Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to Jets

So...   to recap....

Bell did not get what he wanted, though he did get a very good deal...   just not a great deal.

His price came down and Ballard STILL didn’t bite.   No draft picks, just money, which we have, and Ballard could have signed him yet didn’t.

And I’m ok with it. 

• Like 6

Food for thought...Bell's gtd money is more gtd money than Ballard gave to Autry, Ebron, Sheard and Glow COMBINED.

Oh well...that was never going to happen.

I still want Tevin Coleman anyways. Apparently, he wants $6-7M/year. On a 2-3 year deal...sign me up for that. He's a perfect fit for this defense...can run between the tackles and catch passes better than anyone on the roster. Let him and Mack run 10-15x each game...and you will have a fresh and healthy run game all season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Food for thought...Bell's gtd money is more gtd money than Ballard gave to Autry, Ebron, Sheard and Glow COMBINED.

Oh well...that was never going to happen.

I still want Tevin Coleman anyways. Apparently, he wants $6-7M/year. On a 2-3 year deal...sign me up for that. He's a perfect fit for this defense...can run between the tackles and catch passes better than anyone on the roster. Let him and Mack run 10-15x each game...and you will have a fresh and healthy run game all season.

I think we need at least one big back in the stable

We have Hines and Wilkins that are good depth

We need a battering ram sort of type to put it when the style is in need

I wanted to draft Coleman, after watching him at IU

He is talented

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So...   to recap....

Bell did not get what he wanted, though he did get a very good deal...   just not a great deal.

His price came down and Ballard STILL didn’t bite.   No draft picks, just money, which we have, and Ballard could have signed him yet didn’t.

And I’m ok with it. 

New too! I want us to remain mediocre. Why should we want to sIgn any difference makers. 

• Like 1

Sexy signings = Raiders, Jets, Packers, and Redskins. Non sexy so far = Colts. I would bet anyone in here that the Colts finish with a better record than all these teams.  Jags were super Kate Upton sexy in Free Agency last year and finished 5-11. Free Agency = overrated, sorry folks but it is true. Free Agency doesn't buy you Championships. Yes your team should spend big for maybe 1 or 2 players but they need to be the right players.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sexy signings = Raiders, Jets, Packers, and Redskins. Non sexy so far = Colts. I would bet anyone in here that the Colts finish with a better record than all these teams.  

That’s not a stretch we were already better than those teams. Are we better than the Chiefs, Patriots, Texans? Teams that can prevent us from at least making the super bowl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That’s not a stretch we were already better than those teams. Are we better than the Chiefs, Patriots, Texans? Teams that can prevent us from at least making the super bowl

We are better than the Texans IMO, Chiefs and Pats no, but Ballard still can sign a free agent or 2 that will help. He has the draft too. I think we are the 3rd best team in the AFC as of now and that is with free agency and draft yet to be played out.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are better than the Texans IMO, Chiefs and Pats no, but Ballard still can sign a free agent or 2 that will help. He has the draft too. I think we are the 3rd best team in the AFC as of now and that is with free agency and draft yet to be played out.

That’s the measuring stick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Browns are my sleeper in the AFC to make noise.

I think the Browns have already leaped the Steelers and Ravens in their own division.  I also think that the Browns are now, man for man, more talented than the Colts right now.

(Please notice, I said "right now".  Also, I didn't guarantee that they would beat us.)

• Like 2

Just talking about the money part, as a NJ resident we get taxed to high heaven, not sure what the difference would have been, but Pennsylvania is definitely better tax wise so I wonder how much better his deal is. Probably will make a lot of side money in this market I guess.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I think the Browns have already leaped the Steelers and Ravens in their own division.  I also think that the Browns are now, man for man, more talented than the Colts right now.

(Please notice, I said "right now".  Also, I didn't guarantee that they would beat us.)

Yeah I hear ya, Ballard has to nail the draft but I still feel good about the Colts chances in the AFC against anyone except KC or NE.

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Also having more talent doesn't mean they're better. We have one of the better chemistries in the league. Let's see how the chemistry works out in Cleveland.

• Like 1

My reaction is that we should have simply Trumped the Jets and offered the 13 mil per.

My response is wait and see how this plays out.  Bell was greedy, took a year off, and is getting older.  Ballard's plan is long-term prosperity while the Jets are the latest "get rich quick" pyramid scheme.  

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Browns are looking good over there. It's said every year, that this is their year, but idk man.....

They're one of those cases where I'll believe it when I see it, like the NYJ.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is talented

I like Coleman as well and had the Colts picking him in Dr Ts draft contest.  But now, I don't see that he brings anything extra to the Colts.  To me, he's basically a less elusive but slightly faster Marlon Mack.  JMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is talented

Yeah...I think he excels at the things that the current RBs don't (power and catching passes...other than Hines)...which actually makes him a pretty good fit. I don't see anything wrong with him and Mack sharing carries...since it would keep Mack fresh. Plus we all know Mack has had some injury issues. A backfield of Hines/Wilkins/whomever isn't terrible...but I don't think it's ideal. 

I am sure Coleman is looking to have a backfield to himself after having to  play second fiddle to Freeman...but it sounds like PHI is the most interested...and they are notorious for having a RBC. If they can get him...the Colts can get him. And an opportunity to play with Luck in a top tier offense and get 15+ touches/game might be pretty enticing him...especially if he can get that $6-7M AAV he is supposedly looking for. Maybe something similar to the Ebron deal...like 2/$12M.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Agreed. At least on paper.

