Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Projected WRs

AwesomeAustin

I am very positive about the Funchess signing.  I thought we over paid for Ebron last year and I was wrong in so many ways.  If Ballard and Reich see enough in Funchess to pay him a $10mil base, I will trust the process.  He is a big bodied receiver this board had been wanting for awhile.  I feel he will be a great target for 3rd down and in the red zone. 

1. Hilton

2. Funchess

3. Draft pick or I hope Innman

4. Rogers

5. Cain

6. Battle between several players which is great.  

3rd spot is wide open and a work in progress. Ebron acts as a 3rd receiver a lot so hopefully the size of him and Funchess will force defenses into mismatches often. This is shaping up to be a very good group of receivers. Remember, Luck threw 39 TDS to a revolving group of receivers...it’s already improved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I am very positive about the Funchess signing.  I thought we over paid for Ebron last year and I was wrong in so many ways.  If Ballard and Reich see enough in Funchess to pay him a $10mil base, I will trust the process.  He is a big bodied receiver this board had been wanting for awhile.  I feel he will be a great target for 3rd down and in the red zone. 

1. Hilton

2. Funchess

4. Rogers

5. Cain

3rd spot is wide open and a work in progress. Ebron acts as a 3rd receiver a lot so hopefully the size of him and Funchess will force defenses into mismatches often. This is shaping up to be a very good group of receivers. Remember, Luck threw 39 TDS to a revolving group of receivers...it’s already improved. 

I really think that #2 spot will belong to Cain. Yes he still has a lot to prove but don’t count the young man out he will bounce back with a vengeance.

• Like 1

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

I really think that #2 spot will belong to Cain. Yes he still has a lot to prove but don’t count the young man out he will bounce back with a vengeance.

I have high hopes for Cain also. However he is a rookie coming off a knee injury. WR is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL. He will need to keep learning but I can see him cracking the top 4 or possibly 3 if there is an injury by the end of the season. He will also need to stay healthy himself.  

There will be crazy competition in camp at WR.

1. TY

2. Funchess

3. Rookie/Inman

4.-8.Rogers/Cain/Fountain/Ismael/Johnson

Whoever else we may scoop.

I could still see us throw out a $6-$8m towards Cole Beasley.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

There will be crazy competition in camp at WR.

1. TY

2. Funchess

3. Rookie/Inman

4.-8.Rogers/Cain/Fountain/Ismael/Johnson

Whoever else we may scoop.

I could still see us throw out a $6-$8m towards Cole Beasley.

TY, Funchess and Beasley would be a great trio on paper. I would be on board with that despite how much I like Innman. 

Issue is, this is just on paper. What if TY has to miss 4 games, where do we sit? 

I think there's a lot to be happy about, but I would like Ballard to draft another one. 

After TY, between Funchess, Cain, maybe Inman coming back are pretty solid depth but none have proven capable of being a go to guy really (doesn't mean they won't moving forward). 

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

Issue is, this is just on paper. What if TY has to miss 4 games, where do we sit? 

I think there's a lot to be happy about, but I would like Ballard to draft another one. 

After TY, between Funchess, Cain, maybe Inman coming back are pretty solid depth but none have proven capable of being a go to guy really (doesn't mean they won't moving forward). 

Have to remember we have a lot of targets. Plus three pretty good running backs. Yes it woul d hurt if TY missed that many games but we would be ok. Our offense isn’t just TY.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Start of Season Depth

WR1 Hilton / Rogers / Fountain / Cain

WR2 Inman or Pascal / Funchess / DRAFT 

Mid Season

WR1 Hilton / Cain / Fountain / Rogers

WR2 DRAFT / Inman or Pascal / Funchess

I'm assuming we bring back either Inman or Pascal.

Is pascal a FA. I think he is already under contract.

48 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Start of Season Depth

WR1 Hilton / Rogers / Fountain / Cain

WR2 Inman or Pascal / Funchess / DRAFT 

Mid Season

WR1 Hilton / Cain / Fountain / Rogers

WR2 DRAFT / Inman or Pascal / Funchess

I'm assuming we bring back either Inman or Pascal.

I take it you aren’t a fan of the Funchess signing?

