Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Couple thoughts heading into next week

Legend of Luck

Hard to believe that Free Agency starts in less than a week. I have a few thoughts as we head into that process.

1. On our need for WR2- I'm genuinely excited about a number of day 2 WR's in this year's class, especially Hakeem Butler, N'Keal Harry, and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. I would be much happier grabbing one of them in the 2nd, rather than fill that need with any FA player. The exception to that may be Tyrell Williams, but his price tag may be too steep. If push comes to shove, I'd prefer to fill other needs in FA, and address WR2 in the draft.

2. On our need for pass rush- On the opposite side, I think we need to, at least partially, address pass rush in FA. Looking at the way the board falls, it's very easy to imagine most, if not all of the high end pass rushers are gone by 26. There will definitely be some talent in the later rounds, but we all want (and know that Ballard wants) an impact pass rusher who can contribute THIS YEAR. To ensure we get that, we may need to bring in FA at a higher price tag. Good thing we have astronomical cap space.

3. Safety- As I stated in another post, this is a must fill in free agency position. The league has devalued that position recently, so there are TONS of starters available, who should come at reasonable prices. If we can't land Landon Collins, as we all are hoping for, there are definitely a lot of other good options available.

On Antonio Brown- I don't think he's handled this situation as well as he could have, but I also think the notion of him being a "locker room cancer" are overblown. No one ever said a bad thing about Antonio before this year. All of his teammates outside of Big Ben love him. They all say he's the hardest worker they've ever played with. As it relates to the COLTS, I think it could be a good thing if Ballard made a move to acquire him. Doubt that it happens, but if Ballard pulls the trigger, I trust him, I'm not going to worry about the locker room. I think Brown will be fine.

• Like 2

No to brown. He wants to be the highest paid receiver. We are not paying him 18m a year. With Tyreek Hill getting a record contract that is what It is going to take. All you have to do is listen to that interview with him and all he talks about is himself. He is a me me guy. We need a team player. 

I am concerned with the safety and CB situation. We will see how that plays out.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Hard to believe that Free Agency starts in less than a week. I have a few thoughts as we head into that process.

1. On our need for WR2- I'm genuinely excited about a number of day 2 WR's in this year's class, especially Hakeem Butler, N'Keal Harry, and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. I would be much happier grabbing one of them in the 2nd, rather than fill that need with any FA player. The exception to that may be Tyrell Williams, but his price tag may be too steep. If push comes to shove, I'd prefer to fill other needs in FA, and address WR2 in the draft.

2. On our need for pass rush- On the opposite side, I think we need to, at least partially, address pass rush in FA. Looking at the way the board falls, it's very easy to imagine most, if not all of the high end pass rushers are gone by 26. There will definitely be some talent in the later rounds, but we all want (and know that Ballard wants) an impact pass rusher who can contribute THIS YEAR. To ensure we get that, we may need to bring in FA at a higher price tag. Good thing we have astronomical cap space.

3. Safety- As I stated in another post, this is a must fill in free agency position. The league has devalued that position recently, so there are TONS of starters available, who should come at reasonable prices. If we can't land Landon Collins, as we all are hoping for, there are definitely a lot of other good options available.

On Antonio Brown- I don't think he's handled this situation as well as he could have, but I also think the notion of him being a "locker room cancer" are overblown. No one ever said a bad thing about Antonio before this year. All of his teammates outside of Big Ben love him. They all say he's the hardest worker they've ever played with. As it relates to the COLTS, I think it could be a good thing if Ballard made a move to acquire him. Doubt that it happens, but if Ballard pulls the trigger, I trust him, I'm not going to worry about the locker room. I think Brown will be fine.

a week?! Heck, it starts Monday!! (the legal tampering period that is).  SO excited.  Even if we don't swing for the fences or make super deals and are relatively quiet, this is my favorite time of year NFL wise!

• Like 3

-I sincerely hope we do not overpay for T. Williams, for the reason mentioned by the OP, draft talent. For the right price though...

-Ive come around to the idea of Bell. Mack, Bell, and Wilkins with Hines catching passes out of the backfield would vault us into a top tier group and take a lot of pressure off Luck.

-I would be thrilled if we got either CJ Mosley or Landon Collins, either player would make our defense better.

-Tre Flowers should be our #1 target

It should be one of the most exciting free agencies we have had in a while. Players want to play here after last season and we have a ton of cap space.

• Like 2

I'd like the WR2 (Willams or Funchess) filled via free agency.

Edge rusher (Smith, Flowers, Fowler) filled via free agency.

Safety (Collins, Amos, Clinton-Dix) filled via free agency.

Draft a DT, UT, CB, WR, Edge and Safety to groom behind current talent and/or free agents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

-I sincerely hope we do not overpay for T. Williams, for the reason mentioned by the OP, draft talent. For the right price though...

-Ive come around to the idea of Bell. Mack, Bell, and Wilkins with Hines catching passes out of the backfield would vault us into a top tier group and take a lot of pressure off Luck.

