaranteed money, hopefully gets it done with Desir. :) 

I'm with you there. That would be a very fair contract in this new market. 

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That assumes Ballard is willing to offer it. 

That's fair, maybe even $8M per year too. He's played well and for the money he's a good guy to have back. I've always just thought he was "just a guy" but with free agency, you may not even be able to get someone.

27 minutes ago, Hoose said:

If Desir goes elsewhere, and the price isn't astronomically crazy, then given the Colts' cap room, I wonder how that mantra can be seriously respected any longer.

What say you?

I really do t understand what everyone loves so much about Desir he had a few good games this year. Moore undoubtedly played better than Desir. There are better Corners available in FA. Ronald Darby is still there if he can stay healthy that’s an immediate upgrade over Desir. Am I saying I want that to happen? Not necessarily but my whole point is we will be fine if Desir walks, he’s not a lockdown elite defender. 

I think it's definitely a test for CB.  But I have 2 somewhat conflicting thoughts on Desir:

1. He played well last year, but this defense needs top-notch pass-rushers more than great corners. 

2.  CB talks a lot about culture & how you can't buy a locker room. Well, part of the way you maintain a culture is by rewarding good performance and making sure players know they're appreciated. 

I'm sure CB has a number he's willing to pay, and someone else will either beat that or not.  Personally,  I hope he stays.

He let Melvin walk, and now Melvin isn't seen as the corner that he was here in Indy. Trust The Ballard

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Man I must be missing it but what makes Desir this must return guy?

I saw a tweet from PFF and he actually led the league in a couple statistics. If it don’t break the bank why change what’s not broke.

I don’t view the Desir signing as a test at all.

Ballard has always been clear about re-signing his own.   He would like to,  but he recognizes that the player may have a higher value to another team than he does to the Colts.   Ballard recognizes he could lose the player and says that while he’s happy for the playet for  getting a better contract elsewhere, he’s also willing to let the player go confident that he can be replaced in some way.

More specific to Desir, Ballard has also always said that cornerback is NOT a premium position in this defense.  That it doesn’t require a premium draft pick or a premium salary.

I’m a Desir fan.   I was happy when we signed him a few years back, happy when he turned into a good player for us.   I would like him re-signed.   But I suspect he’s going to get PAID in FA and Ballard is going to say congratulations and wish him well.   

Maybe we sign a different free agent corner?   We likely also draft a corner.  And Wilson and perhaps Collins get their turn to step up into the starting spotlight.   Ballard is confident he can find a good replacement.  

Clearly desir doesn’t fit in to Ballard/Reich’s plans. Doesn’t get more complicated than that. 

Desir is making a very low salary. He deserves a big raise. We will see if Ballard matches any offer he gets. I was shocked when I seen how little he was making.

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

What say you?

Saving money for the same players who while on the team couldn’t get us over the hump. So what good or how will resigning the same players improve the team? This sounds good but that’s about it.

3 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

But Ballard not done ,maybe he gets a better player than desir 

He better hope so if Desir goes elsewhere for pennies on the dollar.

Desir has improved over last year, and if we actually put a little pressure on the QB........

I think he will continue to improve

Is he a top tier CB, worthy of 18M?

Absolutely not

Is he a decent  player that fits THIS system..... Yes!

Is he a CB that may (WILL) fail miserably in a one-on-one coverage defense?

Absolutely!

He is a sure tackler,  When asked, he can stay with a WR, for a short period

To me.... Desir is someone I want back next year......  We WILL have to replace him, if he leaves

That takes up some draft capitol .........

To me........  WRITE THE 7M check

Good news! Ballard has stayed true to the Creed of keep and reward your own who have earned it. Good for him. 

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

What say you?

Excellent topic and as of a few minutes ago the question was answered.

Desir and Hunt played their hearts out AND improved as players and were rewarded.

This will help with re-signing the Ebrons and Funchess's of the world on those 1 or 2 year contracts!

He has his credibility maintained.

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Excellent topic and as of a few minutes ago the question was answered.

Desir and Hunt played their hearts out AND improved as players and were rewarded.

