Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official complaints about Free Agency thread (merge)

GusFring

They did sign a WR that lead all WR's in 2018 in drops for 13mm (with incentives) which is the same as TY Hilton.  Got to believe that 13mm could have gone a long way to landing someone who will make a real difference.  This signing looks more unusual for CB, overspending on someone with no proven history, even if it is just one year.

• Like 4

I know it is disappointing, but I feel like I have to remind people that there are 31 other teams in the league, all with needs and most with cash to spend!  We cannot sign everyone on day one folks (bearing in mind day one is tomorrow!! haha).

I understand the frustration seeing teams like the Packers and Jets making a lot of moves, but that is not how we have been built to this stage and I don't see it being the way we are built going forward.

Let's just take a breath and see where we are come the end of the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Zero excitement around what should be an exciting time. Not 1 big splash. Not 1. I just don't know what to say.

Meh, its not even been 24 hours and what players have signed, got HUGE contracts.  and thats in a very weak FA class overall. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Here we go again another free agency filled with trash signings.

All I can say is suck it up, buttercup.

Ballard has said exactly what his philosophy is and what he will look to do since day 1. If some people choose to ignore that and believe that he should go after the "big fish" just because he has cap space... well that's not a Ballard problem.  Not like this FA class was particularly impressive anyway.

Just sit back, watch Ballard grab key contributors for significantly less.

Grigson was big into the splash signings early in FA. Perhaps you'd all like to go back to that?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

They did sign a WR that lead all WR's in 2018 in drops for 13mm (with incentives) which is the same as TY Hilton.  Got to believe that 13mm could have gone a long way to landing someone who will make a real difference.  This signing looks more unusual for CB, overspending on someone with no proven history, even if it is just one year.

"Overspending" for a one year deal with a chunk of it in incentives, when you have 100+ million in cap, cannot be considered overspending. Overspending is dishing out 6 year deals with a whole lot of guaranteed money, making players that aren't the best at their positions one of the top, if not the top, paid players of said position... 

It is only unusual to fans that don't listen to his process... He's looking for value. He found value. Funchess on a one year deal with a high incentive to perform is good value. There will be plenty more in the upcoming days and weeks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Yes. Just sit and be bored and disappointed together. 

No thanks.  But I'd like you to meet this guy.  You should have plenty to talk about.

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Here we go again another free agency filled with trash signings.

I think Funchess will be better with Luck's touch than Superman's Laser's.

And He did go after people, But when the opposing teams start mortgaging their houses for above average players, it is just time to fold your cards and walk away.  I am for one VERY happy Ballard has the self control to do that when it is needed.

• Like 4

What about the big spenders??  Won't they eventually have to cut some very good players for cap reasons as a result?  We're only finished with Day one of Tampering Period...in Day 2 now and the official signing day is tomorrow.

It's Irsay's money and Irsay's team.  He hired Ballard to run it and Reich to coach it, so what we think is irrelevant in the overall scheme of things.  Ballard and Reich won awards for their performance last season...I don't think anyone here won the Armchair GM trophy.

Going to let them do their job and enjoy the results.  This time last year no one would have guessed the success we ended up having, the awards won by players, coaches and our GM.

• Like 2

Chris Ballard is not a closer it seems.

Couldn't close Landon Collins, couldn't close Preston Smith.

It's very clear that he doesn't want to upgrade the talent of the Colts by the way of FA.

He prefers drafting, and that's fine.

But come on Chris, you have to overpay a little to land quality in free agency.

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

No thanks.  But I'd like you to meet this guy.  You should have plenty to talk about.

Very funny haha you have basically 100 million in cap space im not saying go out and overpay every high priced guy just go get 1 maybe 2 Funchess really we are no better today than we were 3 days ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

It's very clear that he doesn't want to upgrade the talent of the Colts by the way of FA.

You cant just build through the draft that never works did it net bears a title when he was there no did get the chiefs a title when he was there no it wont here either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James said:

Nothing wrong with how he's doing it honestly.

You don't just buy a house because you want one if you have money. Buying a house at 200k just to buy one when it's probably worth half that isn't smart.

I think fans fall for the hype hard nowadays. Was Mosley or Collins guaranteeing us a SB? Not a chance.

So instead of trading a 3rd and a 5th and giving a top 5 greatest WR of all time $18 M for 3 years, which would have made the Colts instant top 3 favs to win the SB this year, we decided to give $13 M to a guy who runs like a statue and who can't catch.

Does this make any rational sense?

To me it doesn't and I'm surprised Irsay hasn't stepped in and said sign someone while we have all this money and Luck is still viable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

Zero excitement around what should be an exciting time. Not 1 big splash. Not 1. I just don't know what to say.

Didn't you create this thread last year?  If you did then you should know better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Can anyone tell me how many "big name" free agents who are in their prime the Patriots have signed from other teams over the last 2 decades? I honestly can't think of them making any big "splashes" in free agency. I would rather mimic the approach of proven winners like the Patriots over going out and trying to sign every big name free agent like teams like Washington and Oakland have done over the years. What approach has been more successful?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1