-I would be thrilled if we got either CJ Mosley or Landon Collins, either player would make our defense better.

-Tre Flowers should be our #1 target

It should be one of the most exciting free agencies we have had in a while. Players want to play here after last season and we have a ton of cap space.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Colts to acquire Bell if I were you.

I know we have money but I just don't see Ballard spending that much money on a RB when we already have one of the better RBs and one of the better running teams in the league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know we have money but I just don't see Ballard spending that much money on a RB when we already have one of the better RBs and one of the better running teams in the league.

Im not holding my breath, i know Ballard "probably" won't go after him. Just saying if by chance he landed with us i wouldn't be upset

• Like 1

I cannot post a main topic for some reason but I have to mention the Bell situation. 

The colts not acquiring this Running back will be a major mistake,

they will not get another chance to acquire a player like him, at his age, proven skill level, the current cap room, spend zero draft capital and without having to give anything up in personnel for another decade maybe ever. Not to  mention he wants to play here. 

I really like what Ballard has done so far, I do give the credit where its due, But from the outside their opinion on bell so far seems arrogant and unjustly dismissive. 

I believe GM's and coaches can get too desensitized with everything they have to deal with to see this situation as clearly as needed given the circumstance. 

Bell and Mack would highly likely be the best 1,2 Rb combination in the league for the next 3 years, perhaps longer. 

I like our squad right now but no one is guaranteed to stay healthy all season. shoring up the RB squad will allow our TE's and WR's to flourish to land a solid WR drafted or FA player. 

I think a lot of issues on the defensive side would be fixed with a better, more consistent pass rush. When we have to blitz to get pressure, that can be an issue. If a qb has all day to throw against zone, it is going to be rough. I think Ballard will get it fixed. I believe the pass rush enhances every other position group in the defense that we run.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

But does Antonio think living in Indianapolis is fine.

I cant see him in Indy or Green Bay...…

His non-QB teammates love him because he doesn't complain to them about not getting the ball.

Plus Antonio will be 31 before next season.

.I'd look to replace Ballard if we signed Brown..after preaching 'team' and 'family'.

This isn't going to happen

Landon Collins..age 26.....is a prime target

There's not a better fit

..how about Shaq Barrett from Denver..age 26 a good pass rusher

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

colts were 16th in rushing yards and 21st in ypc 

4 yards per carry isnt what it used to be, all but 3 or 4 teams hit that last year and the others were around 3.9.  the last two super bowl winners were both top 5 in rushing yards

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

colts were 16th in rushing yards and 21st in ypc 

4 yards per carry isnt what it used to be, all but 3 or 4 teams hit that last year and the others were around 3.9.  the last two super bowl winners were both top 5 in rushing yards

I think you have to take the 1-5 start and separate it from the second half of the season. We had a lot of injuries during that six game stretch at the beginning.  If marlin can play all 16 games he will be a top 5 back. 

• Like 1

The best part of the season starts Monday. We get to see our fanbase lose their minds when they start reporting on signings..

Example: dude go get player A, he'll cost 3 years 30mill, we got money..

Then player A signs for 3 years 60mill and we see... Oh forget that I wouldn't pay that... After clamoring for that player like they were their agents for the last 3 months... Lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

The best part of the season starts Monday. We get to see our fanbase lose their minds when they start reporting on signings..

Example: dude go get player A, he'll cost 3 years 30mill, we got money..

Then player A signs for 3 years 60mill and we see... Oh forget that I wouldn't pay that... After clamoring for that player like they were their agents for the last 3 months... Lol

All I want is if there is a player that can make a difference and fits in with our culture for Ballard to at least try and get them.  I hope we can get a couple bigger free agents to help this team.  

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

All I want is if there is a player that can make a difference and fits in with our culture for Ballard to at least try and get them.  I hope we can get a couple bigger free agents to help this team.  

Obviously, but for me it's great seeing people complain when we don't sign a guy and some team hands out a stupid contract.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, csmopar said:

a week?! Heck, it starts Monday!! (the legal tampering period that is).  SO excited.  Even if we don't swing for the fences or make super deals and are relatively quiet, this is my favorite time of year NFL wise!

Last year the Colts were very quiet that first week.  It will be interesting to see if Ballard follows the same pattern this time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

1. WR - I want to resign Dontrelle Inman and draft our WR #2. 

2. DL - Definitely address in free agency AND the draft.  Wouldn't mind Trey Flowers or Dee Ford (if he is available, not sure)  This needs to be a first round or 1st second round selection.

3. Safety-  I really like Amos.  Young, a hitter and better in man to man coverage than Landon Collins. 

4. Antonio Brown - No thanks...we don't need him. I never cared for his diva ways since I saw that video with him separated from the rest of his team and recording himself in self adulation in the locker room during Mike Tomlin's post game speech.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

I think when AB said in an interview recently that he doesn’t need football .... that pretty much doomed him with CB if he wasn’t on thin ice already 

• Like 1

To add to my AB comments...

There are definitely some red flags. If we take a hard pass on him, I'm 100% ok with that. 

