Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected WRs

AwesomeAustin

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If that rookie is Hakeem Butler... yeah I gotta think so. 

If we take a WR with one of the first two or three picks, I'd absolutely put them in front of both Cain and Funchess. Not because I think Cain sucks, it's just going to be hard coming back from injury at the same time he is trying to build first year chemistry with Luck. Funchess on the other hand, got passed up last year by 200+ yards by a rookie (DJ Moore) from the draft who displaced him as WR1.

Cain I think will come on late in the season, and will be 100 next year. Funchess is a wildcard based on if we draft a WR early, Cain's progress, if Reich diverts targets from Ebron to Funchess, and a lot of other factors. 

19 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

well if you've watched them both (I see a lot of the Panthers down here in the South unfortunately), then you know. he's exactly what he was in college. huge drop problem, and not dynamic. and here's a look at advanced stats since both have been playing......

Metric / Ebron Ranking / Funchess Ranking

Air Yards / 3 / 39

YAfterCatch / 14 / 113

YPerRec / 16 / 62

YPerTarget / 25 / 81

TotalTargetDist  / 3 / 41

AvTargetDist / 6 / 36

Catch Rate / 34 / 84

Cushion / 3 / 88

TargetSeparation / 10 / 91

Funchess should improve with Luck, but he's got a long way to go to be playing at the comparative level of Ebron. HUGE disparity in advanced stats from a position perspective. At 25-30lbs heavier, Ebron is playing at elite level for a TE. Funchess is outside of the top 50 in production and most advanced stats at WR.

YAC, Cushion, Separation is a pretty big indicator of athleticism.... no?

I never said funchess was a great athletes, just a better athlete than a TE who has 20 lbs on him.

16 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If we take a WR with one of the first two or three picks, I'd absolutely put them in front of both Cain and Funchess. Not because I think Cain sucks, it's just going to be hard coming back from injury at the same time he is trying to build first year chemistry with Luck. Funchess on the other hand, got passed up last year by 200+ yards by a rookie (DJ Moore) from the draft who displaced him as WR1.

Cain I think will come on late in the season, and will be 100 next year. Funchess is a wildcard based on if we draft a WR early, Cain's progress, if Reich diverts targets from Ebron to Funchess, and a lot of other factors. 

Considering how early on they went out & grabbed Funchess, I'd say Frank Reich has a very specific plan on how he wants to use him. They gave him a $10mil deal without hesitation on day 1 of the legal tampering period, so that's indicative that they like something specific about what he brings to the table, so I'm intrigued by that signing.

As for Deon Cain, I agree 100%. I feel like they're going to ease him into things very gradually, so I don't have any expectations for him early on.

27 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I never said funchess was a great athletes, just a better athlete than a TE who has 20 lbs on him.

Ebron was thought of as great athlete (not freak status, but great) coming into the league, and his advanced stats all say he gets great separation, cushion, and YAC (which are all key attributes of a great athlete). Funchess meanwhile ranks outside of the top 50 in those same stats. The fact Ebron has 25+lbs on Funchess even strengthens that point. 

19 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Considering how early on they went out & grabbed Funchess, I'd say Frank Reich has a very specific plan on how he wants to use him. They gave him a $10mil deal without hesitation on day 1 of the legal tampering period, so that's indicative that they like something specific about what he brings to the table, so I'm intrigued by that signing.

As for Deon Cain, I agree 100%. I feel like they're going to ease him into things very gradually, so I don't have any expectations for him early on.

I have no doubt Ballard/Reich have a plan. I'd bet though that part of that plan is to also take a WR in the draft that they consider the long term option, in the larger plan.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funchess will be the number two unless he totally sucks. Which I doubt that is going to happen. He is going to create a lot of mismatches for defenses and TY won’t be doubled team. I expect him to have a very good year without him even playing yet. Luck is going to have a ton of fun having such a big receiver. 

