Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to trade for Frank Clark?

Rumor Alert!! Per Chad Forbes of NFL Draft Bites, the Colts inquired about trading for DE Frank Clark if the Seahawks are willing to entertain trade talks. Keep in mind the Seahawks offered a 2nd rd pick to the colts for Jacoby Brisset last year before the draft. I think it would be a huge upgrade for the colts. Just a rumor, but what are you thoughts? 

Copied from Facebook.

4 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Rumor Alert!! Per Chad Forbes of NFL Draft Bites, the Colts inquired about trading for DE Frank Clark if the Seahawks are willing to entertain trade talks. Keep in mind the Seahawks offered a 2nd rd pick to the colts for Jacoby Brisset last year before the draft. I think it would be a huge upgrade for the colts. Just a rumor, but what are you thoughts? 

Copied from Facebook.

I appreciate that this is only a rumor...

But....

Why would Seattle be interested?       Not for Jacoby Brissett?     JB would never ever be the key piece in a deal for Frank Clark.    He'd be an addition.

So,  our first round pick and JB?    Why would Seattle do that?    They want Clark.   They can afford Clark.    How do they replace Clark if they move him?

Other than QB,  a pass rushing DE is perhaps the most coveted spot in football.     I don't see the upside for the Seahawks.....

We'll see if this shakes out,  but I'm not expecting anything to come of this rumor....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maniac said:

Copied from Facebook.

I believe it was later Denied that the seahawks offered a 2nd for Brissett

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate that this is only a rumor...

But....

Why would Seattle be interested?       Not for Jacoby Brissett?     JB would never ever be the key piece in a deal for Frank Clark.    He'd be an addition.

So,  our first round pick and JB?    Why would Seattle do that?    They want Clark.   They can afford Clark.    How do they replace Clark if they move him?

Other than QB,  a pass rushing DE is perhaps the most coveted spot in football.     I don't see the upside for the Seahawks.....

We'll see if this shakes out,  but I'm not expecting anything to come of this rumor....

I tend to agree with this, but saw it posted so thought I'd throw it up for discussion.

I mean Seattle did FTag him, so we can't assume things are going perfect there. It's always a head scratcher to me when a young guy coming off his rookie contract, just had his best year, is a stud, and they don't work out a long term deal?

Clark doesn't seem to mind, as he tweeted at Kwon Alexander trying to recruit him to Seattle just yesterday. But, there are a lot of rumors that Seattle are the ones shopping him.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Ok he is young at 25. Would the colts give up their first pick. All the good DE ends will be gone by the 26th pick. Since this guy is young it would be like getting a DE at that spot but a guy who has already proven himself. I think I would.

Not only would we lose a 1st round draft pick, we'd be paying a high price for either a one year rental (he's tagged), or a sign and trade long term contract. Lot's of money + high draft pick. There will be some decent pass rushers left at our first two picks. 

Keep in mind Clark was drafted late second round. He's proof that you can find studs after mid 1st. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Not only would we lose a 1st round draft pick, we'd be paying a high price for either a one year rental (he's tagged), or a sign and trade long term contract. Lot's of money + high draft pick. There will be some decent pass rushers left at our first two picks. 

Keep in mind Clark was drafted late second round. He's proof that you can find studs after mid 1st. 

We would defintly have to come up with a new contract  before trade  finalizing. Anyone who trades for a franchise tag player would do that. You would never take a guy as a rental.

12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Here is the thing though. The draft is always a crap shoot. If you did trade for the first pick your getting someone already proven. Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Seahawks never denied it. Some little known dude from CBS sports said it didn't happen, but didn't name sources. The Globe IIRC stood by their story, and said the offer happened prior to that year's draft (when they had a 2nd round pick).

That rumor came out in August after the 2018 draft. Seattle has no 2019 2nd pick, so believe what you want in regards to Brissett to Seattle. Seattle denied it and why a team with a franchise QB would’ve made that trade makes no sense, on top of having no 2nd pick to trade for him.