But, if Ballard does, in some crazy fantasy world, decide to bring him in, I'm gonna trust that Ballard did his homework, spoke to teammates and coaches, had some conversations with AB himself about what we as an organization need from him, etc. That sort of thing.

By no means am I calling for it or even saying it's a sure-fire, no brainer good idea, just that if it WERE to happen, I trust Ballard.

53 minutes ago, Vexed said:

I think when AB said in an interview recently that he doesn’t need football .... that pretty much doomed him with CB if he wasn’t on thin ice already 

Actually he said he doesn't need the NFL. That's different than football because there are other ways to be involved in the game of football outside of the NFL.    He  has enough money that he feels he really doesn't have to play for a NFL team if he doesn't want to.  Still...your point stands that Ballard won't touch anyone who feels that way and verbalizes it.  It would make Ballard look like a hypocrite to sign Brown after all of his talk about building the right locker room culture.  And as Ballard has said repeatedly, the locker room is always watching.  Brown with his current mentality just doesn't fit in with that.

• Thanks 1

I can see Ballard signing a couple this first week. Everyone seems to want to twist his words when it comes to FA. If there is a high character guy out there that will help this team he will try to get them. Tyrell Williams is a guy the coaches know and  seems like a great guy. I think making the playoffs did change things a little bit. He isn’t going to go out and sign a bunch of high priced guys. But I can see him signing a couple this next week to fill holes if they fit what we are doing here.

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Last year the Colts were very quiet that first week.  It will be interesting to see if Ballard follows the same pattern this time.

I think he'll sign either Collins , Williams or Flowers in the first week. This year is different as we are contenders and not re-builders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I heard that tomorrow we will start to see stuff leaked on who is pursuing who. Does anyone know if that is correct? I thought I heard nfl network would be live most of the day.

My money would be on that happening Monday, which is when the "legal tampering period" begins. Tomorrow would be really nice though lol, as I am very anxious to see how this all plays out.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside fan--not sure he will still be available when we pick

Wide range of opinions on JJ

I see a guy that has very little separation but can box our the DBs in college

I worry that a guy like that will not get open in the pros

I see him going in round three or even four, due to this

My early crush was on Butler as a WR.   The drops he had are starting to scare me

And........ I think he wont make it to our 2nd pick in the second round

I DO think that a receiver that MAY be available at our 2nd, 2nd pick, is Parris Cambell

HE catches everything and has blazing breakaway speed

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

To add to my AB comments...

There are definitely some red flags. If we take a hard pass on him, I'm 100% ok with that. 

But, if Ballard does, in some crazy fantasy world, decide to bring him in, I'm gonna trust that Ballard did his homework, spoke to teammates and coaches, had some conversations with AB himself about what we as an organization need from him, etc. That sort of thing.

By no means am I calling for it or even saying it's a sure-fire, no brainer good idea, just that if it WERE to happen, I trust Ballard.

Only way I think that happens is if it's a Jim move honestly. Then he's starting to act like his dad which would be a bad thing.

That would be a huge shock to me honestly if Ballard did that. SO FAR, Ballard seems to have some Polian in him which I think is good, extra cautious not to ruin the locker room.

Every season you hear of teams that have had issues in the locker room and they're usually losing teams. 

• Like 1

People say we were quiet, but the first day of free agency we were already linked to working out a deal for Denice Autry. 

Ballard said that was one of his biggest targets in free agency. This year, our team is 5 steps ahead of where we were last year, and i think he targets a few more of his big targets as the time is now. 

Antonio Brown traded to Oakland Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021716/article/steelers-to-trade-antonio-brown-to-raiders-who-won-who-lost

Antonio Brown's plan to escape Pittsburgh and get a new contract came to fruition just after midnight early Sunday when the Steelers and the Oakland Raiders agreed to terms on a trade, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The Steelers will receive a third-round and fifth-round pick in next month's draft in exchange for one of the defining receivers of his generation. Brown will also get a reworked contract with significant new money and brand new guarantees.

Brown's new contract is for three years and $50.125M with a maximum value of $54.125M, according to Rapoport. (That's roughly $12 million more than his old contract called for.) He will receive $30.125M guaranteed, which is $30.125M more than he was due to receive from the Steelers. Brown even managed to first break the news of the deal with a fancy photoshop on Instagram.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:17 PM, Legend of Luck said:

I agree almost 100% on points 1-3

We NEED help in these positions

I dont lose sleep over an extra 1 or 2 mil per year at a very short group of needed players.

The salaries ARE rapidly rising in the NFL...... a good deal.......  2 years ago, isnt getting it done today.

Top WRs want.... and are starting to get....... $18 Mil per year.....  8 WRs are over $15 mil

AB just got reportedly near $20 mil per year

If we go FA at Safety, we dont have to use early draft capitol to replace. 

To your 4th point, is now a moot point..... but I dont like anyone who quits on a team, with the playoffs on the line.  I dont like his openly, "me first" attitude at all.

Gruden wasnt thinking on this one.........  

• Like 1