Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notable FA's still available at positions of need

Valpo2004

Getting this from Walterfootball.  Please let me know if any of these guys got signed.

RB:

Bell

Ajayi 

Ingram

AP 

Coleman

Anderson

OLB

KJ Wright

CB:

Darby

Nelson

Callahan

Desir

Safety:

Thomas

Clinton-Dix

Geathers

Boston

There is some good talent out there that Ballard can try and get after everyone is done spending all their money.  

Espeically at CB and RB where I havn't noticed a lot of action at those positions.  

And how many of those will be left after "everyone spend their money ?" You have to overpay for the better players and most of the above will not be "bargains." Just my opinion ... but I can't blame Ballard for passing on 14 mill for Collins , 17 mill for Mosley and I forget what for P Smith. He also must feel or know T Williams will be in the 14-15 mill per year , so I don't blame him there.

That said he needs to spend some money soon as when the teams "rub out of money" , there will be scraps left.

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

And how many of those will be left after "everyone spend their money ?" You have to overpay for the better players and most of the above will not be "bargains." Just my opinion ... but I can't blame Ballard for passing on 14 mill for Collins , 17 mill for Mosley and I forget what for P Smith. He also must feel or know T Williams will be in the 14-15 mill per year , so I don't blame him there.

That said he needs to spend some money soon as when the teams "rub out of money" , there will be scraps left.

nrver mind

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

From listening to Ballard, I don't think he considers RB a position of need.  Certainly not a position where there's a need to bring in a high paid RB.

I don't think you need to bring in a high paid guy though.  I think you could get someone like Ajayi, Coleman, Ingram or Anderson for somewhere between 5 to 7 mil.  Maybe even less.

The RB market has some outliers like Gurley, Johnson and probably Bell will be on that list.  But the #4 RB in pay is Devonta Freeman at 8.25.  

Tier 2 RB's are really cheap in comparison to other positions.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think you need to bring in a high paid guy though.  I think you could get someone like Ajayi, Coleman, Ingram or Anderson for somewhere between 5 to 7 mil.  Maybe even less.

The RB market has some outliers like Gurley, Johnson and probably Bell will be on that list.  But the #4 RB in pay is Devonta Freeman at 8.25.  

I wouldn't mind Coleman, but I think they're pretty satisfied with the four on the roster.  I'm sure they'll bring in a few UDFA's for the preseason, but barring injury I'll be surprised if anyone new makes the team.

Always room for improvement though.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

There might be a little more but teams are quickly running out of money.  

Jets, Pack, Bills, Cardinals, Lions, and 49ers have all dropped a ton of money on some big contracts.  Jags spent almost all their cap space on Foles. 

Only team I see that was pretty high in cap space that hasn't gone and spent most of it by now is the Browns and Texans.

Also remember these teams have to leave some left over to sign their draft picks.  

Just relax. . . this is what we did last year, waited for the big contracts to stop flying around before we starting signing guys.  It's been working out rather well for us.  

There might be a few more big signings coming but the GM's who were spending money like they are afraid that it will burn a hole in their pocket are starting to find they are low on money now.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

There might be a little more but teams are quickly running out of money.  

Jets, Pack, Bills, Cardinals, Lions, and 49ers have all dropped a ton of money on some big contracts.  Jags spent almost all their cap space on Foles. 

Only team I see that was pretty high in cap space that hasn't gone and spent most of it by now is the Browns and Texans.

Also remember these teams have to leave some left over to sign their draft picks.  

Just relax. . . this is what we did last year, waited for the big contracts to stop flying around before we starting signing guys.  It's been working out rather well for us.  

There might be a few more big signings coming but the GM's who were spending money like they are afraid that it will burn a hole in their pocket are starting to find they are low on money now.   

Not for nothing and I realize there are still good players out there but the Jets have not exhausted their cap by any means. Anthony Barr ended up going back to the Vikings , so the Jets have spent around  29 mill on 3 players so far. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ballard has said, and really there is no reason to not believe him, that he really likes the backs they have now and that includes Jonathan Williams.

I think the only time they sign a  veteran RB is after the draft once they get a full look at the roster and even then I think it is unlikely.  The more likely veteran signee would be if someone got hurt during camp or in season.

12 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not for nothing and I realize there are still good players out there but the Jets have not exhausted their cap by any means. Anthony Barr ended up going back to the Vikings , so the Jets have spent around  29 mill on 3 players so far. 

