Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do if you were the Colts GM?

Lucky Colts Fan

I would...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you were the Colts GM?

• Exactly what Ballard is doing
    • Outbid other teams to get player X, Y, Z
    • Other

10 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Being a GM is a dynamic chain of acts. You negotiate, you give counter offers, you get out of deals, you bid over others or not. It can't be simulated by writing down a plan, because anything I write down is written in stone.  I can't change my mind, can't alter my deal, can't get out of it. I will never be right, because things never happen exactly as they are expected, and I can't react to the events.

Whoa buddy.

Don't make too much sense.

It's much easier to just bash the GM cuz he didn't sign the player you wanted.  :funny:

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

No.  I know Tom Brady has taken less with the Pats than he could have gotten from another team multiple times.

I'm saying all these people talking about "I would have signed player X" or "I would have traded this for player Y" aren't GMs.  They're just armchair GMs that couldn't actually close a deal, much less run an entire team.

It's funny to me when a fan thinks they know better than the GM that runs their team.

Well there are plenty of examples of players taking less money to play elsewhere, for example Ebron took less money to play with Andrew Luck. Look how that turned out. Career year for him. 

As for being a GM, is it an easy job? Absolutely not lol, but I’m more than positive you have some pretty knowledgeable members on this forum that know the ins and out of the game as well as the business aspect of the NFL. But hey it’s the off-season everyone wants to be a GM when there isn’t anymore football playing. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Numbers?

i could live with matching what the lions gave flowers.  i know its a lot, but thats one of the hardest roles to fill, and we need it for the defense to take the next step. as for desir, i have no idea what he will get tbh, and it doesnt seem like ballard does either.  im thinking something like 6-10 mil for about 3 years.  hes a little old to get a a long term deal

and that leaves bell.  they would need to be a little creative here to keep everyone happy.  how about 15 million for 4 years with both guarantees for him, and some incentives to get more while protecting the team

To the OP, I'd probably do exactly what CB is doing now.  Being careful not to rush to any signings that will handcuff me down the road or reaching for a guy that is likely to disappoint on a long-term deal.  Funchess may not be great but at least they aren't going to be stuck with him for very long if he goes Ryan Grant.  The Colts still have some FA's they'd probably like to re-sign and will have more next year.  I think it's OK to bring in a few guys to plug in holes for depth but throwing big dollars at elite guys rarely works out in your favor.  The smart money is to invest your time HEAVILY in the draft and get elite level guys (ahem.....Darius Leonard...…*cough*…...Quenton Nelson....*cough*) at a MUCH cheaper price for several years like they have.  And the Colts will certainly have the draft slots to accomplish just that.

• Like 1

What I find challenging is establishing a value for a particular player at a particular position in the context of the Colt's team. This is especially hard given the market dynamics of GM's resetting the market with available FA  players. You can't base value on last year's signings. That said, I was only expecting to bring on 2, maybe 3, top quality FAs. That doesn't look like it's going to happen. There is a "lost opportunity" cost to Ballard's (apparent) strategy that must be considered in the final equation. I guess we'll see how it all works out.

20 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Signed a CB, A Safety, A Rush LB, MLB, and probably a RB and WR too. Hell I have $100M+

oh...ok... you realize how silly you sound just throwing out positions but not the name of the player you wanted right?

and a good eye for the game. Forget anyone else saying that you cant do XYZ.

What makes you think you have a good eye for the game ?? lol

This team has too many wholes and for those who cannot see this is hard to believe.

This is pretty much the worst sentence ever.  Not only is it the wrong form of the word holes... I think it is a run on AND incomplete sentence.  It is so terribly worded that it is impressive lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

oh...ok... you realize how silly you sound just throwing out positions but not the name of the player you wanted right?

What makes you think you have a good eye for the game ?? lol

This is pretty much the worst sentence ever.  Not only is it the wrong form of the word holes... I think it is a run on AND incomplete sentence.  It is so terribly worded that it is impressive lol

Sir, you logged in to address grammar. There are millions of students, grade K-12 who needs your help. When you want to talk about ball, then let me know. Last time I checked, my degree is on the wall. Thanks anyways!

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You're apparently one of them.

Were you gonna give names and numbers of who you would sign and for how much?  Or nah?

Broski... Are you ok? Have you begun talking about Football or no? If not. Dont quote me, all of my quotes will be about football. not:

*Talking about what you had for lunch yesterday

*Commenting on spelling/punctuation of other posters

*Suggesting that people nap

*Talking about the sky is falling

etc. etc. etc.

Let me know when the game comes back on will yah!

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

Broski... Are you ok? Have you begun talking about Football or no? If not. Dont quote me, all of my quotes will be about football.

Let me know when the game comes back on will yah!

Let's go back in time shall we?  You responded to this thread with the following:

21 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Signed a CB, A Safety, A Rush LB, MLB, and probably a RB and WR too.

You posted the POSITIONS you would sign.  Not the players and for how much.  So I asked:

21 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Names and Numbers?

You have yet to answer this.  Please enlighten us all on what Rackeen305 the Amazing GM would do with this Free Agency period.  Please use player names and contract length/amounts.  Thank you in advance.  :thmup:

14 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Let's go back in time shall we?  You responded to this thread with the following:

You posted the POSITIONS you would sign.  Not the players and for how much.  So I asked:

You have yet to answer this.  Please enlighten us all on what Rackeen305 the Amazing GM would do with this Free Agency period.  Please use player names and contract length/amounts.  Thank you in advance.  :thmup:

That's a different price:thmup:

But since you ask here it goes:

1) Do everything possible to protect the face of the franchise

2) Give the coaches the absolute best available talent to work with

3) Win the Superbowl

I will stick to my guns and make Indy great again!:rock:

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

1) Do everything possible to protect the face of the franchise

2) Give the coaches the absolute best available talent to work with

3) Win the Superbowl

I will stick to my guns and make Indy great again!

Good pitch.  Ok, you're hired.  Now let's see some names and numbers.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Good pitch.  Ok, you're hired.  Now let's see some names and numbers.

No but honestly, I'm at work and cant crunch numbers right now, as I'm either on an iPhone or have limited opportunity to look over the market prices for players. However, based on what other players are getting and the teams that are receiving these players, I know that we should at least fill glaring holes we have especially at Mike and CB. This is prob step 1 and 2 that hasnt been addressed in years.

My guy (Walker) is ok but if you want that Ravens, or Pats, or Bears defense, we need that Alpha dawg commanding the defense on the field. I wanted Ruben Foster (BTW) and we got Hooker. That was one pick that I would have gotten wrong but it depends on who you're asking. We will see in a year or so If I would have been right.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'd like to see exactly how all the armchair GMs would have done a better job than Ballard.

Let's see some numbers and justification for all the criticism.

:sip:

I would build a defense like the Seahawks in 2013 and have an offense like the 13 broncos

On 3/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If you were the Colts GM, what would you do?

If I were Ballard, I'd do two things quickly. 1) I'd start to bottle my farts, because so many folks think everything I do, and everything I'll ever do, we'll smell like roses. 2) I'd also start a cult, or fan club for my peeps that are willing to blindly follow me and pump sunshine over every decision I make.

Just kidding. I love Ballard a bunch. He was a straight up rock star in the draft last year.... I just think some folks are over the top worshiping him.