Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lindy's Sports redraft - Nelson or Leonard?

Fluke_33

I picked up Lindy's draft mag.  On page 7 they have a top ten redraft of last year.   For the colts they have us selecting Leonard at number 6 instead of Nelson.  Nelson goes to the bills with the next pick.  

Given all we know now and knowing we would not be able to get Leonard if that draft was redone, who would you take?  I think i take Leonard.  As much as i love having Nelson, Leonard is more important i think and i think we could get a guard of decent ability more than we could a LB.  Its pretty close though. 

It's a great question.

Both not just great players but great team-mates and leaders.

I think I would go with Nelson, purely based on how hard it is to find great O-linemen.  I think it would be much harder to get someone in at LG near his level than getting someone close to Leonard's level at LB (and much more costly). 

No dig against the Maniac at all, just position scarcity that means Big Q is the one for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

tough call, i think i would go with leonard

i think we could get by with an average guard, but what would the defense be if our best player was replaced with an average guy?  

interesting question 

thats how i look at it too.  Replacing leonard with an average LB would be a disaster.  replacing nelson with an average guard although not ideal i think can be better compensated for with LT or C help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Luckily we don't have to choose.   2 top ten talents in one draft without trading up.  Pretty awesome 

Ballard even traded DOWN and still got 2 top ten talents, PLUS extra picks that have already contributed and will probably contribute even more after this next draft with the extra #2 this year.  Amazing.

:scoregood:

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if there is another Leonard in this draft. A second rounder that becomes a Star right away. 

I don't know about rookie of the year but there's always some star that falls.  Wish upon it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if there is another Leonard in this draft. A second rounder that becomes a Star right away. 

There's an awesome safety I like. His name is Chauncey Gardner Johnson. We could potentially get him in the 2nd round if Ballard wants a versatile safety. Check him out if you get the chance! I think he could fit that profile.

I would go with Nelson, no doubt.  Our OL was our biggest weakness during the entire Luck era (a  large part of the reason Luck's career was in jeopardy due to injury while he was just entering his prime).  Last year, it was one of the strongest points on our team.  We finally were able to frequently establish a run game and gave up the fewest sacks in the league.  Some of this had to do with scheme changes and Luck taking less risks, but a lot of it was due to the OL.  Nelson undoubtedly set the tone for the OL on the field and made everyone around him better.  

On 3/5/2019 at 11:32 AM, BProland85 said:

There's gonna be some really good defensive and WR talent at the 34th overall spot for Ballard :)

It will be very interesting to see how the next couple weeks of trades/FA works out.  I just read that the Steelers are expected to announce an agreed trade for Antonio Brown by Friday.  I am hoping that trade will allow a team that would likely have drafted a WR to go a different direction and allow a stud WR to fall to us.

Luckily for us, the positions we are in biggest need of seem to be the positions which are deepest in this draft (front 7 D and WR).  Hopefully runs at other positions leave some gems available for us at the positions we need them in.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Chloe6124 said:

There might be another one out there, but one who lights it up like Leonard is a pretty rare find. Just think about all of those network and blog "experts" who said that the Colts took Leonard too high. Some even said that they could have waited until the 3rd round to get him. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Nelson no question about it. 

With that said as good as Leanord was he has a lot a lot to grow and improve on. 

Are you saying leonard has a higher ceiling than Nelson?   I think they both have hof potential.  

We’re definitely lucky to have both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Are you saying leonard has a higher ceiling than Nelson?   I think they both have hof potential.  

We’re definitely lucky to have both. 

Good question. I guess I was just reflecting on all the good he did. He also got wrecked many times and had a lot to work on. I do think if he had that hunger and drive he will get there. 

With Nelson, it's there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good question. I guess I was just reflecting on all the good he did. He also got wrecked many times and had a lot to work on. I do think if he had that hunger and drive he will get there. 

With Nelson, it's there. 

Ah. Got it.  I think so too on leonard 

As crazy as it may sound I think nelson is going to improve as well.   Not only next year but by year three I think then we will know what we truly have.  In both of them probably.   I so look forward to this year! 

• Thanks 1

Let's just be glad there isn't a time machine to redraft and that we had a GM smart enough to get both of them with a first and second.  I think that Leonard pick will be Ballard's single greatest accomplishment/decision in his career at the end.  If he betters it, he may also be the greatest GM in history.  

• Like 1