Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will we sign any more of our own by Monday


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I lean toward this opinion. Don't know if it will happen or not, but I laugh at the fans hoping and praying Ballard goes bonkers in FA. One individual on twitter has us getting Flowers, Collins, Ty Williams, and Humphries in FA.... do-what? Ballard is going to be so selective it won't be funny to most on here. 

 

He doesn't have to go nuts in FA to sign a starter or 2.....  is bringing in a Denico Autry, or a Desir replacement, or a Geathers replacement really that inconceivable?  Four2 said he didn't see him bringing in any starters, that's the part I doubt....  I wouldn't be surprised at all if CB didn't bring in any big fish.....  quite the contrary actually....  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

He doesn't have to go nuts in FA to sign a starter or 2.....  is bringing in a Denico Autry, or a Desir replacement, or a Geathers replacement really that inconceivable?  Four2 said he didn't see him bringing in any starters, that's the part I doubt....  I wouldn't be surprised at all if CB didn't bring in any big fish.....  quite the contrary actually....  

 

I didn't he wouldn't sign a starter... There will be guys that could start for this team available toward the end of free agency. I said I would be shocked if Ballard made a huge splash by bringing in one or two top 10 FA's next week. I think he'll do his due diligence and see where they stand, but walk away when the price tag gets up there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I didn't he wouldn't sign a starter... There will be guys that could start for this team available toward the end of free agency. I said I would be shocked if Ballard made a huge splash by bringing in one or two top 10 FA's next week. I think he'll do his due diligence and see where they stand, but walk away when the price tag gets up there. 

Right, my comment was toward the one you "leaned" toward, which is why though I quoted you, I mentioned the poster you referenced IN your quote by name...

 

I get what you said, and I agree with most of the premise.  I was disagreeing totally with the statement you said you were merely "leaning" towards....

 

Sorry for the confusion ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Desir is interesting. I think the colts want to re sign him. But I think they are not sure what his value is. Hopefully he doesn’t get some stupid contract from someone and he will be back. Right now at this point with Geathers and Dasir  not signed I am concerned about the safety and CB position. There are lots of safeties in FA but it is nice to kind of keep the ones here that know the system. We will see what plays out next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Desir is interesting. I think the colts want to re sign him. But I think they are not sure what his value is. Hopefully he doesn’t get some stupid contract from someone and he will be back. Right now at this point with Geathers and Dasir  not signed I am concerned about the safety and CB position. There are lots of safeties in FA but it is nice to kind of keep the ones here that know the system. We will see what plays out next week.

 

Desir is interesting, but he's going elsewhere. Same scenario as Melvin the previous year. Ballard mentioned on Pat Mac's show that players will get mad when they hit free agency that they won't match anothers offer. He played it cool and said he tells those guys that they are doing what is best for their family and making great money that they aren't going to get in Indy. It is what is it. Desir is going to pull more in the market than the Colts value him at. And quite frankly, he's the product of the Eberflus system. He won't produce elsewhere like he did here. I'm hopeful some of the younger guys step up and play great this year, Wilson particularly. I think the position needs addressed, but like I said, I think it'll have to be someone other than Desir. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or maybe Desir won’t get what he thinks.  Wilson needs to step up.  

 

The safety position right now looks really bad. But there are so many out there to go get so I think it will need to play out.

 

i don’t think Geathers is going to get anything huge with his injury situation. I think eventually we will re-sign him. Hooker is also injury prone. I was laughing at someone who said we need to go get that safety with the name of hooker in the draft. They then could be called the pimp formation. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Or maybe Desir won’t get what he thinks.  Wilson needs to step up.  

 

The safety position right now looks really bad. But there are so many out there to go get so I think it will need to play out.

 

i don’t think Geathers is going to get anything huge with his injury situation. I think eventually we will re-sign him. Hooker is also injury prone. I was laughing at someone who said we need to go get that safety with the name of hooker in the draft. They then could be called the pimp formation. Lol

 

The safety position will get much better this offseason, whether through FA, the draft or a mixture. Cornerback is as weak as it will ever get this offseason in FA and the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

The safety position will get much better this offseason, whether through FA, the draft or a mixture. Cornerback is as weak as it will ever get this offseason in FA and the draft. 

If that’s the case signing Desir might become pretty important. We are were very good last year at not allowing a big play. Is Wilson ready to step up with Moore. We will see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, Shafty138 said:

He doesn't have to go nuts in FA to sign a starter or 2.....  is bringing in a Denico Autry, or a Desir replacement, or a Geathers replacement really that inconceivable?  Four2 said he didn't see him bringing in any starters, that's the part I doubt....  I wouldn't be surprised at all if CB didn't bring in any big fish.....  quite the contrary actually....  

 

When I first saw this thread,  I thought "of course we will sign more of our own before FA."   And we might still.

 

But I was hoping we'd be signing 1-3 of our own guys each day this week.   And we've mostly signed close to.....    nobody. 