If, Brissett is still on the Colts roster in 2019, that pretty much reinforces it was nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Seahawks never denied it. Some little known dude from CBS sports said it didn't happen, but didn't name sources. The Globe IIRC stood by their story, and said the offer happened prior to that year's draft (when they had a 2nd round pick).

They didn't have a 2018 2nd round pick either. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the thing though. The draft is always a crap shoot. If you did trade for the first pick your getting someone already proven. Just a thought.

A rookie contract, if it works out, saves you a lot of money over a FA. That's why you see such a rush on Edge and pass rushing DLs in the draft. 

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

That rumor came out in August after the 2018 draft. Seattle has no 2019 2nd pick, so believe what you want in regards to Brissett to Seattle. Seattle denied it and why a team with a franchise QB would’ve made that trade makes no sense, on top of having no 2nd pick to trade for him.

If, Brissett is still on the Colts roster in 2019, that pretty much reinforces it was nonsense.

When it was reported is really irrelevant. And Seattle didn't deny it. Ballard is the one that actually denied it. He denied though it was second rounder, he did not deny there was an offer. The words he used tells me some kind of offer was made.

10 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

They didn't have a 2018 2nd round pick either. 

Seattle traded/upgraded/downgraded 4 of their picks that year IIRC. What they had when whatever offer was or wasn't made, might not be what they expected to have, or what they ended up with. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The key is they're not looking for a STARTING quarterback.     They might be looking for a back-up.

Russell Wilson is their starting QB.

When you have a QB like RW, who gets sacked a ton (he was sacked 51 times last year), you need  a quality back up, and one you expect to play a lot of snaps. And, one that fits your system. Their back up need vs a need like ours is much greater.

For comparison, Brady was sacked 21 times, Luck 18.

31 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Seattle traded/upgraded/downgraded 4 of their picks that year IIRC. What they had when whatever offer was or wasn't made, might not be what they expected to have, or what they ended up with. 

They had traded the 2018 2nd rounder for Sheldon Richardson prior to 2017 and the 2019 2nd rounder for Duane Brown halfway through 2017. So if they offered a 2nd rounder like you say, before the 2018 draft it could only have been a 2020 2nd rounder which is highly doubtful. 

23 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

They had traded the 2018 2nd rounder for Sheldon Richardson prior to 2017 and the 2019 2nd rounder for Duane Brown halfway through 2017. So if they offered a 2nd rounder like you say, before the 2018 draft it could only have been a 2020 2nd rounder which is highly doubtful. 

What I'm saying is that it could have been for a future, but also could have been for a potential pick they might have gotten in another trade (in order to get different pick). They were very active, and are very active traders. 

Not saying it was a second rounder at all. I just believe there was talk, and an offer. And I also believe Seattle was, and is looking. Hell, the talking heads and fans are already asking if RW is worth a new contract. % happens in the NFL :-)

48 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

When you have a QB like RW, who gets sacked a ton (he was sacked 51 times last year), you need  a quality back up, and one you expect to play a lot of snaps. And, one that fits your system. Their back up need vs a need like ours is much greater.

For comparison, Brady was sacked 21 times, Luck 18.

That's fine.    I get it.    

Again, I'm only saying that if there's any truth to their rumor,  then JB is not the key piece in this deal.    Seattle is not trying a top RDE for a back-up quarterback,  no matter how good.   So, it's a high draft pick or picks plus JB for any deal to take place.

Otherwise,  it's fantasy land.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Clark was kicked off the Michigan football team for DV and MIC charges for a hotel fight with his girlfriend Then he didn’t come off well explaining himself. That played a big role in his draft selection. The Hawks took heat for drafting him. I remember a riff between he and Sherman while in Seattle.  

There were a lot of red flags so Clark may not be a locker room fit to begin with. If he checks out with Ballard as far as locker room  and agrees to a new deal.  He is what we need on the edge. 

