Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson - 2 stories from last year's combine

stitches

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

According to the PFF folks there have been series of stories about Quenton Nelson and his participation in the combine last year. You can hear the stories here(go to 47:25):

Story 1: Quenton was interviewing with the 49ers and they showed him the tape of him blowing the safety away coming from the other side of the formation from the game vs Georgia. 

So they ask him "what did you see, how did you see the safety blitz? Talk us through this" and Quenton answered the regular stuff "I've studied tape, I saw the formation and picked up the blitz, etc."... then he looked straight at John Lynch and added "I would have done the same thing if it was you"

Story 2: Quenton and his trainers had decided to not do one of the drills at the combine and some team told him "if you don't run that drill we are not going to draft you" and he was like "Look, all I do is bury people into the dirt every single play and if you cannot work that out from the tape then I can't help you" 

I love Nelson's attitude. He doesn't take flack from anybody. So happy we ended up with him, it has spread positively throughout the entire locker room.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

According to the PFF folks there have been series of stories about Quenton Nelson and his participation in the combine last year. You can hear the stories here(go to 47:25):

Story 1: Quenton was interviewing with the 49ers and they showed him the tape of him blowing the safety away coming from the other side of the formation from the game vs Georgia. 

So they ask him "what did you see, how did you see the safety blitz? Talk us through this" and Quenton answered the regular stuff "I've studied tape, I saw the formation and picked up the blitz, etc."... then he looked straight at John Lynch and added "I would have done the same thing if it was you"

Story 2: Quenton and his trainers had decided to not do one of the drills at the combine and some team told him "if you don't run that drill we are not going to draft you" and he was like "Look, all I do is bury people into the dirt every single play and if you cannot work that out from the tape then I can't help you" 

That was a heck of a blitz bick up by Nelson, impressive indeed!!! I am so so glad he is a Colt!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

image.thumb.png.1ecbcd515517ac8c3d97bb52f1cd926b.pngI love the attitude he is awesome ..

• Like 1

He has this really cool sense of humor that makes me like him even more.  Imagine Lynch's thoughts and reaction when Nelson said, "I would have done the same thing if it was you."

This may well go down as one of the Top 5 Draft Picks in Colts history.  I can't imagine getting a better player for this particular team at this particular time, than we did with Nelson.  Yes, Manning and Luck were important picks at the time they were drafted, too.  But, we so badly needed an OL upgrade and a new attitude on the OL.  Nelson has provided both!

• Like 4

Nelson is the perfect example of the parallel of a guy like Ramsey. He has the same high level of confidence but in an assertive way where he doesn’t need to constantly trash talk or talk down about his opponent. That is the type of guy you want in the locker room.

• Like 2

I'm worried now that Big Q had younger siblings.

Assuming he didn't eat them, I have a vision similar to "The Mountain" sticking "The Hound"'s face in the fire when he caught him playing with one of his toys...... or more likely..: ate some of Big Q's side of beef.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nelson is the perfect example of the parallel of a guy like Ramsey. He has the same high level of confidence but in an assertive way where he doesn’t need to constantly trash talk or talk down about his opponent. That is the type of guy you want in the locker room.

A bruiser, hit man type mentality with the self-control and intelligence to be able to harness and control all that raw emotion.  Not as easy as it looks.

He has become my favorite player to watch.... bar none.  

I re-watched every game last year and focused on his every play.    Its amazing how many defenders literally give up and just let him have his way.  Its unmistakable to see how the rest of the line has become more physical too.  

Big Q is a very unique cat in alot of ways.  But most people who are the best of the best at what they do , are a little "different".  Its part of that secret sauce that makes up their success.

Its funny how just 1 player can affect a whole organization's attitude, culture, confidence, etc.    For the good  or bad (Brown, Big Ben, Bell..: pick one).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stitches said:

I love, Love, LOVE stories like these!     The Inside Football,  Behind the Scenes stories that you rarely hear about.     And these stories are ones that will make Colts Nation love the Big Q even more.

These are a treat.    I'd be happy if they got pinned to the top of the webpage for all to see anytime they'd like!      Great stuff!     Thanks to my guy, Stiches for a great thread!      :thmup:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm worried now that Big Q had younger siblings.

Assuming he didn't eat them, I have a vision similar to "The Mountain" sticking "The Hound"'s face in the fire when he caught him playing with one of his toys...... or more likely..: ate some of Big Q's side of beef.

I think I read that he had older brothers that used to pick on him which he said made him tougher.  

This dude was manhandling the like of Watt, Clowney, all sorts of high level players. AS A ROOKIE. He'll only get better as time goes on. 

Plus, when he puts on his warpaint, he's somehow even scarier. 

He's infected the rest of the line with that nasty attitude. He's like a good virus! lol