Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to trade for Frank Clark?

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I am really starting to enjoy your posts.  They are the gifts that keep on giving. 

In one post you admit to not knowing the player and then in the next you are willing to trade a # 1 for him.  Oy vey.

Let me offer some tutelage.  This trade for a guy you don't know will not happen for the Colts' pick in the first round.  Will simply not happen.  

It was a question. I wasn’t saying saying we should. No reason to be so rude.

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the thing though. The draft is always a crap shoot. If you did trade for the first pick your getting someone already proven. Just a thought.

Then you give up a nice draft pick, pay the guy the big bucks, and he never lives up to the contract. This is also very common.
Hmmm! Ballard believes in building through the draft for a number of reasons.

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Then you give up a nice draft pick, pay the guy the big bucks, and he never lives up to the contract. This is also very common.
Hmmm! Ballard believes in building through the draft for a number of reasons.

That can happen with even a draft guy that plays well then you pay him and his play goes down hill. 

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the thing though. The draft is always a crap shoot. If you did trade for the first pick your getting someone already proven. Just a thought.

And you have paid your draft pick Pennies until that new contract. And because you have lived and worked with YOUR FA for 4 years, you should know exactly who and what you are getting in our locker room and in our system.
 The good news is it seems Clark needs to be dumped by them in a bad way so maybe we can do it. 
 Brissett, the 59, and something else might work. The guy just wants to be paid.
I am hoping CB values Preston Smith highly for us, and we can get him.
We keep all draft picks, Brissett, and ride that.

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Or how about we let CB try to add someone in FA that doesn't cost a draft pick.

A nice expose on why a team may let a pass rusher go.
 You folks that really don't follow FB closely really need to read and try to grasp this.
 https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/3/8/18257169/trading-frank-clark-makes-unfortunate-sense

Good article and well thought out.  It look like this is a trade that could actually happen.  Especially if it involves a player and a pick which makes it more palatable for us.  I could see Ballard walking away from Flowers, assuming we're interested of course, if his price becomes to large for him.  So now he has a choice to trade for a young all pro ER or sign one of the other less prominent ER's on the market and hope they are a surprise producer.  Interesting dilemma.  If we could hold onto our 26 and 34 and trade our 59, JB and if we have to our 4th. comp or some other pick I would do it.   If we could make this trade and also add a WR, most likely Williams and a safety, maybe even Collins what a great FA haul.  Three new starters and we keep our two high picks.  I would be very happy with that.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah, not a tradeable player then. Until he signs the tender.

I think the way it works is the Colts and Seahawks agree on a trade.  The Colts then are given permission to talk to Clarks agent and if they agree on a contract he signs the tag and is traded. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:00 PM, Irish YJ said:

Seahawks never denied it. Some little known dude from CBS sports said it didn't happen, but didn't name sources. The Globe IIRC stood by their story, and said the offer happened prior to that year's draft (when they had a 2nd round pick).

I strongly doubt it.  Seahawks have their starter, so it's not like JB would go in and start and who gives up a 2nd rounder for a backup QB?

• Like 1

I could see Clark being a legit trade target for the Colts.  Not saying a trade is eminent or even likely.... but we do have multiple front office personnel who are linked to Seattle.  They most likely have a strong rapport with more than one FO person still in Seattle...  Not to mention Ballard has gushed over the D Seattle built in the past.

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I could see Clark being a legit trade target for the Colts.  Not saying a trade is eminent or even likely.... but we do have multiple front office personnel who are linked to Seattle.  They most likely have a strong rapport with more than one FO person still in Seattle...  Not to mention Ballard has gushed over the D Seattle built in the past.

I think we have traded with them frequently in recent years as well.  So I can see this trade happening.  I think it might depend on how fast Flowers and the Smiths get deals in the next few days.  A lot of different ways for our search for an ER to end up.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think we have traded with them frequently in recent years as well.  So I can see this trade happening.  I think it might depend on how fast Flowers and the Smiths get deals in the next few days.  A lot of different ways for our search for an ER to end up.  

Yeah, it's the one position, other than maybe LT..... that I can see Ballard spending big money and or draft capital on....  especially when the guy is 25 and has improved significantly every one of his 4 years...  I'd give up a 2nd rounder easily for Clark....  and probably a late first...  Would you draft an amazing Edge Rusher who was 24 yrs old at 26?  I sure would....  so a proven guy in the league, and only 1 yr. older, albeit more expensive?  Hell yes.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the way it works is the Colts and Seahawks agree on a trade.  The Colts then are given permission to talk to Clarks agent and if they agree on a contract he signs the tag and is traded. 

37 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The trade cannot go through, but what they do is they work out the terms of the trade, then the player signs the tender and then the trade is official.

See, there's the rub.  The player has to agree to the terms of the deal, or no deal.

Now, a player in his situation won't agree to less than what the Franchise tag is ($17,128,00.00 for a DE)

as an agent will say if your willing to pay that for 1 year, then a multiyear deal of that (they'll actually ask for more)  price should be the minimum to work up from.

So the question is, will CB pay at least 17 million or more per year for him?  Depends upon the value/grade the Pro Personnel (Colts pro scouts) group and CB has placed him at.

“We place a value on every guy and we are going to be very disciplined in that regard”

"We put a value on a player and when it gets out of our reach I just think we are comfortable enough to sleep at night saying we are going to find (another) answer. Sometimes it might not be the household name that everybody wants us to sign and that’s okay. I get it."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

No to high of a price would not give the freaking Seahawks a 1st

The idea and it is probably wishful thinking was we keep our 1st the Jets 2nd. The Hawks were interested in JB so what if  we send him and our 2nd maybe the comp pick for Clark. The AB trade caused the excitement 

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I strongly doubt it.  Seahawks have their starter, so it's not like JB would go in and start and who gives up a 2nd rounder for a backup QB?

teams who have starting QBs who get the hell beat out of them might. IIRC, RW got sacked 50+ times last year. As a point of reference, Brady and Luck were around 20. not saying they offered a 2nd, but there obviously was talk and perhaps an offer.

I would LOVE to think that this was true, but I just don't see it.  BUT, if it were, and Clark would agree to go to Indy, and if Indy would agree to give him the deal he's looking for, then why couldn't the two teams agree and then Clark signs his tender and makes it official that he can be traded?  But, again, I think this is a moot point that is too good to be true.