Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csmopar

Tampering is upon us!

Recommended Posts

I have to say, this free agency class seems a lot weaker than in year's past, no?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MTC said:

I have to say, this free agency class seems a lot weaker than in year's past, no?

 

But the money being spent is mind-boggling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I mean guys, We are not millionaires having millionaire conversations are we? "Man, I know what I would have done if someone offered me XYZ" 

 

Please tell me that you wont do the same thing Landon Collins just did! Lets ask your wife then lol

 

Theres a reason why the NFL means Not For Long. If you could cash in a Lotto ticket of 80 Million, why wouldn't you? Especially playing one of the most dangerous positions on the field, Safety.

if someone offered me 84 million over the next 6 years and someone else offered me 70 million over the next 5 years, I would definitely take the 84 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

With that kind of contact and no cap space they aren’t going to be able to build a good team. A safety is not s guy you build around on defense. 

 

Why not? The Colts just drafted a G at #6 to build an OL around. Conventional wisdom would say that's not really how you do it.

 

Try convincing Collins that he isn't a guy you can build a defense around. If he plays like he did in 2016...he is definitely a guy that can lead a defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No I am not young. Let’s be real. We aren’t talking about a player making a decision between 100k and millions. That is a no brainer. We are talking about a decision between millions and more millions. Your family is set either way. 

 

So if the difference is $10m total, that's still a boatload of money. It's unreasonable to expect someone to just turn their nose up at that much money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts are quiet and nothing on Tyrell Williams. Hope that is a good sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

if someone offered me 84 million over the next 6 years and someone else offered me 70 million over the next 5 years, I would definitely take the 84 million.

 

So the only factor for you is the money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

 

16.5M - Gosder Cherilus
16M - Art Jones
14.5M - Johnathan Hankins
14M - LaRon Landry
10M - Andre Johnson
8.5M - Ricky Jean Francois
7.75M - Trent Cole

 

nm4hcWk.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, but for Colts fans by this time tomorrow Collins will be an overpriced, money grabbing safety that is greatly over-rated.

I want Adrian Amos anyway so I’m good...for now.  His asking price might get out of our range now though given how much the Skins paid Collins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think people have this idealistic idea of FA in sports. Yes...guys do sometimes seek teams that to win a ring/trophy. etc. But those are typically guys that can have both (money and any team they want)...or they are guys who are blessed to have played long careers and make a lot of money.

 

Yup. Fans only care about winning. Players have competing priorities. It's easy to tell someone else to leave $10m on the table...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

if someone offered me 84 million over the next 6 years and someone else offered me 70 million over the next 5 years, I would definitely take the 84 million.

 

Hah...well that's because you are a money-grubbing * who doesn't care about winning or the important things in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

I want Adrian Amos anyway so I’m good...for now.  His asking price might get out of our range now though given how much the Skins paid Collins. 

 

Give me either Adrian, and I'm happier than I would be if we signed Collins. They can actually cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

So if the difference is $10m total, that's still a boatload of money. It's unreasonable to expect someone to just turn their nose up at that much money.

Especially when you play a game that you know will likely leave you with long term health effects. Take the cash where you can get it. People aren't even taking visits yet, so of course they're about the cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Why not? The Colts just drafted a G at #6 to build an OL around. Conventional wisdom would say that's not really how you do it.

 

Try convincing Collins that he isn't a guy you can build a defense around. If he plays like he did in 2016...he is definitely a guy that can lead a defense. 

You win by building in the trenches. Not by a safety. A guard is very valuable because it protects your QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

Give me either Adrian, and I'm happier than I would be if we signed Collins. They can actually cover.

Exactly! Plus they still can bring that thump with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gspdx said:

 

So the only factor for you is the money?

:)  Yup.

 

In the NFL, only one team wins the SB every year, it would be stupid for players to use that as a primary consideration when signing a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People take jobs everyday that pay less because that is what makes them happy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

So the only factor for you is the money?

 

Absolutely... The player should always look for what's best for THEM. Winning is the bonus.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts are quiet and nothing on Tyrell Williams. Hope that is a good sign.

I agree.  Many people are saying this makes to much sense considering his connections to Reich and Siriani. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

:)  Yup.

 

In the NFL, only one team wins the SB every year, it would be stupid for players to use that as a primary consideration when signing a contract.

 I would disagree in any profession.  I would take into account things like mgmt style of owner and GM, coaches, team mates, etc.  

 

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

Absolutely... The player should always look for what's best for them. 

 

So you are saying what is best for them in more money.  I just don't agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

People take jobs everyday that pay less because that is what makes them happy.  

