Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected WRs

AwesomeAustin

I don't know who will end up being the starters at the end of the season but you don't pay someone 13M a year to sit him on the bench. I think at the very least they will try to make it work for 4-5-6 weeks before they give up in case it doesn't work. I'm not saying it won't work... it very well might - Luck loves himself those big targets. Funchess is a TE convert.  So yeah... IMO it will be TY and Funchess starting. I want to see what we do with the draft... I can absolutely see us taking someone like Parris Campbell or Deebo Samuel or Andy Isabella to complete our starting core. Hell, all of those(including TY and Funchess) can be moved around and used in variety of ways and from variety of formations. That's the definition of multiple and what was the first thing that Reich said about the offense he wants to run - uptempo, multiple offense. 

So ideally it would be something like:

X - TY, Cain, Pascal

Z - Funchess, Rogers

slot - Campbell/Samuel/Isabella 

With Cain and Rogers/Pascal? coming off the bench or... if Cain beats out the rookie for the starting spot, I wouldn't mind that either... TY can be moved around for the formation to make more sense in that case. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know who will end up being the starters at the end of the season but you don't pay someone 13M a year to sit him on the bench. I think at the very least they will try to make it work for 4-5-6 weeks before they give up in case it doesn't work. I'm not saying it won't work... it very well might - Luck loves himself those big targets. Funchess is a TE convert.  So yeah... IMO it will be TY and Funchess starting. I want to see what we do with the draft... I can absolutely see us taking someone like Parris Campbell or Deebo Samuel or Andy Isabella to complete our starting core. Hell, all of those(including TY and Funchess) can be moved around and used in variety of ways and from variety of formations. That's the definition of multiple and what was the first thing that Reich said about the offense he wants to run - uptempo, multiple offense. 

X - TY, Cain, Pascal

Z - Funchess, Rogers

With Cain and Rogers/Pascal? coming off the bench or... if Cain beats off the rookie for the starting spot, I wouldn't mind that either... TY can be moved around for the formation to make more sense in that case. 

Rogers will be your primary slot guy. IIRC, 70% of his snaps were from the slot last year, and it was his best year to date. Funchess, Pascal, and Inman all had around 15% slots snaps last year too. I'd bet that Funchess spends more and more time at slot as the year progresses.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Rogers will be your primary slot guy. IIRC, 70% of his snaps were from the slot last year, and it was his best year to date. Funchess, Pascal, and Inman all had around 15% slots snaps last year too. I'd bet that Funchess spends more and more time at slot as the year progresses.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of our receivers go through the slot, that's part of what Reich wants when seeking to create and abuse mismatches. Thanks for pointing out Rogers was slot in most of his snaps, but take note that those are just his snap and he only was on the field for about 50% of the teams' snaps. So in reality he was slot for about 30-35% of the Colts snaps. We will have others playing from the slot too. Also... if we draft a slot receiver high and he shows good skill to begin with, IMO Rogers will take a back seat. 

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of our receivers go through the slot, that's part of what Reich wants when seeking to create and abuse mismatches. Thanks for pointing out Rogers was slot in most of his snaps, but take note that those are just his snap and he only was on the field for about 50% of the teams' snaps. So in reality he was slot for about 30-35% of the Colts snaps. We will have others playing from the slot too. Also... if we draft a slot receiver high and he shows good skill to begin with, IMO Rogers will take a back seat. 

i'm well aware of the math lol. 

i don't see the colts adding another slot. 

i can see funchess spending increasing time at the slot. 

but i don't see Rogers straying a bunch from slot (as a % of his snaps). 

IMO, what we need most, is a legit Z that can stretch the field, and take the double coverage of TY at X. If we do go that direction, the guys currently at X will either lose snaps, or find snaps at slot (or as overall depth). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IMO, what we need most, is a legit Z that can stretch the field, and take the double coverage of TY at X. If we do go that direction, the guys currently at X will either lose snaps, or find snaps at slot (or as overall depth). 

