Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dee Ford Rapoport Speculation

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Their trading him because their moving to a 4-3. How would this make any sense for us then? The guy is a prototypical 3-4 OLB. It would be like trying to get Simon to play DE all over again. 

He played DE in a 4-3 in college and did a fantastic job, for anyone that wasn't aware of this.  The "scheme fit" is just the reason KC is floating for wanting a draft pick for him

6 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

A 2nd is too much for him imo. I'd rather just pass on him

A 2nd for a sure thing, vs using that 2nd on a player that may or may not end up as even a starter on the team... he is young enough that i'd do it and not think twice

• Like 1

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

He played DE in a 4-3 in college and did a fantastic job, for anyone that wasn't aware of this.  The "scheme fit" is just the reason KC is floating for wanting a draft pick for him

6'2 250 is still small for a DE

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

at 6'2 245lbs, Robert Mathis would like to have a word with you... Dwight Freeney was 6'1 260 (again, not that big a difference).

Those are exceptions to the rule. Unless you have the bend and speed of freeney and mathis which almost no one does, you're too small 

• Like 2

I view Ford as a speed rusher similar to Freeney and Mathis.  I wouldn't be surprised if he did even better as a DE.  At his age I would give up a 2nd. and pay him.  A sure fire young NFL ER versus an unknown quantity in the second.  One of our biggest needs addressed with a proven starter at the position. 

Ballard has stressed speed as what he views in an edge rusher. Period. There are different ideals for 4-3 body types depending on the style of 4-3 being played. For our particular style, speed trumps and Ford fits the bill. He was coming off the edge out of a 3 point stance and dominating us in the divisional game. If we can get him for our 59th pick, then I wouldn't be upset. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ford had 42 tackles, 13 sacks and 7 forced fumbles last season but some don't want to give up anything over a 4th round pick for him?

Yeah I don't get it. 

While I'm not in favor of losing multiple picks by trading up in the draft, unless it's just an absolute knock out, I am in favor of moving a 2nd round pick that isn't even top 50, to get a big time proven pass rusher who has the speed to play big in this system. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah I don't get it. 

While I'm not in favor of losing multiple picks by trading up in the draft, unless it's just an absolute knock out, I am in favor of moving a 2nd round pick that isn't even top 50, to get a big time proven pass rusher who has the speed to play big in this system. 

Yeah they don't want to give up anything over a 4th round pick for him but want a 1st or 2nd round pick for Brissett?  :dunno:

• Thanks 3

I just don't think it happens. I like Dee Ford but it'd be like trading a pick just to negotiate a contract extension with him. Sure, we'd have him for a year, but with Ballard's philosophy of having a price in mind and sticking to it...I don't know. Just seems risky.

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I just don't think it happens. We'd have to negotiate a long term deal and considering Ballard's philosophy of having a price in mind and sticking to it...yeah, just doesn't seem likely.

Just what makes you think Ford won't negotiate  a fair contract if Ballard was interested? 

Wasn't Ballard with the Chiefs when Ford was drafted? They have a history so automatically dismissing a chance is pre mature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, most agree we could use Ford and he would be a good fit.

If he is that good give up the pick.

Some want all star quality but want to cheap out for them.

I will trust Ballard on this one because most fans don't have a clue.

It is called champagne taste but not the budget. :) 

Yes, I do agree that if you see the upside for a player in your D, he is worth a Day 2 pick, IMO. He is going to demand $14-16 mil. per year, so the price tag for signing him to a contract would be hefty. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just what makes you think Ford won't negotiate  a fair contract if Ballard was interested? 

Wasn't Ballard with the Chiefs when Ford was drafted? They have a history so automatically dismissing a chance is pre mature.

Sure, maybe he would. Didn't even really mean to imply that Ballard would underpay, just that there would be plenty of teams willing to overpay and he could very well chase the money.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Sure, maybe he would. Didn't even really mean to imply that Ballard would underpay, just that there would be plenty of teams willing to overpay and he could very well chase the money.

I think he signed a tag contract so I am sure Ballard would want to work out a contract before trading for him.

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

Anyone watch him play against us. He wrecked us in the 1st quarter with his speed. Give chiefs our 2nd.

I like Ford a lot but only if a longer term contract can be worked out for us.

If I were Ballard I wouldn't give up a 2nd for just one year of his services.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, I do agree that if you see the upside for a player in your D, he is worth a Day 2 pick, IMO. He is going to demand $14-16 mil. per year, so the price tag for signing him to a contract would be hefty

For most teams? Yes. For this team, hardly...

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, I do agree that if you see the upside for a player in your D, he is worth a Day 2 pick, IMO. He is going to demand $14-16 mil. per year, so the price tag for signing him to a contract would be hefty. 

Yeah he is getting 15 .5 million now under the tag so he isn't coming cheap if Ballard does want him.

Dee Ford and his contract vs Turay/Lewis on a rookie deal. I think I will take Ford's production in that scenario, even at the increased cost...because pass rush is not easy to find.

The fact that KC wants to trade him does give me some pause. But NE did the same thing with Chandler Jones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I just don't think it happens. I like Dee Ford but it'd be like trading a pick just to negotiate a contract extension with him. Sure, we'd have him for a year, but with Ballard's philosophy of having a price in mind and sticking to it...I don't know. Just seems risky.

Silliness. Ballard would NEVER trade for him without a long term contract.
 And there is little chance our 59 pick would be the highest 2nd offered for him. We would likely have to kick in something else.
  And it is all about the Guaranteed $$$. We should be very close to his market price if we want him. 
 Thinking about Sheard and Lewis on one side, Ford and Turray on the other doesn't sound bad for being deep. Not a bad position going into the draft.  
 Would that help Ballard and Irsay sleep?:thinking:

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

The reason i pointed out what age Mathis became a starter, is because MATHIS wasnt "Mathis" until he was as old or older than Ford is right now.

Thats not the point though. Ford is coming off one good season and the chiefs are trying to take advantage of that. Teams don't trade pass rushers unless there is something about their game they dont like or their past their prime.

I think his best statistical season may have been a product of circumstances.  KCs offense made opponents throw a lot.  And then there is Chris Jones, who is KCs best dlineman, that demanded attention.

I think of Ford as a little guy with little bend or stoutness, and gets sacks by running really fast a long ways around the OT, instead of having a lot of skill.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Thats not the point though. Ford is coming off one good season and the chiefs are trying to take advantage of that. Teams don't trade pass rushers unless there is something about their game they dont like or their past their prime.

Well, i hope our GM can sort through that.