They aren’t turning down 10 million dollars to take that other job though. This really shouldn’t be that hard to grasp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I want Adrian Amos anyway so I’m good...for now.  His asking price might get out of our range now though given how much the Skins paid Collins. 

 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Give me either Adrian, and I'm happier than I would be if we signed Collins. They can actually cover.

 

Personally, if the only move the Colts make at safety is signing Geathers and then drafting Darnell Savage from Maryland, I will be happy.

 

And I'm not even a Geathers fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

People take jobs everyday that pay less because that is what makes them happy.  

Likely not if their careers are less than ten years long. You are comparing apples to oranges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gnet550 said:

If we would spend on Mosley and Collins and call it a FA I wouldn't be mad.....sign an under the radar guy like Shane Ray for extra edge pursuit and I'd call it a major win, IMO.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Btown_Colt said:

They aren’t turning down 10 million dollars to take that other job though. This really shouldn’t be that hard to grasp.

 Someone who is only making 40G when they could have made 50G are making a bigger sacrifice since they aren't sitting on a fortune already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

 

How'd that work out for Grigson?

 

We're doing it the right way

How'd it work out for the Rams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

You win by building in the trenches. Not by a safety. A guard is very valuable because it protects your QB. 

 

Sure a G is valuable...but he is only one of five guys on the OL. And you don't need to spend the #6 pick or whatever Norwell got last year to get a valuable G. 

 

I don't want to get into a discussion about the merits of that deal from the WAS side...because I wouldn't have signed Collins for that. But it sounds like you think Collins is consciously hurting WAS's future by accepting that contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

At some point, We have to sign 1 big contract. At some point. CB just has to decide if its going to be CJ Mosley, FLowers, Preston, etc. But To move to the next level, you are not going to fill all of your needs via the draft. Either you wont have enough picks to fill all the pressing needs or the player that you want/need wont be available at the spot you select, so.... Indianapolis Colts you are on the Free Agency clock! make it count!

Also you wont win a super bowl with table scraps free agents either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aavmarine said:

How'd it work out for the Rams?

 

They lost to the Patriots just like we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

it's pretty funny because Ballard has been completely transparent about what he's going to do. Some people just don't want to see it. 

 

I don't know why people keep saying things like this.  If we were one of the final two in on Collins, Ballard was prepared to pay him a whole hell of a lot... just not as much as Dan Snyder was prepared to spend.  Ballard's going to pay someone, and now that the market has been set, if it's a safety, it will likely be huge whoever it might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  Many people are saying this makes to much sense considering his connections to Reich and Siriani. 

I think the same can be said about Justin Houston. 

 

The only thing  is I could see Williams going somewhere where he will be the number one receiver. Unless he just loves the coaches on the colts that much. I would pay him Hilton money then redo Hilton’s contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #12. said:

 

I don't know why people keep saying things like this.  If we were one of the final two in on Collins, Ballard was prepared to pay him a whole hell of a lot... just not as much as Dan Snyder was prepared to spend.  Ballard's going to pay someone, and now that the market has been set, if it's a safety, it will likely be huge whoever it might be.

Because he said he won't get into a bidding war and overspend if he feels the deals are more than what the team are willing to pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #12. said:

 

I don't know why people keep saying things like this.  If we were one of the final two in on Collins, Ballard was prepared to pay him a whole hell of a lot... just not as much as Dan Snyder was prepared to spend.  Ballard's going to pay someone, and now that the market has been set, if it's a safety, it will likely be huge whoever it might be.

I think at this point it makes sense to bring Geathers back. We may end up having to pay him more now then if we would of just signed him before FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Also you wont win a super bowl with table scraps free agents either.

Patriots seem to do fine without many high priced free agents; who was the last one before Gilmore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is a difference when it is your own player. 

That doesn't make any sense. Dollar Bill's don't have feelings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 I would disagree in any profession.  I would take into account things like mgmt style of owner and GM, coaches, team mates, etc.  

 

 

So you are saying what is best for them in more money.  I just don't agree.

2

So given that is how you feel, what would you think if people called you names for that attitude?

 

To the bolded, people are acting like Collins did not take that into consideration.  Maybe he didn't want to play in a cover 2.  he knows the Redskins well, maybe he wanted to play in that organization.  Maybe he didn't chase the money, maybe the Colts offered him more but he'd rather play for the Redskins.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

How'd it work out for the Rams?

How is it working for Patriots?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

Because he said he won't get into a bidding war and overspend if he feels the deals are more than what the team are willing to pay. 

 

Yeah, I got you.  He's willing to spend, though.  Unfortunately winning a bidding war vs. Dan Snyder doesn't often happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...