Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign Margus Hunt

CR91

14 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

So tell me, who do you want us to re-sign? I can't find more than Inman I want to keep of the rest.

Honestly?    Lots.    The website has an updated list of all the various free agents.     I've cut and pasted here...     I'll provide a yes, no, or unsure for all....    Remember,  I'm thinking 90 man rosters,  not 53.     I'm trying to create the best 90 man roster possible.

Unrestricted Free Agents (11): A player whose contract has expired and has four or more tenured years in the league. He may sign with any other team with no restrictions.

» Cornerback Pierre Desir: Desir put in a career year in his first season as the Colts’ top cornerback. In 16 games with 12 starts, he finished with 79 total tackles (two for a loss) and logged one interception, eight passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.  YES (if possible)

» Safety Clayton Geathers: A team captain, Geathers fought through various injuries throughout the 2018 season to play, and start, in 12 games, finishing with a career-high 86 tackles (one for a loss) with two quarterback hits, three passes defensed and one forced fumble, while also adding three special teams tackles.

YES

» Linebacker Najee Goode: In 2018, Goode appeared in 16 games and had six tackles (two solo) with one interception (the first of his career), one pass defensed and 10 special teams stops. His blocked punt in the Divisional Round of the playoffs against the Kansas City Chiefs was recovered in the end zone by Zach Pascal for the Colts’ first score of the game.

YES

» Wide receiver Ryan Grant: Grant, who battled injuries midway through the regular season, and then again during the Colts’ two playoff games, finished his first year in Indianapolis with 35 receptions for 334 yards and one touchdown in 14 total games played with 10 starts.

NO

» Defensive end Geneo Grissom: Signed as a free agent on Jan. 1, Grissom appeared in Indy’s two postseason games, logging seven special teams snaps in the Wild Card Round matchup against the Houston Texans, and 13 special teams snaps the following week in the Divisional Round against the Chiefs.

UNSURE

» Tight end Ryan Hewitt: Hewitt in 2018 appeared in 12 games with two starts for the Colts, and his only reception on the season was his first-career touchdown, a one-yard score against the Tennessee Titans Week 17. Hewitt was the 13th different receiver to catch a touchdown from quarterback Andrew Luck in the regular season, tying an NFL record.

YES

» Wide receiver Dontrelle Inman: Signed as a free agent Oct. 16, Inman provided a solid veteran presence and playmaker for the Colts’ offense. In nine games played with four starts, he finished with 28 receptions for 304 yards and three touchdowns, while also logging eight catches for 108 yards and another score in Indy’s two postseason contests.

YES

» Safety Mike Mitchell: Another key veteran midseason acquisition, Mitchell, signed Oct. 9, played in eight games with four starts, and had 28 tackles (22 solo), one interception, two forced fumbles and one pass defensed. His seven-tackle, one-interception, one-forced fumble performance Week 7 in a win over the Buffalo Bills earned him AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for the first time in his career.

YES

» Tackle J’Marcus Webb: Signed in training camp due to a bevy of injuries at the tackle position, Webb earned the start at right tackle in the Colts’ Week 1 opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, but would suffer a season-ending hamstring injury in that contest. Webb was believed to be a possible candidate for the Colts’ return-from-IR spots, but the team ultimately decided to use its second and final return spot on tackle/guard Joe Haeg.

UNSURE

» Safety J.J. Wilcox: Signed as a free agent Dec. 18, Wilcox would appear in two regular-season contests with the Colts, finishing with five tackles and two special teams stops, while also starting in Indy’s Divisional Round matchup against the Chiefs, finishing with six tackles and a pass defensed in that contest.

UNSURE

» Defensive tackle Al Woods: Another team captain, Woods in 2018 played in 14 games with eight starts and finished with 24 tackles (10 solo; one for a loss) and one pass defensed before suffering a foot injury in the Colts’ Week 15 victory over the Dallas Cowboys.

NO/UNSURE

Restricted Free Agents (5): A player whose contract has expired and has fewer than four tenured years in the league. He may sign an "Offer Sheet" with any other team, but his original team has seven days to match any offer he receives. If the original team does not match the offer, compensation will be awarded in the form of draft picks from the signing team. The round and quantity of picks are determined by the "Qualifying Offer" made by the player's original team. If a RFA is tendered a minimum qualifying offer the compensation is the equivalent of the round in which that player was originally selected. If that player was originally a rookie free agent, no compensation is awarded.