Campbell and Isabella are both players that can stretch the defense. Both are 4.31 athletes. Isabella has shown that he can win on the outside not just in the slot. Campbell is a bit more of a projection, because he played almost exclusively in the slot in college but... oh well... 

I guess I still don't think Rogers is good enough for what we want to be and I still think the value at WR is too good to pass up in this draft. I guess we will see in about 40 days or so.  

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Campbell and Isabella are both players that can stretch the defense. Both are 4.31 athletes. Isabella has shown that he can win on the outside not just in the slot. Campbell is a bit more of a projection, because he played almost exclusively in the slot in college but... oh well... 

I guess I still don't think Rogers is good enough for what we want to be and I still think the value at WR is too good to pass up in this draft. I guess we will see in about 40 days or so.  

An upgrade from Rogers is needed. Someone that can make guys miss and break tackles. 

Lets hope someone wants him and he can be part of a deal.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

An upgrade from Rogers is needed. Someone that can make guys miss and break tackles. 

Lets hope someone wants him and he can be part of a deal.

I don't mind Rogers as depth piece, he's good enough to be like... 4th-5th receiver. I mind him as a starter, though, and a WR we rely on on key downs. We need better weapons. All of those I mentioned can gain YAC(in different ways) and IMO would be great in our offense. There are some others too, but I kind of doubt we go after someone like Hakeem Butler now that we got Funchess.... although... I guess if it was me Funchess wouldn't prevent me from drafting what I consider the best WR in the draft if he falls to the second round. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, DerekDiggler said:

Why is everyone Ok to add a WR in the draft when we already did that last yr?   We have Caine he is like a free draft pick this yr because he never played last yr.   Yes he has to prove himself but not anymore or less than drafting a WR.   

I really don't get the thinking on here

Cain is coming off a significant injury so there are still question marks there. Fountain failed to edge himself into the rotation when I think he should've been able to (if he's the difference maker we need.) The JAX & KC games revealed to me just how much we do need another decisive wideout. In those games, it would be easy to conclude that Luck had a stinker, but it was really just a lack of separation. I mean that Jags game was just painful to watch, the routes those guys are running are obviously off screen, but I could just TELL that play after play, they were failing to threaten that (admittedly very good) secondary. We cannot overlook this need. I don't even think there is that much separating the need for DLine & that of WR. We have to select one with one of our first 3 picks, even after acquiring Funchess.

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just prioritize the need outside and opposite to TY, to slot. If we don't stretch the D opposite TY, it's gonna be a frustrating year.

We've got a lot of guys that can play or transition to slot that might be an upgrade to Rogers. Rogers though did improve last year, and had a good catch rating. I'd love to see Funchess work in the slot a lot, as opposed to the perimeter. Think we will see increased targets to Hines. 

15 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

IDK. My fear is that Ballard will roll the dice thinking Cain will be back to 100% health and speed, and doesn't take a WR in the top 3 picks. If we don't have that speed guy on the outside, we'll be one dimensional again when we play teams like KC and have to score a bunch. 

The Colts run 1-1-3 (1RB+1TE+3WR) sets 70% of the time, 1-2-2 sets 18%, and 1-3-1 sets 7% of the time. With Doyle getting healthy, I could see more 1-2-2 sets, and I could also see more 2-1-2 sets with Hines getting more pass targets. Hines has wheels, and I'd love to see him get some go-routes (I know I'm probably dreaming) as LBs and Ss would struggle keeping up with him.

I could see folks moving around WR positions as the year goes on, and guys develop. In the traditional 1-1-3 sets, I think it plays out like the below.

Start of year

WR1 Hitlon (Played 16% of his snaps at slot last year) / Cain

WR2 Funchess / Inman (30% slot snaps last year) / Pascal (30% slot last year)

WR3 (slot) Rogers (84% slot snaps last year) / Funchess (~15% slot snaps last year)

Middle of year

WR1 Hilton

WR2 Cain / Inman or Funchess / Pascal

WR3 (slot) Rogers or Funhcess

A high draft pick (first three rounds) could change all the above. Cain not being 100% could change things too.

