Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's master plan for the Funchess deal

Legend of Luck

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

If he works out on some level, he's getting a big multi year deal.  It seems unlikely we'd give him that when we didn't offer something (or at least not enough) to a far superior Ty Williams.  

is Williams signing with someone? I haven't heard.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Or he may actually play so good we sign him long term. A receiving core of Cain, funchess and Hilton might be pretty good. We should still draft a guy because ty isn’t getting younger.

I dont know

I HOPE so.......

But if he was a star to be...... why do a one year only?

IF....If he exceeds all expectations......becomes an all pro...... you are looking at a 16-20 mil player next year

This is a stopgap, waiting on someone else to develop, move

3 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

The Colts may have a deeper plan as it pertains to this deal for Devin Funchess.

Picture this. Ballard drafts a 2nd Round Receiver, let's say Hakeem Butler. Receivers as we have seen over the last 5 or so years, need time to get comfortable and to develop in the NFL and typically really get going in their 2nd year.

So you have TY, Cain, and Funchess as your starters this year, with Butler getting plenty of reps.

Funchess has a better year than he had in 2018,  he's only 25 going into next offseason, Ballard let's him walk and sign a big deal like he did this year, the Colts receive a 3rd round compensatory pick, and Butler takes over the starting role in 2020.

Our Rookie is better, we're not tied to a big long contract for a FA receiver, AND we get a 3rd round pick in 2020.

I personally think this is his plan, and if so, it's a brilliant one.

Or.....

You could have traded for an AB or an OBJ for literally nothing (comparatively) and not had to worry about any of that and had an offense made for a SB run.

• Like 1

1yr deal is a head scratcher.  Let’s say he has a breakout yr, odds of signing him to a long contract are zero cuz he will get overpaid and that’s not our mojo.  He could have been had cheap on a two yr deal where if he had a Ryan Grant season let’s say, can cut him at a low cost.  I wonder what triggered a 1 yr deal cuz he had no market and most feel we over paid which makes me believe we could have added a 2nd yr at no risk OR cost.  Either way, no chance he’s a colt for 2020 for reasons listed above.

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

Or.....

You could have traded for an AB or an OBJ for literally nothing (comparatively) and not had to worry about any of that and had an offense made for a SB run.

TWO BIGGEST DIVAS and Cancers in the game today!  Sure, WHAT if game but if it blows everything you worked for why the risk?  There’s a reason CB is quickly the Most respected GM in the game today!  Don’t take risks that will get you fired and trust in your process of building through the draft and pay your own players.  4 FA’s made the pro bowl this yr, 4!  Trust the process and if you need reassurance, CB and STAFF had “arguably” the BEST NFL draft of ALL TIME!  Bill Polian was pretty good but CB has better scouts and an eye for talent.  After 2019 Season, the world will be put on FULL NOTICE.

2 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Bill Polian was pretty good but CB has better scouts and an eye for talent.  After 2019 Season, the world will be put on FULL NOTICE.

Yeah, that Bill Polian guy he never drafted great talent in any of his stops along the way right.  He just didn't have an eye for talent I guess. 

CB and his team certainly can't scout WR's for S#%& to date.  And KC before this never had good WR's, which is what always held them back until they finally took a flyer on a low character guy in Hill.  And that is 1 WR pick in how many years in their system as a scout etc? And so far his WR FA's and picks have proven problematic.  His best move was picking up a guy off the street because of the relationship his former coach had with Inman.  Who know's how Cain or Pascal will turn out, but I can think of hmmm.. at least a few solid WR's that Polian picked up in his career.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Yeah, that Bill Polian guy he never drafted great talent in any of his stops along the way right.  He just didn't have an eye for talent I guess. 

CB and his team certainly can't scout WR's for S#%& to date.  And KC before this never had good WR's, which is what always held them back until they finally took a flyer on a low character guy in Hill.  And that is 1 WR pick in how many years in their system as a scout etc? And so far his WR FA's and picks have proven problematic.  His best move was picking up a guy off the street because of the relationship his former coach had with Inman.  Who know's how Cain or Pascal will turn out, but I can think of hmmm.. at least a few solid WR's that Polian picked up in his career.  

