Jump to content
LJpalmbeacher2

Mayock Fleeced Steelers

Recommended Posts

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/22866/gm-mike-mayock-fleeces-steelers-lands-antonio-brown-and-passes-first-test-with-raiders

 

Some talk on radio sports while I was driving said that if Mayock drafts like they think he will he may go on being considered best GM in game after this offseason.

It will be interesting to see what he does with like 4 picks in first 35 or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is unproven, he did a lot of mocks for the NFL and was freakishly accurate with some...thats how he became know as the "draft guru", he also has done things like had Blaine Gabbert rated higher than Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez rated higher than Matt Stafford.

 

He has seemed to have fleeced the Steelers, but i honestly think the Steelers were desperate to offload AB and no team wanted that drama for a high price. I wouldn't put Mayock on any other level than what a normal rookie GM would garner...until proven otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he got a good deal, but I think the Steelers had better offers from teams that they didn't want to deal with. Reportedly, the Pats were willing to offer a 2 and a 4, but the Steelers understandably had no interest in putting Brown with Brady (and thank goodness, it's hard to imagine a better match). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Raiders did very well. The Steelers did the best they could in a miserable situation but definitely came out on the short end of the deal.  And the Pats were denied. All in all....not a bad outcome. I'm good with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, the raiders might actually hit .500 before Brown's contract is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they will have a really good draft with Mayock in there. His draft knowledge is deep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/22866/gm-mike-mayock-fleeces-steelers-lands-antonio-brown-and-passes-first-test-with-raiders

 

Some talk on radio sports while I was driving said that if Mayock drafts like they think he will he may go on being considered best GM in game after this offseason.

It will be interesting to see what he does with like 4 picks in first 35 or something like that.

Lets wait and see how Antonio works out.

..and most draft picks are disappointments. There are no geniuses. He's guessing like everybody else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Great, the raiders might actually hit .500 before Brown's contract is up.

why is that relevant? do  you think they shouldnt try to get good players on the team because they were not very good last year?  hell they might have beat us if they had brown, and maybe a few other games go differently too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aaron11 said:

why is that relevant? do  you think they shouldnt try to get good players on the team because they were not very good last year?  hell they might have beat us if they had brown, and maybe a few other games go differently too

It's because they got rid of young talent and then decided to pay old talent. Great recipe for success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BOTT said:

It's because they got rid of young talent and then decided to pay old talent. Great recipe for success.

so you are comparing this to letting mack go.  i believe the radiers did say they were trying to keep him for a while, but it started to look like mack didnt want to be there anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aaron11 said:

so you are comparing this to letting mack go.  i believe the radiers did say they were trying to keep him for a while, but it started to look like mack didnt want to be there anymore

Mack, Amari Cooper, even Denice Autry.  Then they sign guys like brown marshawn lynch and jordy Nelson.  I know they have signed some younger guys, but I don't get signing guys that are 30+ when they are in rebuild mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Mack, Amari Cooper, even Denice Autry.  Then they sign guys like brown marshawn lynch and jordy Nelson.  I know they have signed some younger guys, but I don't get signing guys that are 30+ when they are in rebuild mode.

 yeah i see what you mean, but they probably did this move for the fans too

 

its going to be a weird couple of years for the raiders, maybe brown and carr will make them actually worth watching on the field while they go through this move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Lets wait and see how Antonio works out.

..and most draft picks are disappointments. There are no geniuses. He's guessing like everybody else

 

Guessing?  I don't think Colts have college area scouts if they're just guessing.  Brian Decker is the next piece, trying to find out the 'fight in the dog' and further improve an acquisitions chances of success. And the analytics department...  all things everybody else (besides the other 31 NFL teams) doesn't have.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Superman said:

I think he got a good deal, but I think the Steelers had better offers from teams that they didn't want to deal with. Reportedly, the Pats were willing to offer a 2 and a 4, but the Steelers understandably had no interest in putting Brown with Brady (and thank goodness, it's hard to imagine a better match). 

But isn’t that rather stupid on their part? (I’m honestly asking) they will not be contenders next year or the year after, not with that D and with Big Ben and JuJu the only threats on O now.. shouldn’t they have taken a better hall get better faster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

He is unproven, he did a lot of mocks for the NFL and was freakishly accurate with some...thats how he became know as the "draft guru", he also has done things like had Blaine Gabbert rated higher than Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez rated higher than Matt Stafford.