He's not going to do much helping keep double coverage off TY IMO. He's not a stretch the field guy. He's an intermediate guy that does best vs CBs and LBs on the perimeter and across the middle. Between the 20s, FSs will still key on TY. Of course offensive game plans will vary by opponent, but regardless, you won't see him running 20+ yard routes a bunch simply because he doesn't get a lot of separation/cushion. In the RZ, he'll be a big target without a doubt. But we already have Ebron doing that. TY/Ebron/Funchess sets will be fun when we are RZ. 

If you've like stats and stuff. Take a look at https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/ . You can actually search on WRs (and others), and see all of their route trees per game and over the course of a year. Here's DF's for 2018 https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/devin-funchess/FUN405541/season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

With his $$$, i put the early odds on a WR before rd 4 at less than 3%.
Just using common sense. 

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

With his $$$, i put the early odds on a WR before rd 4 at less than 3%.
Just using common sense. 

IDK. As other's have harped on, he's on a 1 year deal, with a team that could afford $$ short term. I peg him a situational and depth player, not a true WR2. Not sure Ballard is going to bank on a 1 year guy, or an unproven Cain coming back from injury, to be the long term answer when he knows it takes a year typically to develop a WR. I can still see him going a WR in the first 3 or 4 picks.

Ballard could also go with a guy like Miles Boykin (who might be available in the later rounds) who is very similar body type / function, is faster, and has a much better catch rate. Even Boykin to me isn't the answer as a WR2. We need another guy who can stretch the D. I do think Boykin would be a very solid (and cheaper) situational/depth player than Funchess. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because he is not on the team at this point.

Dang, when did that happen? Google his name and he's still listed as a Colts player. He's a free agent though and we didn't offer a contract extensions then? I thought he wanted to retire a Colt, maybe I heard wrong though. Why we would not offer a contract, he played great for us.

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Dang, when did that happen? Google his name and he's still listed as a Colts player. He's a free agent though and we didn't offer a contract extensions then? I thought he wanted to retire a Colt, maybe I heard wrong though. Why we would not offer a contract, he played great for us.

I think they are in negotiations but nothing yet.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Hoose said:

How about this:

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Inman

4. Parris Campbell

5. Rogers

6. Cain

They pick Campbell in the draft, re-sign Inman after he finds out the market ain't very good, and keep Cain and Rogers. Fountain and Pascal to the Practice Squad. Goodbye to everyone else. 

Someone mentioned nobody bringing up Inman in this thread? Here you go. Along with the next member of the Colts' WR corps, Parris Campbell, pick #34 in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here ya go.....

Hilton, Funchess,  draft pick,  Inman,  Cain.  

That's 5.    There's room for a 6th if we want one.       But on May 1,  post draft,   I hope this is what we have.  

I am all for bringing back Inman so agree with your Post, how about Rogers too?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am all for bringing back Inman so agree with your Post, how about Rogers too?

I'd bet they are negotiating, and probably low balling Inman in a long term contract. 

Rogers was tendered today. Nobody is going to give a second for him, so he'll be here. He had his best year last year, with a pretty good catch %. Not excited about him, but he'll be the primary slot guy to start. 

• Like 1

Just now, Irish YJ said:

I'd bet they are negotiating, and probably low balling Inman in a long term contract. 

Rogers was tendered today. Nobody is going to give a second for him, so he'll be here. He had his best year last year, with a pretty good catch %. Not excited about him, but he'll be the primary slot guy to start. 

Yeah I like Rogers but obviously he isn't in the good, very good, great category. I think he is above average though, better than average. I like Inman a tad better.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Hoose said:

How about this:

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Inman

4. Parris Campbell

5. Rogers

6. Cain

They pick Campbell in the draft, re-sign Inman after he finds out the market ain't very good, and keep Cain and Rogers. Fountain and Pascal to the Practice Squad. Goodbye to everyone else. 

I've been putting together my annual "My Guys" list, and started testing out mock drafts compared to the Draftek rankings.  My first pass had me drafting both AJ Brown at 26 and Parris Campbell at 59.  A little crazy, I know.

But, still, how about this?

1. T.Y. Hilton

2. Dontrell Inman

3. Devin Funchess

4. A.J. Brown

5. Deon Cain

6. Parris Campbell

7. Chester Rogers

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 11:34 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Have to remember we have a lot of targets. Plus three pretty good running backs. Yes it woul d hurt if TY missed that many games but we would be ok. Our offense isn’t just TY.

