Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brown to be traded to the raiders

I posted this in another thread but it makes sense to state it here too.

Good for the Raiders.

I (and many) thought Gruden was crazy when trading off Mack and Cooper. I still hate the Mack trade off. But tell me the Cooper move combined with this isn't solid?

They did not want to pay Amari Cooper. They take the money they would have used for Cooper and they get Brown.

Then they get a 1st for a 3rd and 5th. 

Cooper 3 and 5 for Brown and a 1 is just killer.

It almost makes up for them gifting a 3rd Rounder to the Steelers for M.Bryant lol.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I don’t see him and Gruden getting along for too long. Do you?

Who knows. Hard to discern how much of what he has been doing is an act vs. how he really is. Now that he got his way and has virtually no one to challenge him for target share...maybe it will be status quo. Of course...when they aren't winning...it could get ugly.

But I do know OAK is where WRs go to die right now. Gruden's system and Carr throwing the ball is not a recipe for success when it comes to fantasy football. 

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

Actually a good deal for the Colts if you believe the hype that Oakland was going to make a big move for Williams.  Makes it a bit easier for the Colts if they want him ?

I bet there will be a lot of teams wanting Williams. Browns were also linked to pursuing him.  The browns are doing a great job of trying to get that team back on track. Reminds me of Ballard getting rid of a lot of grigsons guys. But we play indoors for 8 games. Where would you want to play. In Indy or Cleveland. Luck or a guy that really hasn’t proven himself yet. A team that made the playoffs or missed the playoffs. If the colts want Williams we have a lot going for us to get him here.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I bet there will be a lot of teams wanting Williams. Browns were also linked to pursuing him.  The browns are doing a great job of trying to get that team back on track. Reminds me of Ballard getting rid of a lot of grigsons guys. But we play indoors for 8 games. Where would you want to play. In Indy or Cleveland. Luck or a guy that really hasn’t proven himself yet. A team that made the playoffs or missed the playoffs. If the colts want Williams we have a lot going for us to get him here.

Oh.. I agree. I'm sure it's not just the Colts and Browns left. My point was it does take out a team with plenty of cap room which plays on the west coast to boot.  If the Colts want Williams , they are going to have to OVERpay. This is the nature of free agency . Ballard can pull the trigger to address a real need or he can continue too not blow cap money chasing the better free agents. I think the fact that we made the playoffs by winning 9 of the last 10 will pull him a bit out of the rebuilding mode and it should also make the better FA's want to come and play here.

• Like 1

This is a great move by the Raiders. They got Brown at his fair market rate and didn't give up any top picks. As said earlier, they replace Cooper with a big upgrade for not significantly more $ than they would have had to pay Amari. I suspect AB will now have something to prove re his new rep of being unable to get along with his team mates. Look for a big year out of him. 

And it creates one less competitor out there for the Colts re the few decent free agent WRs available. A good outcome all around, except for the Steelers. Not a great day for them. 

12 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This is a great move by the Raiders. They got Brown at his fair market rate and didn't give up any top picks. As said earlier, they replace Cooper with a big upgrade for not significantly more $ than they would have had to pay Amari. I suspect AB will now have something to prove re his new rep of being unable to get along with his team mates. Look for a big year out of him. 

And it creates one less competitor out there for the Colts re the few decent free agent WRs available. A good outcome all around, except for the Steelers. Not a great day for them. 

I don't know if you can call it "great." They basically were the highest bidder ... much like signing free agent , the only real difference is they gave up a 3 and a 5. They pretty much did what no other team would do. You could be correct and it might be fine but IMO the Raiders didn't "outsmart" anyone with this signing. It's a lot of money for a 31year old WR with some baggage to boot. 

The real winner is Brown as he was able negate a 2017 extension from the Steelers. He gets 50 million over the next 3 years with over 30 mill guaranteed. That's 30 mill more guaranteed than he had with the Steelers. The big kicker here is that he already collected a 19 mill signing bonus in 2017. So say that's around 4 mill per year prorated going forward . That makes Brown getting upward of 20 mill per year. Pretty good for a 31 year old guy that walked out on his team ? 

11 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Amari Cooper is 24.  Antonio Brown is 30.

Gruden gonna Gruden.

:lol:

Brown is also significantly better player and they got him for a lot less than what they gained for Cooper.

He's just such a huge diva that there's no way of knowing he this pans out for the Raiders.

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Cooper > Brown

Uh, no my friend. 

Brown is the best receiver in the NFL. Whether or not it pans out is to be seen. But the Raiders got better today and the Steelers slipped again. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a gut feeling this trade will not help out either team. Pitt is losing Brown and Bell, Ben is aging. The Raiders stink. I would wager neither team is better than 8-8.

:agree:-- I think the Steelers will have a better record than the Raiders. Let's say Steelers 8-8 and the Raiders 6-10.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Uh, no my friend. 

Brown is the best receiver in the NFL. Whether or not it pans out is to be seen. But the Raiders got better today and the Steelers slipped again. 

His skill set might be top 3 in the NFL, but the drama drops his worth drastically in my books. 

18 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Amari Cooper is 24.  Antonio Brown is 30.

Gruden gonna Gruden.

:lol:

The Raiders got a 1 for Cooper.

They only gave up a 3 and a 5 for Brown.     Seems most everyone is calling it a steal for Oakland.

I wouldn't be laughing too hard.......          Just sayin.....

23 hours ago, Finball said:

Brown is also significantly better player and they got him for a lot less than what they gained for Cooper.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Raiders got a 1 for Cooper.

They only gave up a 3 and a 5 for Brown.     Seems most everyone is calling it a steal for Oakland.

Their #1 WR just lost 6 years.