Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll/Debate: Funchess

EastStreet

How do you feel about the Devin Funchess Acquisition   

104 members have voted

1. 1. Financially speaking, what grade best reflects your thoughts and prediction for 2019?

• A - Great value. We paid top 20 money, and we'll get top 10 production (1300 yards) with Luck throwing him the ball (in 2018 he had 549 yards / 81st in yards)
    • B - Good value - We paid top 20 money, and we'll get top 20 production (1000-1300 yards) with Luck throwing him the ball.
    • C - Average value - We paid top 20 money, and we'll get at least top 30 production (800-1000 yards) with Luck throwing him the ball
    • D - Poor value - We paid top 20 money, and he'll be an average WR2 (600-800 yards)
    • F - Horrible value - We paid top 20 money, and he'll be ranked outside the top 60 WRs again this year.
  2. 2. From a "Needs" perspective, what grade best reflects your thoughts.

• A - He's a perfect fit and will be an absolute stud opposite TY. He'll stretch Ds and take the double coverage pressure off of TY.
    • B - He's a good fit. He'll be an an above average WR2 and will be a beast in the Red Zone.
    • C - He's an OK fit, but will help while we are building via the Draft. He'll be too slow to stretch Ds, He'll be limited between the 20s, but will be a positive in the Red Zone
    • D - Not a great fit. We already have Ebron in the flex/hybrid detached TE role. He'll be mostly limited to depth, and will only eat away Ebron's targets / production
    • F - Bad fit. We could have got a guy like Miles Boykin (cheaper, faster, better hands, more proven production) with the same big body for cheap in the later rounds.
  3. 3. 2020 Prediction

• 1. He'll be a stud, and we'll sign him to a big time long term contract.
    • 2. He'll be good, and we'll sign him to a moderate longer term contract
    • 3. He'll be OK, and we might offer him a cheaper short term contract
    • 4. He'll under perform, the Colts will move on, and we'll hopefully get a comp pick

He's a Colt now, so all of us want him to succeed!

But how do you feel about financial, value, and "needs" aspects of the acquisition?

Opinions are awesome, but try to stay fact and data, and stay away from the whole "Ballard can't make a bad decision" sad song.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

we didn’t pay him top 20 money there’s no commitment en the grand scheme he’s a lottery ticket 

from an average $/year, we absolutely paid him top 20 money. If he hits the incentive and makes 13M, He'll be top 15 money. hell, he's already listed as the 20th on many sites...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

are there any commitments beyond 2019 ??

we are paying him top 20 in 2019. yes or no. 

should we have no expectations or opinions on value just because he's not under contract beyond 2019? good grief. would you pay iphone contract/rental prices for a flip phone this year, even though you're not tied to it in 2020?

• Like 1

We threw 10 million at a big-bodied stop-gap until Ballard finds "his guy",probably thru the draft.  I havent looked, but it wouldnt surprise me if next year has a good WR day aft class.   Ballard works the strengths in draft classes which is smart because better players are acailable at all picks because of more quality and layers at the position.

We benefitted last year with OL and arguably rb and LB.

i remember last year thinking "ballard will go dl NEXT year (this coming draft)" because i kept hearing how much depth at dl there was.  DL was a need last year along with OL, rb, wr, LB, etc.  i feel Ballard is smart "lining up" available talent (FA and draft, and an occasional trade) to depth of quality at each position.  Its a supply and d mand thing that affects both availability and price.  That, coupled with his past actions, along with refusing to pay over his "value limit", i think gives us a very clear picture of his style.

He tried (like last year) to sign certain "big name" guys but the price just got out of control (again).  So, like last year, he'll wait until the next round, and so on.   Stick to the plan, it IS Working.

I wont be surpris d if a deal or two was made and we'll hear about it when the "real" FA begins.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

from an average $/year, we absolutely paid him top 20 money. If he hits the incentive and makes 13M, He'll be top 15 money. hell, he's already listed as the 20th on many sites...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/

If he hits all of those incentives then most likely he had a pretty good season and most likely be would be worth it. Would of course need to see the terms.