Ok maybe I didn’t word this right, BP hit the 1st rd as good as anybody ever before BUT can you say the same from rd2-rd7? Any Arm chair GM can find talent in the 1st rd but after that  is what their made of.  Peyton should have had 8 Super Bowls but Polian couldn’t field a defense capable of a Lombardi. Every GM has a weakness, Grigson OL, CB wr (maybe let’s see how Cain does) BP LB’S.  The Peyton led Colts had the worst LB’s to ever suit up which in my opinion cost multiple championships.  See Darious Leonard and how an all pro at that position changes everything.  Yes, so far CB has a weakness and that is WR but his staff landed 2 ALL PROS in one draft.  I bet when all said and done Luck has twice the SB wins as Manning.

10 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Too much money on a borderline 3 WR. How about using the Ballard pennies left for D? since he's treating all that money as such. But wasted 13 mil on a scrub. Oh, all the top D gone.

Your post contradicts itself in a way. You are assuming Funchess reaches all of his incentives in order to get $13 million. His incentives are probably 10+ TDs, 1000 yards, and pro bowl or something along those lines. So if he does reach those incentives then how is that a waste, and how is he a scrub?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Your post contradicts itself in a way. You are assuming Funchess reaches all of his incentives in order to get $13 million. His incentives are probably 10+ TDs, 1000 yards, and pro bowl or something along those lines. So if he does reach those incentives then how is that a waste, and how is he a scrub?

One average season of 700 yards. Will fit right in with his drops. Ballard gets too much credit as this FA season is a big Zero. Other teams actually spending on players who are good. Sometimes, have to think a few years down the line. You mean Brown. Odell or Bell are not good to have on a team? Enough with Ballard locker room culture. Need some star player makers too. Steelers and Giants gave away their star players for peanuts. Oh, yeah, it does cost money, but cheap Ballard wants to hold on to it. Bell could have been had too for what Jets paid.

7 hours ago, NDcolt said:

1yr deal is a head scratcher.  Let’s say he has a breakout yr, odds of signing him to a long contract are zero cuz he will get overpaid and that’s not our mojo.  He could have been had cheap on a two yr deal where if he had a Ryan Grant season let’s say, can cut him at a low cost.  I wonder what triggered a 1 yr deal cuz he had no market and most feel we over paid which makes me believe we could have added a 2nd yr at no risk OR cost.  Either way, no chance he’s a colt for 2020 for reasons listed above.

You are going down the same path that I am

To me, if its a 2 year deal, you at least can have time to see what you have with him

But........ there is more to this story, that is unseen........  which is AOK for me

Ballard has EARNED my respect for choices that he makes

His role may be SOLELY to be another red zone option for Luck........

And thats ok

I am a believer that we STILL need a WR in the draft

A FAST, separation kinda guy that can get open between the 20s....... 

It may be Campbell, It might be Isabella........... or  another little jitterbug that is near impossible to cover, to tie in with Hilton.

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Its a part of our forum "culture" this time of year.

It's given me some serious entertainment over last few days lol. Which I know I shouldn't laugh at other people's misery it's just to funny not too lol

59 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

One average season of 700 yards. Will fit right in with his drops. Ballard gets too much credit as this FA season is a big Zero. Other teams actually spending on players who are good. Sometimes, have to think a few years down the line. You mean Brown. Odell or Bell are not good to have on a team? Enough with Ballard locker room culture. Need some star player makers too. Steelers and Giants gave away their star players for peanuts. Oh, yeah, it does cost money, but cheap Ballard wants to hold on to it. Bell could have been had too for what Jets paid.

Ballard was a glacier last year in FA

He WAITED to get a value....... he will do the same this year

We shouldnt be surprised............

He HAS SAID THAT THIS IS HOW HE WILL BUILD THE TEAM.....  again, and again, and again, and again, and again..................

He appears to follow the Polian statement of...... I I do what the fans say, I will soon be sitting WITH them.......  (I dont have exact quote)

I have greater respect for someone who actually DOES what he SAYS he is going to do

He is NOT a knee Jerk "Fan move" sort of leader.......

He had some wins in FA, and had some losses

He has one of the best drafting seen in years

The guy has a very good eye for talent.........

We have some room this year to take a chance.....   Funchess is one of these "chances"...... All in all, if he comes in and STINKS, we are out 10M

If we get Funchess from 2017....... we will all be happy

It isnt my money. It doesnt hurt us the following year......

It wasnt my first choice..... but dang......... We sucked the previous year, we got MUCH better last year........   CB deserves a break

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Totally agree with this post.

