Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will we sign any more of our own by Monday


Recommended Posts

Yes unless they're overvaluing or over pricing themselves. As a business owner I see it all the time. They want maximum pay for minimum effort. You should get paid equal value for your work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Desir has liked a couple tweets about how much interest he’ll get in free agency. I think he’s gone. 

 

I hope we re-sign Geathers. I think it was Chris Ballard who praised how hard he had to fight through injuries just to play this season...Maybe it was Reich, actually. Idk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Desir has liked a couple tweets about how much interest he’ll get in free agency. I think he’s gone. 

 

I hope we re-sign Geathers. I think it was Chris Ballard who praised how hard he had to fight through injuries just to play this season...Maybe it was Reich, actually. Idk.

If the bolded is true, then we should get a compensatory pick for him next year as long as we don't sign too many FA's. I believe we'll re-sign Geathers still, but we'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If the bolded is true, then we should get a compensatory pick for him next year as long as we don't sign too many FA's. I believe we'll re-sign Geathers still, but we'll see.

I don't think there is much of a chance we get compensatory picks. We will probably spend more money for outside FAs than we lose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Bowan just posted that Fili Moala was the last Colt defensive draft pick signed to a 2nd. contract.  He was drafted in the 2nd. rd.  2009.   Not exactly a good sign for Gaethers.  Of course Ballard seems to like him so we shall see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ken Bowan just posted that Fili Moala was the last Colt drafted DB signed to a 2nd. contract.  He was drafted in the 2nd. rd.  2009.   Not exactly a good sign for Gaethers.  Of course Ballard seems to like him so we shall see. 

 

Fili Moala was a 300 lb. DT from USC.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If the bolded is true, then we should get a compensatory pick for him next year as long as we don't sign too many FA's. I believe we'll re-sign Geathers still, but we'll see.

 

If the Colts are getting comp picks next year...that better mean that Ballard used his cap space to go after a few guys in the trade market. If the Colts don't spend enough in FA to cover Desir and/or Geathers...I think both Ballard and (especially) Irsay will have some explaining to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ken Bowan just posted that Fili Moala was the last Colt defensive draft pick signed to a 2nd. contract.  He was drafted in the 2nd. rd.  2009.   Not exactly a good sign for Gaethers.  Of course Ballard seems to like him so we shall see. 

 

Well to be fair...Polian had mostly lost his mind at that point...and then along came the dynamic duo of Grigs and Pagano.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Well to be fair...Polian had mostly lost his mind at that point...and then along came the dynamic duo of Grigs and Pagano.

 

Chris Polian deserves credit as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ken Bowan just posted that Fili Moala was the last Colt defensive draft pick signed to a 2nd. contract.  He was drafted in the 2nd. rd.  2009.   Not exactly a good sign for Gaethers.  Of course Ballard seems to like him so we shall see. 

 

Pathetic beyond belief.  It was 14 years between the drafting of Bob and Leonard, 14 years before you drafted anything resembling another playmaker.  Hopefully Hooker and a few of the other picks from the past two years get there as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes unless they're overvaluing or over pricing themselves. As a business owner I see it all the time. They want maximum pay for minimum effort. You should get paid equal value for your work. 

That is true, but in my case I don't even get minimum wage for my on campus job so effort is kinda below minimum 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 3:38 PM, Four2itus said:

I disagree. 

 

Really?  Outside of Desir, which of our FA are going to make a roster and have a significant contract?  

 

This being the case, a couple signings the level of Autry and Ebron would cancel even a large contract for Desir out.....  you really think we aren't signing much of anyone, or anything eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

 

Really?  Outside of Desir, which of our FA are going to make a roster and have a significant contract?  

 

This being the case, a couple signings the level of Autry and Ebron would cancel even a large contract for Desir out.....  you really think we aren't signing much of anyone, or anything eh?

I wouldn’t think we would get anything either; but I was surprised we got a 4th after the season Moncrief has in Jacksonville so who knows 

 

We signed Autry, Ebron(I don’t think this counted towards comp pick), and Marcus Hunt who all had good years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

 

Really?  Outside of Desir, which of our FA are going to make a roster and have a significant contract?  

 

This being the case, a couple signings the level of Autry and Ebron would cancel even a large contract for Desir out.....  you really think we aren't signing much of anyone, or anything eh?

Well, the consensus is that we are going to buy FA's, and we did last season...because the cupboard was so bare, but that is not the case now. I also think Ballard sees in house development, as the depth this season as opposed to FA's. JMO....but no, I dont think we are signing starters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Well, the consensus is that we are going to buy FA's, and we did last season...because the cupboard was so bare, but that is not the case now. I also think Ballard sees in house development, as the depth this season as opposed to FA's. JMO....but no, I dont think we are signing starters.

I'd be willing to make a friendly wager that we have at least one FA acquisition starting post Training Camp....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I'd be willing to make a friendly wager that we have at least one FA acquisition starting post Training Camp....

 

Well, I would say that my opinion is in the minority. Most would agree with you. One thing for sure, FA time is most all we have to talk about right now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Well, the consensus is that we are going to buy FA's, and we did last season...because the cupboard was so bare, but that is not the case now. I also think Ballard sees in house development, as the depth this season as opposed to FA's. JMO....but no, I dont think we are signing starters.

 

I lean toward this opinion. Don't know if it will happen or not, but I laugh at the fans hoping and praying Ballard goes bonkers in FA. One individual on twitter has us getting Flowers, Collins, Ty Williams, and Humphries in FA.... do-what? Ballard is going to be so selective it won't be funny to most on here. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I lean toward this opinion. Don't know if it will happen or not, but I laugh at the fans hoping and praying Ballard goes bonkers in FA. One individual on twitter has us getting Flowers, Collins, Ty Williams, and Humphries in FA.... do-what? Ballard is going to be so selective it won't be funny to most on here. 

