Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 draft mock 2.0 (no trades)

1. Brian Burns EDGE Florida State

Burns might not be here at 26 after his combine performance, but he is the prototypical colts speed rusher with the spin move to boot. 

2. Amani Oruwariye CB Penn State

All signs seems to point to us not re-signing Desir and Oruwariye is the potential shut down CB we need to take this defense to another level

2. Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi State

Simmons I know tore his ACL, but these type of players you're not sure where their gonna fall because of that, but this is worth the risk if he does fall this far.

3. Miles Boykins WR Notre Dame

Boykins is a lot like Kelvin Benjamin with the size to box out, but not much of a route runner. With the potential signing of Tyrell Williams, we have time to develop Boykins.

4. Jace Sternberger TE Texas A&M

Colts have had several meetings with Sternberger who is basically another Jack Doyle so this is insurance in case Jack doesn't return to form from his injuries.

4. Albert Huggins NT Clemson

Huggins is the less mention DT in the Clemson line, however hes hard to move on the line and can generate pressure inside.

5. Alex Bars OT/G Notre Dame

Bars is coming back from a ACL injury, however has the size and versatility to play inside and outside on the line.

6. Corbin Kaufusi DE Brigham Young

Kaufusi is another Margus Hunt we can add to our line size-wise who isn't gonna blow you away with speed or power, but plays with a lot of hustle and effort

7. Bryon London II OLB Texas State

Undersized LB, but has a nose for the football  

• Like 2

I am not a fan of drafting Simmons if we do not already have a 3-tech in the bag that would contribute earlier. Plus, any CB taken for our Tampa 2 like defense needs to be a very good tackler, and that is one of Oruwariye's big weaknesses. When we drafted Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden, both of them were good tacklers. Desir is a very good tackler too. 

Both these articles refer to the tackling weaknesses. We are not talking Deion Sanders here, to gloss over the tackling aspect: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/amani-oruwariye

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/1/6/18159045/2019-nfl-draft-prospects-penn-state-cb-amani-oruwariye-has-the-tools-to-be-appealing-steelers-needs

If Tyrell Williams is signed, which is the assumption here, we will draft a very good route runner to complement what we have, Boykins does not fit the bill.

I am a fan of pick No.1 while the Day 2 picks, not a huge fan of at all. I do like your Day 3 picks as well. I know you are a fan of Oruwariye and won't like my assessment but that is totally fine if we don't see eye to eye on this. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am not a fan of drafting Simmons if we do not already have a 3-tech in the bag that would contribute earlier. Plus, any CB taken for our Tampa 2 like defense needs to be a very good tackler, and that is one of Oruwariye's big weaknesses. When we drafted Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden, both of them were good tacklers. Desir is a very good tackler too. 

Both these articles refer to the tackling weaknesses. We are not talking Deion Sanders here, to gloss over the tackling aspect: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/amani-oruwariye

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/1/6/18159045/2019-nfl-draft-prospects-penn-state-cb-amani-oruwariye-has-the-tools-to-be-appealing-steelers-needs

If Tyrell Williams is signed, which is the assumption here, we will draft a very good route runner to complement what we have, Boykins does not fit the bill.

I am a fan of pick No.1 while the Day 2 picks, not a huge fan of at all. I know you are a fan of Oruwariye and won't like my assessment but that is totally fine if we don't see eye to eye on this. 

That is fine. I think Oruwariye can tackle, but thats not completely his game. He is more of a physical in your face CB that attacks the ball. As far as having a 3 tech, we still have Autry and Lewis to play the 3 tech so we can develop Simmons while he recovers. Sternberger is the chain mover. Boykins is to give us size.

• Like 1

I will not be shocked if Simmons falls into round 4.  The torn ACL plus the HS video of him beating up a girl.  From everything I've read he has been an outstanding citizen since (and even in the incident, if I remember correctly,  he was protecting family(his sister) which is why I'm not against drafting him)

Also, I'm going to get on my soapbox for a minute.  We hear how women are just as good as men and can do everything we can do and we need to get rid of gender inequality, etc. And I don't disagree, I think women are awesome, that is why I married one.  And she is definitely smarter than me and better than me at a lot of things. Yet, if a guy hits a woman he is vilified immediately and treated like scum.  But if women want to be treated the same as men, then shouldn't a guy hitting a woman be treated the same as if he hit a guy?

I'll step down now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I will not be shocked if Simmons falls into round 4.  The torn ACL plus the HS video of him beating up a girl.  From everything I've read he has been an outstanding citizen since (and even in the incident, if I remember correctly,  he was protecting family(his sister) which is why I'm not against drafting him)

Also, I'm going to get on my soapbox for a minute.  We hear how women are just as good as men and can do everything we can do and we need to get rid of gender inequality, etc. And I don't disagree, I think women are awesome, that is why I married one.  And she is definitely smarter than me and better than me at a lot of things. Yet, if a guy hits a woman he is vilified immediately and treated like scum.  But if women want to be treated the same as men, then shouldn't a guy hitting a woman be treated the same as if he hit a guy?

I'll step down now.

Please don't derail my thread

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Any comp to Kelvin Benjamin should necessitate a rethinking of the pick.

Not saying he is Benjamin. Im saying he has similar size and we can develop his route running

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we got Simmons that late I would be so excited but I doubt we can wait that long someone will take him early I'm afraid 

I agree, but again you never know how far these guys will fall. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Not saying he is Benjamin. Im saying he has similar size and we can develop his route running

I agree, but again you never know how far these guys will fall. 

You're right you dont my only basis is what happened with players like Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack who went around top 2nd even tho both were 1st round talents 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

You're right you dont my only basis is what happened with players like Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack who went around top 2nd even tho both were 1st round talents 

Jack fell because there was a rumor he failed a drug test. Turned out to be false. Also Simmons is bigger then Smith so pushing off your knees at that weight is a bigger issue which could cause him to fall farther. again its JMO

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Jack fell because there was a rumor he failed a drug test. Turned out to be false. Also Simmons is bigger then Smith so pushing off your knees at that weight is a bigger issue which could cause him to fall farther. again its JMO

I'd love to get him that late that would allow us to grab others I like lol you have devin white falling to 26 I'd snag him tho 

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'd love to get him that late that would allow us to grab others I like lol you have devin white falling to 26 I'd snag him tho 

White would be a nice pickup too

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Please don't derail my thread

Meh, its relevant to your thread.  By the way, I like this draft the best of any I've seen thus far.

42 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'll step down now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Jack had knee issues (degenerative) that were found out during the combine that could end up causing him to have a shortened career. That's mostly why he slid.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Jack had knee issues (degenerative) that were found out during the combine that could end up causing him to have a shortened career. That's mostly why he slid.

You are right. Sorry about that, but my point still has merit. LBers are usually 220-260. Simmons is 300+. Thats a lot more weight to push off your knees

• Like 1