This will help with re-signing the Ebrons and Funchess's of the world on those 1 or 2 year contracts!

He has his credibility maintained.

Huzzah!

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

What say you?

Great post, and for the record I have been very critical of Chris Ballard in free agency especially with Pierre Desir. At first it looked like he was willing to let Desir go. 

But after today’s news I must say that Chris is passing this test. Because he said he would take care of the Colts own players. From one fan perspective Desir put in work last year. He added to that Great Locker Room Culture I keep hearing about. Is he perfect? But he’s a Colt I don’t mind cheering for 

Just now, JR Indy said:

Great post, and for the record I have been very critical of Chris Ballard in free agency especially with Pierre Desir. At first it looked like he was willing to let Desir go. 

But after today’s news I must say that Chris is passing this test. Because he said he would take care of the Colts own players. From one fan perspective Desir put in work last year. He added to that Great Locker Room Culture I keep hearing about. Is he perfect? No But he’s a Colt I don’t mind cheering for 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:18 PM, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Where did Inman go?

5 hours ago, Lef said:

Clearly desir doesn’t fit in to Ballard/Reich’s plans. Doesn’t get more complicated than that. 

Clearly, lol

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t view the Desir signing as a test at all.

Ballard has always been clear about re-signing his own.   He would like to,  but he recognizes that the player may have a higher value to another team than he does to the Colts.   Ballard recognizes he could lose the player and says that while he’s happy for the playet for  getting a better contract elsewhere, he’s also willing to let the player go confident that he can be replaced in some way.

More specific to Desir, Ballard has also always said that cornerback is NOT a premium position in this defense.  That it doesn’t require a premium draft pick or a premium salary.

I’m a Desir fan.   I was happy when we signed him a few years back, happy when he turned into a good player for us.   I would like him re-signed.   But I suspect he’s going to get PAID in FA and Ballard is going to say congratulations and wish him well.   

Maybe we sign a different free agent corner?   We likely also draft a corner.  And Wilson and perhaps Collins get their turn to step up into the starting spotlight.   Ballard is confident he can find a good replacement.  

He can say it and he has said it and it is absolutely true.    But people who don't understand this defense don't believe it.   

Now Strong Safety,  that's a different story and a big time need in this D.   I hope we can sign Geathers and add another SS in the 1st or second round.  I say 1st because it would appear the top DE's and DT's  both UT and NT will be gone by then.

11 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

He can say it and he has said it and it is absolutely true.    But people who don't understand this defense don't believe it.   

Now Strong Safety,  that's a different story and a big time need in this D.   I hope we can sign Geathers and add another SS in the 1st or second round.  I say 1st because it would appear the top DE's and DT's  both UT and NT will be gone by then.

Good post...

Where we disagree is that I think there will be a DL of some type that Ballard will value enough at pick 26.   There’s quality AND quality to this DL class.   I hope Ballard can grab one at 26.  

And while I’d prefer this player at pick 34 I’d even be willing to grab DT Jeffrey Simmons at 26 if all the other targets are gone.   I’d be willing to wait until 2020 to get him on the field.  (Forgive the Man-Crush) But I want him!

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post...

Where we disagree is that I think there will be a DL of some type that Ballard will value enough at pick 26.   There’s quality AND quality to this DL class.   I hope Ballard can grab one at 26.  

And while I’d prefer this player at pick 34 I’d even be willing to grab DT Jeffrey Simmons at 26 if all the other targets are gone.   I’d be willing to wait until 2020 to get him on the field.  (Forgive the Man-Crush) But I want him!

You could bank the farm last year we were going Oline, you can just about bank the farm this year we're going Dline unless there's a huge run on talent.

3 hours ago, Rally5 said:

You could bank the farm last year we were going Oline, you can just about bank the farm this year we're going Dline unless there's a huge run on talent.

I hope you're right.   But I think by the time we draft BPA will not be Dline.

49 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I hope you're right.   But I think by the time we draft BPA will not be Dline.

Could be, no telling how the draft will fall, I just listen to Ballard and he tends to be pretty transparent.  Great news is, we have depth so we can truly look for the best deal on the board and do whatever drives value and need, I like how we're positioned very much.