 

Yes. I could see him signing 2 of the big guys. One on each side of the ball. Nothing more then that.  Any other FA will be after the first wave is over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes. I could see him signing 2 of the big guys. One on each side of the ball. Nothing more then that.  Any other FA will be after the first wave is over.

 

I'll be shocked. I won't be mad, necessarily. But I will be shocked. I think there will be a lot of disappointment if he picks during the 2nd and 3rd windows only and turns his focus to next month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The bad thing that comes with winning is your drafting a lot lower.  Once your winning you almost have to fill holes with FA if you need a playmaker. Of course you can trade up or trade for a player also.  The foundation of this team is almost set. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I'll be shocked. I won't be mad, necessarily. But I will be shocked. I think there will be a lot of disappointment if he picks during the 2nd and 3rd windows only and turns his focus to next month. 

I don’t know why people think this. Ballard has said if the right guy is out there he will try and get them and pay them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know why people think this. Ballard has said if the right guy is out there he will try and get them and pay them.

 

And that he puts a value on them and will not go over that value... a lot of these guys are going to go over that value. Guaranteed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The bad thing that comes with winning is your drafting a lot lower.  Once your winning you almost have to fill holes with FA if you need a playmaker. Of course you can trade up or trade for a player also.  The foundation of this team is almost set. 

 

Um, no? Do you realize how many playmaking receivers are in this draft? If we wanted, we could get two playmakers at 26 and 34 that would immediately make a difference and take this offense another level up. I don't know where you got that idea, but it couldn't be further off. Pretty sure the Patriots found their playmaking runningback in the draft last year, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

And that he puts a value on them and will not go over that value... a lot of these guys are going to go over that value. Guaranteed.

Correct. But nobody knows what that value is. How do we know he doesn’t think Tyrell Williams isn’t worth 12m. Just because he says he puts a value on them doesn’t mean he is going to try and get them for cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Um, no? Do you realize how many playmaking receivers are in this draft? If we wanted, we could get two playmakers at 26 and 34 that would immediately make a difference and take this offense another level up. I don't know where you got that idea, but it couldn't be further off. Pretty sure the Patriots found their playmaking runningback in the draft last year, no?

Receivers rarely come in and make a impact their rookie seasons. Very few. College football does a terrible job at getting receivers ready for the nfl. Route running is totally different in the nfl. Running backs are totally different then a Wr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Correct. But nobody knows what that value is. How do we know he doesn’t think Tyrell Williams isn’t worth 12m. Just because he says he puts a value on them doesn’t mean he is going to try and get them for cheap

 

Poor choice of words for you to put in my mouth. Obviously these guys aren't going to be cheap. Discount isn't what Ballard's looking for. He's looking for a fair market price, and many first window free agents don't demand anything resembling that price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Receivers rarely come in and make a impact their rookie seasons. Very few. College football does a terrible job at getting receivers ready for the nfl. Route running is totally different in the nfl. Running backs are totally different then a Wr.

Ignore my post. I misunderstood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Poor choice of words for you to put in my mouth. Obviously these guys aren't going to be cheap. Discount isn't what Ballard's looking for. He's looking for a fair market price, and many first window free agents don't demand anything resembling that price.

I still stand by what I said. No one knows what the value is he assigns on a player.  He may be willing to outbid another team up to a certain amount. We just don’t know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I still stand by what I said. No one knows what the value is he assigns on a player.  He may be willing to outbid another team up to a certain amount. We just don’t know.

 

All we have up to this point is what he has done the past few years and that was finding value in the 2nd and 3rd windows... and those were for a roster in desperate need of talent. Now that he has a roster that is coming together, we think he's going to change his philosophy? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

All we have up to this point is what he has done the past few years and that was finding value in the 2nd and 3rd windows... and those were for a roster in desperate need of talent. Now that he has a roster that is coming together, we think he's going to change his philosophy? 

How is what I said changing his philosophy. Without actually knowing the value it’s kind of a Mute point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How is what I said changing his philosophy. Without actually knowing the value it’s kind of a Mute point.

 

It's more what the general feelings are for specific players, mainly the very top "ranked" free agents that everyone seems to think we are going to go after regardless of the cost. To touch on the point you just made, you are exactly right... we don't know that Ballard does't think Landon Collins is trash and not worth the money he's going to command. Same with Flowers or any other top tier free agent. He mentioned last year they targeted Denico Autry day 1 and pursued him until he was signed. We don't know the players he's targeting yet,outside of the reported Williams, which I take with a grain of salt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Or how about, "the QB is the most important player on the team, and we will do whatever we can to protect him and build around him in order to give ourselves the best chance to win the SB." Would that of been so hard?
    • Imagine the outcry if Ballard would have said - This team is all about 1 guy and that is Luck.   It doesn't matter what we put around him because it's all about luck.
    • Well, this is true of course. But it's also true that it still ultimately rests on his shoulds - fair or unfair. I think it's totally okay to give him a sort of pass for a year, or even a few years. But at some point...   Hope Eason is the guy, but I wasn't a huge fan pre-draft. We'll see how it goes, though. Still, we traded our first and I think it's fair to assume that's because Ballard didn't see any value in moving up or at least taking a QB in the first (or maybe he just saw more value in Buckner?). Burrow was probably out of reach but Herbert was within range and he's stolen the job in San Diego.   Dude's had to deal with a ton of curveballs as you said. Rivers was a fine stopgap, I suppose. But at the same time, gotta have a long-term solution and he might have missed an opportunity. Gonna have to "put a pin in it" for now.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...