Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official complaints about Free Agency thread (merge)

GusFring

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Because those guys aren't making $10-13 M a year to find out.

Funchess is.  

The guy has to be the happiest person on the planet right now.

He just got $10-13 M to play football for a year when he was worth half that...if that.

You  don’t think he would  rather have a multiple year contract with guarantee money.  The kid is taking a big risk.

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

A Johnson was already deep into the spirals of being average or worse. AB is still ballin'.

Not when he was signed. The majority of NFL "experts" and fans celebrated that move just like this Brown move right now.

I'm not sayin' Brown is done. But he is a risk, and there is a reason why most NFL teams didn't take that risk. Including, for example, the Patriots. Who are, by the way, in dire need of receivers. Right now, receiver is probably the only single need for them to repeat their SB run next year. Still, they opted out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J@son said:

As I recall, you two (threeflight and GusFring) were posting this same nonsense last year and through the first few weeks when the colts were losing.  Once the Colts turned it around and started winning, you both mostly disappeared.  Hopefully the Colts come out to a quicker start this year so you guys will disappear sooner. :)

You mean like last year's "trash signings" that wound up being graded as one of, if not the best overall value FA class in the league? 

Thanks, Jason. Damn but I needed this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

So instead of trading a 3rd and a 5th and giving a top 5 greatest WR of all time $18 M for 3 years, which would have made the Colts instant top 3 favs to win the SB this year, we decided to give $13 M to a guy who runs like a statue and who can't catch.

Does this make any rational sense?

To me it doesn't and I'm surprised Irsay hasn't stepped in and said sign someone while we have all this money and Luck is still viable 

Excellent point.

19 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@threeflight we just see this differently.

I'd rather sign a guy like Funchess and wait around to see how well he performs on the field than sign a guy like AB and wait around to see how long before our locker room blows up.

:dunno:

Nothing wrong with that.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

Hope you are right and I am wrong btw.....although  I do think Devin will do ok here.  Better than Grant at least.  I just don't like the price, the one year, the player, and the fact that we could have gotten better for not much more.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Not when he was signed. The majority of NFL "experts" and fans celebrated that move just like this Brown move right now.

I'm not sayin' Brown is done. But he is a risk, and there is a reason why most NFL teams didn't take that risk. Including, for example, the Patriots. Who are, by the way, in dire need of receivers. Right now, receiver is probably the only single need for them to repeat their SB run next year. Still, they opted out.

Maybe because Brady can't throw deep? Which is why he's always dinking & dunking. 

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Nothing wrong with that.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

Hope you are right and I am wrong btw.....although  I do think Devin will do ok here.  Better than Grant at least.  I just don't like the price, the one year, the player, and the fact that we could have gotten better for not much more.

Who would we have got. Williams would have wanted  a lot of guaranteed money. Plus because he is young he is looking probably for a five year deal. 13m for one year or 60m for five years.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Buying  a WR isn’t going  to just get you a SB. The Steelers couldn’t even do it with AB and Bell. I don’t want anyone on my team who I’m als himself me paycheck. Sorry.

Well I can tell you that the Raiders Las Vegas odds to win the SB have increased about 30% just by the Brown signing, while the Steelers odds have dropped about the same amount.

I would take a 30% increase in chances to win the SB....otherwise what is this all for?

Granted, those are just odds and anything can happen and doesn't mean a thing.  But the odds makers are smart guys, they seem to like this trade for the Raiders quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So why don't the Steelers have any SBs to show for having both AB and Bell at the same time?

IMO their coach is a cheat and a not very stand up guy.  I think the players see that in him and use that to their own advantage.  The culture there sucks imo.

When they see their coach try and trip a guy running down the sidelines?  What kind of example is that for your players?  Its not good.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who would we have got. Williams would have wanted  a lot of guaranteed money. Plus because he is young he is looking probably for a five year deal. 13m for one year or 60m for five years.

Well my two best WRS for the Colts were Humphries and Brown.  

I absolutely love Humphries and think he is another Stokely.   He came moderately priced too.

And of course OBJ if a trade can be made that won't cost an arm and two legs.  

Other than that just go with what you have and the draft.  

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But you're ok with bringing some of that culture to the Colts locker room?

Culture as in what is created by their coach.

