Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official complaints about Free Agency thread (merge)

GusFring

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Can anyone tell me how many "big name" free agents who are in their prime the Patriots have signed from other teams over the last 2 decades? I honestly can't think of them making any big "splashes" in free agency. I would rather mimic the approach of proven winners like the Patriots over going out and trying to sign every big name free agent like teams like Washington and Oakland have done over the years. What approach has been more successful?

Revis , Gilmore and moss to name a few.  It does pay to be aggressive sometimes.  They never sit on 100 million$ ever

The Rams had a lot too and they got pretty far.  The jags had spent a lot last year when they made a run

2 hours ago, Superman said:

If he hits his incentives -- and we don't even know what they are yet, they could be lame incentives for all we know -- we'll be giving him $13m for one year.

In most instances, even multi year contracts aren't structured to be more than a two year commitment, so the guaranteed money is something that we can't really evaluate until more details are available. Just know I personally would rather have Humphries at $19m guaranteed for 2 years than Funchess at $10m guaranteed for one year.

And this assumes that the Funchess details being reported are even accurate.

This.

Humphries for 2 years and $20 M is imo a 1000000000 x better deal than signing Funch for 1 year and $10-13 M.  

It locks up a much better player at a cheaper price.  He could have been our next Brandon Stokley.  Instead we have our next Grant, A Johnson etc.  

And even if he does do well, we will have him for a year.  Whoopppee.  

It does nothing to solve the long term issue of WR need.  

Meanwhile a top 3 wr of all time gets traded for a 3rd and a 5th and we can't even consider it because of culture 'reasons'.

Imagine AB on this team.  Add Bell and Humphries.  We are super bowl favs imo.

The fan base would be incredibly stoked.

Instead we have....what we have.  

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

This.

Humphries for 2 years and $20 M is imo a 1000000000 x better deal than signing Funch for 1 year and $10-13 M.  

It locks up a much better player at a cheaper price.  He could have been our next Brandon Stokley.  Instead we have our next Grant, A Johnson etc.  

And even if he does do well, we will have him for a year.  Whoopppee.  

It does nothing to solve the long term issue of WR need.  

Meanwhile a top 3 wr of all time gets traded for a 3rd and a 5th and we can't even consider it because of culture 'reasons'.

Imagine AB on this team.  Add Bell and Humphries.  We are super bowl favs imo.

The fan base would be incredibly stoked.

Instead we have....what we have.  

Brown is far from a top 3 receiver all time.   Get real

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting.....    espeically since less than a week ago,  I offered up a post with my preferred receiving group for the 19 season.     I wrote:   Hilton, FA receiver, Rookie receiver, Inman and Cain.    I noted it was 5 receivers so we even had room for a 6th.    

And your response was that was what you forecast or wanted too...     Today?   Not so much.

Hmmmm?

I'm still fine with that approach, but I wanted a different kind of receiver. I feel like Funchess makes Inman superfluous. 

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

@Superman here's a cheery thought for you. Ballard spent massive money for a big, contested catch receiver. IMO this makes it more likely that he's going to go after a slotty/YAC type of receiver in the draft(Parris Campbell, Deebo Samuel, Andy Isabella)... 

Why did it take you so long to say that out loud??? :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You're right. But you present your opinion as absolute, which is why I commented in the first place... 

No I don't. My opinion on Funchess has been presented as my opinion.

My thoughts on the impact of his contract are different, especially as it relates to people saying 'it's just a one year deal, don't worry about it,' as if I don't understand that a one year deal comes off the books after one year. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

he doesn't think that "oh well, it's just 1 year 10M... not a big deal if he doesn't work out" argument precisely because he doesn't like Funchess and he thinks the money could have been spend better. 

I don't like that argument for anyone. It reflects a lack of understand of the way cap management works.

It's auxiliary that I'm not thrilled with the player, but even if I did like Funchess and the idea of a one year deal, the whole 'it's just one year' thing isn't a good defense.

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Revis , Gilmore and moss to name a few.  It does pay to be aggressive sometimes.  They never sit on 100 million$ ever

The Rams had a lot too and they got pretty far.  The jags had spent a lot last year when they made a run

How did the jags look last year?

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I heard Peter King on the radio today say the smart teams like the Colts aren’t going to spend much until the crazy money dies down even though they have money to spend.

Look who is throwing all this money around. It is teams that are bad and did not make the playoffs. They are trying to buy a team. That isn’t how it works. You build through the draft and create a winning culture that way. 

This is a somewhat better explanation....    except that we were always going to spend the money on SOMEONE.     You don't dispute that.

So, if we're going to spend the money,  and there's a chance of a bad signing,  then I want a SMALL BAD SIGNING and not one that's 4 or 5 years that might go sour and have HUGE cost ramifications.

If this is a mistake, a bad signing,  I'd prefer one for $10 Mill and not $20 or $30 Mill.

Okay. So I don't think this qualifies as a "small bad signing," because one year, $10m isn't "small." And I think contrasting it with a 4-5 year deal kind of glosses over the fact that guaranteed money and contract structure are more important than the years of the deal. 