Fair enough with Anthony Barr changing his mind the Jets still have some good cash to spend.  

However I do think a lot of this "why are we doing nothing" reaction is sort of an emotional one because we in a sense as fans want to be entertained by hearing of a big signing or 2.  Especially with as much cap space as we have.  And when the signings don't come it's kind of a let down.

But at the same time I think we should also realize going in that this is who Ballard is.  He's always going to spend carefully and not going to sign market setting deals to outside free agents.  

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Ballard has said, and really there is no reason to not believe him, that he really likes the backs they have now and that includes Jonathan Williams.

I think the only time they sign a  veteran RB is after the draft once they get a full look at the roster and even then I think it is unlikely.  The more likely veteran signee would be if someone got hurt during camp or in season.

And that's what he might do.  I just think it would be a good idea to add depth to the committee in FA.  

Now don't get me wrong.  I don't want to get anyone here who thinks he's going to be the clear cut #1 back.  I want someone to split carries with Mack and I'm not buying into Wilkins due to the fumbling problem.  

54 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Fair enough with Anthony Barr changing his mind the Jets still have some good cash to spend.  

However I do think a lot of this "why are we doing nothing" reaction is sort of an emotional one because we in a sense as fans want to be entertained by hearing of a big signing or 2.  Especially with as much cap space as we have.  And when the signings don't come it's kind of a let down.

But at the same time I think we should also realize going in that this is who Ballard is.  He's always going to spend carefully and not going to sign market setting deals to outside free agents.  

I'm reserving judgement until the is over. I will say that I'll be highly disappointed if we don't come out of this a "LOT" better than we entered it.  If we lose Geathers and Dersir and don't add a ton more value than what they represented , then this IMO should be considered a monster mess up.

We are a playoff team that had the most cap room of any team. If it gets to a point that the better players are drying up , he needs to bite the bullet and not finish second on those players. This is not horseshoes .. close doesn't count.

• Like 1

As to the RB situation, if they add to the existing group, I think it will be with a later round draft pick from round 5 onward. There will be some talented pounders still available at that point, which is what the Colts need. 

A free agent? Highly unlikely unless the market completely dries up for a really good player. 

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Getting this from Walterfootball.  Please let me know if any of these guys got signed.

RB:

Bell

Ajayi 

Ingram

AP 

Coleman

Anderson

OLB

KJ Wright

CB:

Darby

Nelson

Callahan

Desir

Safety:

Thomas

Clinton-Dix

Geathers

Boston

There is some good talent out there that Ballard can try and get after everyone is done spending all their money.  

Espeically at CB and RB where I havn't noticed a lot of action at those positions.  

As far as your list of need...  We do not need a RB .  so that group can come off the list.  We do need Dline so you should add anyone in the front 7 to replace RB's

40 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

As far as your list of need...  We do not need a RB .  so that group can come off the list.  We do need Dline so you should add anyone in the front 7 to replace RB's

RB isn’t happening neither is OL or anything on that side of the ball with Funchess aboard. We could see DL or on additions the back end. I still think Geathers and Desir will be back 

49 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

need is strong word, but there is room to be a lot better.   the team was like 20th in rushing yards and even worse in ypc.  some might say its not even that important anymore, but the last two super bowl winners were both top 5 in rushing yards.  

some of these guys listed in the OP wont be very expensive either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Mahagga73.... as I said earlier....

Oh I am ok with it, which is exactly what they are aiming for.  OK.  I have just been burned out on the philosophy by our pro basketball team....  

It's why you hear them talk about how "hard" it is to win games and how much "Luck" is involved in the "anything can happen" post-season....  

Same recipe.   In this part of the country, to make enough $$ and stick around..... you need 1 star, and fill in with enough solid role players to make the playoffs every year, then sell the fans on the "anything can happen once you're in" concept as the only way to win Championships....

I don't think it is wrong, it may, in part, be brilliant...  placate the fans, they continue to buy into the "belief" that their team which is, indeed, above average, will surely get in, and have a chance to win it all.

You can't go for broke in this area trying to win it all..... because if you fall short, or have to rebuild the team after you DO win it all....  the fans turn on you and bail very quickly....

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

RB isn’t happening neither is OL or anything on that side of the ball with Funchess aboard. We could see DL or on additions the back end. I still think Geathers and Desir will be back 

I think we will take oline somewhere in the draft. As depth and not one of the top picks

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

need is strong word, but there is room to be a lot better.   the team was like 20th in rushing yards and even worse in ypc.  some might say its not even that important anymore, but the last two super bowl winners were both top 5 in rushing yards.  

