Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

Recommended Posts

On 3/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, runthepost said:

Still would of rather had Cole Beasley, Golden Tate over DF. He’s basically an under size tight end playing reciever but he does give us a big body reciever finally

 

Hmmmm?

 

Wonder when the last time it was that Colts had an under sized tight end playng receiver?

 

Hmmmm?

 

Could it have been.......    last year.....   with Eric Ebron?!?       Nahhhh,  that couldn't possibly have been it.     All Ebron did was catch a league leading 13 TD's.     Who'd forget that?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

watching Funch on Fair Game right now. On for the next 20+ minutes if you want to catch it. It will replay at 12:30am tonight if you missed it. 

Thanks for the heads up. It should be up on youtube soon after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fair Game episode with Funch was more or less a little QA first half, and then "Cooking with Funch" second half. 

 

He gave out his shrimp Alfredo recipe lol. 

not too much about him joining the colts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Hmmmm?

 

Wonder when the last time it was that Colts had an under sized tight end playng receiver?

 

Hmmmm?

 

Could it have been.......    last year.....   with Eric Ebron?!?       Nahhhh,  that couldn't possibly have been it.     All Ebron did was catch a league leading 13 TD's.     Who'd forget that?

 

but we already have one Ebron.. 

i think that is kind of his point, he'd rather have another type at WR2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did I not realize DF played in a SB his rookie year.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The Fair Game episode with Funch was more or less a little QA first half, and then "Cooking with Funch" second half. 

 

He gave out his shrimp Alfredo recipe lol. 

not too much about him joining the colts.

I imagine it was taped before he signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

but we already have one Ebron.. 

i think that is kind of his point, he'd rather have another type at WR2

 

There's no law anywhere that says you can only have one of anything.    Whether it's speed, or hands, or route running, or size....

 

Ballard and Reich know what they have.   They know what they plan to do in the draft.   Maybe they're planning for a speed guy in the draft.    Or a possession receiver in the draft.    All sorts of possibilities.

 

And I say all this as someone who isn't a Funchess fan and didn't like the signing.

 

But I'm willing to give DF a year to prove me wrong....   prove all of us wrong....

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

There's no law anywhere that says you can only have one of anything.    Whether it's speed, or hands, or route running, or size....

 

Ballard and Reich know what they have.   They know what they plan to do in the draft.   Maybe they're planning for a speed guy in the draft.    Or a possession receiver in the draft.    All sorts of possibilities.

 

And I say all this as someone who isn't a Funchess fan and didn't like the signing.

 

But I'm willing to give DF a year to prove me wrong....   prove all of us wrong....

 

 

I doubt anyone will be cheering for him to fail. I hope he does so well, he hits his 3M bonus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's no law anywhere that says you can only have one of anything.  

Every state law says you can only have one wife....thank god.  Hahaha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Every state law says you can only have one wife....thank god.  Hahaha

That is one thing that the LDS Church gave up to get Statehood for Utah

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Every state law says you can only have one wife....thank god.  Hahaha

I thought in Utah you could have many wives :sarcasm:. Let me call Karl Malone real quick lmao 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t care about the $$ side of football that much so I don’t get the resentment some of you have concerning this deal, especially since most of his deals have been celebrated league wide.  However, I do care about the proposed PLAN they have for him in the field...yes a plan.  That’s what stuck out for me. Our FO has vision and if they think they can continue (Ebron) to get a player many others think is average or a bust or maybe even below average and develop him into a valuable player, then more power to them.  We will be able to acquire talent Despite picking at the end of the round.  It will put us closer to competing with Darth Bellichik. We’re never going to get a plug and play top shelf LT in the draft unless Ballard finds ways like he is doing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

And I say all this as someone who isn't a Funchess fan and didn't like the signing.

 

 

 

 

Oh Lord.

 

Really, really?

 

You think you know more than Ballard?

 

Here's what Reich says about Funchess:

 

re: Devin Funchess, Reich says he has "good feet, good instincts and good body control and body quickness.... Helps separate at the top of routes.... Watch the way this guy runs routes."

 

I think I value Ballard's & Reich's opinion over yours.

