Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

9 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

The other day I slighted Funchess based on his speed, or lack thereof.  I was right in saying he's not fast.  But that's not the whole story.  

He does other things very well, including blocking and making contested catches despite the caveat that he can't gain separation. 

Something to remember is that he will never be a #1 receiver, so he's never going to command or get paid #1 receiver dough.  There's no 1,000 yards and 10 TDs in his 2019 season because he won't be asked to do that much.  Even if he balls out he could get extended for what?  Maybe $12 mil per year base salary with more incentives?  Food for thought.

You are correct. Especially in this offense where there is so many targets.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:37 AM, MikeCurtis said:

The more I think about this pick......... this is a RENT pickup, or a HEDGE BET

A bet that you are willing to do, when you have a pile of chips in front of you.

If you lose the bet........ it is a short period of loss........ You zero out in 12 months

I think they had a taste for where the Williams bidding was going to, and decided to grab one of the top 10 FA WRs anyway.

(Im guessing that Williams may be in the 16-17M range, with a long term ask  :0)

If Funchess shines......... You can always reward the player with a real contract that players are seeking

If they thought that he was the future of the team as the big bodied WR needed, he would have a multiyear contract.

At a minimum, it would be 2-3 years.

We have Cain, at 6'2"  , Fountain at 6' 1", in waiting

With a one year deal.....  The Colts PROBABLY think one of these two may have potential to be that bigger outside WR

I believe that this gets the team through this year

I also believe that since we have the big WR now, we can go with a speed and separation guy, someone like Isabella in the 3rd, or even Campbell (2nd) to complete the WR corp

The fact is...... I dont LOVE the Funchess pickup

He isnt a game changer, but he DOES draw single coverage, 100% of the time, and has the size to grab 50/50 balls

But..... I didnt LOVE the Ebron pick last year

And it turned out OK

If Funchess takes snaps away from Ryan Grant, and is an improvement over Pascal.......  We got a BIT better overall

That BIT..... was 'spensive

Cain tore is ACL and may or may not be the same i would not like to play the game of What if. With the recieving core which is weak enough as it is.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will say this. I don’t know the size of Marcus Johnson.  The only way ballard would let funchess walk if he had a great season is if he felt one of the young guys could give the same production. That is a total unknown right now. 

It is so easy. Search Colts roster. Then scroll down.

21 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I tend to agree with you.  If Ballard is 100% on board with a guy , then spending big on 1 player (a guy you expect to be a core player) has a much better chance of working out, or at least should.

Another factor is, and Ballard has said this, that you wanna be careful who you bring in and how much you pay them.  We are building a great locker room culture.  Part of this is the belief if you work hard, the team will keep and pay you.  Ballard is ant to build thru the draft, and it appears he prefers most FA pickups as "trial periods."  This helps that they will come in and follow the "company rules".  A big name, high price guy may bring an attitude and a level of self- superiority which can rot a lot clearly room from the inside out.

I used to have alot of angel fish (tropical fish)..  very rare and neat specimens. .  With tropical fish, not unlike an nfl locker room, 1 new addition can literally and figuratively "kill" the delicate balance.  

Its not flashy, but Ballard needs a strong, self-policing locker room before he adds some of these guys i believe.  And i love he sets his limit and sticks to it. He'll find "his guys."

The kid comes here with a fat paycheck and lots of incentives to be coached up and to play better football. Remember that we do have a character guy that woud have taken a look at him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Funchess' major issue in the NFL have been drops.  The guy has a lot of upside.  Ebron's major problem was drops, but he had a lot of upside.  Ebron had some drop issues last year, but not like he had in the past and he made a lot of big plays at critical times.  He was also a very solid red zone guy for us.  Ebron seems to have revived his career here in Indy.  A big part of that is our QB and probably also the culture Reich/Ballard/etc. are building. 

Funchess brings the size to the table which will help alleviate some of the pressure from Ebron in the red zone (especially if Doyle doesn't come back healthy).  I read recently (I think in Indy Star) a quote from Reich that was along the lines of "I can deal with a few drops here or there if the guy is making big plays to counteract them." (I know I'm off on the quote, but that was the idea).  The article kind of compared Ebron to Funchess -- two bigger guys with a world of upside who may not have been living up to their potential with their main issues being drops.  The article basically argued that part of the reason the Colts aren't afraid of Funchess' history is because they signed a guy who was a pro-bowler and critical part of our success last year who had similar knocks on his game.

If Funchess comes in here and is turning things around (in terms of drops), making plays, and the Colts are winning football games, then I imagine Ballard will be offering him something long-term before Funchess gets the chance to test the FA market next year.  If he's still dropping the ball and not making plays, then we let him walk at the end of the year.  I think that's about as complex as this situation gets.