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone forgets how it takes a receiver awhile to learn the nfl. Fountain could come in and certainly win a spot.

Yes I see a draft pick being penciled in as our #2 in numerous post. I would bet there were fewer than a half dozen rookie WR’s who topped 500 yards receiving last season. It’s being extremely optimistic to project a rookie as a starter. 

We have a nice group of young talented guys that our coaches are developing. Pascal Fountain Cain and Ishmael we be in year 2 in the league. We should see these players take steps maybe a jump forward. Johnson will be in his 3rd year the second with us and Rogers year 4. 

This group plus a draft pick not necessarily an early one is the future of our WR room. WR is a position it takes a minute to see what you have. Year 3 is often the break out year. It’s not crazy to expect improvement from yr 1 to yr 2. 

I didn’t expect a big splash in FA at any position. It will be interesting to see how Funchess fits in. He’s a big target that we think can make the team better. CB and company have earned the  of doubt IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I take it you aren’t a fan of the Funchess signing?

no. overpaid. top 20 pay for being the 81st WR in YPG... outside of the top 50 in all advanced stats. poor catch rate, not as athletic as Ebron who is 20+Lbs heavier. the biggest thing though, is he just doesn't fill the WR2 need (someone that can extend the D, and take double coverage pressure off TY). 

• Like 2

How many we keep?  idk.  But I guess we come out of preseason thusly:

1) Hilton

2) Funchess

3) Draft slot man (Samuel?)

4) Rogers

5) Fountain

6) Cain

7) Pascal

To me, Rogers showed some reliability in the second half of the season.  Wouldn’t have pulled out that NYG game without him.  I think Fountain is a very hard worker and expect him to be farther along than Cain at this point (not that it’s Cain’s fault).  I can only imagine that Ballard is going to covet YAC slot men in the draft, since Fountain, Cain, and Pascal are all outside kind of guys...

17 hours ago, Archer said:

I fell in love with Fountain during the pre-draft process last year.  I think he might have a leg up on a Cain returning from major surgery...for this year, at least.

Fountain doesn't have a leg up on anyone.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

no. overpaid. top 20 pay for being the 81st WR in YPG... outside of the top 50 in all advanced stats. poor catch rate, not as athletic as Ebron who is 20+Lbs heavier. the biggest thing though, is he just doesn't fill the WR2 need (someone that can extend the D, and take double coverage pressure off TY). 

Funchess is more athletic than Ebron

• Like 1

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Rogers + punt returner

4. Pascal + kick returner

5. Johnson 

6. Cain

7. Fountain

8. Ishmael

9. Hogan

10. Wright

11. Veasy

Draft pick(s)

UDFA's

The depth chart looks relatively the same as last year (trading Grant for Funchess) except everyone has one more year of experience in the system. Should be an interesting training camp battle between Cain, Pascal, Fountain, Johnson, Ishmael and Rogers for those 3rd thru 6th slots.

19 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

1. Hilton

2. Funchess

4. Rogers

5. Cain

How do you leave Pascal off? He's our 2nd best receiver right now based on who is signed.  Funchess is probably third, though he had the same number of catches as Rogers did, so we'll see.  I know they WANT him to be #2, but as of now I have more confidence in the developing Pascal's potential, whereas we have 4 full years of Funchess to compare him to.  Would you trust our season to Funchess on third and 10 and TY double teamed and Ebron having to help block a furious pass rush? I wouldn't.  I might like him on 3rd and 30... I will give you that.  

How about this:

1. T.Y.

2. Funchess

3. Inman

4. Parris Campbell

5. Rogers

6. Cain

They pick Campbell in the draft, re-sign Inman after he finds out the market ain't very good, and keep Cain and Rogers. Fountain and Pascal to the Practice Squad. Goodbye to everyone else. 

• Like 1

Why is everyone Ok to add a WR in the draft when we already did that last yr?   We have Caine he is like a free draft pick this yr because he never played last yr.   Yes he has to prove himself but not anymore or less than drafting a WR.   

I really don't get the thinking on here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

Why is everyone Ok to add a WR in the draft when we already did that last yr?   We have Caine he is like a free draft pick this yr because he never played last yr.   Yes he has to prove himself but not anymore or less than drafting a WR.   

