Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The raiders are crazy. They are just throwing cash everywhere. They have three 1st rounders they need to build the team with the draft. They are trying to buy a SB.

like I said earlier, they're swinging for the fences for some reason.  History is not on their side when teams do this. Let's see what happens but man I am glad we didn't get Gruden as HC (I will eat my crow, I did want him the year prior to Pagano being fired)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

holy crap, no way is he getting that kind of cash

Not too surprising if only because Eric Berry is 30 and making $13M with tons of injury issues. And Reshad Jones is 31 and making $12M and had his own injury issues.

So if you're Thomas you start at $15M and then come down. And if you have to take less annually, you still put that $30M figure out there for total.

Probably won't get it but it gives you a strong starting point and shows teams you won't be taking some bargain offer so they do not waste their time.

8 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya will be linked to half of these guys and will probably sign a bunch of probably bums like Ryan Grant.

most likely. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Is there a certain amount that we Have to spend ?

nope

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

like I said earlier, they're swinging for the fences for some reason.  History is not on their side when teams do this. Let's see what happens but man I am glad we didn't get Gruden as HC (I will eat my crow, I did want him the year prior to Pagano being fired)

Outside of trading for big name players that's how I build my franchise haha trade your better players but players you dont want for some more draft picks and build your team. I wouldn't be signing all these fa though 

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Outside of trading for big name players that's how I build my franchise haha trade your better players but players you dont want for some more draft picks and build your team. I wouldn't be signing all these fa though 

Works in Madden perhaps

Just now, Superman said:

Meh. They're probably talking about the fully funded rule, and there's no doubt the Raiders are light on cash, but there's ways around that if they really want someone.

Yeah, I'm not fully up on the fully funded thing. I understand the rule, just not sure where the Raiders are sitting numbers wise.

19 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Is there a certain amount that we Have to spend ?

By rule, no. In practice, the Colts rolled forward $50m from 2018, and if they don't use it in 2019 it goes away, so I expect they'll use at least that much. So far, they've committed $12-15m in new money for 2019, then they'll probably use $10m to sign the draft class, so expect at least $25m in free agent cap spending. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I'm not fully up on the fully funded thing. I understand the rule, just not sure where the Raiders are sitting numbers wise.

Yeah we don't know their cash flow situation and I'm not interested enough to figure out how much they've fully guaranteed, but the short version of the rule is every dollar truly guaranteed at signing has to be placed in escrow. 

So if Bell wants three years, $45m, fully guaranteed, the Raiders would have to pay the $45m upon signing. Most of it goes in escrow and is paid on schedule. I could see that being hard for them to meet.

But the way around it is to stagger the guaranteed money. Roster bonus goes guaranteed on March 1 2020, another on Sept 1 2020, etc., etc. They could work it out if they wanted. Unless their 2-3 year cash flow is the issue... and that's possible, considering they have to bankroll a move to Vegas soon, they have an expensive lease to stay in Oakland in 2019, and they have to pay a relocation fee (although that's split over ten years), etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

So, if the Tampering period began at noon and there are already signings being announced, wasn't there some sort of tampering going on before noon?  I can't imagine a player/agent and team agreeing to something in less than an hour.

Tampering begins months before free agency. It heats up at the combine. Then it becomes 'legal' today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Watch out for the Bills.   Because they currently are not a preferred destination the will pay large to get a player they want.  They have in the past.

Williams is actually a great fit in BUF. Allen has a huge arm and likes to sling it. Foster and Williams working deep...and Jones working the intermediate. I hope they get him.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That trade would have truly ticked me off

Two 2s and a 3 for OBJ? I mean if both 2s are late...that's not a bad deal at all for a player of OBJ's talent.

Though I would much prefer to swap out a 2nd rounder for Brissett.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

By rule, no. In practice, the Colts rolled forward $50m from 2018, and if they don't use it in 2019 it goes away, so I expect they'll use at least that much. So far, they've committed $12-15m in new money for 2019, then they'll probably use $10m to sign the draft class, so expect at least $25m in free agent cap spending. 

Great explanation. Thank you

9 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

So, if the Tampering period began at noon and there are already signings being announced, wasn't there some sort of tampering going on before noon?  I can't imagine a player/agent and team agreeing to something in less than an hour.

They can talk amongst agents, just not the players themselves I believe

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Kwon got 4 years 54 million. He’s not all that special 

CJ definitely getting 13 to 16 million 

Wow. Let the market settle and see what they can get Jordan Hicks for. $14M/year for a LB like Alexander is a lot of money. 

8 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Kwon got 4 years 54 million. He’s not all that special 

CJ definitely getting 13 to 16 million 

I give up. I know nothing about anything to do with FA. How are those mediocre players getting signed to this type of deals? wth is happening? Ballard probably is sitting on the sidelines for the first round of contracts... understandably so. 

Just now, stitches said:

I give up. I know nothing about anything to do with FA. How are those mediocre players getting signed to this type of deals? wth is happening? Ballard probably is sitting on the sidelines for the first round of contracts... understandably so. 

Because the top 10 teams in salary cap had nearly 2 billion dollars they have to blow by the end of the 2020 league year. 

• Like 1