23 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

we are paying him top 20 in 2019. yes or no. 

should we have no expectations or opinions on value just because he's not under contract beyond 2019? good grief. would you pay iphone contract/rental prices for a flip phone this year, even though you're not tied to it in 2020?

lol this is my opinion, i don’t need you to agree.

top 20 money to me means incorporating financial responsibility. does his contract make it hard to operate. No. Would it make a difference if we gave him the same contract with more years attached, Yes. 

truthfully my opnion is also yu want attention. his contract being that it’s only for one year implies it’s value. Specifically if he plays well, he gets years added, he plays avg. he’s probably gone. It doesn’t matter either way.  

No you shouldn’t have expectation. it’s called a flyer. Expectation is reserved for commitment 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB said:

If he hits all of those incentives then most likely he had a pretty good season and most likely be would be worth it. Would of course need to see the terms.

If he hist his incentive at 1000 yards (which is basically a top 20 production target), then he'd be paid top 15 for the year. I'd love to pay him that extra 3M. I just don't think we will. 

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If he hist his incentive at 1000 yards (which is basically a top 20 production target), then he'd be paid top 15 for the year. I'd love to pay him that extra 3M. I just don't think we will. 

It will be tough for him to hit 1000 with TY and Ebron on the team but I can see 800. Doyle will be back too. Luck loves to spread the ball around.

4 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

lol this is my opinion, i don’t need you to agree.

top 20 money to me means incorporating financial responsibility. does his contract make it hard to operate. No. Would it make a difference if we gave him the same contract with more years attached, Yes. 

truthfully my opnion is also yu want attention. his contract being that it’s only for one year implies it’s value and downside. Specifically if he plays well, he gets years added, he plays avg. he’s probably gone. It doesn’t matter either way.  

No you shouldn’t have expectation. it’s called a flier. Expectation is reserved for commitment 

lol. shouldn't have expectation. pretty funny. 

you talk about financial responsibility. no one invests 10M short or long term without expectation. and it doesn't matter if he plays poorly? i'm sure ownership shares this view lol. 

in terms of ease of operation, not sure what your point is. just because we have a ton of cap doesn't mean you invest recklessly. if you think Irsay will have zero expectations, or is fine with fliers, you'd be wrong. i'm sure Ballard has a plan that he communicated to Irsay. we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

lol. shouldn't have expectation. pretty funny. 

you talk about financial responsibility. no one invests 10M short or long term without expectation. and it doesn't matter if he plays poorly? i'm sure ownership shares this view lol. 

in terms of ease of operation, not sure what your point is. just because we have a ton of cap doesn't mean you invest recklessly. if you think Irsay will have zero expectations, or is fine with fliers, you'd be wrong. i'm sure Ballard has a plan that he communicated to Irsay. we'll see.

it doesn’t change draft strategy. roster construction, future contracts, trade scenarios, fan attendance literally NOTHING changes w the trajectory of this teams future w 10-13m given to funchess.  

if yu think 1yr 10-13 is the same as 2+ at that same rate is the same. you win enjoy this worthless thread you started lol

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will be tough for him to hit 1000 with TY and Ebron on the team but I can see 800. Doyle will be back too. Luck loves to spread the ball around.

I agree (tough hitting 1000). i picked 600-800 range. 

At WR2, we were WR committee last year. our next best (after TY), was ranked 99th (Rogers). After that Grant at 129, and Inman at 143. That's bad considering most in the top 10 of Os have 2, 3, 4, or even 5 guys in the top 64. 

• Like 1

I put 1, 1 and 1......yep i'm that guy.

Essentially it is all worthless cause we have no control over any of this.

My honest opinion is that he can easily compliment T.Y and Andrew can make him better. If we utilise his size we are in for a hell of a year!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

not even finna read that. if yu think 1yr 10-13 is the same as 2+ at that same rate is the same. you win enjoy this worthless thread you started lol

lol. i never said they were the same. but you act like 10-13M for one year is nothing. a flier... 

anyway most folks grade the deal as a poor value. i'm sure you don't care. like you said, you don't have to agree. neither do it. 

