Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have tendered several restricted-free agents

MTC

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11/colts-tender-chester-rogers-at-second-round-level/

Colts tender Chester Rogers at second-round level

...This means that Rogers, if he accepts the tender, will receive a base salary of $3.095 million this year. He otherwise can wait for an offer sheet from another team. If he signs an offer sheet and if the Colts choose not to match it , the Colts will receive the new team’s second-round pick as compensation.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I like the Boem and Farley signs.

And i've had a soft spot for Chester since day 1.  Love the kid.

I was a Farley hater until I got to see him full time.

Boem....ehhhhhh

Chester...c'mon man have that breakout season we've all been hoping for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtStrong said:
  • I'm interested in what Johnson can do. We could be more stacked at receiver than people realize. 

The WR group reminds me of the CB position last off season. I thought we liked what we had then.8  The majority were unhappy with that group many expected a CB early in the draft. When Ballard went with the what we had the board went nuts. Leonard and Smith were reaches Ballard wasted the 2nd round picks etc. Moore was a bum, Q a bust, Desir a journeyman etc That didn’t turn out too bad. 

We may have more talent at WR. It’s young and unproven but I think the coaches have some guys to work with. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go into day 3 without drafting a WR. Myles Boykin day 3 wouldn’t be so bad. 

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

A 2nd round for Rodgers?

Whaaaaat?

This is actually a great idea.  

Here is the thing.  RFA tenders by themselves are not very expensive.  A 2nd round tender is only just a little more expensive (maybe a million) than an original round tender.  The original round tender does nothing to protect him because he's a UDFA.  

For a million dollars more you prevent anyone from giving him an offer sheet that you have to match.

I might have done it with Farley  as well.  

You don't need that with Rhodes because he's a long snapper which is literally the lowest paid position in football.  No one is even going to bother with trying to tender some other team's long snapper.  

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

No one will offer him for a 2nd round pick.  He's solid depth and a good special teams player.  But he's certainly not worth giving up a 2nd round pick for.  

I'm saying that's the whole point.  Knowing that, you lock a player up for another year at a cheaper value than you would ify ou entered into a 1 year deal with him.  It was intentional.  Not because they want a 2nd round pick for Rogers, but because they're avoiding the market and still coming in under what the market value woudl be.  It's like having a half-off coupon that is valid only for you and no one else.  That's just the part that seems lost on everybody else.