If Seattle is all about JB maybe we send him and our 2nd for Clark. That probably isn’t enough but I’d explore a trade. I hear the Bills have inquired about Clark 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's fine.    I get it.    

Again, I'm only saying that if there's any truth to their rumor,  then JB is not the key piece in this deal.    Seattle is not trying a top RDE for a back-up quarterback,  no matter how good.   So, it's a high draft pick or picks plus JB for any deal to take place.

Otherwise,  it's fantasy land.

I agree, but I've also seen stranger things. Seattle is absolutely looking for a BUQB. They also don't have a lot of cap room. Wilson and Clark are huge hits. If Seattle doesn't see themselves signing Clark to a big long term next year, they may be trying to move him now while they can. It will just be harder and more expensive if they try to tag him for a second year. 

He's (Clark) a second rounder, so I could see them perhaps taking JB, and a second and third, for Clark. That would open up cap, give them a BUQB that they need, give them a second (that they don't have), and another 3rd. If you look at their top needs, it's DE, OL, and CB. They might just give up Clark to clear cap and address their top 3 needs (all are high dollar positions you want to address in the draft), plus get a BUQB.

I could see them dropping Paxton Lynch quick (zero guarantee). f

But, who knows :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Never heard of Chad Forbes. He credible?

Not very. 

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Not really, he's just another Draft talking head on twitter. He tries to connect dots but doesnt have any inside info usually.

Yah... seems like he makes stuff up regularly. There was an article somewhere about all the made up stuff/connecting dots he posts about. Also reporters with some actual reputation have called him out on his 'reporting'.. he seems like NFL draft's Brad Wells:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/2/8/18217442/teammates-former-teammates-and-insiders-respond-to-false-accusations-made-against-matt-paradis

Also I just checked and I'm ashamed to say I've posted stuff from him in the past when I didn't know about his reputation, too... like the Anthony Hitchens to Colts rumor... which turned false too. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Clark was kicked off the Michigan football team for DV and MIC charges for a hotel fight with his girlfriend Then he didn’t come off well explaining himself. That played a big role in his draft selection. The Hawks took heat for drafting him. I remember a riff between he and Sherman while in Seattle.  

There were a lot of red flags so Clark may not be a locker room fit to begin with. If he checks out with Ballard as far as locker room  and agrees to a new deal.  He is what we need on the edge. 

If Seattle is all about JB maybe we send him and our 2nd for Clark. That probably isn’t enough but I’d explore a trade. I hear the Bills have inquired about Clark 

There's enough news going around, I think it's safe to say they are shopping him.

I do worry about the off field stuff, but as far as I know, he's kept a low profile since. He definitely looks to be putting in the work. 

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Never heard of Chad Forbes. He credible?

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

And, with AB going to the Raiders for a 3rd and 5th... nothing would surprise me.

My barista is reporting that the Colts will acquire Aaron Donald for a 6th round pick. :nose:

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Not very. 

Yah... seems like he makes stuff up regularly. There was an article somewhere about all the made up stuff/connecting dots he posts about. Also reporters with some actual reputation have called him out on his 'reporting'.. he seems like NFL draft's Brad Wells:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/2/8/18217442/teammates-former-teammates-and-insiders-respond-to-false-accusations-made-against-matt-paradis

Also I just checked and I'm ashamed to say I've posted stuff from him in the past when I didn't know about his reputation, too... like the Anthony Hitchens to Colts rumor... which turned false too. 

Everybody had the Kitchens to the Colts rumor.    There was likely some truth in it.

You don't know if the KC offer he accepted was came late and surprised us.    You don't know if he was one of the players who turned us down because he was unsure about the future of Andrew Luck?   

Getting a report like that wrong isn't the worst thing imaginable.    But if you get TOO MANY such reports wrong,  THEN you have a credibility problem.    Like Jason LaConfora.    Doesn't mean everything he says is wrong.   But too high a percentage for many here....

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Not very. 