Most players are all the same.  They all have egos, and they all want to win and they all want money.  Put them in the right environment with the right leaders and most will behave unless they are absolute crazy bi polar people. 

51 minutes ago, threeflight said:

My opinion is if you are a 4-12 team and have a new coach and are just trying to rebuild?  It is not worth signing players that are great but may have a red flag or two.

But when you have an Andrew Luck with 3 years already wasted and no longer a young guy, when you are coming off a 10-6 season, when you have $100 M to spend, and when you have a set coaching staff, GM and culture already in place?

It is wellllllllllll worth whatever risk there may be in signing a player or two of that caliber to try and win a SB.  And it isn't even a decision in my mind.

New England seems to have no issues doing it for example.  How much has their 'culture' been damaged by the signings of Moss, Revis, Gordon and how many others with risk?

Look, football players aren't Priests.  Everyone has red flags.  IF you don't have a culture on your team to handle it, then find a coach and GM who can implement that culture.

Okay, so for a team to say 'we want to avoid potential distractions because we're not ready for that kind of noise' is reasonable. The issue is you disagree with whether the Colts are ready for that kind of risk.

And the reason, it seems, is because you're anxious over Luck's prime and just want the Colts to go all out and fly through every yellow light in the name of 'win now.' 

If you'll accept that there are situations in which a team should NOT take that kind of risk, then maybe you'll make your peace with the fact that the Colts don't think they should take that kind of risk right now. 

That's specific to Brown. Maybe OBJ (he's going to cost more than a third and fifth anyways). 

Bell is a different story, and under no circumstances would I pay him what he's asking for.

59 minutes ago, threeflight said:

It was a 5th round pick.

Worth the risk imo.

Instead we traded the pick I believe in the 5th and took Fountain lol...who looks....not good.

Again....    you're not following.

The doctors likely removed Hurst from the board.    Irsay likely got involved and voted thumbs down.    Ballard couldn't have taken him if he wanted.      And 30 other teams made the same decision.      Just one team found him draftable.   

And if we traded,  we didn't trade up,  we traded down.   So we got more than Fountain.   Which of course,  you don't mention because it weakens your already weak argument.

The fact that YOU think Hurst was worth the risk is meaningless.    FanBoys of all 32 teams likely thought just like you do.      That's why you don't make decisions and other people do.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.    Even people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again....    you're not following.

The doctors likely removed Hurst from the board.    Irsay likely got involved and voted thumbs down.    Ballard couldn't have taken him if he wanted.      And 30 other teams made the same decision.      Just one team found him draftable.   

And if we traded,  we didn't trade up,  we traded down.   So we got more than Fountain.   Which of course,  you don't mention because it weakens your already weak argument.

The fact that YOU think Hurst was worth the risk is meaningless.    FanBoys of all 32 teams likely thought just like you do.      That's why you don't make decisions and other people do.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.    Even people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Welcome back!

A 5th rounder is hardly going to make or break you.  Most aren't even around after a year or two.  If I can get a top ten talent in the 5th round?  Hell yes that is worth the risk lol.

42 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Neither here nor there, but there was a report that the Pats offered a 2 and a 4 for Brown.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay, so for a team to say 'we want to avoid potential distractions because we're not ready for that kind of noise' is reasonable. The issue is you disagree with whether the Colts are ready for that kind of risk.

And the reason, it seems, is because you're anxious over Luck's prime and just want the Colts to go all out and fly through every yellow light in the name of 'win now.' 

If you'll accept that there are situations in which a team should NOT take that kind of risk, then maybe you'll make your peace with the fact that the Colts don't think they should take that kind of risk right now. 

That's specific to Brown. Maybe OBJ (he's going to cost more than a third and fifth anyways). 

Bell is a different story, and under no circumstances would I pay him what he's asking for.

I agree with most of that.  I just think the Colts are closer than you perhaps in being a SB contender.

Differing views, doesn't make either one wrong.

Rather have seen 13 mil spent on Sheldon Richardson. Ballard u have the money not just to count. D plus for that horrible WR move. I mean need some better players; D remains an issue. What about Justin Houston? Make better moves Ballard.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Neither here nor there, but there was a report that the Pats offered a 2 and a 4 for Brown.

I saw that report as well.  My guess is the Steelers didn't want to offer him up to the SB Champions haha.

So my point is even more validated.  IF the Pats can make him an offer, I think we could.