You forget that even with TY we got curbstomped by the Chiefs defense (yeah, those guys) in the playoffs. There's gotta be a spark somewhere, and maybe Funchess, and hopefully an addition in the draft, are it.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I like Rogers but obviously he isn't in the good, very good, great category. I think he is above average though, better than average. I like Inman a tad better.

Both Rogers and Inman, to me, are journeymen type players. Probably won't be, or shouldn't be WR2 guys, but can be solid depth and situational.

Inman did have a solid year when he was inserted later in the year. Rogers had his best year yet. To Roger's defense, he was hampered by injuries in 17, that slowed his development a bit. Still, though, neither Inman or Rogers has a high ceiling IMO. If they are Colts, I'll love them. TBH, I like Inman as much as Funchess from a performance perspective, and I like Inman a lot more than Funchess from a value/$$ perspective.

Regardless, I still pray we go out and get a WR early in the draft. We desperately need a fast 6-1 to 6-3 guy that can stretch Ds in the WR2 spot. And while I love TY, he's undersized. When his speed starts to go, he'll be very limited when it comes to stretching Ds. Not sure we can rely on Cain just yet to be that guy. I really hope he recovers his health and his speed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Both Rogers and Inman, to me, are journeymen type players. Probably won't be, or shouldn't be WR2 guys, but can be solid depth and situational.

Inman did have a solid year when he was inserted later in the year. Rogers had his best year yet. To Roger's defense, he was hampered by injuries in 17, that slowed his development a bit. Still, though, neither Inman or Rogers has a high ceiling IMO. If they are Colts, I'll love them. TBH, I like Inman as much as Funchess from a performance perspective, and I like Inman a lot more than Funchess from a value/$$ perspective.

Regardless, I still pray we go out and get a WR early in the draft. We desperately need a fast 6-1 to 6-3 guy that can stretch Ds in the WR2 spot. And while I love TY, he's undersized. When his speed starts to go, he'll be very limited when it comes to stretching Ds. Not sure we can rely on Cain just yet to be that guy. I really hope he recovers his health and his speed. 

This is where I trust Ballard = the draft and he has plenty of picks.

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is where I trust Ballard = the draft and he has plenty of picks.

IDK. My fear is that Ballard will roll the dice thinking Cain will be back to 100% health and speed, and doesn't take a WR in the top 3 picks. If we don't have that speed guy on the outside, we'll be one dimensional again when we play teams like KC and have to score a bunch. 

The Colts run 1-1-3 (1RB+1TE+3WR) sets 70% of the time, 1-2-2 sets 18%, and 1-3-1 sets 7% of the time. With Doyle getting healthy, I could see more 1-2-2 sets, and I could also see more 2-1-2 sets with Hines getting more pass targets. Hines has wheels, and I'd love to see him get some go-routes (I know I'm probably dreaming) as LBs and Ss would struggle keeping up with him.

I could see folks moving around WR positions as the year goes on, and guys develop. In the traditional 1-1-3 sets, I think it plays out like the below.

Start of year

WR1 Hitlon (Played 16% of his snaps at slot last year) / Cain

WR2 Funchess / Inman (30% slot snaps last year) / Pascal (30% slot last year)

WR3 (slot) Rogers (84% slot snaps last year) / Funchess (~15% slot snaps last year)

Middle of year

WR1 Hilton

WR2 Cain / Inman or Funchess / Pascal

WR3 (slot) Rogers or Funhcess

A high draft pick (first three rounds) could change all the above. Cain not being 100% could change things too.

21 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IDK. My fear is that Ballard will roll the dice thinking Cain will be back to 100% health and speed, and doesn't take a WR in the top 3 picks. If we don't have that speed guy on the outside, we'll be one dimensional again when we play teams like KC and have to score a bunch. 

The Colts run 1-1-3 (1RB+1TE+3WR) sets 70% of the time, 1-2-2 sets 18%, and 1-3-1 sets 7% of the time. With Doyle getting healthy, I could see more 1-2-2 sets, and I could also see more 2-1-2 sets with Hines getting more pass targets. Hines has wheels, and I'd love to see him get some go-routes (I know I'm probably dreaming) as LBs and Ss would struggle keeping up with him.

