Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell rumor update

23 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I belong to several boards across college and pro (and a few tech years ago) that are both free and pay. And I've been a mod. Pay boards are definitely more structured/regulated. Free boards are a mixed bag. For instance a free CBB board I belong to is heads and tails more structured than this. 

Not trying to pick on CR91 specifically, but I think most would agree 19 threads in six months about the same guy is a little much. They have small variances, and they're just updates to the same topic (which is the potential of him being a Colt). If I ever wanted to look at Bell's history for instance of becoming a Colt, I'd have 19 threads to weed through.

Not a big deal. In short, some boards are different. You can also say "you get what you pay for". And in this case it's free.

You must be going to a different part of the internet that has different boards than me.

There are things that I think could be changed and/or improved here, but overall it is not a "mess" compared to most of the sports forums I have been to.

Some boards don't have a lot of duplicate posts, but many have tumbleweeds blowing through them and they only get a fraction of the activity this forum does.  Other boards are so structured and try to keep things so on topic that a lot of people often won't participate because the threads are too narrowly focused.

You could pin it, but than you have like 2 pages of pins before you get to non-pinned content. IMO over-pinning is worse than duplicate threads.

Also some threads may have start on one subject, but for whatever reason evolved into either something different or a very specific aspect about the player or subject of the original thread. Often these threads are very active and even though may have drifted from the original topic the discussion still is very active and often times the subject being discussed is interesting and worthwhile ... when threads like these get merged you lose the "sub-discussion".

IMO it's easier just to let any threads that don't get merged or locked to die on their own ... eventually they drift a few pages back and disappear if something important was in there someone will usually bump revive it.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

These analysts who think the colts are just going to throw money at anyone are really dumb. We don’t even need a RB. We have way more needs to spend money on. Rap was just throwing out names without any idea who might be Interested.

This is sort of subjective....  They have RB's on the roster, sure.  It's not as if the position is not one you could upgrade substantially though.  I doubt Bell will be a Colt..... but Ballard says you never turn a within reason opportunity for an upgrade down, and that you never stop looking at every opportunity to upgrade, just as much as he says he wants to build from within...  

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

These analysts who think the colts are just going to throw money at anyone are really dumb. We don’t even need a RB. We have way more needs to spend money on. Rap was just throwing out names without any idea who might be Interested.

1st, it isn't true because Rap didn't say it "on his twitter"

2nd, Rap said it on another format, and he's "just another analyst that is really dumb"

which is it?

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Do you mean, comb through one thread, or several threads on the same topic.... 

at least if it's one thread, you can catch up without constantly bouncing, and if you ever need to refer back to something, you don't have to look through 10 threads on the same topic to find a previous post.

There's a reason most boards have structure/content guidelines. All paid boards do, and most free as well. But if you prefer the wild west, that's fine too.

I read the titles of the threads....  then decide if I need to read it or not.  

That beats the hell out of boards like the KC Chiefs main board where there are threads 450 pages long, and the latest posts COULD be the most current news about the player named in the OP,   OR the most current posts could be referencing 2 year old crap about what that player was doing 2 years prior....

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some players can play into their 30's and have no problems in doing so but others drop off. I prefer someone who is 27 but that doesn't always mean better so I get it. I just remember when Andre Johnson came here and we paid him well and he played like a dud. Andre played like Hall of Famer with Houston before we signed him. 

I totally get this. So not saying it isn't a slippery slope.

That said, I was psyched when AJ signed. I did not see his drop off coming. But he was 34 that year. Tate doesn't turn 34 until basically what will be the end of a 3 year deal if that is what he signs.

That and AJ was a physical specimen who relied on his physical gifts to beat folks. He was big and fast and just killed the opposition physically.

Tate is not that kind of player. He is one of those guys I would expect to age fairly well since he relies on his route running and such to beat folks. He has never been the physical guy who just blazes past you or out-muscles you.

That all said, I am not against Ty Williams or Humphries or Crowder who are all in that 25-27 range. I think I just prefer Tate if all of the dollars are even.

If our goal is to potential draft a WR and add that pick to Cain and some combo/group of possibly Fountain, Rogers, Paschal and M.Johnson (all of which are aged 25 or under)then we already have a very young and green group other than Hilton. Those could be the young guys that develop while Hilton and a FA provided the impactful "now" veteran presences guys.