I really don't get the thinking on here

Fountain could surprise also. We have two guys we drafted last year. Would rather draft a bigger need and see how these two guys develop.

• Thanks 1

Fountain looked miles away from being a #5 WR on my TV. Pascal, Cain, Johnson, Inman, KJ Brent and others looked more skilled and polished in 2018. I'm struggling to see how others see him leaping over these players, and a potential 2019 draft pick, to earn a roster spot. I'd be fine eating some crow on this, but I'm feeling pretty safe as of today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Funchess is more athletic than Ebron

sorry, disagree. within their position groups, Ebron is absolutely more athletic. And the fact that Ebron is 25-30 pounds heavier, speaks volumes. 

And sorry, not buying UM's pro Day. Grading them out Ebron was a 6.4 (that's close to "potential NFL PB" vs Funchess 5.64 "potential NFL starter". That's a pretty decent gap in ratings.  Ebron was THE top performer at his position group in both the 40 and broad jump. Funchess has a decent vertical, but that in no way translates into ability to high point balls. I've watched both (Funchess all the way back to UM days), and Ebron is much closer to "Freak Status". Not saying he's a bonafide freak athlete, but much closer than Funchess.

Below are NFL.com's scouting report on both.

From NFL.com, who said he was a "stock down" losers at the combine.

Michigan WR Devin Funchess: He started his Michigan career as a tight end and moved to wide receiver this season. But he clocked just 4.7 in the 40 Saturday, which was disappointing. He remains a matchup problem because of his size (6-4 1/4, 232), but those expecting a 40 time in the high 4.5s/low 4.6s left shaking their heads. A wide receiver running a 4.7, no matter how tall, is disconcerting.

Here's from DF's draft profile

Pass-catching is labored. Allows throws into his frame and catches back half of football at times. Tagged with 20 drops over last three seasons. Isn't a lock to high-point a throw and doesn't attack throws. Won't win enough 50/50 throws.  Tends to show monotone, one-note play speed. Hard to find a second gear on tape. Gears down into cuts and slow to accelerate out of breaks.

BOTTOM LINE

Has mismatch-caliber size, but lack of vertical talent and below-average hands might negate the size to an extent. Funchess was used outside and inside at Michigan and had success from the slot. He has the feel of a hybrid player who can be a big guy at wide receiver or a mismatch nightmare as a move tight end with more weight on his rangy frame.

vs Ebron's combine reports.

Outstanding athletic ability and receiving skills. Threatens every level. Advanced route runner. Releases cleanly and accelerates into patterns. Pierces the seam and is a mismatch vs. man coverage -- regularly bested defensive backs. Terrific balance, agility and body control. Catches cleanly off his frame. Makes one-handed grabs look routine. Big catch radius. Catches on the move and has an extra gear to pile up yards. Had 875 yards receiving as a junior, breaking Vernon Davis' ACC record. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.

BOTTOM LINE

Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end dripping with upside and mismatch capability. Ebron might not be in the "freak" category, but his speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skill puts him in the next tier, as he has ample ability to be a playmaker at the next level.

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

How do you leave Pascal off? He's our 2nd best receiver right now based on who is signed.  Funchess is probably third, though he had the same number of catches as Rogers did, so we'll see.  I know they WANT him to be #2, but as of now I have more confidence in the developing Pascal's potential, whereas we have 4 full years of Funchess to compare him to.  Would you trust our season to Funchess on third and 10 and TY double teamed and Ebron having to help block a furious pass rush? I wouldn't.  I might like him on 3rd and 30... I will give you that.  

As of right now I would put Pascal at 5th or 6th. Depends on how Cain comes back. I believe Rogers is still ahead of Pascal bc of experience and ability to return kicks but that could change this offseason.

I shouldn’t have put #3 the way it is bc it is pure speculation and I really want them to resign Inman.  I don’t think anyone on our roster can adequately fill the #3 wr role at this moment.  I hope Ballard upgrades it but he has brought a lot of players in so see it being done by committee until someone separates from the others.  It could definitely be Pascal but I doubt it. He is on his third team and is merely injury depth in my eyes. I hope I am wrong. 