And I'm not even willing to call it a mistake. On its merit, I can understand what they're going for. I just don't agree with the approach or the execution. Whether it's a mistake or not remains to be seen.

Who?    Give me names?   

A big, outside guy?   Apparently Williams will be way outside our comfort level.   So,  who?

Kevin White or Cody Latimer will probably get significantly less money, Jordan Matthews has more production... If Williams wants a multi year deal at $10-12m per, I'm fine with passing on him (I said that last week also).

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Look who is throwing all this money around. It is teams that are bad and did not make the playoffs. They are trying to buy a team. That isn’t how it works. You build through the draft and create a winning culture that way. 

IMO that is fine if you are coming off a 4-12 season.

But when you have Luck, who we have already wasted 3 years with and who isn't getting any younger now, a 10-6 playoff team, a team with $100 M to spend, and a team that hasn't won a SB in how long??

IMO that is the perfect scenario to go for it.   Not do crazy stuff, but bringing in someone like a AB or a Bell is not crazy.  That is called adding great players to put you over the top.  

We are not going to win with our skill O players being Luck, Hilton, and I guess Ebron and Mack?  And even Ebron...there is a huge difference between someone like him and a Kelce.  Yes he caught TDs and yes I like him, but he is not a game changer.

The point is you need great players to win.  Mannings, Waynes, James, Harrisons.  We have two very very good ones in Luck and Hilton, but nothing I would call great.

5 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'm willing to bet money that the Jets and Raiders don't even sniff the playoffs next year despite "winning" free agency.

They are coming off horrible seasons and are farther away.

The Colts are not.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Kevin White or Cody Latimer will probably get significantly less money, Jordan Matthews has more production... If Williams wants a multi year deal at $10-12m per, I'm fine with passing on him (I said that last week also).

Would you have preferred Breshad Perriman for 5M? 

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

But when you have Luck, who we have already wasted 3 years with and who isn't getting any younger now, a 10-6 playoff team, a team with $100 M to spend, and a team that hasn't won a SB in how long??

IMO that is the perfect scenario to go for it.   Not do crazy stuff, but bringing in someone like a AB or a Bell is not crazy.  That is called adding great players to put you over the top.  

We are not going to win with our skill O players being Luck, Hilton, and I guess Ebron and Mack?  And even Ebron...there is a huge difference between someone like him and a Kelce.  Yes he caught TDs and yes I like him, but he is not a game changer.

The point is you need great players to win.  Mannings, Waynes, James, Harrisons.  We have two very very good ones in Luck and Hilton, but nothing I would call great.

They are coming off horrible seasons and are farther away.

The Colts are not.

How do you know we could go out there and regress completely from last year and have a horrible year for all we know.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Funchess is a long way away from being an elite talent.

Correct.  I have seen him play countless times.  

He is an 'ok' player.  Literally a dime a dozen player.

Just no point in doing this.  I would rather see our young guys play than to pay someone like him that much money.  For one year mind you.

Can't criticize? Wut? I just took a stroll down memory lane...well, actually it was the OP's posting history, and I wouldn't exactly call it complimentary towards the Colts.

But in fairness, I will address the intent of the tread. 

False premise, Ballard gets criticized constantly. As far as it "sucking"...that is one's own personal definition of their view. The real results of this FA period (so far), will take a wee bit more time to materialize. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

How do you know we could go out there and regress completely from last year and have a horrible year for all we know.

Of course anything is possible.  But I mean if you want to take that approach, why sign anyone???

But I would like my chances a heckuva lot better with guys like AB, Bell, and Humphries than a guy named Funchess.  For $10-13 M mind you.

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Correct.  I have seen him play countless times.  

He is an 'ok' player.  Literally a dime a dozen player.

Just no point in doing this.  I would rather see our young guys play than to pay someone like him that much money.  For one year mind you.

Funny same things were being said about Ebron. How did that turn out.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why not wait to see until he plays. You know saying that you could look really stupid when the season starts.

I grew up in MI.  Went to MSU and have been a big UM sports fan all my life.

Also I draft Cam a ton on my fantasy teams over the years so I watch all his pro games as well.

Funchess is ok.  Not someone worth getting excited about and not worth the money we just paid.

30 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Call me crazy, but when I see you come out of the woodwork to badmouth Ballard, I can't help but think that Ballard must be doing something right.  :hat:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funny same things were being said about Ebron. How did that turn out.

Being from MI originally I also watched a lot of Detroit Lion games and said last year on this board that the Ebron signing was a very sneaky good signing.  I really liked it.  Drafted him on every fantasy team I had as well last year.  I could always tell in Detroit he wasn't utilized correctly and he had a certain flash to him that I liked.

Funchess I have never really seen anything.  He will do Ok here.  But imo he is not worth the money and certainly not worth signing over other guys.  Or trading for.

9 minutes ago, threeflight said:

You weren't okay with it last year, either. You spent most of the season complaining about Ballard, until the Colts made the playoffs, two of our rookies were All Pro, and Ballard got Exec of the Year. Then you offered a tepid mea culpa.

There's a significant difference between your preferred approach and Ballard's approach, in basically every circumstance.

• Thanks 1