Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Jordan Wilkins Overlooked?

coltsfeva

5.6 yards per rush

5.3 yards per reception (which may have been hampered by our less than average rb screen game)

Any time I’ve heard national media talk about the Colts’ run game, they mention only Mack and Heines. Wilkins had some decent runs last year, showing some good vision and elusiveness.

Do you think he’s being overlooked nationally and/or by Colts fans?

Does he make the final 53?

What’s your thoughts on #20?

He's got a fatal flaw that unless corrected will doom his NFL career.  Fumbleitis.  

If he was more secure with the ball I think he would legit split reps with Mack.  

But there is a reason that the number of carries he had was limited.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Wilkins a lot, just has to fix the fumbling issue before it becomes too big a problem. Which is weird because he had a really good fumble rate in college, but he definitely seems to hold the ball loosely at times.

I tried to find an article I recently read about it, that the coaches knew it was a problem and were working to fix it throughout the season. Would explain why he stopped getting carries for a long stretch toward the end of the season. Couldn't find the article though.

Wilkins is good he has a role. honestly could get 3 more caries than hines and i’d be happy 

Mack - 15 carries 

Wilkins - 8, carries our strongest runner imo

Hines - 5 carries *should be used strictly like Reggie Bush in NO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

5.6 yards per rush

5.3 yards per reception (which may have been hampered by our less than average rb screen game)

Any time I’ve heard national media talk about the Colts’ run game, they mention only Mack and Heines. Wilkins had some decent runs last year, showing some good vision and elusiveness.

Absolutely he is overlooked. 

He ran pretty well at the beginning of the year when we were starting our "B" offensive line.

When he ran (quite a bit less) after the real offensive line was starting he ran even better with minimal touches.

In addition to that, he played well on special teams coverage too.

Another off-season and training camp and he'll likely have his 2 perceived weaknesses corrected - fumbles and pass pro.

He isn't going anywhere in my opinion.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

I don't remember a boat load of fumbles. How many did he have? I suppose 1 is to many for a third string back though.

its not that he had a lot, its that they were bad fumbles.  the defenders didnt make great plays and knock it out, he dropped it when he shouldnt have

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

5.6 yards per rush

Wilkins is fine where he is,a third stringer,but by no means is he that good.

I've wondered the same thing.  

My thoughts are they wanted Mack to get his touches and Hines was very versitile..:: especially for a rookie.  I think Reichs offense loves that type rb.

Perhaps wilkins wasnt ready for pass blocking.  Im not sure really.  He looked up ked good to me when he got touches.  To my eye test , he reminds me alot of Mack actually:

Do i remember him having some drops early, or was he banged up?  Im a lil confused we didnt see more of him either.  Especially late in games.

Wilkins is a decent backup. And will likely spend his career in that role. He doesn’t have the speed or wiggle for a starting role in the NFL. But he has talent; as others have said he makes positive yards almost every time he touches the ball. His limited touches were reduced even further by a couple of untimely fumbles. But if he cleans that up, he can have a nice career in the NFL. As a backup. He’ll be back next year. 

No, he's not overlooked. He is what he is.

There's a old saying in football: "RB's are a Dime a Dozen".

That saying describes most backs we've had since Edge. It most definitely also describes Wilkins.

Give him a hole and he will get some yards. But he's not a playmaker/gamechanger or a #1RB.

Every NFL check he receives he and his family probably greatly appreciate it. I doubt he ever makes much more than the rookie/vet minumum. 

If he gets injured or cut a RB off the street could easily replace his production.

Having said all that he did look decent last year at times. I doubt Ballard upgrades our RB group much if any, so I think he has a good chance at being RB#4. Which is ok with me. I wouldn't want him any higher than that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That saying describes most backs we've had since Edge. It most definitely also describes Wilkins.

Give him a hole and he will get some yards. But he's not a playmaker/gamechanger or a #1RB.

Every NFL check he receives he and his family probably greatly appreciate it. I doubt he ever makes much more than the rookie/vet minumum. 

If he gets injured or cut a RB off the street could easily replace his production.

Having said all that he did look decent last year at times. I doubt Ballard upgrades our RB group much if any, so I think he has a good chance at being RB#4. Which is ok with me. I wouldn't want him any higher than that.

Wilkens can play ball. I think you are being a bit harsh. 

He's definitely got talent and is in the mix. He's gotta produce and play well because I could easily see him as the odd man out if a RB comes in and plays well. Hines and Mack are locks, he's not.

7 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I like Wilkins. I think he has a lot of potential to be a very solid RB2. However, at this point, the answer is no. He reminds me a lot of Dominic Rhodes, don’t ask why. 

Both are one cut downhill runners. I can see the similarities.

• Like 1

Ballard says if you aren’t prototypical you need to be really good at one thing.   Wilkins. needs to find his niche. His vision might be that one thing but he needs to be able to convert yardage when there isn’t much room and he needs to NEVER fumble it Or he won’t last long. 

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What a ridiculous thing to say.

He needs to keep doing what he is doing and opportunity will come his way.  Mack will suffer injuries like most backs do and when that time come Wilkins is a viable option to step up.  Typically rookie running backs struggle with pass pro. We may see a sophomore jump from him. Mack is better and I don’t think Mack is a legit rb1. Between the three, they will produce enough to provide a viable running game. 

I like Wilkins, he had an  unfortunate  Fumble and lost some playing time due to it, but the skill is there IMO! When drafted Ballard said Wilkins reminded him of Forte! I would agree, tough, a little wiggle, decent speed, and can catch the ball! Given opportunity I think he could at least be an above average RB! My guess is he gets more touch’s this year.