Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official complaints about Free Agency thread (merge)

GusFring

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Being from MI originally I also watched a lot of Detroit Lion games and said last year on this board that the Ebron signing was a very sneaky good signing.  I really liked it.  Drafted him on every fantasy team I had as well last year.  I could always tell in Detroit he wasn't utilized correctly and he had a certain flash to him that I liked.

Funchess I have never really seen anything.  He will do Ok here.  But imo he is not worth the money and certainly not worth signing over other guys.  Or trading for.

You also crapped all over Ballard's draft and offseason last year. Maybe just let it play out before complaining. Like last year, it may just surprise you.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

You weren't okay with it last year, either. You spent most of the season complaining about Ballard, until the Colts made the playoffs, two of our rookies were All Pro, and Ballard got Exec of the Year. Then you offered a tepid mea culpa.

There's a significant difference between your preferred approach and Ballard's approach, in basically every circumstance.

I wasn't happy with taking a guard over someone else that high.  I have since said that he proved me wrong on that one and I was happy to eat crow.

I also was very critical of not taking a WR early and also especially not taking Maurice Hurst in the 5th when he dropped.  He is going to be a BEAST for the Raiders.  A beast.

As for Free agency I loved Ebron and Autry.  The other signings I was meh about and I don't think I was proven wrong about that. 

Just now, threeflight said:

I wasn't happy with taking a guard over someone else that high.  I have since said that he proved me wrong on that one and I was happy to eat crow.

I also was very critical of not taking a WR early and also not especially not taking Maurice Hurst in the 5th when he dropped.  He is going to be a BEAST for the Raiders.  A beast.

As for Free agency I loved Ebron and Autry.  The other signings I was meh about and I don't think I was proven wrong about that. 

"We the jury find the defendant, @threeflight, guilty of lying under oath."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just going to leave this right here.  

That is exactly right.  Game Changers.

You need them to win.  

We don't really have many.  Maybe Luck and Hilton at best.

Bell and AB were there.  They ARE GAME CHANGERS.  

Foolish to not make an effort to sign them. We are SB favs if we had.

You are all telling me you wouldn't want to be SB favorites this year?  

And the signings of those 2 would have barely dented our cap space.  Certainly better than $10 M on a Devin Funchess.

That is exactly right.  Game Changers.

You need them to win.  

We don't really have many.  Maybe Luck and Hilton at best.

Bell and AB were there.  They ARE GAME CHANGERS.  

Foolish to not make an effort to sign them. We are SB favs if we had.

You are all telling me you wouldn't want to be SB favorites this year?  

And the signings of those 2 would have barely dented our cap space.  Certainly better than $10 M on a Devin Funchess.

Did you even read that tweet. He said these FA signings were players who are not game changers So in other words the amount they got was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Here we go again another free agency filled with trash signings.

https://www.colts.com/news/spotrac-colts-have-most-valuable-2018-free-agent-class

The Indianapolis Colts aren’t reliant on free agency to build their team, but they do use it to supplement the weak spots on their roster. According to Spotrac, the Colts did a better job than any team this offseason in doing just that.

On Friday, Spotrac put out their grades for notable free agent signings by each team this year by identifying "all free agent contracts of at least $2M from each team, assessing a ‘Value Level’ for each based on $ vs. production."

Again, the Colts aren’t one to make splashy free agent signings — unless for the right price and circumstance — but the moves that they do execute, they tend to make them count. Per Spotrac:

“By far one of the most successful free agent classes in the league, the Colts took a few low-risk moves on bringing in (Eric) Ebron & (Ryan) Grant to add weapons for (Andrew) Luck, and both have been effective. Denico Autry has been one of the more productive edge defenders in the game, and Matt Slauson has been another positive piece to a finally improved offensive line.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, threeflight said:

I think it is pretty logical actually.

Those are guys still in their primes.  Not Andre Johnsons.

So by your logic, any time a team doesn't go hard after a 'game changer in his prime' it necessarily means they don't want to win a Super Bowl, right?

And the secondary aspect of that argument is that, if you go hard after a 'game changer in his prime,' it necessarily makes you a contender, right?

It's so easy when you know exactly how everything is going to work out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

More like CULTURE CHANGERS.  :thmdown:

Pittsburgh was just fine for years with those guys.  The fact is AB hated Ben and both AB and Bell were allowed to dictate things because  coach Tomlin let them.  Might have been a 'black' thing I don't know.  But I know he lets things go that most coaches would not.