 

Was he freakishly accurate with predicting what players would be hits & misses, or freakishly accurate in regard to what team would select what player? Huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

But isn’t that rather stupid on their part? (I’m honestly asking) they will not be contenders next year or the year after, not with that D and with Big Ben and JuJu the only threats on O now.. shouldn’t they have taken a better hall get better faster?

 

I don't think they're assuming they won't be contenders next year. The draft is deep at receiver, and I'm sure they're working feverishly on the defense. They underachieved last season and could easily be better in 2019.

 

And their biggest obstacle is the Pats, so not wanting to strengthen them is reasonable, especially when the difference is between a second and a third. It's not like the Pats were making a godfather offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • As I said, it's never about "can you fit under the cap?", or "do you spend all your cap space?" Because you can fit under the cap certainly. Actually, you have to, that's the rule. And most teams do spend their cap space. That's the point. Use it all if possible. The Patriots use it all usually, the Steelers use it all usually, etc. Most teams do. Actually, the Colts do use almost all of their 2019 cap space too. (The 2019 total sum of contracts is a bit over 184 million, just a few mills under the cap. That "40ish cap space" is already nothing else but the rollovers from previous years.)   But, even with spending all the cap space, there is good cap management, and there is bad cap management. The Patriots spend all of their cap space, and they manage it very effectively. The Colts (now) spend all of their (excluding rollover), and I belive Ballard manages the cap very effectively. But the Jags didn't. They went over the line, and sacrifized their future effectiveness by getting into bidding wars and signing pricey free agents one after another. The problem wasn't Norwell. If it was only him, that would be ok. The problem was, that they also signed Moncrief for 10M, Jenkins for 6M, Church for 7M, traded for Hyde and payed him 4M and he barely saw the field, etc, etc. The list is very long.      I never said that having elite talents heading into their second contract is a burden. You are right, that is a blessing. Actually, that is the best that can happen to a team. That's what Ballard want's to do! The problem is, that the Jaguars got into a situation, when there is a very good chance that they cannot sign their own guys. And their roster got thin, because they could not refill it this offseason enough. They got worse. And they will become even worse in 2020, because they won't be able to retain their talent level. Yes, they can cut Campbell, they can cut Bouye, and they can trade Ngakogue, and fit under the cap. And then? Who will play at CB, who will play at DE? A mediocre somebody. So, instead of improving their team, they actually made it worse. That's the bad management. Cap wise and talent wise as well. (However, I do agree, that they kinda draft OK recently - one year exceptionally well, but still OK since then, so their talent infusion is somewhat OK. What they screwed up big time is cap management.)   Btw, this is an old story repeating itself. Coughlin has been with the Jags before. And he drove them into cap hell before. It was bad, it cost them years to recover. He's just doing it all over again. He is (was) a very good coach, but terrible at managing the cap.
    • https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-say-no-trade-offers-sticking-jacoby-brissett-backup?fbclid=IwAR0IGDgC2r_pBbt7tUzbQjxiBv0zfXiUyxQtxziGhcsvuaRHI3Or6xVIT74   I like Reich's quotes here:  “It’s impossible for me to have a higher opinion of Jacoby than I do,” Reich says. “I said it last year, I think he’s a top 20 quarterback. I still say that. After watching him for a year, this guy’s really good.   “I tell Chris all the time, ‘Please don’t let him go. I don’t care what anybody offers him. Don’t let him go.’ I love Jacoby. The problem is now I’ve gotten to know Jacoby and, at some point, I hope that it works out for Jacoby. But not now.”
    • How is the number of UDFAs significant to anything?     For the record, the Colts actually signed 11 UDFAs...JAC signed 21.    BTW, here are some of the "better teams" and the number of UDFAs this year:   HOU - 20 KC - 23 CHI - 22 NO -17 LAR - 19 LAC - 19   I see no clear correlation between "better teams", thin rosters and UDFAs. There is more of a correlation between the number of draft picks and UDFAs, if anything. Those teams typically had less draft picks...and therefore...more roster spots to give to UDFAs. And UDFAs understand this as well...and see a better path to making a roster if a draft pick is not in their way.   In 2018, the Colts...in the first year of a new offensive and defensive scheme...coming off a 4-win season...signed only 10 UDFAs...because they had 11 draft picks...which makes sense. But that roster was by no means deep.  
  • Members

    • Shepman

      Shepman 220

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • That Guy

      That Guy 806

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeterBowman

      PeterBowman 2,807

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 261

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Boiler_Colt

      Boiler_Colt 3,716

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 7,226

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 139

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CurBeatElite

      CurBeatElite 214

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 400

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsLegacy

      ColtsLegacy 3,881

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...