Let's give DV a chance to at least put a Colt uniform and play a game or two. Lol

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was impressed with his fair game interview.  When he signed his rookie contract it was for 5.5 million. He put himself on a 8k month budget. He said he never wanted to be poor again. His girlfriend and him had their first baby late last year. He said all he wants is a SB ring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Oh Lord.

 

Really, really?

 

You think you know more than Ballard?

 

Here's what Reich says about Funchess:

 

re: Devin Funchess, Reich says he has "good feet, good instincts and good body control and body quickness.... Helps separate at the top of routes.... Watch the way this guy runs routes."

 

I think I value Ballard's & Reich's opinion over yours.

Let's give DV a chance to at least put a Colt uniform and play a game or two. Lol

 

Swing and a miss!   Nice try.

 

I know what Ballard and Reich have said.   And I have DEFENDED THEM BOTH in countless posts.  I likely did in the part of the post that you conveniently deleted.   I’ve said over and over to posters that I trust Ballard and Reich and hope that the year we gave Funchess proves me wrong.   And the worst that happens if it doesn’t work out is that it’s a one year deal that comes off the books after the 19 season.

 

Ive stated my position to establish credibility.  That even though I disagree with the signing, I  still support Ballard and Reich because they’ve earned it.   I’m speaking to other posters who trashed the signing on Day One and who continue to trash the signing weeks later.

 

And you’d know all this if you simply bothered to read and not look for a sentence you think you can play “gotcha” on.

 

You wasted your time and mine.

 

Congratulations.    :facepalm:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Swing and a miss!   Nice try.

 

I know what Ballard and Reich have said.   And I have DEFENDED THEM BOTH in countless posts.  I likely did in the part of the post that you conveniently deleted.   I’ve said over and over to posters that I trust Ballard and Reich and hope that the year we gave Funchess proves me wrong.   And the worst that happens if it doesn’t work out is that it’s a one year deal that comes off the books after the 19 season.

 

Ive stated my position to establish credibility.  That even though I disagree with the signing, I  still support Ballard and Reich because they’ve earned it.   I’m speaking to other posters who trashed the signing on Day One and who continue to trash the signing weeks later.

 

And you’d know all this if you simply bothered to read and not look for a sentence you think you can play “gotcha” on.

 

You wasted your time and mine.

 

Congratulations.    :facepalm:

When you said "Swing and a miss!" I lost it, it reminded of me of Bob Uecker announcing Baseball :funny:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't care much for this signing at first, but it's growing on me more and more each and every day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a freaky stat:

 

How in the world is that possible? This type of discrepancy must have some underlying reason. This cannot be pure chance. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When you said "Swing and a miss!" I lost it, it reminded of me of Bob Uecker announcing Baseball :funny:

"I've got a seat on the front row!"

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's a freaky stat:

 

How in the world is that possible? This type of discrepancy must have some underlying reason. This cannot be pure chance. 

 

 

I've said a few times his best position would be working out of the slot. He's never got great separation outside in the WR1 or WR2 spot. He does however do better in crossing routes vs LBs and shallow DBs. 

 

Not sure why the huge drop disparity between his outside WR time and his slot snaps. It's well documented that he tries to body catch the ball. Perhaps in the slot, the ball is out in front of him, and he's forced to catch with his hands. 

 

This is why I'm not huge fan of him at WR2. I think he'd be a fantastic option as a possession/slot guy though. It also would help in blocking given where the slot typically lines up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I have read he is a really good blocker. Put TY and Cain or whoever wins that outside slot and funchess in the slot. Then add Ebron and Doyle to the mix. We could be lethal. Mix in the running game with Mack and Hines as our little speedster. We could be loaded. Everyone wanted a slot receiver well maybe Funchess is that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

watched it yesterday. puts cream cheese in his shrimp fettuccine alfredo lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another interesting stat as why funchess might have great success with Luck.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Another interesting stat as why funchess might have great success with Luck.