This is my fear as well. This draft is incredibly deep at WR...and I am worried that they will pass. 

2 hours ago, Old Colt said:

Funchess = Ryan Grant,  he will be lucky to be #3 by the end of the season

Funchess = Inman

But without the knowledge of the system, tremendous catch rate and great rapport and trust with Luck. 

Luck had a 120 passer rating targeting Inman last year...higher than both Ebron and Hilton. Cam had a 68 passer rating targeting Funchess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

I want a legit Z and a legit Y. I think they can get both in this draft. Throw Cain/Fountain into the mix...and see who emerges from that group.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

X - TY, Cain, Pascal

Z - Funchess, Rogers

With Cain and Rogers/Pascal? coming off the bench or... if Cain beats out the rookie for the starting spot, I wouldn't mind that either... TY can be moved around for the formation to make more sense in that case. 

Agree...I think a slot WR will be a "priority" in this draft. Another guy I like is Stanley Morgan...who should be available later. 

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I want a legit Z and a legit Y. I think they can get both in this draft. Throw Cain/Fountain into the mix...and see who emerges from that group.

I'd love to have both too, but I don't see it happening. Assuming we don't address in FA, Edge, iDL, and CB will likely get addressed in the first 4 picks / 3 rounds. I'm just hoping for one of those first 3 picks / 2 rounds we get a WR. 

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

IMO, if we don't add, we're rolling the dice in a major way. Compare our combined WR production rating with any top 10 O. Our WR unit ranks worst by a wide margin. And all we've done this far is is add the 81st WR to our team. Not saying Funchess will fail, and certainly not cheering for him to suck, but it would be rolling the dice.

Passing on the WRs in the draft would be a mistake IMO. I didn't like passing early last year either...and this upcoming class is much stronger in that Day Two range.

Hilton is getting older, Funchess is a one-year deal (will be very surprised if he is retained...his skill set is very easy to replace)...and the rest are question marks or JAGs. Lots of uncertainty long-term...and guys take time to develop...so best to get them in now (especially when it's a deep class).

It seems like Funchess has replaced Inman's role. If that is the case...then an argument (based on last season) can be made that the WR group actually got a bit worse...because Inman was incredibly dependable and caught nearly everything thrown his way from Luck. 

But Inman also has the same issues with separating and YAC...and the WR group was clearly not very dynamic at the end of last season. And all that has happened so far is they have subbed out one non-dynamic player for another. 

Cain could certainly help...as I think he will be used a deep threat early on in his career (provided his speed is back). But he is still a question mark because of the injury. I think there is an entire group of talented guys in this draft with less question marks that would add to the dynamic element of the offense. And it would be a shame to pass them up.

I don't think happens...but I would be disappointed if it does.

20 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd love to have both too, but I don't see it happening. Assuming we don't address in FA, Edge, iDL, and CB will likely get addressed in the first 4 picks / 3 rounds. I'm just hoping for one of those first 3 picks / 2 rounds we get a WR. 

I think you can possibly get a slot type WR late in the draft. My preference would be Isabella...but he will likely go somewhat early. And I would rather use that early pick on a bigger WR with a more broad skill set.

In that case, I am looking at a guy like Stanley Morgan on Day 4...or possibly a guy like Greg Dortch (one of my favorite sleepers) late on Day 4. 

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think you can possibly get a slot type WR late in the draft. My preference would be Isabella...but he will likely go somewhat early. And I would rather use that early pick on a bigger WR with a more broad skill set.

In that case, I am looking at a guy like Stanley Morgan on Day 4...or possibly a guy like Greg Dortch (one of my favorite sleepers) late on Day 4. 

I'd love to know how Cain is progressing. Since they are pumping sunshine with the vids of his comeback, I have to assume things are going well. His status could change a lot either way.