I could see folks moving around WR positions as the year goes on, and guys develop. In the traditional 1-1-3 sets, I think it plays out like the below.

Start of year

WR3 (slot) Rogers (84% slot snaps last year) / Funchess (~15% slot snaps last year)

Middle of year

WR1 Hilton

A high draft pick (first three rounds) could change all the above. Cain not being 100% could change things too.

I would be shocked if we didn't take a WR in the 1st 3 rounds. I think in Round 1 we go defense, after that not sure.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be shocked if we didn't take a WR in the 1st 3 rounds. I think in Round 1 we go defense, after that not sure.

i'd be stoked if we used our second pick. There are several that should be available that could make an immediate impact to the WR2 position. I'm just hoping for fast 6-1 to 6-3 guys. I'd even take a fast 5-11 guy if he can stretch and has great hands lol. 

by most draft boards, only 3-4 WRs should be gone by our 2nd pick. and another 3ish gone by our 3rd in the bottom of the 2nd round. 

i'm perfectly fine with Edge or IDL as the first pick. Even the first two. If they draft a safety with one of their first 3 picks, i'll be very sad lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i doubt he will get a long deal at age 30. i think that usually only happens for star players or QBs

i could see a three year, or even 4 year deal on the cheap. after his comments about wanting to retire a Colt, i can see him taking a Colt's friendly contract. just don't guarantee the last two years if it's 4 year deal. if the deal allows for release without $$, it's a no brainer if on the cheap. he's a great locker room guy, that will be solid depth at the right price.

Maybe Funchess will improve by a significant margin by having a proper QB throwing his way, rather than lining up behind a glorified running back. I trust Ballard more than a few combine reports and some potentially irrelevant statistics. It's as if no player has ever improved after moving to a different team.....

• Like 2

We have Fountain Johnson and Cain already on the roster. They are 6’1+ and over 200lbs. They are athletic guys capable of stretching defenses. All three run a 4.46 40 or faster. Johnson is the fastest clocking  a 4.37 40.

Those 3 guys plus Pascal and Ishmael should take steps forward in their development this year. Then we probably add another draft pick. The  board can be quick to move on from young players but I think the coaches we have now will be more successful developing talent. History has shown that it’s the rare WR that doesn’t need time to adjust to Sunday ball. 

Thats a lot of young talent at WR for our coaches to work with. Fountain is the kid I was high on last year and I think he might steal the show this summer.  The kid was raw coming from a small school when we drafted him. He is 6’1  and 210lbs runs a 4.46 40 and he would have had the top vert and broad jump at last years combine. After a year with our staff I think we start to see what he can do. 

35 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We have Fountain Johnson and Cain already on the roster. They are 6’1+ and over 200lbs. They are athletic guys capable of stretching defenses. All three run a 4.46 40 or faster. Johnson is the fastest clocking  a 4.37 40.

Those 3 guys plus Pascal and Ishmael should take steps forward in their development this year. Then we probably add another draft pick. The  board can be quick to move on from young players but I think the coaches we have now will be more successful developing talent. History has shown that it’s the rare WR that doesn’t need time to adjust to Sunday ball. 

Thats a lot of young talent at WR for our coaches to work with. Fountain is the kid I was high on last year and I think he might steal the show this summer.  The kid was raw coming from a small school when we drafted him. He is 6’1  and 210lbs runs a 4.46 40 and he would have had the top vert and broad jump at last years combine. After a year with our staff I think we start to see what he can do. 

I think we all agree that it takes time to develop. Not sure though that we should lofty expectations for some of these guys. 

Cain is likely the highest upside. Played against great competition, had good stats, great size and speed. 

Fountain, medium to unknown upside. Had good stats against lower comp. Good vert and speed. He's probably the biggest wildcard of the bunch. Could be great, could end up back on the practice squad. 

Johnson played against good comp, but didn't have great numbers at TX. Good speed, but has a serious injury bug over his NFL years. Given his lack of production in college, I just struggle to think he's going be special on the next level even if healthy.

