Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain on track to be ready for Training Camp

CR91

With the locker room influence we keep hearing about he may have worked his way into contention for next year.  That type of influence can focus a persons learning without actual reps because of the injury.  I feel that will give him an edge over an incoming rookie.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the Colts run some 3-wide packages with Cain, TY, and Tyrell Williams? Then you throw Ebron into the mix, and you'll give some DCs some sleepless nights. 

that should be the offense 

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Talk about a chip on his shoulder (as he said last year).....coming back from this has probably made it a mountain by now!

Can't wait to see him getting reps again on the field.

Wonder what his new number will be since he can't wear number 8 as a receiver?

Maybe 18 or 88 since they have the number 8 in them and aren't any special numbers for the Colts ;) 

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. I get it now. You were joking. I was like WTH.

Oh haha I thought you realized I was joking. I had the winky face and everything haha. A lot of college guys who wear single digits will normally end up picking a 10's or 80's number with that digit just so happen the colts have them both covered with hall of famers, and seemed like be a good joke to make about them not having anyone special 

• Like 1

I’m not too familiar with Cain. Can someone tell me what kind of receiver he is?  Is he a small fast guy like TY or Marvin ....a good possession guy like Reggie Wayne, or a big bodied red zone guy or guy u throw deep balls to that will out leap the guy covering him for the jump ball??  Out of those which would you say describes him best??

25 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I’m not too familiar with Cain. Can someone tell me what kind of receiver he is?  Is he a small fast guy like TY or Marvin ....a good possession guy like Reggie Wayne, or a big bodied red zone guy or guy u throw deep balls to that will out leap the guy covering him for the jump ball??  Out of those which would you say describes him best??

You can look at him on youtube.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You can look at him on youtube.

I did watch his highlight videos but it’s hard to get a definitive answer from watching those videos because they only show his big flashy plays. I don’t have time to watch film on him or anything like that and even if I did I probably wouldn’t see some of the intricate things some on here might notice that’s why I’m asking. So can someone tell me what type of receiver he is???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trace Pyott said:

I did watch his highlight videos but it’s hard to get a definitive answer from watching those videos because they only show his big flashy plays. I don’t have time to watch film on him or anything like that and even if I did I probably wouldn’t see some of the intricate things some on here might notice that’s why I’m asking. So can someone tell me what type of receiver he is???

He played for Clemson and played on the championship team in 2017. He had 38 catches, 724 yds and 9 TDs catching balls from Deshaun Watson. The thing is what you see on youtube is all any of us has to look at.

He fell a couple of rounds in the draft because of a drug suspension his freshman year. The general consensus is he is a very good receiver and was a steal in round 6.

According to Reich he stood out in training camp with his ability to go up and get the ball and played good in press coverage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He played for Clemson and played on the championship team in 2017. He had 38 catches, 724 yds and 9 TDs catching balls from Deshaun Watson. The thing is what you see on youtube is all any of us has to look at.

He fell a couple of rounds in the draft because of a drug suspension his freshman year. The general consensus is he is a very good receiver and was a steal in round 6.

According to Reich he stood out in training camp with his ability to go up and get the ball and played good in press coverage.

I agree he was a huge steal. And I have very high hopes for Cain. Big fan of the value.

That said, he does have weaknesses. Draft profile below.

Weaknesses

Failed to post expected production jump after taking over WR1 duties from Mike Williams

Targeted more but production declined in almost every meaningful category

Will need to expand his route tree as a pro

Doesn't separate as much as he could underneath

Can run routes with more urgency and suddenness

Fluctuations with focus has plagued him

Has seen drop rate increase in each of the last two seasons

Needs to play stronger through his routes

Appeared to get flustered at times by length and size across from him

Penalized 10 times over three years with a majority being false starts

26 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree he was a huge steal. And I have very high hopes for Cain. Big fan of the value.

That said, he does have weaknesses. Draft profile below.

Weaknesses

Failed to post expected production jump after taking over WR1 duties from Mike Williams

Targeted more but production declined in almost every meaningful category

Will need to expand his route tree as a pro

Doesn't separate as much as he could underneath

Can run routes with more urgency and suddenness

Fluctuations with focus has plagued him

Has seen drop rate increase in each of the last two seasons

Needs to play stronger through his routes

Appeared to get flustered at times by length and size across from him

Penalized 10 times over three years with a majority being false starts

What the list of weaknesses doesn't say,  but it's been written elsewhere on the internet,  is that that season was the season AFTER  DeShaun Watson went to the NFL.    So, there was a noted drop off in the quality of Clemson's QB play.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What the list of weaknesses doesn't say,  but it's been written elsewhere on the internet,  is that that season was the season AFTER  DeShaun Watson went to the NFL.    So, there was a noted drop off in the quality of Clemson's QB play.    

IDK. Bryant was just as accurate (67%) in 17 as Watson was in 16. He just threw a lot less. If Cain's targets went up in 17, and his drops increased, that's not really a great excuse if Bryant's completion % was the same.

I live in ATL and have a few big time Clemson buddies. They're whole thing about Cain was simply his focus and consistency. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IDK. Bryant was just as accurate (67%) in 17 as Watson was in 16. He just threw a lot less. If Cain's targets went up in 17, and his drops increased, that's not really a great excuse if Bryant's completion % was the same.

I live in ATL and have a few big time Clemson buddies. They're whole thing about Cain was simply his focus and consistency. 

While only time will have the answer it sounds like a lot of his negatives can be coached out of him.

Maturity and training by good coaches can make or break a player.

With him sitting after his injury and dealing with what it takes to come back from that injury I can't help but think he matured a little over that time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

While I didn't watch much of Clemson at the time wasn't Clemson basically a running team especially with Watson as their QB?

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While only time will have the answer it sounds like a lot of his negatives can be coached out of him.

Maturity and training by good coaches can make or break a player.

With him sitting after his injury and dealing with what it takes to come back from that injury I can't help but think he matured a little over that time.

I'm thinking the same thing. His injury might be a blessing in disguise for the young man. I just hope it doesn't take away any of his speed.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I didn't watch much of Clemson at the time wasn't Clemson basically a running team especially with Watson as their QB?

No, Watson put up huge passing numbers his last year. They ran plenty too. 

Thanks crazy colt and everyone else for shedding some light on this topic for me. I keep hearing about him, so I was curious what type of player he projects to be in the future.  I admit I don’t watch any college sports so I am totally clueless when it comes

to that. Anyways thanks a lot and hopefully he matures and becomes a heck of a player.  

I'd like to know how Cain's potential is being factored into this year's FA/draft strategy by the front office.  Do they view him as the #2 they're looking for?  Do they still want a big-bodied, sure-handed ball hawk for 3rd down and red zone security?  Good food for thought.  

10 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

I'd like to know how Cain's potential is being factored into this year's FA/draft strategy by the front office.  Do they view him as the #2 they're looking for?  Do they still want a big-bodied, sure-handed ball hawk for 3rd down and red zone security?  Good food for thought.  

Ballard said he does not know what to expect out of Cain. So I assume they will be looking for a receiver. He said not playing a down yet in the nfl and the ACL Cain is a completely unknown.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, HarryTheCat said:

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the Colts run some 3-wide packages with Cain, TY, and Tyrell Williams? Then you throw Ebron into the mix, and you'll give some DCs some sleepless nights. 

Cain has never played a regular season down in the NFL and Williams' production has declined 2 seasons in a row now, so no.....I think it's a little early to make the claim that group will give anyone sleepless nights.