I think there will be some good values late as well. I think Hurd will be a steal for someone. Was a freak at UT before he left (wanted to change from RB to WR) for Baylor. 6-4 and runs 4.45ish.  Dortch and Renfrow will be very interesting too. 

24 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd love to know how Cain is progressing. Since they are pumping sunshine with the vids of his comeback, I have to assume things are going well. His status could change a lot either way.

I think there will be some good values late as well. I think Hurd will be a steal for someone. Was a freak at UT before he left (wanted to change from RB to WR) for Baylor. 6-4 and runs 4.45ish.  Dortch and Renfrow will be very interesting too. 

Not a huge Renfrow fan. I want a guy that get YAC. And I think Dortch is that player...and he can return kicks. If he had elite speed...I think he is being talked about as a Day Two pick. He has tremendous vision.

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not a huge Renfrow fan. I want a guy that get YAC. And I think Dortch is that player...and he can return kicks. If he had elite speed...I think he is being talked about as a Day Two pick. He has tremendous vision.

I truly can see Renfrow going to the Pats and killing it. 

On 3/12/2019 at 12:34 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Have to remember we have a lot of targets. Plus three pretty good running backs. Yes it woul d hurt if TY missed that many games but we would be ok. Our offense isn’t just TY.

He's the only reliable guy to catch the ball outside of Doyle.  

I think the best case scenario would be for us to get back to 2 TE sets with healthy Doyle and Ebron  If both are healthy, Doyle is the more valuable mid field receiver and Ebron in the red zone.  With Funchess however, we have 3 great Red Zone receivers.  Funchess and Ebron in the end zone with Doyle crossing between the LOS and End Zone.  TY doing the same.  I think our original plan was to use the TE's in this way and with a lot more frequency than this year due to injuries.  (I don't see many folks discussing the injury impacts to our TE's and the intended play calling.  

I think if we DO focus on TE's and run 2 WR, 2TE, 1RB it will be a whole lot of fun.  Doyle and Hilton have the best hands in their groups, Ebron and Funchess have size/jump ball advantages.  I think the 4 together will be lethal.  My worry is Doyle being 100% and Funchess not meeting expectations of a 10M WR.  I like Pascal next as we do not have any idea what we have, good or bad, in Cain due to his injury and sitting out last year yet so many insist he is #2 or #3.  I don't get what that is based on.  I'd be MORE optimistic about drafting a top guy and that being a #2 or #3.  They've played more recently and should be injury free.  Of course if Cain is half what some here think he is, then we don't really have any worries left at WR.  But they brought Funchess in for a reason even with all his question marks.  I personally think Funchess is here to serve more as a glorified Receiving TE who will run some schemes they planned for a heavy TE rotation last year.  If he has that "Ebron-esque" skill set, then his measurables suggest he IS a receiving TE capable of lining up anywhere on the field.  I am a fan of a heavy usage of TE mismatches in the passing game, so if that IS their plan, then we still need a reliable traditional #2 type WR, and that may well be a battle between Pascal, Cain, Fountain and others.  I think they chose Rogers over Inman (though they may yet sign Inman if he's not getting bites elsewhere and wants to play with us on a pro-Colts deal.  I know he SAID he really wanted to stay with the Colts, it seems odd to me that they don't seem interested in bringing him back in yet.  If he remains unsigned, does he come here to compete in Training Camp for a job, or do they want to stick with the youth movement and let Inman float elsewhere?  It suggests Cain must be good to go and Pascal is looking legit as well.  The Rogers situation to me is hard to figure.. he has so little additional upside than what we've seen in my opinion, but maybe he still has a gear as yet unseen.  