» Center/guard Evan Boehm: Signed to the Colts’ active roster from the Los Angeles Rams’ practice squad on Oct. 8, Boehm played a critical role as the team’s backup center as starter Ryan Kelly dealt with various injuries throughout the season. Boehm appeared in 11 total games with four starts, while also appearing in both of the Colts’ postseason contests, contributing on offense and special teams.

YES

» Safety Matthias Farley: The third-year veteran was off to a solid start in 2018 before suffering a season-ending wrist injury Week 5 against the Patriots. He played in five games with one start, collecting 17 tackles (10 solo), one forced fumble, one interception, four passes defensed and two special teams stops.

YES

» Cornerback Chris Milton: One of the Colts’ top special teams contributors, Milton in 2018 played in 15 games and finished with three tackles (two solo) on defense, as well as seven special teams stops and a fumble recovery. He added two tackles and a forced fumble in two postseason games for Indy.

UNSURE

» Safety Corey Moore: Another key special teams contributor, Moore played in 15 games for the Colts in 2018, finishing with four tackles (three solo) and adding his first-career interception, one pass defensed and eight special teams stops.

UNSURE

» Wide receiver Chester Rogers: Rogers put in a career year as a receiver and as the Colts’ punter returner in 2018. In 16 games with 10 starts, he logged 53 receptions for 485 yards and two touchdowns — all career highs — while also returning 23 punts for 215 yards (9.3 yards per return), including a career-long 51-yard punt return Week 11 against the Titans.

YES

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (2): Players whose contracts have expired and have two or fewer tenured years in the league. The Colts must make a contract offer by the league-imposed deadline of 4 p.m. ET March 13, or the players become unrestricted free agents.

» Wide receiver Marcus Johnson: Acquired by the Colts in a trade with the Seattle Seahawks just before the start of the regular season, Johnson would appear in five games in 2018 before suffering a season-ending ankle injury Week 6 against the New York Jets. In all, he logged six receptions for 102 yards and his first-career touchdown, a 34-yard reception earlier in that Jets contest.

YES

» Long snapper Luke Rhodes: Rhodes turned in another solid year in just his second season of long snapping for the Colts in 2018. He appeared in all 16 regular season and two postseason contests and showed off his background as a linebacker by collecting four special teams tackles in coverage.

HELL YES!!   (Starting Long Snapper!)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't think Tillery is a NT.

He supposedly played this year at 305.      Showed up to the Combine at 295.    Don't think he's playing the NT in the NFL at those weights.    IMO,  he's a 3-tech all the way....

Hunt played the NT position in this defense this year under 300 pounds.  In this defense, Tillery can play both inside spots.  The NT position in this defense isn't responsible for two gapping as in other defenses so the girth is not nearly as important.

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't think Tillery is a NT.

He supposedly played this year at 305.      Showed up to the Combine at 295.    Don't think he's playing the NT in the NFL at those weights.    IMO,  he's a 3-tech all the way....

I think he's got the raw strength and size to do either thing if asked to do so.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

My biggest takeaway from this re-signing is him saying :

“The locker room that’s here and the people that Chris and coach has brought in, and the chemistry that we have now, it was something I didn’t want to change out for anything else."

This makes me think what the coaches have been saying is very much real and tangible.  Might be a player selling tool to other free agents like Collins.  Hooker is good friends with him, so maybe we really have a shot with him.

Hunt was a very solid piece to the D-line.  was top 20 in NFL in TFL's also.

Yes, I hate hearing people down play team culture like it's something that can be brought in easily. Over the next couple of years we are going to be trying to re-sign a bunch of key players and hearing them speak so glowingly of the team, staff and organization is brilliant, but also important. And as you said, it should be attractive to outside players too. 

Delighted for Margus, well earned.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think Tillery makes a lot of sense because he can play 3tech or Al Woods Spot.   Grover Stewart and Tillery could rotate. Stewart was doing some good things at the end of the year playing for Al Woods.

If what you mean is moving to NT on passing downs and 1-gapping NT like a Jay Ratliff did for Wade Philips' D (for passing downs, I repeat), I can see that. However, not as a regular rotational NT, I do not see that, more situational.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If what you mean is moving to NT on passing downs and 1-gapping NT like a Jay Ratliff did for Wade Philips' D (for passing downs, I repeat), I can see that. However, not as a regular rotational NT, I do not see that, more situational.