I guess I see value in a bunch of the available WRs this off-season if they are in the reasonable $8M or so a year range. If we have to pay over $10M a year for a guy then I want it to be a firm, stable commodity and Tate is probably my first choice there. Followed by Williams and Crowder who are less "sure things" but are guys with some untapped potential who have at least shown their abilities, although not consistently enough.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we need one thread starting tomorrow that includes all the speculation on the colts. So all the colts news is in one thread.

I just wish that all FA threads were to the FA forum. That is not what consistently happens. For instance, the Brown teamed with TY thread includes a Colt, so it gets left in the Colts forum. Unfortunately, some posters know this and may use titles so that thread gets left in the Colts forum. 

Btw, this is not a complaint at the Mods....they do one hell of a great job. If there was a vote, I would vote for all FA threads be moved to the FA forum, unless the FA is actually a Colt...no exceptions. I dont care what the possible Colt connection is....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I just wish that all FA threads were to the FA forum. That is not what consistently happens. For instance, the Brown teamed with TY thread includes a Colt, so it gets left in the Colts forum. Unfortunately, some posters know this and may use titles so that thread gets left in the Colts forum. 

Btw, this is not a complaint at the Mods....they do one hell of a great job. If there was a vote, I would vote for all FA threads be moved to the FA forum, unless the FA is actually a Colt...no exceptions. I dont care what the possible Colt connection is....

I agree, except.....  why would one care what forum their post is categorized as?  I see everyone post, in every forum....,

nothing to gain by having it in the Colts forum.... it's not like that's the "front page" or anything...

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Comoaring Wilkuans And Inman is a bad comp and you know it.

Inman is a possession guy...   a move the chains guy.   He’s going tibaverage likely 10-12 yards a catch.    

Williams has averaged nearly 16 yards a catch over the last 3 years.   He is one of only SIX wide receivers to do that in that time.   Williams is a deep threat.

The two are night and day.    Come on now.    If you want to make an argument that Williams is overpriced — fine.   Just make a better argument or comparison.    

But Williams is going to be paid, by us or some other team.   He will not have a shortage of offers.  

What the @!*&!

What langauge am I speaking?     If anyone here can figure out what the Hell I was trying to say,  please feel free to chime in,  or send my a private message --- your call.

(I actually do know what I was tryig to say....    I just can't believe I mangled a couple of words so badly they are unintelligible!    Ugh!    Sigh....)      :facepalm:

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What the @!*&!

What langauge am I speaking?     If anyone here can figure out what the Hell I was trying to say,  please feel free to chime in,  or send my a private message --- your call.

(I actually do know what I was tryig to say....    I just can't believe I mangled a couple of words so badly they are unintelligible!    Ugh!    Sigh....)      :facepalm:

I knew you meant "Comparing Williams and Inman...."so not all of us were totally confused :-P

• Thanks 1

If its true which i think it is, i dont think its real hard to see why Williams is one of their top choices. The coaching staff is very familiar with him. They already know what he can do in this offense and what he adds to the locker room. Williams will come in already well versed. He fits the type of explosive player we need. I dont see them passing that up for Golden Tate.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jdubu said:

What’s the right price for a position that is not a top 3 need? Do we pay 8 million a year with incentives? Do we sacrifice getting a RB at a huge price tag instead of getting a DE, DT, WR or safety, which are all much greater needs than a premadona RB? So what’s the “right” price going to look like to everyone? 

I couldn't agree more you're right on

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Ehhh....... The Colts could always offer not, you know, lying to the man about forcing him to play under a tag....

Players get tagged because they can't agree to a contract before it comes time to be tagged.

They want more money than the teams are willing to pay for. They get tagged because that is what was bargained for in the collective bargaining agreement. The ones who get tagged may not like it but when you are in a union, the majority rules. They want the protection of the union but don't want to follow what the majority bargained for.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Players get tagged because they can't agree to a contract before it comes time to be tagged.

They want more money than the teams are willing to pay for. They get tagged because that is what was bargained for in the collective bargaining agreement. The ones who get tagged may not like it but when you are in a union, the majority rules. They want the protection of the union but don't want to follow what the majority bargained for.

They sure do.  The Steelers however went on record PROMISING to Bell if he played under the tag in 2017..... that the team WOULD NOT tag him in 2018....

weighing each situation individually and all that you know?

28 minutes ago, Exodus said:

There was a rumor I saw that the Raiders were looking at forming a team with LB, AB, and Kyler Murray. The next month is going to be insane.

