Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

He is a diva for sure.  But he has always been known as a great WR and will be one of the tp wr's of all time.  Well worth the risk considering the cap space we have.

Well worth the risk? How you figure?

Risk what he could do to the locker room and the mental health of this team?  Hades no!.

Oh by the way, he is a Raider now so anything you have to say now is just a mute point.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Golden Tate does not suck,  which is why he's going to sign a good contract.    

It's not like every player in the NFL just sucks once they turn 30.    He hasn't had a bad year since.... when?      Why you think he sucks is a mystery....

Meh, semantics, I suppose. He doesn't "suck". But he is on the downside of his career and not a fit here.

Excuse my word choice. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I wonder what people were saying about Ebron when Ballard signed him? I’m sure overrated and can’t catch the ball..

I know I was saying it was a great move.  I watched Ebron in Detroit ( I am from there and then moved to CA) and he always had talent.

Futchess is a walking statue.

There is nothing there.  If you think the Wrs we have had the past few years are slow?

Watch this guy,

Terrible move.

Trading for AB or signing Humpries was the move.

7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

He is a diva for sure.  But he has always been known as a great WR and will be one of the tp wr's of all time.  Well worth the risk considering the cap space we have.

With OBJ on the trade block, I wouldn’t have even given the 5th for brown 

20 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

One of my favorite things in life is to go out to stores on Christmas Eve and watch people stress over choosing gifts last-minute.  I casually walk around (usually smiling) and take in all the holidays have to offer like parents yelling at their kids, couples arguing, etc.  it really helps me put things in perspective.

I have another FAVORITE thing.... coming here around free agency and draft time.

It reminds me that i'm not nearly as "crazy" as i thought.

tenor.gif?itemid=5858970

Feels like another swing and miss type deal at WR that we have seen in recent years to me. The curse and the blessing is that it’s not a long-term deal. I’m guessing he was sold on it as a “prove it” deal, but the plan is to draft and groom, with Cain also back in the mix. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I know I was saying it was a great move.  I watched Ebron in Detroit ( I am from there and then moved to CA) and he always had talent.

Futchess is a walking statue.

There is nothing there.  If you think the Wrs we have had the past few years are slow?

Watch this guy,

Terrible move.

Trading for AB or signing Humpries was the move.

He had over 800 yards when Cam was healthy. He is  only 24. Why couldn’t he do that again with Luck.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11/colts-start-spending-adding-a-receiver/

...The Colts have more than $100 million in cap space, but they won’t be breaking the bank. On Monday, they mildly fractured it.

Per multiple reports, the Colts have agreed to terms with receiver Devin Funchess. It’s a one-year deal with a maximum value of $13 million. The base value will be lower than that, perhaps considerably.

A second-round pick of the Panthers in 2015, Funchess has 161 career catches for 2,233 yards and five touchdowns.

The Colts haven’t done much on the first day of the legal tampering period, opting to take their time. With Funchess, however, they opted to move quickly. And to pay him a lot of money, if he hits his various performance triggers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Feels like another swing and miss type deal at WR that we have seen in recent years to me. The curse and the blessing is that it’s not a long-term deal. I’m guessing he was sold on it as a “prove it” deal, but the plan is to draft and groom, with Cain also back in the mix. 

Exactly this.

How many times have we seen this the past 6 years since Wayne got hurt?

Countless.  

Just no.  

Final Drive of the game you got Cain and Funchess outside. TY in the slot being Ghost-like. Ebron lined up just outside the Tackles and Mack in the backfield who you doubling and how much of a chance does the other team have?

First FA pick I get correct since 1985. I take this win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps. But is younger, better, and not near as locker room cancerous

Oh I would love OBJ.  LOVE.

But there is no way in hell Ballard ever does that.

He is way way way too cocky about his ability to find homegrown talent.  He would never trade for a stud like OBJ....after all....he didn't draft him.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

He is way way way too cocky about his ability to find homegrown talent.  He would never trade for a stud like OBJ....after all....he didn't draft him.

Oh I don’t think we trade for him at all. But that’s really the only guy worth a trade for at this point. 

I actually don’t mind this signing. Ballard is banking on the talent and upside of this young WR with a motivational prove it deal. 

If he doesn’t live up to the deal, we aren’t in a bad spot since he’s off the books next year. 

I still fully expect Ballard to draft at least 1 or 2 talented WRs in the draft. Funchess won’t be asked to do too much. Probably our #3 WR going into the 2019 season. 

