Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering Day 2

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Mike Mitchell being out was a big deal? This team should not be depending on him and should have more than one go to WR

Exactly. That's our problem. No weapons behind TY and lack of playmakers on D. Would of been nice to grab a couple in FA. 

2 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

COLTS SIGN...

I'm not a fan of Milton - he's really good on special teams, but offers absolutely nothing at CB... was actually happy to not see him resigned... can't go wrong on a one-year deal however, hopefully without any guarantees...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, creid said:

Exactly. That's our problem. No weapons behind TY and lack of playmakers on D. Would of been nice to grab a couple in FA. 

It’s okay we will go 11-5 and lose to KC or NE again and everyone pat Ballard on the back for his salary friendly deals that allow us to hang more AFC finalist trophies

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  you lost me.

You can't imagine they are?     Who are we talking about?

You're saying you think Glowinski is now unhappy with his deal?

No...that Glow and Safford are viewed the same. I was agreeing with you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

It’s okay we will go 11-5 and lose to KC or NE again and everyone pat Ballard on the back for his salary friendly deals that allow us to hang more AFC finalist trophies

I agree we need a couple more play makers. But so you have a crystal ball. When we have a lot of huge contracts to give our the next few years we were not paying those prices. Those teams never win. Nelson and Leonard May very well be the highest paid tackle and line backer in the league when we have to pay them.

Ballard probably had no problem with the 14m Collins got. It’s the six years and all the guaranteed money is where it became stupid.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Dang. 

I'm usually skeptical on these "super team" team ups, but unless they're ravaged by injuries I don't see how they don't make the playoffs and potentially make noise next year. 

I mean, they already went from a 1 win team to 7 wins last season.. That's impressive enough. Plus they're division is kind of in shambles.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Has NE ever had the most talent. No. 

Wish people would stop bringing them up. NE has the greatest QB of this generation, who stopped taking huge contracts long ago  and the Greatest HC of any generation. They don’t need all that other stuff

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree we need a couple more play makers. But so you have a crystal ball. When we have a lot of huge contracts to give our the next few years we were not paying those prices. Those teams never win. Nelson and Leonard May very well be the highest paid tackle and line backer in the league when we have to pay them.

Ballard probably had no problem with the 14m Collins got. It’s the six years and all the guaranteed money is where it became stupid.

Dang. 

And with proper contract/cap management I'm sure we will be easily able to sign them. Those two cobracts in particular are still 3 and 4 years away. 

Nelson is a guard btw. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Wish people would stop bringing them up. NE has the greatest QB of this generation, who stopped taking huge contracts long ago  and the Greatest HC of any generation. They don’t need all that other stuff

Exactly. Belichick is the greatest for a reason. If NE was easy to recreate everyone would do it. 

I wonder if people realize that yes we have contracts that will be big in the future and that we can still sign them even if we sign other big free agents.  We can always cut them or trade them when we need to. Its not like we would be doomed if we barely had money left.  We can cut the players.  Just like jags are doing now. Its not hard. Sign free agents.  Keep our own drafted players let. Go of the free agents later on in the contracted years when those newly drafted players need to be resigned. 

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I wonder if people realize that yes we have contracts that will be big in the future and that we can still sign them even if we sign other big free agents.  We can always cut them or trade them when we need to. Its not like we would be doomed if we barely had money left.  We can cut the players.  Just like jags are doing now. Its not hard. Sign free agents.  Keep our own drafted players let. Go of the free agents later on in the contracted years when those newly drafted players need to be resigned. 

Good idea, but not really applicable for the first few days of FA.

Those days are where good FAs get great guaranteed money, so releasing them in the future only hinders your ability to resign your own due to dead cap hit.

After the initial feeding frenzy, players tend to not get as much guaranteed money, if any, and agree to more team friendly contracts.  This is where your strategy of cutting a (older) player to resign a draft pick entering their prime makes more sense.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dang. 

I really don't see too many NFL teams using that "strategy." I'm not even sure that's the plan? How do you know that Nelson and Leonard won't want to test the market ?  This is fine if you are a few years from contending. IMO and I say IMO only signing a guy that has a history of dropping passes to a 1 year deal is pretty weak considering having 100 million and looking at whats gone and what's left. 

I hope Ballard surprises me and makes a splash out of this yet . 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

No...that Glow and Safford are viewed the same. I was agreeing with you.

Sorry for the confusion.   You’re a longtime favorite of mine.   Wanted to at least make sure we’re talking about the same thing before I decided if we agreed or not.

Many thanks....

16 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

That part's definitely true.

But I think Ballard's reluctance to go above his set price has a lot to do with the whole "sending the wrong message to the locker room" mantra. If we know one thing about him it's that he wants to have a very strong locker room/leadership. He's talked about how overspending for guys from other teams can send the wrong message, and also that they have to fit/basically be a team first guy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Good idea, but not really applicable for the first few days of FA.

Those days are where good FAs get great guaranteed money, so releasing them in the future only hinders your ability to resign your own due to dead cap hit.

After the initial feeding frenzy, players tend to not get as much guaranteed money, if any, and agree to more team friendly contracts.  This is where your strategy of cutting a (older) player to resign a draft pick entering their prime makes more sense.

Yeah I kniw,  I don't mean like go out and go on a spree and buy all the FA.  Like at least go and get some that will be play makers.  I don't want to buy every player,  but at least two top FA players yes I want.  Especially with the money we have! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Are you telling me nfl teams don't have to Honor contracts???? Lol 

We can save 8mill by cutting sheard.  ASE and point. 

13 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I really don't see too many NFL teams using that "strategy." I'm not even sure that's the plan? How do you know that Nelson and Leonard won't want to test the market ?  This is fine if you are a few years from contending. IMO and I say IMO only signing a guy that has a history of dropping passes to a 1 year deal is pretty weak considering having 100 million and looking at whats gone and what's left. 

I hope Ballard surprises me and makes a splash out of this yet . 

Ballard will never let them test the market. If we are building the locker room it looks like these guys will want to stay here. What some don’t understand is the truly great players want to stay where there is a winning culture. These overpaid players yesterday were let go for a reason. 

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard will never let them test the market. If we are building the locker room it looks like these guys will want to stay here. What some don’t understand is the truly great players want to stay where there is a winning culture. These overpaid players yesterday were let go for a reason. 

You're talking about things 3-4 years down the road. Also not totally true on players that hit free agency. Balt wanted desperately to keep Mosley . Minn wanted no pat of losing Barr. Houston offered Matheiu 10 mill per year. LA Rams didn't have the cap space to keep all their guys. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure the Bears wanted to keep Amos , etc etc.

To insinuate all the free agents were selfish players that only care about money is a real reach and not well thought out. BTW ... you can respond but I'm not going to spend a lot of time doing a back and forth on this one .

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Leveon Bell literally said a year ago to someone saying theyd offer him $60M to come play for the Jets that "That aint enough to come run with the Jets".

Enjoy Bell. Enjoy lol

What this says is that Bell was out of options

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Bell is being paid nicely and is fresh unlike Earl Thomas who decided to play. Good for Bell

actually he's not... he's making LESS than he would have had he played, hes making LESS than the Steelers offer all around.  He literally said he wanted 22 mil per in his next contract via his verified twitter posts. He got 13 mil per.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

actually he's not... he's making LESS than he would have had he played, hes making LESS than the Steelers offer all around.  He literally said he wanted 22 mil per in his next contract via his verified twitter posts. He got 13 mil per.

Didn’t say he got what he asked for. I said he got paid nicely. You guys are making it seem like he got peanuts.