From what i understand, he had some drop issues last season, but in 2017 he was among the top WR's with the fewest drops.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

From what i understand, he had some drop issues last season, but in 2017 he was among the top WR's with the fewest drops.   

Yes, he only had 3 passes that were officially considered 'drops' in 2017, which was 6th best in the league for WR's who were targeted over 80 times.  As @Irish YJ says below, though, he only had 63 catches on 111 balls thrown his way (a 56.8% catch rate).  Actually, as I'm digging more into his stats -- he only had 4 'drops' last year, but he only caught 44 balls thrown his way out of 79 (55.7% catch rate).  If you turned his 4 'drops' into catches, he'd have a 61% catch rate, which is not great but still quite a bit better than what <56%.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

had less drops in 17, but his catch rate was still awful (ranked 63rd) for being a WR1. 

This is actually kind of alarming to me.  Granted, I think Luck is a more accurate QB and throws with more touch compared to where he's coming from... but as a guy who is supposed to be a big, possession type WR.. you want him having a wide catch radius and the ability to separate from the DB.  Catch rates that low to me suggest one or a combination of all of the following: (1) An inaccurate QB or a QB under pressure who's throwing the ball away but you are considered the target, (2) A 'hands' issue (looking at Funchess' actual stats, though, that doesn't seem to be the major issue, (3) an inability to create separation from the defender, (4) inability to adjust to the ball in the air (as a big WR, you'd want to be able to throw to spots he can get to but the CB can't even if he's tightly covered), or (5) a small catch radius.

I haven't studied him thoroughly, but have watched a lot of highlights.  I'll have to pay attention a little more next time I watch him.  Hopefully with a speedy WR like TY to help take some pressure from him, issues 3-5 can be helped (if they are the issues causing him to have fairly low catch ratings).

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, he only had 3 passes that were officially considered 'drops' in 2017, which was 6th best in the league for WR's who were targeted over 80 times.  As @Irish YJ says below, though, he only had 63 catches on 111 balls thrown his way (a 56.8% catch rate).  Actually, as I'm digging more into his stats -- he only had 4 'drops' last year, but he only caught 44 balls thrown his way out of 79 (55.7% catch rate).  If you turned his 4 'drops' into catches, he'd have a 61% catch rate, which is not great but still quite a bit better than what <56%.

This is actually kind of alarming to me.  Granted, I think Luck is a more accurate QB and throws with more touch compared to where he's coming from... but as a guy who is supposed to be a big, possession type WR.. you want him having a wide catch radius and the ability to separate from the DB.  Catch rates that low to me suggest one or a combination of all of the following: (1) An inaccurate QB or a QB under pressure who's throwing the ball away but you are considered the target, (2) A 'hands' issue (looking at Funchess' actual stats, though, that doesn't seem to be the major issue, (3) an inability to create separation from the defender, (4) inability to adjust to the ball in the air (as a big WR, you'd want to be able to throw to spots he can get to but the CB can't even if he's tightly covered), or (5) a small catch radius.

I haven't studied him thoroughly, but have watched a lot of highlights.  I'll have to pay attention a little more next time I watch him.  Hopefully with a speedy WR like TY to help take some pressure from him, issues 3-5 can be helped (if they are the issues causing him to have fairly low catch ratings).

Here are some really strange things to me...

-Newton improved his accuracy a bunch last year (67+%), and Funchess's catch rate and drop rate got even worse

-Funchess throughout his career has let balls bounce off his chest, as he body catches the ball too much. He does make good catches on balls thrown away from his chest. So note to Andrew, don't hit him in the numbers LOL....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

The other day I slighted Funchess based on his speed, or lack thereof.  I was right in saying he's not fast.  But that's not the whole story.  

He does other things very well, including blocking and making contested catches despite the caveat that he can't gain separation. 

Something to remember is that he will never be a #1 receiver, so he's never going to command or get paid #1 receiver dough.  There's no 1,000 yards and 10 TDs in his 2019 season because he won't be asked to do that much.  Even if he balls out he could get extended for what?  Maybe $12 mil per year base salary with more incentives? Food for thought.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Williams just signed at 11 m. Funchess isnt AB. Lol I don’t know where got getting he would be worth more then that.

I've heard Pat Kirwan (who is NOT a friend of 1 year deals) mention how it sometimes works.  (Kirwan was in the FO of Jets for 10 years and negotiated tons of contracts) You set a base salary, and add the additional pay based upon incentives that are Not Likely To Be Earned (NLTBE), which are individual performance based.