To draft or not to draft a WR will be interesting and I suspect, aside from disappointments some may have, that we may learn we already have what we need in house (or not) by their decision.  I'd feel better if at least Inman was in the mix with the other pieces if we don't draft someone, but I can't see resigning him AND bringing a high draft choice in as well.  We'd have to cut a lot of people we've been talking about.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

IMO, if we don't add, we're rolling the dice in a major way. Compare our combined WR production rating with any top 10 O. Our WR unit ranks worst by a wide margin. And all we've done this far is is add the 81st WR to our team. Not saying Funchess will fail, and certainly not cheering for him to suck, but it would be rolling the dice.

The Colts total offense was rated 7th in the league with what we had last season so I think you are using numbers again to trash the Funchess signing.

As far as rolling the dice that is what every GM does very season so it's business as usual.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts total offense was rated 7th in the league with what we had last season so I think you are using numbers again to trash the Funchess signing.

As far as rolling the dice that is what every GM does very season so it's business as usual.

What Luck did with a rag tag WR2 and WR3 by committee was remarkable. No other team in the top 10-15 O did so much with a WR group ranked so bad. That said, Luck had to work twice as hard to do it. If you can't see the value of true stretch the field WR2, I'm not sure what to tell you. Every scout and talking head has said the Colts need a true #2, and just about every scout and talking head has been critical/meh of the Funchess signing. 

Like I said, I hope he does very well and turns his career around. But I'm not going to ignore past performance and blow sunshine out of my rear end just to be "positive". I'm a realist that values critical thinking based on facts. That doesn't mean Funchess won't turn it around and be a stud. 

If you want to ignore data and past performance, and pump sunshine, feel free. It's your right. 

33562313rainbow_puppy_dog_-_2_copy.jpg

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

What Luck did with a rag tag WR2 and WR3 by committee was remarkable. No other team in the top 10-15 O did so much with a WR group ranked so bad. That said, Luck had to work twice as hard to do it. If you can't see the value of true stretch the field WR2, I'm not sure what to tell you. Every scout and talking head has said the Colts need a true #2, and just about every scout and talking head has been critical/meh of the Funchess signing. 

Like I said, I hope he does very well and turns his career around. But I'm not going to ignore past performance and blow sunshine out of my rear end just to be "positive". I'm a realist that values critical thinking based on facts. That doesn't mean Funchess won't turn it around and be a stud. 

If you want to ignore data and past performance, and pump sunshine, feel free. It's your right. 

33562313rainbow_puppy_dog_-_2_copy.jpg

Look, you are dwelling on Funchess's past and assuming he won't improve being on the Colts.

You may be right but you have gone way out of your way to trash the signing. You can't simply say you dislike the signing. No you have written quite a few mini novels and have taken over the conversation regarding Funchess.

Now you want to insult me with your rainbow-puppy horse dung because I would rather wait and see?  Figures.

I am with you in regards to Funchess. I have watched him since Michigan (Michigan fan here). I want him to succeed. I will be rooting for him every Sunday. But I can't ignore the past...or even last season.

A big selling point for him is that Luck loves big WRs. But is really that true? His favorite WR is a guy under 6 feet who is fast...and gets open. He excelled with Reggie who wasn't a big WR...because he got open. Yes he excelled with Ebron...but that's mainly because he got open against mismatches. 

That's not really Funchess. I am not sure when Luck became this QB that likes to chuck it up to a big WR and let him come down with it...or this guy that likes to throw contested passes. He's cerebral...he goes through his reads and finds the open man. That's what makes him so damn good. 

Moncrief had similar issues. Last season, Grant was basically phased out of the offense cause he couldn't separate or get open. 

Obviously the coaches know better and see something that he can bring...I just have major reservations about what that is vs. what I they need. Hopefully some combo of Cain and a draft pick/s can provide that.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:54 AM, shastamasta said:

I am with you in regards to Funchess. I have watched him since Michigan (Michigan fan here). I want him to succeed. I will be rooting for him every Sunday. But I can't ignore the past...or even last season.

A big selling point for him is that Luck loves big WRs. But is really that true? His favorite WR is a guy under 6 feet who is fast...and gets open. He excelled with Reggie who wasn't a big WR...because he got open. Yes he excelled with Ebron...but that's mainly because he got open against mismatches. 