Maybe Gruden isn’t crazy after all. Doesn’t hurt either to have Mike Mayock as your GM to help access true value for these players 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

If its true which i think it is, i dont think its real hard to see why Williams is one of their top choices. The coaching staff is very familiar with him. They already know what he can do in this offense and what he adds to the locker room. Williams will come in already well versed. He fits the type of explosive player we need. I dont see them passing that up for Golden Tate.

Fingers heavily crossed for Williams. However,  even with the connections I’m concerned he me go the route of Poe if the money isn’t adding up. I think Chris may have to go deeper in the wallet for one or two folks. 

18 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Bob Barker says the price will not be right..... 

tenor.gif?itemid=4116049

18 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Randy Moss did the segment.  The reporter not the player.  Basically just said that the Colts have the most cap space (around 101 million).  Noted that Colts had the second most space last season but approached free agency conservatively signing guys like Denico Autry, Ebron, etc.  Talked about how that strategy paid off and how Colts were considered the team who did the best in free agency last year based on how their signings performed last season .

This tells me we have a good Pro Personnel Player department that supplies Ballard/Reich solid scouting/grading/value reports on free agents. And Ballard investigates further, makes sound decisions based off of them.

Pretty much said the question is how will Ballard play it this time...just because he has money to spend doesn’t mean the Colts will be flashy.  Said based on last year’s success Ballard should get the benefit of the doubt however he decides to play it this year.  He identified our main needs as defensive line, wide receiver.  Didn’t get into any rumors or possible players we are looking at.

He is on record as not being against bringing in big name FA's, but he will not break the bank to do so. (Thus very little chance to get Bell, IMO)  Not only does the price have to be right, they have to really get the 'putt close to the hole'...  as in character, fit, performance, etc..  Thus the Pro Personnel scouting and Brian Decker assessments need to be accurate. (as they can)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Fingers heavily crossed for Williams. However,  even with the connections I’m concerned he me go the route of Poe if the money isn’t adding up. I think Chris may have to go deeper in the wallet for one or two folks. 

We will see.  If he wants more than the value they have determined then I expect he won't be here which is fine by me.  If he's fine by where we've valued him then I expect he will be a Colt.

• Like 1

I don't think Ballard will bring him in.  

Again Ballard is pretty skeptical of big money outside free agent deals.   He doesn't write them off entirely but he's obviously skeptical of them.  

We're already pretty decent on RB.  We could maybe use a bit more depth but we arn't hurting there bad.  Bell wants a lot of money too.

To convince me that Ballard might sign Bell you are going to convince me that a guy who's already skeptical of big money outside free agents is going to suddenly start dropping that money on someone at a position that's not a position of strong need and didn't even play last year because he thought the franchise tag deal was unfair.  

9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Rather than discuss / complain about issues that may need moderator attention, why not use the Report post button on the Post(s) in question?  Moderators cannot/do not read every post in every thread.  We perform actions on reported posts, or those we run across while reading/participating in threads ourselves.

9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Report the post(s). Then it can be determined whether it needs to be moved or not.  Members can help keep the 'yard clean' by using the supplied tools- Report post or  PM a moderator.  We do not allow public discussion of moderation activities.  In fact, some of these posts I've just run across might get 'cleaned up' at some point now.  But leaving them for now and this reply will first serve to educate members on how to help create a better forum without further littering the yard with even more off topic posts/rants.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

Hopefully he does go deeper this year if he has to.  We were not real contenders when he tried for Poe or even Norwell or Jensen last year.  This year we are which should also help with player perceptions of our team.  If we really want a player we shouldn't be losing out to another team unless there offer is significantly higher and he doesn't want to go there.  This isn't the year to draw a line in the sand.  We should be flexible and willing to negotiate.  Especially with our cap.  A little more guaranteed?  Length of contract?  Total contract?  Negotiate.   Both sides win at the end.   I'm hoping for Williams too. 

Was Peyton the right price for the Colts during his later years in the league? Why must the best players in the NFL always be priced at a GoodWill price in order for the fans to want a player? But go to there job and tell the company that the fan needs to have a competitive market priced salary, in the best interest of the company. lol Do you want other people in your pockets when its time for you to get paid? 

Khalil Mack/ Amari Cooper/Antonio Brown/Le'Veon Bell (to name a few).

Why would any of the top players at there position (Including PM) want to take less to go to Indy?

I mean I love my team (Colts) but Im not for these Madden cheat codes that fans want players to sign for vet minimum (600k+ /yearly) for Khalil Mack, AB, Bell, etc..