I read that story with everyone rushing to defend Matt Paradis and it makes me want to take a shower!    How is someone that spectacularly wrong?!?      He didn't miss by a little,  he missed by light years!     Ugh!  

This is the kind of stuff that makes players HATE the media!     :facepalm:

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Everybody had the Kitchens to the Colts rumor.    There was likely some truth in it.

You don't know if the KC offer he accepted was came late and surprised us.    You don't know if he was one of the players who turned us down because he was unsure about the future of Andrew Luck?   

Getting a report like that wrong isn't the worst thing imaginable.    But if you get TOO MANY such reports wrong,  THEN you have a credibility problem.    Like Jason LaConfora.    Doesn't mean everything he says is wrong.   But too high a percentage for many here....

Yeah, that's not the only one. He has numerous obviously false reports. There was a OBJ to Oakland rumor from him last year, there was Suh to Colts rumor last year, etc... in general he throws a lot of things at the wall and waits to see if anything sticks. He was also the one that put the Brissett to Miami rumor out this month. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's not the only one. He has numerous obviously false reports. There was a OBJ to Oakland rumor from him last year, there was Suh to Colts rumor last year, etc... in general he throws a lot of things at the wall and waits to see if anything sticks. He was also the one that put the Brissett to Miami rumor out this month. 

Well...    if he's only reporting it as a  rumor,  then he's on safe ground...

But if he's reporting a rumor as fact,  then he's in trouble.    Honestly,  I dont pay close enough attention to him to know one way or another.    I mostly know he has a bad reputation here with Colts fan,  so I don't put too much stock in him.

I'm only speaking broadly and generally....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ok he is young at 25. Would the colts give up their first pick. All the good DE ends will be gone by the 26th pick. Since this guy is young it would be like getting a DE at that spot but a guy who has already proven himself. I think I would.

I am really starting to enjoy your posts.  They are the gifts that keep on giving. 

In one post you admit to not knowing the player and then in the next you are willing to trade a # 1 for him.  Oy vey.

Let me offer some tutelage.  This trade for a guy you don't know will not happen for the Colts' pick in the first round.  Will simply not happen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it was Ben Volin of the Boston Globe who had the report of JB to the Seahawks last year.  He's still there I believe.  This year it's LaCanfora and now Forbes saying we are inquiring about Clark.  Supposedly we are also inquiring about Ford.  I can see us having these talks.  We have the connections with Dobbs at Seattle and Ballard at KC.  We can all guess on the compensation.  Most everyone assumes it has to be a 1st.  I really have my doubts on that.  I'm in the camp that is thinking a player and a pick.  JB the most obvious candidate.  I would prefer Clark over Ford but either would be great additions.  No one knows what Ballard is thinking.  We might be trying for Flowers and if we lose out this trade could be another path to follow.  Who knows.  I would be surprised if we traded a 1st for him but a player and a lower pick I could see happening.  

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it was Ben Volin of the Boston Globe who had the report of JB to the Seahawks last year.  He's still there I believe.  This year it's LaCanfora and now Forbes saying we are inquiring about Clark.  Supposedly we are also inquiring about Ford.  I can see us having these talks.  We have the connections with Dobbs at Seattle and Ballard at KC.  We can all guess on the compensation.  Most everyone assumes it has to be a 1st.  I really have my doubts on that.  I'm in the camp that is thinking a player and a pick.  JB the most obvious candidate.  I would prefer Clark over Ford but either would be great additions.  No one knows what Ballard is thinking.  We might be trying for Flowers and if we lose out this trade could be another path to follow.  Who knows.  I would be surprised if we traded a 1st for him but a player and a lower pick I could see happening.  

Not every rumor is to be believed.  The JB to the Seahawks last year never got close to passing the smell test.  A 2nd round pick for a guy who is destined to be their back up QB?  That dog don't hunt.  Plus it was discounted.

These Ford and Clark rumors are exactly that and likely put out by agents looking to drive up the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2