If the player reaches the incentives, that pay is rolled into his base salary for the next contract, and new NLTBE incentives added (just above and beyond the previous incentives). So it is not out of the realm of possibility that your statement-

"Maybe $12 (or 13) mil per year base salary with more incentives?"

could potentially happen.  It's just not likely.  The incentives are probably set to just beyond his best previous efforts.  That's why they are considered NLTBE, and they don't count against the cap at signing, until met and reconciled at years end.  LTBE incentives a player has achieved before, or are in his control (workout and/or reporting bonuses, etc...)  and it's very possible they will do so again, and thus they do count against the salary cap at signing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

\ A big name, high price guy may bring an attitude and a level of self- superiority which can rot a lot clearly room from the inside out.\

Sorry to paraphrase, but I totally agree with this. 

I completely believe this is the reason Bell and Brown were never options to come to Indy.

The attitude exceeded ability. 

• Like 2

Williams signed a 4 year 44 million Vs a 1 year 13 million. IMO Williams would have been so much better for our needs. One he's much MUCH faster, that in itself would have taken pressure off of TY Hilton. Second, he's a future superstar player, a guy that can really make an impact. I won't question Ballard, but this one has me scratching my head..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Williams signed a 4 year 44 million Vs a 1 year 13 million. IMO Williams would have been so much better for our needs. One he's much MUCH faster, that in itself would have taken pressure off of TY Hilton. Second, he's a future superstar player, a guy that can really make an impact. I won't question Ballard, but this one has me scratching my head..

Tyrell Williams is NOT a future superstar player. Funchess at least has a chance to resurrect his young career the way that Ebron did. Funchess has the body of a young Brandon Marshall. Just needs to perfect his route running and hands. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Tyrell Williams is NOT a future superstar player. Funchess at least has a chance to resurrect his young career the way that Ebron did.

I don't know what the future holds for Williams.  multiyear deal at 11 million per for him, vs. 1 year at 10 million for Devin.  The second is safer...

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Funchess has the body of a young Brandon Marshall. Just needs to perfect his route running and hands. 

From film study folks have posted I've got to watch, his route running isn't bad, his hands seem good. His issue is relying too much on catching (dropping) passes into his chest/arms instead of hands.

I have no issue with signing Funchess, but that interview was concerning to me. All he really mentioned was winning a championship like ten times and not really what he brings to the team skill wise or leadership wise. I dont know just seems off to me

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I have no issue with signing Funchess, but that interview was concerning to me. All he really mentioned was winning a championship like ten times and not really what he brings to the team skill wise or leadership wise. I dont know just seems off to me

He actually did. He said he thought Luck was ready for a SB and his abilities could help them get there. Personally I want someone who wants to win.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He actually did. He said he thought Luck was ready for a SB and his abilities could help them get there. Personally I want someone who wants to win.

Yea, but it made him sound like hes only coming here to win, not to help the team. Thats the vibe I got anyway

15 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Here are some really strange things to me...

-Newton improved his accuracy a bunch last year (67+%), and Funchess's catch rate and drop rate got even worse

How much of this can be attributed to a focus being placed on shorter throws to McCaffrey?

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

How much of this can be attributed to a focus being placed on shorter throws to McCaffrey?

McCaf's targets didn't increase a whole lot from 17 to 18, but McCaf did improve his catch %. I think the gain was more about inserting DJ who was 67+%, over a low 50s% DF. 

i've liked what i've heard from him (this and other interviews I've seen/heard), but let's be honest, 99% of interviews like this are good, and what we want to hear. name the last bad interview you've seen from a Colt's addition.

hope it translates, refreshes his career, and he balls out and has fun.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something to think about. Funchess isn’t going to be asked to be the number one here like in Carolina. We have so many targets. That alone could help him.  There really won’t be any pressure. He is also tough as nails. Has only missed 3 or 4 games in 4 years and played with a shoulder injury in 2017.

It dumbfounds me for some to automatically think Funchess will not be any good in Indy.

Like you said, he will not be ask to be our #1 receiver.

I think it has more to do with the Colts not trading for Brown or not signing a high dollar free agent than Funchess. We didn't do those things so lets just trash the Funchess signing. Over reacting at it's finest.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Not much love on the Panthers message boards about Funch.

It's kinda like our board when Moncrief left for Jacksonville.

The lions board was the same with Ebron.

Someone was making fun of DF  on twitter. Funchess told him to stop criticizing him because he doesnt do it to you. I think he is going to come out motivated and play well. He seems to be a hard worker. He is even working on his speed. Don’t know how you get better at that but he is trying. He has been in Dubai this week.