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Of course you would crawl out from under the bridge a spew hate on a Ballard move.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I live in NC and have had to watch alot of Panthers games over the years.  Funchess is not a super star, but he is a serviceable receiver with room and the ability to get better.  He is a big body, goes up and fights for catches and has good game speed.   He has made some spectacular catches and had some drops that should be easy catches.  Don't completely judge him by the numbers you see on PFF.  Funchess has SCam Newton throwing him the ball.  Like Ballard says " watch the tape".  Balls are constantly behind Panther receivers, thrown high, thrown low and thrown into contact.  Newton can't throw a good timing route to save his life.  Newton holds the ball as long as he can nearly every time.  IMO that way he can just run and be the super star and celebrate EVERY SINGLE 1ST DOWN HE GETS.  One year contract is perfect for this deal. $10 mil ,$3 mil in incentives.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I hope the bargain basement moves aren't all we're going to do at receiver.  It might be enough to get the division, but you need more to get through the final four elite teams.  Gotta match scores.  Funchess ain't tipping the balance in KC or at NE.

At times I worry the way Ballard wants to build it today is the way it should have been built 15 years ago while the way Polian built it 15 years ago is how you should do it today.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

WE need to bookmark this thread.  If he comes in and becomes a pro bowler it will be so funny.

Man I hope so. But my brother-in-law is a Panthers fan and I watch a lot more CAR football games than I would ever want to. Funchess is a bum.

I loved the Ebron signing. This is much different. Luck isn't going to throw the ball to a guy who can't separate and drops the ball.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Man I hope so. But my brother-in-law is a Panthers fan and I watch a lot more CAR football games than I would ever want to. Funchess is a bum.

I loved the Ebron signing. This is much different. Luck isn't going to throw the ball to a guy who can't separate and drops the ball.

Agree 100%.  I said a year ago the Ebron signing I really really liked.

He had and has talent.

Futchess is jag.  Just a guy.  A slow motion jag.

If people think he is going to come in and change his career here?  Not going to happen.

Makes me sick that guys that like can get up to $13 M.  

Incredible.

50 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

IMO, Ballard wanted a 1 yr. rental while they see what they have in Cain. He has been clear that he wants to draft his talent. Personally, I'd have rather brought Inman back, but he likely wanted a 3 year deal. 

This was exactly my thought. I really want Inman back and he made it clear he really wants to be back in Indy next season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Ah.....    Three Flight is back and in classic TF form!!

As I recall,  you were one of the most outspoken against Ballard in the last draft.     And now you've taken your act here to the 19 free agency.     

In case you missed it,  when most observers thought the Colts would have a losing record in 18,  the Colts won 10 games,  plus a playoff game.     Ballard was named GM of the Year.    His HC was named the AFC Coach of the Year.

Now, you're back and calling Ballard "cocky".      Sorry,  but even if you're right,  and you're not,  strikes me he has reason to be cocky.       Where as you....    don't have any reason to feel the way you do....

But,  you're entitled to your own opinion.    No matter how wrong it is,  no matter how little support you have here!

Have fun!!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Gotta remember that he can only play as well as his QB

• Like 1

Just to expand on this signing:

He could be more of a package type WR, not an every down WR. How many times did we wish we had a big red zone wr last year?

I'm trying to stay positive because maybe Frank specifically asked for a guy like this that he could scheme with.

1 hour ago, James said:

Golden Tate, Tyrell Williams, Adam Humphries... 

... and we get Devin Funchess.

The guy can’t get any separation and he drops balls. 

What on earth is Ballard thinking? It’s a one year deal but the player could and should have been much better.

Not a fan of this for 13 million he cant separate or catch a cold don't we have enough guys on this roster that cant catch a cold.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

This was exactly my thought. I really want Inman back and he made it clear he really wants to be back in Indy next season.

Counting on a 6th round pick coming off a ACL is foolish.  IMO you look at him as nothing.

Anything you get is a bonus.

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Agree 100%.  I said a year ago the Ebron signing I really really liked.

He had and has talent.

Futchess is jag.  Just a guy.  A slow motion jag.

If people think he is going to come in and change his career here?  Not going to happen.

Makes me sick that guys that like can get up to $13 M.  

Incredible.

No...it's impossible to have liked the Ebron move if you didn't like this move. They are the same thing...or some I have been told over at another SB.