 

Very disappointing to me.

 

So, this is a good thread.   Glad you started it.

 

To me, my read is,  we're playing some hardball and have a tight dollar figure on our offers.  I'm sure we've politely told our guys,  to go out and shop their services and find out what their market value is.   And I'm sure we've asked them to bring the offer back to the Colts to see if we will match or even beat it.    And it looks like that's what players are doing.   Tomorrow,  is the "official illegal tampering period" for 2 and a half days.    Wednesday at 4p eastern time is when signings can be announced.    So, our guys will shop themselves for a few days and then we'll see who we bring back.     I was hoping this WOULDN'T happen.   I don't want any players to be bitter or frustrated.   A great locker room isn't a guaranteed thing from year to year.   I want to make sure the players we bring back aren't feeling short changed and disrespected.  

 

Ballard is a great guy.   I'm sure he'll handle it as best he can....   but guys get prideful about money and respect and feelings can get wounded at this time of year,  even in the best set of circumstances.

 

Big Week!!     And!    Here!    We!    Go!!!       :colts:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

When I first saw this thread,  I thought "of course we will sign more of our own before FA."   And we might still.

 

But I was hoping we'd be signing 1-3 of our own guys each day this week.   And we've mostly signed close to.....    nobody.   

 

Very disappointing to me.

 

So, to me, my read is,  we're playing some hardball and have a tight dollar figure on our offers.  I'm sure we've politely told our guys,  to go out and shop their services and find out what their market value is.   And I'm sure we've asked them to bring the offer back to the Colts to see if we will match or even beat it.    And it looks like that's what players are doing.   Tomorrow,  is the "official illegal tampering period" for 2 and a half days.    Wednesday at 4p eastern time is when signings can be announced.    So, our guys will shop themselves for a  few days and then we'll see who we bring back.     I was hoping this WOULDN'T happen.    I don't want any players to be bitter or frustrated.   A great locker room isn't a guaranteed thing from year to year.   I want to make sure the players we bring back aren't feeling short changed and disrespected.  

 

Ballard is a great guy.   I'm sure he'll handle it as best he can....   but guys get prideful about money and respect and feelings can get wounded at this time of year,  even in the best set of circumstances.

 

Big Week!!     And!    Here!    We!    Go!!!       :colts:

 

I've had very similar worries. He says he wants to pay players who come here and play well, but he has let people walk who have like Melvin last year and I am afraid that's going to happen with desir. It's hard enough trying to find someone to keep Hopkins under 100 yards let alone doing it twice

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Desir was a priority. It should of been done with the year he had. Not concerned with geathers because of injuries and a lot of safeties  on the market. But Desir worked his but off and was from what I have seen posted led the NFL in a couple areas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Desir was a priority. It should of been done with the year he had. Not concerned with geathers because of injuries and a lot of safeties  on the market. But Desir worked his but off and was from what I have seen posted led the NFL in a couple areas. 

 

I'm a Desir fan.   Liked him coming out of college.   Followed him around and was happy when we signed him as a FA.

 

But his good season last year and a weak FA class of corner's may have inflated his value.   Perhaps past what Ballard is willing to pay for any corner?   One of the things that Ballard said when he arrived is that Cornerback is not a priority position in this defense and we don't have to spend top money on one.     

 

So, maybe we let Desir walk?    I'm sure Ballard has a variety of plans if Desir leaves.   I don't know what they are,  but I'm a huge Ballard admirer, and feel confident he'll work something out....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I'm a Desir fan.   Liked him coming out of college.   Followed him around and was happy when we signed him as a FA.

 

But his good season last year and a weak FA class of corner's may have inflated his value.   Perhaps past what Ballard is willing to pay for any corner?   One of the things that Ballard said when he arrived is that Cornerback is not a priority position in this defense and we don't have to spend top money on one.     

 

So, maybe we let Desir walk?    I'm sure Ballard has a variety of plans if Desir leaves.   I don't know what they are,  but I'm a huge Ballard admirer, and feel confident he'll work something out....

 

You have a point. Safeties are more important then CB. Kenny Moore has a heck of a season but he is playing a lot of LB to me. He also shut Hopkins down on a big play in the playoffs. But he has Moore value outside of being a corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You have a point. Safeties are more important then CB. Kenny Moore has a heck of a season but he is playing a lot of LB to me. He also shut Hopkins down on a big play in the playoffs. But he has MOORE VALUE outside of being a corner.

Nice.....  I like it ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Desir was a priority. It should of been done with the year he had. Not concerned with geathers because of injuries and a lot of safeties  on the market. But Desir worked his but off and was from what I have seen posted led the NFL in a couple areas. 

I would have thought so too.  Maybe he was asking for to much money?  Who knows.  Still could happen though.  Breeland is available and we were very interested in him last year.  CB is an interesting spot this year.  With all the safeties available I am expecting an upgrade there.  Hopefully Collins.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...