 

 

I love this. This is the type of thing I expect some of our journalists to do but none of them ever does. It's such a disappointment that we have to wait for the national guys to get interested in what we are doing in order to get some valuable information. Warren Sharp is one of the best and most worthy NFL-related follows on twitter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Another interesting stat as why funchess might have great success with Luck.

 

 

wouldn't put too much into this. there are some huge disconnects too. especially in the TD category. what would make the data much better, is to split out what snaps were out of the slot, and if outside, L or R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

wouldn't put too much into this. there are some huge disconnects too. especially in the TD category. what would make the data much better, is to split out what snaps were out of the slot, and if outside, L or R.

I also wouldn't put too much into the fact that Newton was off target a lot when throwing the football. Take away his short passes threw to McCaffrey and the attention given to Olsen when he is in the game and there wasn't much going on anywhere else on the field. Newton was poor at utilizing what weapons he had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I also wouldn't put too much into the fact that Newton was off target a lot when throwing the football. Take away his short passes threw to McCaffrey and the attention given to Olsen when he is in the game and there wasn't much going on anywhere else on the field. Newton was poor at utilizing what weapons he had.

Newton took a big step forward last year in accuracy.... was it him improving, or having different receivers. 

 

The Panthers drafted a WR (DJ Moore) in the late first round that took over the #1WR spot last year. His catch rate was much better than DF's. And that's a rookie.

 

In short, the WRs catching outside balls from Newton all had higher catch rates. You can't on one hand say Newton sucks throwing everything but short balls, but then not acknowledge that other WRs were catching WR1 and 2 balls at a higher rate than DF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that matters is that Reich and Ballard like him and they are the ones getting paid to mold the team

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the panthers didn’t put him in the right situation to succeed. On top of that the panthers just fell apart the second half of the season. There was a lot going on in that organization including Newton’s bad shoulder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe the panthers didn’t put him in the right situation to succeed. On top of that the panthers just fell apart the second half of the season. There was a lot going on in that organization including Newton’s bad shoulder.

 

I truly hope that Reich figures out a way to get the most out of his talents. He had 4 years there, in multiple positions, and he struggled (with the same things he struggled with in college). Sometimes all that's needed is a fresh start in a new place, with a new QB and coaches. I just can be intellectually dishonest and ignore all the bad. My expectations are tempered, but I'll be happy as a pig in sheet if he turns the corner and balls out this year. Seems like a good kid that's ready to work hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Newton took a big step forward last year in accuracy.... was it him improving, or having different receivers. 

 

The Panthers drafted a WR (DJ Moore) in the late first round that took over the #1WR spot last year. His catch rate was much better than DF's. And that's a rookie.

 

In short, the WRs catching outside balls from Newton all had higher catch rates. You can't on one hand say Newton sucks throwing everything but short balls, but then not acknowledge that other WRs were catching WR1 and 2 balls at a higher rate than DF.

Newton's downfield passing?

2018- 67.9% -7.2 avg- QBR 55.5 -

McCaffery- 107 catches- 8.1 ys avg -867 yds with 6 tds

Moore-55 catches-14.3 avg-788 yds with 2 tds

Funchess- 44 catches-12.5 avg-549 yds with 4 tds

These numbers show that McCaffery had more catches than Moore and Funchess combined.

Newton's average per pass is 7.2 yds

You want to throw numbers out here they are.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Newton's downfield passing?

2018- 67.9% -7.2 avg- QBR 55.5 -

McCaffery- 107 catches- 8.1 ys avg -867 yds with 6 tds

Moore-55 catches-14.3 avg-788 yds with 2 tds

Funchess- 44 catches-12.5 avg-549 yds with 4 tds

These numbers show that McCaffery had more catches than Moore and Funchess combined.

Newton's average per pass is 7.2 yds

You want to throw numbers out here they are.

 

Here some numbers back at ya...

 

Funchess's catch % the last 4 years (starting with year 1) playing WR1 and 2.

49.2 / 39.7 / 56.8 / 55.7 (this is incredibly awful by any NFL rating)

 

DJ Moore's catch rate his rookie season playing WR1..... 67.1... and had more yards his rookie season than Funchess did in his first or second, and last season.  I'm sure you saw that, but chose to show only things that fit your narrative. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Here some numbers back at ya...