Mack was hurt quite a bit but for the last half of the season he was one of the top backsin teh NFL.  And I'm not a Mack fan as the #1 back

Time to reevaluate options:

RB:

Le'Veon Bell

Mark Ingram

Tevin Coleman

Jay Ajaya

WR:(could still see us pick up a slot)

Golden Tate

Randall Cobb

Tyrell Williams

Dontrelle Inman

OL:

Darryl Williams

DE:

Justin Houston

Ezekiel Ansah

Benson Mayowa

Shane Ray

DT:

Ndamukong Suh

Tim Jernigan

Darius Philon

Danny Shelton

Malcolm Brown

LB:

K.J. Wright

CB:

Ronald Darby

Pierre Desir

Darqueze Denard

Bryce Callahan

Brashaud Breeland

S:

Eric Berry(rumored to be released with Honey Badger signing)

Earl Thomas

Haha Clinton-Dix

Clayton Geathers

Tre Boston

Mike Mitchell

TE:

Tyler Eifert

Just listed some of the guys that seem to fit CB criteria.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I agree.

I don't see why so many think we don't need to improve our group of rb's. 

Mack I like but even as our #1 still not sure about his ability to stay healthy or be a 'special back'.

Wilkins like I said in another thread, is nothing special and easily replaced. Reich basically benched him for a significant amount of time. Probably because of fumbling issues.

Hines is actually more of a receiver than runner.

We need someone to go along with Mack. I'll be satisfied with Coleman or that kid from Bama.

11 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Mack was hurt quite a bit but for the last half of the season he was one of the top backsin teh NFL.  And I'm not a Mack fan as the #1 back

I would argue that Mack being hurt is one of the reasons you need more depth at RB.  

Wilkins has issues with fumbling and Hines is more of a 3rd down back, you don't want to give him too many rushing attempts because he's not going to give you a good YPC.

If Mack gets hurt again we are back go rolling the dice on if Wilkins will hold onto the football or letting Hines run for 3.7 yards a carry. 

• Like 1

RB:

Le'Veon Bell

Mark Ingram

Tevin Coleman

Jay Ajaya

Golden Tate

Randall Cobb

Tyrell Williams

Dontrelle Inman

OL:

Darryl Williams

DE:

Justin Houston

Ezekiel Ansah

Benson Mayowa

Shane Ray

DT:

Ndamukong Suh

Tim Jernigan

Darius Philon

Danny Shelton

Malcolm Brown

LB:

K.J. Wright

CB:

Ronald Darby

Pierre Desir

Darqueze Denard

Bryce Callahan

Brashaud Breeland

S:

Earl Thomas

Haha Clinton-Dix

Clayton Geathers

Tre Boston

Mike Mitchell

TE:

Tyler Eifert

Red+ Gone    Yellow= Want

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember there are going to be a lot of good players cut to make room for all these crazy signings. This is where you find the value.

Can you provide examples of good players that were cut in the past couple of years? Im just having a tough time recalling impact players that happened to. Serious question, no shade or anything

28 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

RB:

Le'Veon Bell

Mark Ingram

Tevin Coleman

Jay Ajaya

Golden Tate

Randall Cobb

Tyrell Williams

Dontrelle Inman

OL:

Darryl Williams

DE:

Justin Houston

Ezekiel Ansah

Benson Mayowa

Shane Ray

DT:

Ndamukong Suh

Tim Jernigan

Darius Philon

Danny Shelton

Malcolm Brown

LB:

K.J. Wright

CB:

Ronald Darby

Pierre Desir

Darqueze Denard

Bryce Callahan

Brashaud Breeland

S:

Earl Thomas

Haha Clinton-Dix

Clayton Geathers

Tre Boston

Mike Mitchell

TE:

Tyler Eifert

Red+ Gone    Yellow= Want

I don't see any mention of Coleman agreeing to sign with anyone.

Who you got?

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Guys I'm thinking about : Coleman, Breeland, Barrett, Philon, Dix, and Quinn if he is released. 

I would rather have Ajayi than Coleman.  Ajayi seems to be at the top of the tier 2 backs while Coleman seems to me to be at the bottom of tier 2.  

I'm not opposed to Coleman, I just think Ajayi would be better.