That's not really Funchess. I am not sure when Luck became this QB that likes to chuck it up to a big WR and let him come down with it...or this guy that likes to throw contested passes. He's cerebral...he goes through his reads and finds the open man. That's what makes him so damn good. 

Moncrief had similar issues. Last season, Grant was basically phased out of the offense cause he couldn't separate or get open. 

Obviously the coaches know better and see something that he can bring...I just have major reservations about what that is vs. what I they need. Hopefully some combo of Cain and a draft pick/s can provide that.

I hope Reich figures a way to use him to mask his issues and take advantage of his strengths. The weird thing about his drop issues, is that they typically happen on good passes to the numbers. His "body" catching challenges are well documented. He is pretty darn good at times  making circus catches well away from his body. It's not very often a guy can change habits, or the way he fundamentally catches the ball. And it's not like we can expect Luck to try and throw differently to one WR.

I do think he could end up being a big help in the RZ. I just don't see him meeting WR2 type production in between the 20s. Reich turned Ebron into a TD machine by tripling his RZ targets (compared to his days in Detroit). While having two big targets in the RZ is nice, I think it's just shifting production from Ebron to Funchess. He does seem to get a little more separation across the middle (than perimeter), so perhaps they'll pit him vs LBs and up his slot snaps. 

I’m interested to see the colts in 12 personnel with Ty, Funchess, Ebron, Doyle and Hines out of the backfield. This formation seems like it could create huge mismatches. If Hines improves on running between the tackles it could be a go to chain moving lineup on 3rd down that has a lot of options. Defenses can’t drop a safety in the box bc it opens up the seams.  If they go nickel we will have a huge size advantage that can open up run lanes.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m interested to see the colts in 12 personnel with Ty, Funchess, Ebron, Doyle and Hines out of the backfield. This formation seems like it could create huge mismatches. If Hines improves on running between the tackles it could be a go to chain moving lineup on 3rd down that has a lot of options. Defenses can’t drop a safety in the box bc it opens up the seams.  If they go nickel we will have a huge size advantage that can open up run lanes.  

I still want a 1-1-3 with two fast stretch guys on the perimeter. I feel the 12 above would be great in the RZ, but between the 20s still means TY get's doubled. Speaking of Hines, I think we might see him in the passing game a lot more this year.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

I am very positive about the Funchess signing.  I thought we over paid for Ebron last year and I was wrong in so many ways.  If Ballard and Reich see enough in Funchess to pay him a $10mil base, I will trust the process.  He is a big bodied receiver this board had been wanting for awhile.  I feel he will be a great target for 3rd down and in the red zone. 

1. Hilton

2. Funchess

3. Draft pick or I hope Innman

4. Rogers

5. Cain

6. Battle between several players which is great.  

3rd spot is wide open and a work in progress. Ebron acts as a 3rd receiver a lot so hopefully the size of him and Funchess will force defenses into mismatches often. This is shaping up to be a very good group of receivers. Remember, Luck threw 39 TDS to a revolving group of receivers...it’s already improved. 

I am glad the team is NOT putting a lot of stock in Cain. If he plays well its a bonus 

The WR class will be

-Hilton

-Cain

-Funchess

-Rogers/Pascal depending on the matchup

-rookie

If the Colts sign Inman then he will push Rogers/Pascal down.  Personally I think Inman is better than Funchess but like others have mentioned, they did not pay him 10 mil to be the 4th WR.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think you are going to see a draft pick in that spot. We also have Johnson and fountain.  Unless one of the studs falls to us at 26. We are getting kind of full st WR. I could see Inman coming back for that 3rd spot and easing Cain back in. Let the others fight it out.

Hopefully  we do as I don't  have much faith  in current receivers others than hilton. Harmon would be a nice pickup. He'd move the chains, make contested catches, and be great in redzone