Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs to release Berry

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if Berry is released,  I don't see Ballard making a move.

Berry is not a strong safety.    He is a free safety. 

The Colts have Hooker playing there....

I'm curious how much that actually matters.  I thought I read someplace that the distinction between free and strong safety in the Colts defense isn't really a big one because they are both asked to do the same job on opposite sides of the field.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

I'm curious how much that actually matters.  I thought I read someplace that the distinction between free and strong safety in the Colts defense isn't really a big one because they are both asked to do the same job on opposite sides of the field.

That was under Pagano.    I don't think that's the case anymore with Ballard.

Hooker and Geathers are not interchangable.     One is clearly free.    One is clearly strong.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was under Pagano.    I don't think that's the case anymore with Ballard.

Hooker and Geathers are not interchangable.     One is clearly free.    One is clearly strong.

Well we run mostly a cover 2, which means both safeties play deep half zones. That seems to point to them being at least somewhat interchangeable, as their assignments are mirrors of one another. 

The big distinction between what Geathers does is that he tends to move down to the "Big Nickle" in a 3 safety formation and cover a short mid zone.

If we brought in a player like Berry, we could use him to play the deep half with Hooker, while using someone else (Farley perhaps) as our "Big Nickle" 

Not saying thats necessarily what we should do, just that its definitely doable with the formations we have been running. 

Now if we plan to eventually move to more cover 3 looks as we get the proper personnel, thats a different story. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Well we run mostly a cover 2, which means both safeties play deep half zones. That seems to point to them being at least somewhat interchangeable, as their assignments are mirrors of one another. 

The big distinction between what Geathers does is that he tends to move down to the "Big Nickle" in a 3 safety formation and cover a short mid zone.

If we brought in a player like Berry, we could use him to play the deep half with Hooker, while using someone else (Farley perhaps) as our "Big Nickle" 

Not saying thats necessarily what we should do, just that its definitely doable with the formations we have been running. 

Now if we plan to eventually move to more cover 3 looks as we get the proper personnel, thats a different story. 

Look at your first sentence....

How often do you see Geathers deep?     With Hooker it's most of the time.    With Geathers its more like some of the time.    

I don't see the fit for Berry.

Hey,  I hope I'm wrong.     I love the guy.    I'm sure Ballard does too.    If we sign him then I'm on board.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at your first sentence....

How often do you see Geathers deep?     With Hooker it's most of the time.    With Geathers its more like some of the time.    

I don't see the fit for Berry.

Hey,  I hope I'm wrong.     I love the guy.    I'm sure Ballard does too.    If we sign him then I'm on board.

Like I said, Geathers did a lot of big nickle looks last year, playing an almost hybrid safety/LB role for us. We saw a lot of Hooker/Mitchell (or Odum) deep, with Geathers playing closer to the LoS.