I would take a guess and say the coaching and management situation here would not let that happen.

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I also was very critical of not taking a WR early and also not especially not taking Maurice Hurst in the 5th when he dropped.  He is going to be a BEAST for the Raiders.  A beast.

I seriously doubt the call in Hurst was Ballard’s to make.   He was likely taken off the board by the medical reports and what fail to notice was that 30 OTHER teams also failed to draft Hurst.  30 of 31 teams made him undraftable.

Also at that level...  the owner typically steps in to give a final thumbs up or down.  They don’t want a player who might die on the field playing for them.   

So to blame Hurst on Ballard is false. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did you even read that tweet. He said these FA signings were players who are not game changers So in other words the amount they got was ridiculous. 

And I said I agree.  The only people who deserve that money are gamechangers.  

So we agree then.

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

https://www.colts.com/news/spotrac-colts-have-most-valuable-2018-free-agent-class

The Indianapolis Colts aren’t reliant on free agency to build their team, but they do use it to supplement the weak spots on their roster. According to Spotrac, the Colts did a better job than any team this offseason in doing just that.

On Friday, Spotrac put out their grades for notable free agent signings by each team this year by identifying "all free agent contracts of at least $2M from each team, assessing a ‘Value Level’ for each based on $ vs. production."

Again, the Colts aren’t one to make splashy free agent signings — unless for the right price and circumstance — but the moves that they do execute, they tend to make them count. Per Spotrac:

“By far one of the most successful free agent classes in the league, the Colts took a few low-risk moves on bringing in (Eric) Ebron & (Ryan) Grant to add weapons for (Andrew) Luck, and both have been effective. Denico Autry has been one of the more productive edge defenders in the game, and Matt Slauson has been another positive piece to a finally improved offensive line.”

I can't take any article seriously that calls Ryan Grant 'effective'.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I seriously doubt the call in Hurst was Ballard’s to make.   He was likely taken off the board by the medical reports and what fail to notice was that 30 OTHER teams also failed to draft Hurst.  30 of 31 teams made him undraftable.

Also at that level...  the owner typically steps in to give a final thumbs up or down.  They don’t want a player who might die on the field playing for them.   

Or, blame it all on Ballard. I think it was a perfectly reasonable stance, and like you said, so did 30 other teams. Teams take players off the board for bad medical all the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

So by your logic, any time a team doesn't go hard after a 'game changer in his prime' it necessarily means they don't want to win a Super Bowl, right?

And the secondary aspect of that argument is that, if you go hard after a 'game changer in his prime,' it necessarily makes you a contender, right?

It's so easy when you know exactly how everything is going to work out.

No.  But it isn't often you see players like Ab, Bell, and even OBJ being made available in the same year.  That happens very very rarely.  Players like that don't grow on trees.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I can't take any article seriously

I can't take any of your posts seriously...

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Pittsburgh was just fine for years with those guys.  The fact is AB hated Ben and both AB and Bell were allowed to dictate things because  coach Tomlin let them.  Might have been a 'black' thing I don't know.  But I know he lets things go that most coaches would not.

Seriously?  You need to take a walk and clear your head before posting anymore of this nonsense.

No.  But it isn't often you see players like Ab, Bell, and even OBJ being made available in the same year.  That happens very very rarely.  Players like that don't grow on trees.

Okay, so set aside your opinion of these players, their perceived issues and their greatness.

Do you think it's reasonable for a team to say 'we want to limit distractions in our program, so we're going to pass on talented players if they're more me-first than team-first'?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It was a 5th round pick.

Worth the risk imo.

Instead we traded the pick I believe in the 5th and took Fountain lol...who looks....not good.

49 minutes ago, threeflight said:

This.

Humphries for 2 years and $20 M is imo a 1000000000 x better deal than signing Funch for 1 year and $10-13 M.  

It locks up a much better player at a cheaper price.  He could have been our next Brandon Stokley.  Instead we have our next Grant, A Johnson etc.  

And even if he does do well, we will have him for a year.  Whoopppee.  

It does nothing to solve the long term issue of WR need.  

Meanwhile a top 3 wr of all time gets traded for a 3rd and a 5th and we can't even consider it because of culture 'reasons'.

Imagine AB on this team.  Add Bell and Humphries.  We are super bowl favs imo.

The fan base would be incredibly stoked.

Instead we have....what we have.  

*Says a guy on a fan forum who thinks he knows more than the general manager of the year coming off one of the best offseasons in NFL history... 