 

Funchess's catch % the last 4 years (starting with year 1) playing WR1 and 2.

49.2 / 39.7 / 56.8 / 55.7 (this is incredibly awful by any NFL rating)

 

DJ Moore's catch rate his rookie season playing WR1..... 67.1... and had more yards his rookie season than Funchess did in his first or second, and last season.  I'm sure you saw that, but chose to show only things that fit your narrative. 

 

Back to you- Newton was 7/29 of passes over 21 yards. That is a whopping 24.1 percent.

He had 1 pass over 25 yards completed in the whole year of 2018.

You see, numbers can show anything you want them to show but look at these numbers. You said earlier about how Newton did this and did that but the numbers show he was 27th in the league. Then you look at McCaffery's numbers and it is obvious he was the man while others were just there and didn't have that much of an impact.

My narrative?  What about yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Back to you- Newton was 7/29 of passes over 21 yards. That is a whopping 24.1 percent.

He had 1 pass over 25 yards completed in the whole year of 2018.

You see, numbers can show anything you want them to show but look at these numbers. You said earlier about how Newton did this and did that but the numbers show he was 27th in the league. Then you look at McCaffery's numbers and it is obvious he was the man while others were just there and didn't have that much of an impact.

My narrative?  What about yours?

all you have to do is explain why DF had horrible catch rates at WR1 and 2 positions, while a rookie who averaged more yards per catch, had 10% better catch rate.

 

can you do that?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

all you have to do is explain why DF had horrible catch rates at WR1 and 2 positions, while a rookie who averaged more yards per catch, had 10% better catch rate.

 

can you do that?

 

 

Wow, a whole 10%? 

Your narrative all along has been Funchess was a bad signing and you have been non stop harping on that narrative.

My narrative has always been he is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Then when another poster showed some positive numbers for Funchess out of the slot position you couldn't come up with numbers to dispute that.

What Moore did and didn't do has nothing to do with what Funchess did and didn't do.

You can't judge what the receivers are with a QB that was injured all season and was shut down before the season ended. Cam didn't come close to utilizing his receivers as needed.

The Panthers were 7-9 and did not make the playoffs. The team as a whole did not play well because of Cam's injuries.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, a whole 10%? 

Your narrative all along has been Funchess was a bad signing and you have been non stop harping on that narrative.

My narrative has always been he is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Then when another poster showed some positive numbers for Funchess out of the slot position you couldn't come up with numbers to dispute that.

What Moore did and didn't do has nothing to do with what Funchess did and didn't do.

You can't judge what the receivers are with a QB that was injured all season and was shut down before the season ended. Cam didn't come close to utilizing his receivers as needed.

The Panthers were 7-9 and did not make the playoffs. The team as a whole did not play well because of Cam's injuries.

 

10% is huge in terms of grade. recommend you go look at players catch rates to determine what is good and bad.... 

 

I actually said his best position would be slot... and i said that on more than one occasion. not sure what you are suggesting here. feel free to look back at my posts. 

 

And I can absolutely compare what different WRs do with the same QB. it's common sense, and simple logic. To say it's not is silly and defies comparative logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

10% is huge in terms of grade. recommend you go look at players catch rates to determine what is good and bad.... 

 

I actually said his best position would be slot... and i said that on more than one occasion. not sure what you are suggesting here. feel free to look back at my posts. 

 

And I can absolutely compare what different WRs do with the same QB. it's common sense, and simple logic. To say it's not is silly and defies comparative logic.

You see, you throw out all these numbers to try to prove your point but throw my numbers out because they don't fit your narrative. 

Only time will tell  how Funchess fits in, till then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You see, you throw out all these numbers to try to prove your point but throw my numbers out because they don't fit your narrative. 

Only time will tell  how Funchess fits in, till then we will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm following simple logic without twisting.

My opinion on the value of the signing is also in the majority of what folks graded (poll) and what the talking heads said.

 

If you'd like me to take you're assertions apart piece by piece, I can do that. I've looked at his performance at a game level and have watched him since college. His simple and advanced stats are both concerning. To say they are not is intellectually dishonest. 