5 hours ago, JColts72 said:

OBJ woulda cost us a ton of draft capitol, brown is on the wrong side of 30 and demanding an insane contract, and Bell just never really made sense for us. Just chill man. Every year so far Ballard has been patient in FA and has gotten some amazing signings.

20 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

The Colts may have a deeper plan as it pertains to this deal for Devin Funchess.

Picture this. Ballard drafts a 2nd Round Receiver, let's say Hakeem Butler. Receivers as we have seen over the last 5 or so years, need time to get comfortable and to develop in the NFL and typically really get going in their 2nd year.

So you have TY, Cain, and Funchess as your starters this year, with Butler getting plenty of reps.

Funchess has a better year than he had in 2018,  he's only 25 going into next offseason, Ballard let's him walk and sign a big deal like he did this year, the Colts receive a 3rd round compensatory pick, and Butler takes over the starting role in 2020.

Our Rookie is better, we're not tied to a big long contract for a FA receiver, AND we get a 3rd round pick in 2020.

I personally think this is his plan, and if so, it's a brilliant one.

Very good point. Didn’t think about it like that however. At some point we have to defend offenses and score points against defenses. I appreciate forward thinking, but every year we keep packing for next year’s vacation is another year off of luck’s career.

I believe Irsey when he says, he wants multiple titles so... I believe Irsey learned his lesson when having PM in the building (Who some believe is the top 3 greatest QB of all time) for all those “glory years” with only 1 ring.

13 hours ago, NDcolt said:

To the bolded... how could you possibly know that?

50 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funchess had a broken newton last year. Balls were being thrown in the dirt.  He was only 20 years old when he came into the league. I think he is just now entering what could be his best years.

DJ Moore had that same broken Newton though...and he put ~800 yards and caught 67% of his passes.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:15 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To the bolded... how could you possibly know that?

Ask yourself if Funchess had a market before CB & Staff came calling?  Labeled a bust due to an incompetent QB and/or system, value is in the toilet!  Said player is set to be eaten alive and has no leg to stand on.

26 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

Ask yourself if Funchess had a market before CB & Staff came calling?  Labeled a bust due to an incompetent QB and/or system, value is in the toilet!  Said player is set to be eaten alive and has no leg to stand on.

I asked myself if Funchess had a market before CB & Staff came calling.  I came to the conclusion he certainly did.  Ballard signed him on the first day of FA.  This from a GM who likes to wait for value after the draft has settled .  Ballard stated they offered him a two and three yr. contract, his choice,  but he wanted the one year deal so that is why they went with the 1yr. contract.  It looks like he had a market and Ballard moved quickly to give him the contract he wanted.  Day 1.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I asked myself if Funchess had a market before CB & Staff came calling.  I came to the conclusion he certainly did.  Ballard signed him on the first day of FA.  This from a GM who likes to wait for value after the draft has settled .  Ballard stated they offered him a two and three yr. contract, his choice,  but he wanted the one year deal so that is why they went with the 1yr. contract.  It looks like he had a market and Ballard moved quickly to give him the contract he wanted.  Day 1.  

I apologize didn’t realize this since ALL reports were very confused at the $$ given?  If your reports are true wonder why never reported once news of deal came about?  Time will tell but got to admit the excitement level on Funchess signing just went up 1 notch.

1 hour ago, NDcolt said:

I apologize didn’t realize this since ALL reports were very confused at the $$ given?  If your reports are true wonder why never reported once news of deal came about?  Time will tell but got to admit the excitement level on Funchess signing just went up 1 notch.

I remember hearing it reported by NFL network that Funchess wanted a 1 year deal presumably to set a higher mark for a bigger long-term contract payday.  I remember them saying there were other teams offering longer contracts.

Many reports also stated that Reich was pushing to bring him in that he has a plan for him:

If you want to pad stats for a year, there arent too many teams offering better than playing opposite TY eho gets attention and Luck throwing the ball.  Ballard only needs to mention how he helped resurect a similar career with Ebron.  The similarities are  numerous.  I also think players are starting to notice Ballard is a man of his word who rewards his own.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard reportedly offered him multiple pre-prepared contracts/terms. He chose. Doesn't sound like there was any negotiation at all. Sound like a GM who had a ton of cap space, set his limits, and went in prepared. 