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

lol. i never said they were the same. but you act like 10-13M for one year is nothing. a flier... 

anyway most folks grade the deal as a poor value. i'm sure you don't care. like you said, you don't have to agree. neither do it. 

if most “folks” grade the deal as poor that implies they have a better grasp on the teams construct than ballard does. will this thread void the contract lol. if it’s not a flier on a player what is it. losing interest en this by the second  bye. 

3 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

if most “folks” grade the deal as poor that implies they have a better grasp on the teams construct than ballard does. will this thread void the contract lol. if it’s not a flier on a player what is it. losing interest en this by the second  bye. 

oh, you're one of the "ballard can't be questioned" guys. you should start a fan club.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

oh, you're one of the "ballard can't be questioned" guys. you should start a fan club.

no im not i’m one of those theres no point en this thread guys. i have a life that doesn’t revolve around the colts it’s all entertainment until yu die. no need to argue about 13m that isn’t mine. 

no one is w out flaws yet that is what makes all of us perfect

Just watched some highlight videos.  Watch the 2017 wildcard game video of him versus Lattimore (saints) Dude held his own against a top CB and more.   Cam leaned on Funchess hard and he looked strong at the catch and attacked the ball.  Carolina would not have been in the game without him.

I havent seen much of him, but i saw a big , strong body making hard catches all over the field against a shut-down type corner.

I'm gonna give the guy a chance.  I am confident Reich and the boys can find ways to use him.  I'm optimistic Ballard sees something, he didnt arbitrarily settle for him.  Its not Ballards style.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Where can I get an application?

but i dont wanna be the secretary.

i just wanna come to the meetings, relax, and talk about how great Ballard is.  Stuff like ....: "isnt his haircut cool?",  and "i love that bubble jacket he wears...: he's so cool."

you know, fun stuff.

• Like 1

I agree with whoever it was that said we lose either way long term in regard to Funchess.  If he plays really well, since we didn't even get a second year, he'll get a massive deal in an ever expanding FA frenzy each year and he'll walk.  (I mean if we didn't even consider going after Brown or Beckham this year, we're not breaking the bank for Funchess unless he's All Pro next year.  I won't hold my breath for that.  Which means if he plays well, he'll be gone, we'll get a pick.  On the other hand, if he plays poorly we will have wasted the money and possibly lost an opportunity to advance as far due to subpar play by him.  Then we'll cut him and no one else will give him a decent deal so we'll get a low comp pick.  If he plays middling (the most likely scenario) then he'll have taken the place of a young player who might have developed, or he'll have taken the place of us having a stud there who would help us win games.  I expect 600-700 yards, 5 TDs.  Middling.  Not worth Top 20 money.  Essentially a waste of time with no real upside.  He'll simply be who he has already proven himself to be.  

As all fans do, I hope I am wrong and he balls out.  But even if he does, it seems unlikely he plays 2 years here because he's too good or not good enough and either way he'll be gone.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I agree with whoever it was that said we lose either way long term in regard to Funchess.  If he plays really well, since we didn't even get a second year, he'll get a massive deal in an ever expanding FA frenzy each year and he'll walk.  (I mean if we didn't even consider going after Brown or Beckham this year, we're not breaking the bank for Funchess unless he's All Pro next year.  I won't hold my breath for that.  Which means if he plays well, he'll be gone, we'll get a pick.  On the other hand, if he plays poorly we will have wasted the money and possibly lost an opportunity to advance as far due to subpar play by him.  Then we'll cut him and no one else will give him a decent deal so we'll get a low comp pick.  If he plays middling (the most likely scenario) then he'll have taken the place of a young player who might have developed, or he'll have taken the place of us having a stud there who would help us win games.  I expect 600-700 yards, 5 TDs.  Middling.  Not worth Top 20 money.  Essentially a waste of time with no real upside.  He'll simply be who he has already proven himself to be.  

As all fans do, I hope I am wrong and he balls out.  But even if he does, it seems unlikely he plays 2 years here because he's too good or not good enough and either way he'll be gone.  

Sorry, I disagree. The reasons have already been covered.