 

Again,  I hope the staff uses him in a way to maximize his talents. I'm just not going to sunshine pump and act like he's a no brainer answer to our WR2 need. I'll be cheering for him regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I agree with u.  People on this forum just look at stats.  I have watched the film and he is poor in coverage and gets blown up in running plays.  I think he is to light.  I also think Leonard believes his own hype and   is playing for stats.  Call me crazy.....but would not b surprised if we have 2 lbs ready to take advantage of their opportunities.
    • We shall c We shall c
    • NFL Game Day in Indianapolis is finally here Colts Nation!    Our 2019 Indianapolis Colts are back in Downtown Indianapolis as they host the Atlanta Falcons in the first of four NFC South interdivisional opponents the Colts will play during the 2019 NFL Regular Season. Atlanta is playing a regular season game for the first time in Indianapolis in eight years, and Sunday afternoon's game is the 17th all-time meeting between the teams.   After two games the Colts are #2 in the NFL in Rushing Offense, and yards, led by  Marlon Mack with his 225 yards.   Also an interesting battle of quarterbacks, with the Colts Jacoby Brissett and the Falcons Matt Ryan leading their offenses. Atlanta offense also is sparked by WR Julio Jones and RB Devonta Freeman.   Indianapolis by far has the most current  winning percentage over any NFL opponent to start their home schedule of the regular season.   Colts lead the series at 14-2, and with their .875 percentage over the Falcons after 16 games.  Colts probably would have had a record of 15-1 instead when  the Falcons last visited Indianapolis.   Colts QB  Peyton Manning  though was sidelined the entire 2011 NFL regular  season because of his neck surgeries, along with Manning being placed the Franchise Tag.   Indianapolis will certainly perform better than they did when they played Atlanta at Lucas Oil Stadium (the building) back on November 6, 2011.  Falcon's Matt Ryan outdueled the Colts Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky with completing 14 of his 24 passes for 275 yards and three touchdowns.  Two of his TD's were in the air to Julio Jones from 50 and 80 yards, and 1 yard to Tony Gonzalez.  Defensive back Jerraud Powers 6-yard interception return for a TD in the second quarter, was the only score for the Colts as Atlanta defeated Indianapolis 31-7.   Indianapolis avenged their loss when they defeated Atlanta in their last regular season visit to the  Georgia Dome back on November 22, 2015.  Colts QB Matt Hasselbeck threw two separate TD passes from 7 yards and 2 yards to Ahmad Bradshaw, plus a 6-yard INT return by Colts LB D'Qwell Jackson, to help the Colts tie the game at 21-21 with 10:07 remaining in the fourth quarter.  Adam Vinatieri kicked  43-yard  game-winning field goal  with 8  seconds remaining, to help the Colts defeat the Falcons 24-21.   LOS's retractable roof could be closed to keep everyone inside cool and comfortable, for this afternoon's 1:05 PM Eastern Standard Time kickoff, because mostly cloudy skies at 84 degrees, feels like 85 degrees, is the gamecast outside the stadium area, along with 15% precipitation, 47% humidity, and southwest winds at 15 miles per hour.   Head Linesman Alex Kemp leads his NFL officiating crew to supervise the live game action on the LOS playing field between the Colts and Falcons.   NO injuries the Colts and Falcons players,  win your second game of the season in front of your loyal fans, and LET'S  GO COLTS!!!!!                  https://www.colts.com/game-day/2019/reg-week3/falcons-at-colts/            
    • I could be wrong, but I think he started slow last year as well.  It will come.  Our defense will shine this game.  Opening day they will be pumped!!
  • Members

    • AZColtsAmbassador

      AZColtsAmbassador 8

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HoosierHero

      HoosierHero 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CantBeStopped

      CantBeStopped 428

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Restored

      Restored 1,385

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Snakeman

      Snakeman 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NorthernBlue

      NorthernBlue 3,061

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Sumo63

      Sumo63 195

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • kornstar

      kornstar 169

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Larry Horseman

      Larry Horseman 687

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Gramz

      Gramz 9,619

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...