Football is better with Leveon Bell playing. Hopefully Darnold will have a great 2nd year with him. 

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I like Coleman as well and had the Colts picking him in Dr Ts draft contest.  But now, I don't see that he brings anything extra to the Colts.  To me, he's basically a less elusive but slightly faster Marlon Mack.  JMO

He runs between the tackles better than Mack...which is why I think they complement each other pretty well.

But the real thing he brings is value as a playmaker in the passing game. Over the past three seasons...he has averaged 11 yds/catch...Mack and Hines last season averaged 6 and 7 respectively. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...I think he excels at the things that the current RBs don't (power and catching passes...other than Hines)...which actually makes him a pretty good fit. I don't see anything wrong with him and Mack sharing carries...since it would keep Mack fresh. Plus we all know Mack has had some injury issues. A backfield of Hines/Wilkins/whomever isn't terrible...but I don't think it's ideal. 

I am sure Coleman is looking to have a backfield to himself after having to  play second fiddle to Freeman...but it sounds like PHI is the most interested...and they are notorious for having a RBC. If they can get him...the Colts can get him. And an opportunity to play with Luck in a top tier offense and get 15+ touches/game might be pretty enticing him...especially if he can get that $6-7M AAV he is supposedly looking for. 

I think that Wilkins can be that guy to share carries with

He is a good football player with vision

He was the feature back when Mack was hurt....... had did ok....... But the line he was going behind, was still developing. He still ended up with an very good YPC.

Mack had the benefit that the line had jelled a bit, and was opening up huge holes

I would like to see him get some additional work behind this line

To me....... Wilkins fills the need that Tevin would bring to the Colts. He isnt as fast as Tevin C, but they are a decent 3 down back to split carries with

I still think we need the bigger back as another option when needed

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He runs between the tackles better than Mack...which is why I think they complement each other pretty well.

But the real thing he brings is value as a playmaker in the passing game. Over the past three seasons...he has averaged 11 yds/catch...Mack and Hines last season averaged 6 and 7 respectively. 

I think he would be the perfect back to bring in alongside Mack.  Let them compete for the starting role.  Ballard has preached competition all along.  Either way we all know there is an excellent chance Mack is going to miss games.  If we want RBC he would be the perfect add.  

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think that Wilkins can be that guy to share carries with

He is a good football player with vision

He was the feature back when Mack was hurt....... had did ok....... But the line he was going behind, was still developing. He still ended up with an very good YPC.

Mack had the benefit that the line had jelled a bit, and was opening up huge holes

I would like to see him get some additional work behind this line

To me....... Wilkins fills the need that Tevin would bring to the Colts. He isnt as fast as Tevin C, but they are a decent 3 down back to split carries with

I still think we need the bigger back as another option when needed

When Mack was out early...Wilkins went 14/40, 6/19, 8/16 and 6/39. The last game was the NE game and that was mostly 2nd half runs when the Colts were down and NE was playing the pass. Yes the OL was not completely in place...but it wasn't like Wilkins was getting the job done.

After Mack came back, he was phased out of the offense. And I think his YPC was inflated by that huge run against JAC (his only carry of that game) and garbage time running in blowouts...which seemed to be when they would put him in. 

Wilkins did had success when the Colts were in Jumbo formations...and I think he's a decent RB with good blocking because of his vision. But he is a JAG and not much of a pass catcher...and Coleman offers a lot more playmaking ability.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he would be the perfect back to bring in alongside Mack.  Let them compete for the starting role.  Ballard has preached competition all along.  Either way we all know there is an excellent chance Mack is going to miss games.  If we want RBC he would be the perfect add.  

Agree. And it would seem that his market isn't going crazy...so the price should be right to add a good weapon to the offense.

Go with the hot hand. But ideally, they both stay fresh, play well...and split carries. They could both easily get 15 touches/game in that scenario. And I don't think I really need to see much more of Hines running the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Right now if I had to rank teams, I would put us at #5 and Free Agency is far from over. The Draft hasn't even happened.

I would go:

1. Pats

2. Chiefs 

3. Saints

4, Rams

5. I have us at #5 with Luck healthy

This is the prob. We put too much on Luck. We always send luck out when its 3 balls , 2 Strikes, 2 Outs, Bottom of the 9th. and if the Colts should win, Luck has to hit a Grand Slam. All of the mentioned teams ahead of us has the "IT" as in other key players that could either:

1. Make a key catch

2. Make a tough 3rd or 4th down conversion

3. Make a key tackle/sack

4. Breakup a key pass

The Colts just have Luck, Q.Nelson, Maniac, Ebron, Hooker/TY (When healthy both).

No solid CB, No solid pass rush, No Bell/Ingram/Kamara/Gordon of a RB, No Shutdown dline, or competent #2 receiver. We have alot of holes that coaches like B. Belichick, Wade Smith, Sean Peyton, Andy Reid can and will expose, if not corrected.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bell got 35 Mill guaranteed, that is what he was looking for. 

Gave up 14 million to get 35 million guaranteed with a higher New York tax rate.  Probably went to a worse team. Gave up a year of his career earnings potential.  Brilliant!

• Like 1