No wonder PM left for greener pastures, and a number of other players didn't think to come to Indy. Pay the man! or you wont have a man!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Was Peyton the right price for the Colts during his later years in the league? Why must the best players in the NFL always be priced at a GoodWill price in order for the fans to want a player? But go to there job and tell the company that the fan needs to have a competitive market priced salary, in the best interest of the company. lol Do you want other people in your pockets when its time for you to get paid? 

Khalil Mack/ Amari Cooper/Antonio Brown/Le'Veon Bell (to name a few).

Why would any of the top players at there position (Including PM) want to take less to go to Indy?

I mean I love my team (Colts) but Im not for these Madden cheat codes that fans want players to sign for vet minimum (600k+ /yearly) for Khalil Mack, AB, Bell, etc..

No wonder PM left for greener pastures, and a number of other players didn't think to come to Indy. Pay the man! or you wont have a man!

Wish I could like this 100x’s

• Like 3

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully he does go deeper this year if he has to.  We were not real contenders when he tried for Poe or even Norwell or Jensen last year.  This year we are which should also help with player perceptions of our team.  If we really want a player we shouldn't be losing out to another team unless there offer is significantly higher and he doesn't want to go there.  This isn't the year to draw a line in the sand.  We should be flexible and willing to negotiate.  Especially with our cap.  A little more guaranteed?  Length of contract?  Total contract?  Negotiate.   Both sides win at the end.   I'm hoping for Williams too. 

Well said points. I have to be believe that we will be a bit more of an attractive destination this time around. Not necessarily because we have the cap, but because we have a better foundation and longer have question marks around our QB and head coach. But yes - a willingness to negotiate above all. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully he does go deeper this year if he has to.  

We should be flexible and willing to negotiate.  Especially with our cap.  A little more guaranteed?  Length of contract?  Total contract?  Negotiate.

They do.

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

Well said points. I have to be believe that we will be a bit more of an attractive destination this time around. Not necessarily because we have the cap, but because we have a better foundation and longer have question marks around our QB and head coach.

We are.

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

But yes - a willingness to negotiate above all. 

They do.  Up to limit.  I'll quote Ballard all day long. Because he has proven to be a man of his word-

“We place a value on every guy and we are going to be very disciplined in that regard

"We put a value on a player and when it gets out of our reach I just think we are comfortable enough to sleep at night saying we are going to find (another) answer. Sometimes it might not be the household name that everybody wants us to sign and that’s okay. I get it."

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, creid said:

Free agency starts tomorrow. If bell is mentioned with the colts then a thread will be started. Big deal who cares. Right now it's all just a bunch of fans having fun speculating and debating. It isn't as messy as you are implying. 

Yeah, who cares I don’t want to have to scroll through tons of post just to get breaking news if they don’t like it they don’t have to be on here.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:46 AM, Exodus said:

There was a rumor I saw that the Raiders were looking at forming a team with LB, AB, and Kyler Murray. The next month is going to be insane.

That Trifecta would be great.. I'd like to see that but I think Arizona drafts Murray and trades Rosen to the Cheaters for like a mif round pick.

That's a good scenario for the cheaters and things often break theirr way.

20 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They do.

We are.

They do.  Up to limit.  I'll quote Ballard all day long. Because he has proven to be a man of his word-

“We place a value on every guy and we are going to be very disciplined in that regard

"We put a value on a player and when it gets out of our reach I just think we are comfortable enough to sleep at night saying we are going to find (another) answer. Sometimes it might not be the household name that everybody wants us to sign and that’s okay. I get it."

The trouble with that is the "value" he's placing on players is "outdated"

The market is not what it used to be years ago. 

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The trouble with that is the "value" he's placing on players is "outdated"

How do you know their grading/value system?

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The market is not what it used to be years ago. 

It's more than just $$ as well, he's explained that multiple times. 

Besides, it's not happening for Bell to be a Colt-

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Colts are not pursuing Bell."

Other reportedly interested teams include the Jets, Ravens, Packers, Texans, and Bills.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/colts-arent-pursuing-leveon-bell/

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Besides, it's not happening for Bell to be a Colt-

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Colts are not pursuing Bell."

Other reportedly interested teams include the Jets, Ravens, Packers, Texans, and Bills.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/colts-arent-pursuing-leveon-bell/

Because we're not getting the top FA's

If it was more than just money why does he sign only the lower tier FA's?

Whatever criteria they have thats appealing the Top FA's don't? haha

The AFC South will be even more interesting/competitive if Bell goes to Texans.