And I just have to laugh at the narrative being spun on Brown.  He has been around for 10 years and has always been a good teammate and a guy who tries hard.  Now, because of the toxic situation in Pitts he is being labeled as 'untouchable'.  

It's crazy talk.  Get him in a good situation with a strong coach and Gm and he would be just fine.  He will do very well with the Raiders.

58 minutes ago, threeflight said:

If there was any risk of him dying...he wouldn't be playing.

Dying wasn't the issue.  The issue was would be play or not.

I think a risk on Hurst was well worth it rather than taking someone like a Fountain, or any 5th rounder for that matter.  Most never work out.

Take it for what it's worth, but evidently some teams thought he should never play again because of his heart condition. 

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/5/3/17315310/more-furor-from-league-scouts-coaches-over-raiders-irresponsible-selection-of-maurice-hurst

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Take it for what it's worth, but evidently some teams thought he should never play again because of his heart condition. 

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/5/3/17315310/more-furor-from-league-scouts-coaches-over-raiders-irresponsible-selection-of-maurice-hurst

I can't think of the guys name but I equate it to the RB who blew out his entire knee a few years ago.  Lots of nerve damage too.  He dropped from a first rounder to a late second day pick.

Might never work out, but for a late pick number that hardly ever works out anyway, I thought it was worth it.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I agree with most of that.  I just think the Colts are closer than you perhaps in being a SB contender.

Differing views, doesn't make either one wrong.

I'm not talking about whether they are close to being a contender or not. I'm talking about their gauge of the locker room and the culture, and whether they want to risk upsetting it for any player, including Brown.

And what I'm trying to point out is that -- most likely -- big moves for discontented players weren't on the table, bottom line, because the staff doesn't want to take that chance. And in principle, you agree that that's a reasonable stance. Your actual disagreement is with the staff, who knows the locker room, knows the players (many of them know Brown, or his former coaches and teammates), and as such has a good idea about whether this is the right time to take on that kind of personality.

And mostly likely, it's because you're a fan who only cares about going all out to win right now. The staff is trying to run a football program.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Bell and Mack would be awesome.

But that being said, considering our position of need on offense which is WR, I would have much rather had Brown than Bell if I had to choose.  Especially with Mack and the 2 other young guys.  They are superstar elite, but they are serviceable. 

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

I can't think of the guys name but I equate it to the RB who blew out his entire knew a few years ago.  Lots of nerve damage too.  He dropped from a first rounder to a late second day pick.

Might never work out, but for a late pick number that hardly ever works out anyway, I thought it was worth it.

Blowing out your knee is much different from having a heart attack or stroke.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not talking about whether they are close to being a contender or not. I'm talking about their gauge of the locker room and the culture, and whether they want to risk upsetting it for any player, including Brown.

And what I'm trying to point out is that -- most likely -- big moves for discontented players weren't on the table, bottom line, because the staff doesn't want to take that chance. And in principle, you agree that that's a reasonable stance. Your actual disagreement is with the staff, who knows the locker room, knows the players (many of them know Brown, or his former coaches and teammates), and as such has a good idea about whether this is the right time to take on that kind of personality.

And mostly likely, it's because you're a fan who only cares about going all out to win right now. The staff is trying to run a football program.

And my point is I believe:

A.  Brown is not as bad as he is acting or being portrayed right now. I just think he wanted out of Pitts.

B.  I like our coaches a lot more than Tomlin to reign him in.

C.  I think guys like Luck and some of the guys on D have created enough culture to keep him in line as well.

And if your coaches and players aren't the type to create the proper culture?  Than find ones who are. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Blowing out your knee is much different from having a heart attack or stroke.

He is never going to play if that is the risk.  

Cmon.  

IF you draft him and he never plays as a 5th so what.  That round is so hit or miss most don't play even when healthy. 

If you draft him and he plays?  Huge win.

29 minutes ago, threeflight said:

And my point is I believe:

A.  Brown is not as bad as he is acting or being portrayed right now. I just think he wanted out of Pitts.

B.  I like our coaches a lot more than Tomlin to reign him in.

C.  I think guys like Luck and some of the guys on D have created enough culture to keep him in line as well.

And if your coaches and players aren't the type to create the proper culture?  Than find ones who are. 

What are you basing number one on?    Do you know the guy?