32 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

sorry, disagree. within their position groups, Ebron is absolutely more athletic. And the fact that Ebron is 25-30 pounds heavier, speaks volumes. 

And sorry, not buying UM's pro Day. Grading them out Ebron was a 6.4 (that's close to "potential NFL PB" vs Funchess 5.64 "potential NFL starter". That's a pretty decent gap in ratings.  Ebron was THE top performer at his position group in both the 40 and broad jump. Funchess has a decent vertical, but that in no way translates into ability to high point balls. I've watched both (Funchess all the way back to UM days), and Ebron is much closer to "Freak Status". Not saying he's a bonafide freak athlete, but much closer than Funchess.

Below are NFL.com's scouting report on both.

From NFL.com, who said he was a "stock down" losers at the combine.

Michigan WR Devin Funchess: He started his Michigan career as a tight end and moved to wide receiver this season. But he clocked just 4.7 in the 40 Saturday, which was disappointing. He remains a matchup problem because of his size (6-4 1/4, 232), but those expecting a 40 time in the high 4.5s/low 4.6s left shaking their heads. A wide receiver running a 4.7, no matter how tall, is disconcerting.

Here's from DF's draft profile

Pass-catching is labored. Allows throws into his frame and catches back half of football at times. Tagged with 20 drops over last three seasons. Isn't a lock to high-point a throw and doesn't attack throws. Won't win enough 50/50 throws.  Tends to show monotone, one-note play speed. Hard to find a second gear on tape. Gears down into cuts and slow to accelerate out of breaks.

BOTTOM LINE

Has mismatch-caliber size, but lack of vertical talent and below-average hands might negate the size to an extent. Funchess was used outside and inside at Michigan and had success from the slot. He has the feel of a hybrid player who can be a big guy at wide receiver or a mismatch nightmare as a move tight end with more weight on his rangy frame.

vs Ebron's combine reports.

Outstanding athletic ability and receiving skills. Threatens every level. Advanced route runner. Releases cleanly and accelerates into patterns. Pierces the seam and is a mismatch vs. man coverage -- regularly bested defensive backs. Terrific balance, agility and body control. Catches cleanly off his frame. Makes one-handed grabs look routine. Big catch radius. Catches on the move and has an extra gear to pile up yards. Had 875 yards receiving as a junior, breaking Vernon Davis' ACC record. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.

BOTTOM LINE

Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end dripping with upside and mismatch capability. Ebron might not be in the "freak" category, but his speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skill puts him in the next tier, as he has ample ability to be a playmaker at the next level.

I don't need old combine reports to tell me....I have seen them both play in the NFL.  If we went strictly by old combine numbers and college scouting reports Coby fleener is a freak athlete, but we all know he isn't.

58 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't need old combine reports to tell me....I have seen them both play in the NFL.  If we went strictly by old combine numbers and college scouting reports Coby fleener is a freak athlete, but we all know he isn't.

well if you've watched them both (I see a lot of the Panthers down here in the South unfortunately), then you know. he's exactly what he was in college. huge drop problem, and not dynamic. and here's a look at advanced stats since both have been playing......

Metric / Ebron Ranking / Funchess Ranking

Air Yards / 3 / 39

YAfterCatch / 14 / 113

YPerRec / 16 / 62

YPerTarget / 25 / 81

TotalTargetDist  / 3 / 41

AvTargetDist / 6 / 36

Catch Rate / 34 / 84

Cushion / 3 / 88

TargetSeparation / 10 / 91

Funchess should improve with Luck, but he's got a long way to go to be playing at the comparative level of Ebron. HUGE disparity in advanced stats from a position perspective. At 25-30lbs heavier, Ebron is playing at elite level for a TE. Funchess is outside of the top 50 in production and most advanced stats at WR.

YAC, Cushion, Separation is a pretty big indicator of athleticism.... no?

On 3/11/2019 at 8:45 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

TY, Funchess and Beasley would be a great trio on paper. I would be on board with that despite how much I like Innman. 

God not Beasley.   I  joked to my brother in law if the Colts signed him, I would stop watching the Colts.