Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's master plan for the Funchess deal

Legend of Luck

The Colts may have a deeper plan as it pertains to this deal for Devin Funchess.

Picture this. Ballard drafts a 2nd Round Receiver, let's say Hakeem Butler. Receivers as we have seen over the last 5 or so years, need time to get comfortable and to develop in the NFL and typically really get going in their 2nd year.

So you have TY, Cain, and Funchess as your starters this year, with Butler getting plenty of reps.

Funchess has a better year than he had in 2018,  he's only 25 going into next offseason, Ballard let's him walk and sign a big deal like he did this year, the Colts receive a 3rd round compensatory pick, and Butler takes over the starting role in 2020.

Our Rookie is better, we're not tied to a big long contract for a FA receiver, AND we get a 3rd round pick in 2020.

I personally think this is his plan, and if so, it's a brilliant one.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

The Colts may have a deeper plan as it pertains to this deal for Devin Funchess.

Picture this. Ballard drafts a 2nd Round Receiver, let's say Hakeem Butler. Receivers as we have seen over the last 5 or so years, need time to get comfortable and to develop in the NFL and typically really get going in their 2nd year.

So you have TY, Cain, and Funchess as your starters this year, with Butler getting plenty of reps.

Funchess has a better year than he had in 2018,  he's only 25 going into next offseason, Ballard let's him walk and sign a big deal like he did this year, the Colts receive a 3rd round compensatory pick, and Butler takes over the starting role in 2020.

Our Rookie is better, we're not tied to a big long contract for a FA receiver, AND we get a 3rd round pick in 2020.

Why would we get a 3rd rounder? How do you come to that conclusion? I've never really understood that process very well.  

9 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

You lost me with Ballard using a 2nd rounder on a WR.     But as far as Funchess being a 1 yr stop gap to allow Caine and the other WR's to mature I would agree. 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Why would we get a 3rd rounder? How do you come to that conclusion? I've never really understood that process very well.  

It has to do with the value of the contract they receive. Like I think this year, deals that were over 10 million were 3rd rounders, we got a 4th for moncrief and he was at 9.5ish.

Just now, DerekDiggler said:

You lost me with Ballard using a 2nd rounder on a WR.     But as far as Funchess being a 1 yr stop gap to allow Caine and the other WR's to mature I would agree. 

TY isnt getting younger, and if he gets hurt mid season, we need another guy that can fill that role. If we have to spend a 2nd to get a great wr that can be a stud, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said this yesterday. Sorry OP. ;)

Although, I would be more accepting of that strategy if Ballard had done a two year contract with a team option for Year 2.

And if he tried a two year option for less money, and we ended up with the counter offer as a done deal? 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

or what if Luck and Funchess have instant chemistry like the Luck and Ebron, wouldn't we want to keep him around, givin that he is only 25?

If he works out on some level, he's getting a big multi year deal.  It seems unlikely we'd give him that when we didn't offer something (or at least not enough) to a far superior Ty Williams.  

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

This is a one year plan to develop....... someone

It may be a rookie or one of the young WRs picked last year (Fountain)

Or he may actually play so good we sign him long term. A receiving core of Cain, funchess and Hilton might be pretty good. We should still draft a guy because ty isn’t getting younger.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

If he works out on some level, he's getting a big multi year deal.  It seems unlikely we'd give him that when we didn't offer something (or at least not enough) to a far superior Ty Williams.  

far superior lol

25 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

TY isnt getting younger, and if he gets hurt mid season, we need another guy that can fill that role. If we have to spend a 2nd to get a great wr that can be a stud, I'm all for it.

Doesn't mean it needs to be addressed in round one or two. Later rounds that's fine.  Too many other real needs on this team.   But Ballard will draft BPA according to his ranking system .  So if BPA is there is round 3 I would expect him to pull the trigger

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Aren’t Williams and funchess peetty muxh the same player.

Aren’t you the same person that asked if Funchess is a slot receiver yesterday?

Then didn’t I see you post that he and Ebron were the same?

Now your asking if he and Williams are the same....did you even know who Funchess was before yesterday?

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said this yesterday. Sorry OP. ;)

Although, I would be more accepting of that strategy if Ballard had done a two year contract with a team option for Year 2.

I think we cannot get compensatory pick for a player if we waive the player... only if his whole contract expires and he becomes a FA

I think he was our No.1 WR target right out of the gate.  That's why Ballard moved so fast on him.  Though I was surprised it wasn't a two yr. deal like Ebron's from last year.  Because he is only 24 I think they are hoping he has a great year with Luck and the chemistry is there.  Then it turns into a similar Alshon Jeffrey deal where he proved himself on a one year deal and he was rewarded with a longer contract.  We resign him and one WR is locked up for the near future.  We will still draft a WR and hope he develops but I really think they want Funchess to be our big go to receiver if he can do it.  If he proves himself he's more valuable to us in that role than a comp pick IMO.  Nothing wrong with rewarding our own players if they perform. Especially the young players who will be with us awhile. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I think we cannot get compensatory pick for a player if we waive the player... only if his whole contract expires and he becomes a FA

If you decline the option the player qualifies. This is what the Pats did with Revis, and I thought the same as you, but they got a third for losing him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he was our No.1 WR target right out of the gate.  That's why Ballard moved so fast on him.  Though I was surprised it wasn't a two yr. deal like Ebron's from last year.  Because he is only 24 I think they are hoping he has a great year with Luck and the chemistry is there.  Then it turns into a similar Alshon Jeffrey deal where he proved himself on a one year deal and he was rewarded with a longer contract.  We resign him and one WR is locked up for the near future.  We will still draft a WR and hope he develops but I really think they want Funchess to be our big go to receiver if he can do it.  If he proves himself he's more valuable to us in that role than a comp pick IMO.  Nothing wrong with rewarding our own players if they perform. Especially the young players who will be with us awhile. 

We could see Cain live up hype also. We will see. That would give us two WR with Hilton. I think as bad as our WR core looks by this time next year we could be one of the best.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

So do I. 

I think I do too, but I’ve been thinking about this a little bit, and maybe it’s nothing.

It wasn’t until after the Funchess deal broke that the news broke about tendering Chester Rodgers and Marcus Johnson. Do you think that is coincidence, or was it part of a plan? I mean why did signing Funchess make them decide to go ahead and tender the other two? Do you think Ballard was trying to get a Humphries or Beasley and realized he wouldn’t so he went ahead and signed Funchess and tendered the other 2?

1 hour ago, Legend of Luck said:

Its the obvious plan... fill a gap tem

The guy has said build from the draft.  It takes a few years to do this and last i checked you need 53 to form a roster.  

The master plan is nothing more than CB looking at his current WR roster and realizing it needed an upgrade to be competent next season.  It hasn't been adequately addressed in his first two years.

So, out of need, he slightly overpays to improve the team immediately with a guy who is currently the second best WR on the roster, on what is essentially a QB-centric/passing offense.

If Funchess is your second best, it speaks to how badly we needed the upgrade.

You tend pay more for a new car when your current car is broken.  No difference here.

I definitely think Ballard hedged his bet with Funchess.  If he tanks, you're done with him after a year.  If he balls and is willing to re-sign a reasonable multiyear deal, all the better.  If he balls and then signs a monster deal somewhere else, you got a good year out of him plus a 3rd rounder on the back end.  No real lose/lose scenarios there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2