I don't blame DF for betting on himself given the nature of the contract. See below.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I remember hearing it reported by NFL network that Funchess wanted a 1 year deal presumably to set a higher mark for a bigger long-term contract payday.  I remember them saying there were other teams offering longer contracts.

Many reports also stated that Reich was pushing to bring him in that he has a plan for him:

If you want to pad stats for a year, there arent too many teams offering better than playing opposite TY eho gets attention and Luck throwing the ball.  Ballard only needs to mention how he helped resurect a similar career with Ebron.  The similarities are  numerous.  I also think players are starting to notice Ballard is a man of his word who rewards his own.

See above. Reports I saw, and chatter on this board is that DF was presented with multiple preprepared options. Didn't take long. Doubt there was any negotiation. 

Key thing I found interesting..... If you watched Funchess on NFL.com post signature, he did an interview and cooking show. It was fun. DF didn't talk about the contract terms at all. What he did talk about was:

He said he has set an 8k budget per month for himself regardless of how rich he gets. Guess how that math works out. 

$8,000 x 12months x 50 years = $4.8M

That's less than half of his base contract for 2019. 

it's 3x the amount he made in his first 4 years, and set himself up for life if he is serious about his budget. He'll get another contract with someone after 2019, but if he didn't, he's still set up for life.

So, did he lie about his budget? If he's being honest and is happy with 8k a month, how much motivation besides a ring does he really have. Is that enough?

not the full vid, but sure you can find it

I think Ballard signed Funchess because Reich wanted him for being an excellent Slot WR candidate. Wasn't there an article on Reich loving how Funchess ran routes out of the slot? Then, some combination of a Ballard prove it deal/the agent thinking Funchess could thrive like Ebron did ended up in a 1 year deal.

I'm fine with it ….if he plays great, pay the man. If he doesn't, let him walk, and hopefully the Colts will have a ready replacement from this year's draft. And if he plays great, and we can't re-sign him, take the comp draft choice. 

I'm going to lose sleep over the Colts' tough road schedule this year - not Funchess.

Funny, all I remember is Colts a laughing stock for signing this bust to such a large contract??  I remember this well but good to hear the reports that he had larger offers on the table and just confirms this organization KNOWS TODAYS NFL & PLAYERS WORTH!  Can’t believe we waisted five yrs on the Ryan Grigson era who was a former OL but couldn’t see OL talent if it hit him in the butt.

22 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Ballard reportedly offered him multiple pre-prepared contracts/terms. He chose. Doesn't sound like there was any negotiation at all. Sound like a GM who had a ton of cap space, set his limits, and went in prepared. 

I don't blame DF for betting on himself given the nature of the contract. See below.

See above. Reports I saw, and chatter on this board is that DF was presented with multiple preprepared options. Didn't take long. Doubt there was any negotiation. 

Key thing I found interesting..... If you watched Funchess on NFL.com post signature, he did an interview and cooking show. It was fun. DF didn't talk about the contract terms at all. What he did talk about was:

He said he has set an 8k budget per month for himself regardless of how rich he gets. Guess how that math works out. 

$8,000 x 12months x 50 years = $4.8M

That's less than half of his base contract for 2019. 

it's 3x the amount he made in his first 4 years, and set himself up for life if he is serious about his budget. He'll get another contract with someone after 2019, but if he didn't, he's still set up for life.

So, did he lie about his budget? If he's being honest and is happy with 8k a month, how much motivation besides a ring does he really have. Is that enough?

not the full vid, but sure you can find it

Well I guess he didn't drop the ball on being smart. :applause:

• Like 1

I don't know that Ballard has a "master plan" for Funchess.

There are several different things that could happen.  Especially if you don't know if you are getting a receiver you like in the draft or not.  

Funchess is sort of an attempt to fill a need at the moment with a player that Reich likes and we'll see what happens after that.  

No reason to think funchess wont do great. He is the same player as Ebron with the same issue. What I do expect is no one except TY to have huge numbers. Andrew will spread the ball around. Don’t expect anyone else but Hilton to get 1000 yards. With Doyle back we have quite a few weopons. Ebron will probably get half the TD. He will split with Funchess. But that won’t mean he regressed or isn’t as important. Just means we have a lot of targets. If funchess or Ebron get double digit TD that will mean Luck had a monster year.

• Thanks 1