Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If trading for DeMarcus Lawrence becomes an option...

I just listened to The Draft Show podcast(it's a Dallas Cowboys centric draft podcast but they do cover the draft as a whole and they do have some of the better analysts in the game like Dane Brugler(who BTW seems to know Chris Ballard) and an ex-NFL scout like Brian Broaddus on). So they played out a scenario in which the Cowboys and DeMarcus Lawrence try to reach an agreement on a long-term contract but they are so far off on the terms that things sour between the two parties to the point where Dallas decides they are willing to trade Lawrence. 

You can hear the segment here at 44:15: https://www.dallascowboys.com/audio/draft-show-combine-winners-losers-d-law-s-trade-value 

They think the Mack trade set the market and they do not think they can get the same Oakland got for him so they end up on an offer of #26 and #59 from the Colts for DeMarcus Lawrence. If this deal becomes available, would you do it? You would have to give Lawrence a big contract (lets say 5/100 with 60M guaranteed) too. 

If not, what's the maximum you would be willing to give up? 

Yes.  I would do that trade.  No hesitation.  We have the cap space and we are in a different conference which would be appealing to them.  I would be surprised if the Cowboys paid him that big of a contract considering the other players they want to sign.  Therefore I can see their talks breaking down so a trade then becomes a viable option.