I am concerned with the one year deal but I am not assuming it is a bad signing till it all plays out.

The draft, then getting 90 players ready for camp. I be damn if I am losing any sleep over Funchess being signed.

• Like 1

Even if he plays just ok, but has a few great games which helps us finish in the running for the championship, no one will reflect and look back and bemoan how much cash we paid him. All this griping and naysaying is sounding a wee bit like spoiled fan syndrome (across all threads, not specifically this one). If you have not grasped Ballard's methods yet, I guess you never will. It is circa 6 months until any of this matters, until then.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

We threw 10 million at a big-bodied stop-gap until Ballard finds "his guy",probably thru the draft.  I havent looked, but it wouldnt surprise me if next year has a good WR day aft class.   Ballard works the strengths in draft classes which is smart because better players are acailable at all picks because of more quality and layers at the position.

We benefitted last year with OL and arguably rb and LB.

i remember last year thinking "ballard will go dl NEXT year (this coming draft)" because i kept hearing how much depth at dl there was.  DL was a need last year along with OL, rb, wr, LB, etc.  i feel Ballard is smart "lining up" available talent (FA and draft, and an occasional trade) to depth of quality at each position.  Its a supply and d mand thing that affects both availability and price.  That, coupled with his past actions, along with refusing to pay over his "value limit", i think gives us a very clear picture of his style.

He tried (like last year) to sign certain "big name" guys but the price just got out of control (again).  So, like last year, he'll wait until the next round, and so on.   Stick to the plan, it IS Working.

I wont be surpris d if a deal or two was made and we'll hear about it when the "real" FA begins.

Spot on.

All of this is hard to say but my view is that we brought in a decent WR2 with upside.

If he can give us what he gave the Panthers, given that we are more of a passing offense I would say it's a decent deal.

But I also think it would be crazy to simply ignore his upside here.  He's young and athletic a former 2nd round pick.  There is a good chance that with better usage he might give us more than what he was able to give the Panthers.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MFT5 said:

no im not i’m one of those theres no point en this thread guys.

Yet here you are, participating in this "worthless" thread...  :funny:

But don't respond to me.  I'm also "worthless", right?  :thmup:

Unless you want attention.  Then by all means, keep participating in a public forum.  :hat:

I do not think he is in the long term plans unless he ends up being a Pro Bowl WR like Ebron became a Pro Bowl TE. We needed 2 types of WRs, one that can be physical underneath against bigger CBs and/or can make contested catches vs tight single coverage while TY takes the top off a D, and the second that can separate with YAC and occasionally get a big chunk.

I think the former kind is what we are hoping for with Funchess. I think the latter will come from the draft, and probably A.J.Brown or Deebo Samuel, IMO. Funchess, if given single coverage, can get chunk yardage as well, IMO, more of the 15-25 yard kind, not the 30-50 yard kind that TY brings to the table. As long as it keeps drives alives and drops don't happen frequently, I will be happy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yet here you are, participating in this "worthless" thread...  :funny:

But don't respond to me.  I'm also "worthless", right?  :thmup:

Unless you want attention.  Then by all means, keep participating in a public forum.  :hat:

all life is meaningless. you’ll get it one day. you love me more than you realize

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

all life is meaningless. you’ll get it one day.

It has as much meaning as you give it.  :rock:

This thread has as much worth as I give it.

The Colts have as much worth as I give them.

The Funchess acquisition has as much worth as I give it.

And I'm a very giving person.  :yahoo:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It has as much meaning as you give it.  :rock:

This thread has as much worth as I give it.

The Colts have as much worth as I give them.

The Funchess acquisition has as much worth as I give it.

And I'm a very giving person.  :yahoo:

i can see your insecurities. kinda disgusting but know you can have the last word as your existence has no worth to mine

4 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

i can see your insecurities. kinda disgusting but know you can have the last word as your existence has no worth to mine

Thanks!

Hope you like the Funchess signing.  Enjoy the rest of Free Agency.  It's providing a lot of entertainment on this forum, isn't it?

Can't wait for the draft.  That's what I'm really excited about!  :D