Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mayock Fleeced Steelers

LJpalmbeacher2

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/22866/gm-mike-mayock-fleeces-steelers-lands-antonio-brown-and-passes-first-test-with-raiders

Some talk on radio sports while I was driving said that if Mayock drafts like they think he will he may go on being considered best GM in game after this offseason.

It will be interesting to see what he does with like 4 picks in first 35 or something like that.

He is unproven, he did a lot of mocks for the NFL and was freakishly accurate with some...thats how he became know as the "draft guru", he also has done things like had Blaine Gabbert rated higher than Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez rated higher than Matt Stafford.

He has seemed to have fleeced the Steelers, but i honestly think the Steelers were desperate to offload AB and no team wanted that drama for a high price. I wouldn't put Mayock on any other level than what a normal rookie GM would garner...until proven otherwise.

I think he got a good deal, but I think the Steelers had better offers from teams that they didn't want to deal with. Reportedly, the Pats were willing to offer a 2 and a 4, but the Steelers understandably had no interest in putting Brown with Brady (and thank goodness, it's hard to imagine a better match). 

The Raiders did very well. The Steelers did the best they could in a miserable situation but definitely came out on the short end of the deal.  And the Pats were denied. All in all....not a bad outcome. I'm good with it. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/22866/gm-mike-mayock-fleeces-steelers-lands-antonio-brown-and-passes-first-test-with-raiders

Some talk on radio sports while I was driving said that if Mayock drafts like they think he will he may go on being considered best GM in game after this offseason.

It will be interesting to see what he does with like 4 picks in first 35 or something like that.

Lets wait and see how Antonio works out.

..and most draft picks are disappointments. There are no geniuses. He's guessing like everybody else

42 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Great, the raiders might actually hit .500 before Brown's contract is up.

why is that relevant? do  you think they shouldnt try to get good players on the team because they were not very good last year?  hell they might have beat us if they had brown, and maybe a few other games go differently too

• Like 1

Just now, aaron11 said:

why is that relevant? do  you think they shouldnt try to get good players on the team because they were not very good last year?  hell they might have beat us if they had brown, and maybe a few other games go differently too

It's because they got rid of young talent and then decided to pay old talent. Great recipe for success.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

It's because they got rid of young talent and then decided to pay old talent. Great recipe for success.

so you are comparing this to letting mack go.  i believe the radiers did say they were trying to keep him for a while, but it started to look like mack didnt want to be there anymore

Just now, aaron11 said:

so you are comparing this to letting mack go.  i believe the radiers did say they were trying to keep him for a while, but it started to look like mack didnt want to be there anymore

Mack, Amari Cooper, even Denice Autry.  Then they sign guys like brown marshawn lynch and jordy Nelson.  I know they have signed some younger guys, but I don't get signing guys that are 30+ when they are in rebuild mode.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Mack, Amari Cooper, even Denice Autry.  Then they sign guys like brown marshawn lynch and jordy Nelson.  I know they have signed some younger guys, but I don't get signing guys that are 30+ when they are in rebuild mode.

yeah i see what you mean, but they probably did this move for the fans too

its going to be a weird couple of years for the raiders, maybe brown and carr will make them actually worth watching on the field while they go through this move

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Lets wait and see how Antonio works out.

..and most draft picks are disappointments. There are no geniuses. He's guessing like everybody else

Guessing?  I don't think Colts have college area scouts if they're just guessing.  Brian Decker is the next piece, trying to find out the 'fight in the dog' and further improve an acquisitions chances of success. And the analytics department...  all things everybody else (besides the other 31 NFL teams) doesn't have.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I think he got a good deal, but I think the Steelers had better offers from teams that they didn't want to deal with. Reportedly, the Pats were willing to offer a 2 and a 4, but the Steelers understandably had no interest in putting Brown with Brady (and thank goodness, it's hard to imagine a better match). 

But isn’t that rather stupid on their part? (I’m honestly asking) they will not be contenders next year or the year after, not with that D and with Big Ben and JuJu the only threats on O now.. shouldn’t they have taken a better hall get better faster?

17 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

He is unproven, he did a lot of mocks for the NFL and was freakishly accurate with some...thats how he became know as the "draft guru", he also has done things like had Blaine Gabbert rated higher than Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez rated higher than Matt Stafford.

Was he freakishly accurate with predicting what players would be hits & misses, or freakishly accurate in regard to what team would select what player? Huge difference.

5 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

But isn’t that rather stupid on their part? (I’m honestly asking) they will not be contenders next year or the year after, not with that D and with Big Ben and JuJu the only threats on O now.. shouldn’t they have taken a better hall get better faster?

I don't think they're assuming they won't be contenders next year. The draft is deep at receiver, and I'm sure they're working feverishly on the defense. They underachieved last season and could easily be better in 2019.

And their biggest obstacle is the Pats, so not wanting to strengthen them is reasonable, especially when the difference is between a second and a third. It's not like the Pats were making a godfather offer.