Pascal, another guy who played vs lower comp, but good numbers. OK speed. Didn't find a home really in 2017 and ended up with the Colts. Came on last year in a few games, but was sporadic. Played very well both times vs Houston. Needs to improve his catch rate %. 

Ismael had big numbers at Cuse with a good QB. Decent size and OK speed. He's interesting to me, but another one I think may end up on the practice squad. 

In short, I think if Cain get's healthy and his speed back, he has B+ level upside and C+ level floor. Fountain B+ up, C- down. Johnson C+ up, D- down. Pascal B up, C down. Ishmael B- up, D+ down. We should learn a lot more about Cain, Fountain, and Pascal early on if all are healthy.

Realistically, the odds say we probably will get a starter out of the bunch, and some good depth/situational players. Still need an A up, B down WR in the draft IMO. We need at least B+ guys at both WR1 and 2 spots. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Start of year

Middle of year

WR1 Hilton

You have trashed the signing of Funchess to the extreme with mini novels in every thread he is mentioned.

I think it's going to be funny when Funchess earns his money.

I've said several times that I hope he turns out to be a rock star, and I'll be cheering hard for him. So, I truly hope it's "funny" for you.

Citing stats, facts, etc., and using that to be critical of the value/$$, is something that just about every pro in the media has echoed. Sorry, but I'm not a guy that's going to pump sunshine for every player that has obvious holes or concerns in their resume.

If I turn out to be right in my prediction above, or if Funchess doesn't produce top 20 yards, I won't think it's funny for you. I'll be disappointed he didn't do better for the Colts.

Also note that I have an OR under slot. So I'm saying he could end up the long term starter at slot, or at least get 50% of the snaps there.

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Realistically, the odds say we probably will get a starter out Joiuuiof the bunch, and some good depth/situational players. Still need an A up, B down WR in the draft IMO. We need at least B+ guys at both WR1 and 2 spots. 

We are going to start Hilton and Funchess . If TY misses time here or there Funchess can hold down the WR1 in a pinch. Chester will be back his history with Luck and PR skills give him an inside track to a roster. Those are our top 3 WR’s right now.

We have a lot of  young guys fighting for a chances. Pascal Fountain Cain Johnson Ishmael and Hogan are all young talented guys. Unlike years past I am interested to see the strides these young guys have made with coaching. I feel like these coaches can/will develop players and I’m hoping to see it.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Inman. There is no question he gave us a spark last year but he’s 30 heading into the season. Is he part of the future? Do we want him taking reps from our younger players? Guys can’t grow without playing. We are growing our own. 

Will we add to the group via the draft? I don’t think that’s a given not early in the draft at least. There are a few guys I’d like to get but I think we like the young guys we have. Could we see another FA signing? I think that’s less likely but anything is possible. CB will keep churning this group with the necessary patience. 

56 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We are going to start Hilton and Funchess . If TY misses time here or there Funchess can hold down the WR1 in a pinch. Chester will be back his history with Luck and PR skills give him an inside track to a roster. Those are our top 3 WR’s right now.

We have a lot of  young guys fighting for a chances. Pascal Fountain Cain Johnson Ishmael and Hogan are all young talented guys. Unlike years past I am interested to see the strides these young guys have made with coaching. I feel like these coaches can/will develop players and I’m hoping to see it.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Inman. There is no question he gave us a spark last year but he’s 30 heading into the season. Is he part of the future? Do we want him taking reps from our younger players? Guys can’t grow without playing. We are growing our own. 

Will we add to the group via the draft? I don’t think that’s a given not early in the draft at least. There are a few guys I’d like to get but I think we like the young guys we have. Could we see another FA signing? I think that’s less likely but anything is possible. CB will keep churning this group with the necessary patience. 

IMO, if we don't add, we're rolling the dice in a major way. Compare our combined WR production rating with any top 10 O. Our WR unit ranks worst by a wide margin. And all we've done this far is is add the 81st WR to our team. Not saying Funchess will fail, and certainly not cheering for him to suck, but it would be rolling the dice.