Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Post Combine Mock

So the combine is over and there aren’t too many lingering questions about most of the prospects out there. With 2 drafts for Ballard in the books, we finally have an idea of his drafting style. I’ve made my mock accordingly.

R1: Johnathan Abram, SS Miss. State- A safety in the 1st? Yes. I predict a run on defensive lineman. Abram is a fiery hard hitting player, whose attitude rubs off on teammates. He fits what we’re building.

R2: AJ Brown, WR Ole Miss- Back to the Mississippi well. There’s a chance he won’t be here. I’m predicting guys like Metcalf, Butler, and Campbell will shoot up. Brown can play inside or out and has elite YAC ability. 

R2: Renell Wren, DT Arizona State- After a run on defensive lineman, Ballard finally lands one. Think Kemoko Turray here. Wren has size, length, athleticism, and a 1st step you can’t teach. He needs hand use refinement though. He has time since we have Autry and re-signed Hunt.

R3: Chase Winovich, DE Michigan- I’ll admit I wasn’t high on him. But after his combine testing, he has the athletic tools to make his tape mean something. Sheard is in his last year so a starting spot will be open soon. Chase, Turray, and Lewis can all compete for that.

R4: Jordan Brown, CB South Dakota St.- A late riser who had a good Senior Bowl week and solid combine. He’s got the length Ballard likes and can play zone or man. 

R4: Cameron Smith, LB USC- I was high on him his junior year. Athleticism was the concern but he dropped weight in the offseason and got faster. He has a stat of 16 PDs in college. We need someone who can cover TEs. He can play SAM and then move to MLB when we go Nickel.

R5: Kaden Smith, TE Stanford- A very deep TE class is going to push a lot of guys down. Smith is one of them. He didn’t run well at the combine but he has talent. Reich likes multiple TEs so he can compete in camp for a TE3 spot.

R6: Alex Barnes, RB KSU- A Big Bell cow back who had surprisingly good combine numbers, including decent agility drills. Can compete in camp.

R7: Blessaun Austin, CB Rutgers- Late round flier on a guy who had a bunch of injuries in college, but has length and change of direction to get teams excited. ST’s player if nothing else

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Defjamz, I was serious, thank you for posting.  I like this mock except for your first overall pick.  I don't think any of the safeties are worth a 1st rounder this year, but that's just me.  BUt I do like Wren, Brown, Barnes and Winovich the rest of the guys I don't know anything about, so I will trust your judgment.

I really like your mock @Defjamz26

Abram is a nice compliment to Hooker. In my opinion, AJ Brown is the best fit reciever in this draft for the Colts. He is a high volume, sure handed reciever that is elite at short/intermiedate route and has that YAC ability aswell. We just didn't get that from Chester/Grant/Pascal last season. He would thrive in Reich's up tempo, quick release offense. Wren also is a nice pick, he is an explosive athlete that would suit that way we try to penetrate the A-gap hard with Hunt. Barnes also a good power back I think we need.

Overall I thought you picked good players that suit how we want to play well.

• Like 2

I wonder if Nasir Adderley and Taylor Rapp are rated higher on the Colts board. Team captain plus production with good short zone coverage is what Taylor Rapp brings to the table. Nasir Adderley is similar too, with slightly better short zone skills, IMO.

I like the first round pick position, not sure about player.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wonder if Nasir Adderley and Taylor Rapp are rated higher on the Colts board. Team captain plus production with good short zone coverage is what Taylor Rapp brings to the table. Nasir Adderley is similar too, with slightly better short zone skills, IMO.

I thought about Rapp too. I just need to see what 40 he runs at his pro day. If he runs good he might replace Abram. I know @Superman had us getting Deionte Thompson in his mock, which is also an option. There’s going to be good safety and WR depth at 26.

• Like 1

I like this mock. Wren is a good consolation prize for the best D linemen being plucked early. 

For me, under your scenario, I would pick Brown first and grab Taylor Rapp with the 2nd pick. Brown would be the other alpha dog Reich is looking for. And Rapp likely fits the Colts D better. 

Thanks for doing this. It’s an intelligent, well constructed mock. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

I watched Rapp briefly a few weeks ago and came away unimpressed. He seems to be highly rated by everyone else so I wonder what I'm missing. Perhaps after his pro day I'll watch him again. 

On 3/9/2019 at 7:40 PM, Superman said:

I watched Rapp briefly a few weeks ago and came away unimpressed. He seems to be highly rated by everyone else so I wonder what I'm missing. Perhaps after his pro day I'll watch him again. 

I don’t think he’s the hitter that Abram is but he’s probably a little better in coverage. He’s a down safety and is more of an impact tackler. He doesn’t play with Abram’s level of physicality but you could argue he’s a bit more polished.