Margus played NT last year in this defense after Woods went down and I would argue with better results.  Tillery can do the same.

3 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Margus played NT last year in this defense after Woods went down and I would argue with better results.  Tillery can do the same.

Margus is more seasoned with several years under NFL regimen and strength training, so the strength was there, otherwise the coaches wouldn't have put him out there. Tillery would have some ways to go before he can do that on a consistent basis for the NT position against NFL OL. The UT position where his quickness is his asset, he could leverage it more right off the bat, IMO.

That is where I was coming from. Don't get me wrong, if you followed any of my recent posts, I am a big fan of Tillery, just differ a bit on what he can be used for right off the bat, that is all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Margus is more seasoned with several years under NFL regimen and strength training, so the strength was there, otherwise the coaches wouldn't have put him out there. Tillery would have some ways to go before he can do that on a consistent basis for the NT position against NFL OL. The UT position where his quickness is his asset, he could leverage it more right off the bat, IMO.

That is where I was coming from. Don't get me wrong, if you followed any of my recent posts, I am a big fan of Tillery, just differ a bit on what he can be used for right off the bat, that is all.

That makes sense and you might be correct right out of the gate that his snaps would be limited at NT.  They did sign Hunt for two years so to me that would be time to add strength and increase technique before taking over as a starter (Tillery).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The climate of thought around drafts picks contributing in year one has changed....and not necessarily for the good. 25 years ago, fans for the most part did not expect rookies to contribute year one significantly unless they were a very high pick. When you take a team that is struggling, and make an historic draft as Ballard did, it reinforces that perception. No matter the slot, if we draft a full time starter from day one again, it will be pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Probably more situational.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

As a matter of fact, i could see Tillery taking plenty of snaps With Hunt

• Like 1

That defense we were playing towards the end where him and Autry were just crashing straight ahead would have yielded some solid pressures and sacks if we had that Mathis/Freeney on the outside last year. 

2 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

Hunt played the NT position in this defense this year under 300 pounds.  In this defense, Tillery can play both inside spots.  The NT position in this defense isn't responsible for two gapping as in other defenses so the girth is not nearly as important.

Hunt played the NT for two and a half weeks at the end of the season in an emergency situation.    Woods got hurt in week 15 and Hunt helped out.   It’s doable but not desirable.   It’s not Hunts best position.   It wouldn’t be Tillery’s.

Just because it can be done doesn’t always mean it should be done.

If we bring Woods back — fine.

If we cut Woods then I favor signing a big NT on the free agent market.    A rookie like Tillery or someone else picked in a later round isn’t the solution, IMO.   A veteran FA would make the most sense to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Good news!!!  He's made some big plays for us and is always a threat to block FG's.  Glad he was re-signed.

Nice team friendly deal for a decent player hope to find the guys that will take this defense to contender status though and this is the draft to do it.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he's got the raw strength and size to do either thing if asked to do so.

Yes....    he might.   You could be right.

I'm just saying I don't think it's desirable.    That we shouldn't plan on it.    But only do it only if we have an emergency as we did with Hunt this year.

That's all I'm saying.....

• Like 1

After Hunt stopped producing the flash plays some people on this forum talked about how he was not as effective, but when you watched just him and saw everything he did for the D he was definitely the most valuable player on the line and even with Leonard and Moore getting all the press, one of the most valuable on the D.  Leonard would not have looked so dominating if it wasn't for Hunt consistently  fighting double teams.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....    he might.   You could be right.

I'm just saying I don't think it's desirable.    That we shouldn't plan on it.    But only do it only if we have an emergency as we did with Hunt this year.

That's all I'm saying.....

I think he's primarily a 3 Tech like you do, but I think he's versatile enough to be used in both roles due to his size and just raw strength.  I think we've already got two pretty decent 3 Tech in Autry and Tyquan Lewis so I think Tillery would initially only get so many snaps at that spot.  But you could use him in rotation with Grover Stewart at the 5 Tech.  At first I was thinking passing downs and what not, but I think he'd be fine against the run also.   Zierlein seems to call out a lot of 2 Gapping traits that he has in his profile other than what I naturally observed.  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jerry-tillery?id=32195449-4c18-9606-c437-604f05433c81

• Like 1