I do agree we have what we have. And it's much better than the scenario you just posed, which is complete fantasy and ludicrous. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Correct.  I have seen him play countless times.  

He is an 'ok' player.  Literally a dime a dozen player.

Just no point in doing this.  I would rather see our young guys play than to pay someone like him that much money.  For one year mind you.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

He is certainly worth every bit of a 3rd, a 5th, and $18 M a year.  And its not even close.

I heard this plenty of times before. Around this time in 2015, the Andre Johnson deal made the Colts the offseason darling. Many said they are one of the strongest SB contender. How did it work out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Okay, so set aside your opinion of these players, their perceived issues and their greatness.

Do you think it's reasonable for a team to say 'we want to limit distractions in our program, so we're going to pass on talented players if they're more me-first than team-first'?

My opinion is if you are a 4-12 team and have a new coach and are just trying to rebuild?  It is not worth signing players that are great but may have a red flag or two.

But when you have an Andrew Luck with 3 years already wasted and no longer a young guy, when you are coming off a 10-6 season, when you have $100 M to spend, and when you have a set coaching staff, GM and culture already in place?

It is wellllllllllll worth whatever risk there may be in signing a player or two of that caliber to try and win a SB.  And it isn't even a decision in my mind.

New England seems to have no issues doing it for example.  How much has their 'culture' been damaged by the signings of Moss, Revis, Gordon and how many others with risk?

Look, football players aren't Priests.  Everyone has red flags.  IF you don't have a culture on your team to handle it, then find a coach and GM who can implement that culture.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

"Who cares if he dies on our practice field, we only spent a fifth rounder on him."

If there was any risk of him dying...he wouldn't be playing.

Dying wasn't the issue.  The issue was would be play or not.

I think a risk on Hurst was well worth it rather than taking someone like a Fountain, or any 5th rounder for that matter.  Most never work out.

@threeflight I think you are single-handedly keeping this thread alive because you like the title so much.  Do you wish you had created this thread?  Maybe named it something similar like "Ballard STILL not impressing me"...

If someone just read the title, they might mistakenly think you were the OP.

And being compared to @GusFring is not a compliment.  :grumpy2:

2 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

I heard this plenty of times before. Around this time in 2015, the Andre Johnson deal made the Colts the offseason darling. Many said they are one of the strongest SB contender. How did it work out?

A Johnson was already deep into the spirals of being average or worse.

AB is still ballin'.

Funchess is the about same age as the Colts young guys, 24, vs. Krishawn Hogan, Daurice Fountain and Steve Ishmael at 23, Zach Pascal at 24, and Chester Rogers at 25. Why not see what young Funchess can do with defenses focusing on Hilton and Ebron, and A. Luck throwing him the ball. 

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@threeflight I think you are single-handedly keeping this thread alive because you like the title so much.  Do you wish you had created this thread?  Maybe named it something similar like "Ballard STILL not impressing me"...

If someone just read the title, they might mistakenly think you were the OP.

And being compared to @GusFring is not a compliment.  :grumpy2:

I don't know who that is and I could care less.

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

Funchess is the about same age as the Colts young guys mind you. 24 vs. Krishawn Hogan, Daurice Fountain and Steve Ishmael at 23, Zach Pascal at 24, and Chester Rogers at 25. Why not see what young Funchess can do with defenses focusing on Hilton and Ebron, and A. Luck throwing him the ball. 

Because those guys aren't making $10-13 M a year to find out.

Funchess is.  

The guy has to be the happiest person on the planet right now.

He just got $10-13 M to play football for a year when he was worth half that...if that.

New England seems to have no issues doing it for example.  How much has their 'culture' been damaged by the signings of Moss, Revis, Gordon and how many others with risk?

When they signed Moss, they were 3 times SB champions, and just lost to the Colts in the AFCGG. They had a boatload of veterans in their locker room (from Bruschi to Junior Seau, Ty Warren, Harrison, Seymour, etc.) to handle ANYONE in their locker room. 

They signed Revis for a bargain price, for practically a one year deal, not a multi year billion dollar deal. Gordon? He does not even belong to this list. He is not in that category. And he was a desperation move anyway, which didn't work out.

Look, football players aren't Priests.  Everyone has red flags.  IF you don't have a culture on your team to handle it, then find a coach and GM who can implement that culture.

Or, you don't rush it. You finish implementing that culture & locker room before you make those moves.