Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Houston released....

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

I think Houston is just fine....  I'm not the one who stated he was too old....

I have no idea what you are talking about. Another poster said he was in his prime, and...

I said this, "Not what I see......."

Your barking up the wrong tree. 

13 hours ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Did everyone already forget about Donte Fowler?  This guy is the perfect example of the speed Ballard preaches about, and young!  If you're going to pay any money, Fowler would be first in line on my list.

No, just everyone realizes he's a mediocre player.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, TomDiggs said:

If I thought Houston could be had for that cheap at 3 years and only $25M then I'd jump at the chance to see how he could convert to the 4-3.

The sad reality is that pass rushers do not hit the market. They just don't. Hence why guys like Clowney, Lawrence, Clark, Ford and even Jarrett have already been tagged.

The big killer was Brandon Graham's deal. If Graham can get 3 years and $40M at age 31 (to start the year) and his stats are worse than Houston's and Houston is a year younger, if Houston hits the open market he is going to beat that deal.

That means he will easily recoup that $15M he was going to make and then some.

If he signs a 3 year deal it will be for more like $45-$50M than $25M.

Which is why the Colts will pass. And is also why a guy like Flowers is going to take a lot of money to real in. Which is why I do not expect us to get him either.

It is going to be a rough day as a Colts fan for folks who either want a pass rusher or do not want to overpay. Because we are either not going to sign one of the few available guys or we are going to pay way more than we should to do so.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I doubt Houston gets 3 yr/50 million unless it’s from the Jets. I think a 3 yr/35-40 million is more likely. 

Remember...    a year ago no one here had ever heard of Danico Autry.  

I dont know if Ballard can pull another rabbit out his free agent hat again, but I’m confident he’ll find someone he likes enough to sign.

Looking forward to next week when we all find out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember...    a year ago no one here had ever heard of Danico Autry.  

I dont know if Ballard can pull another rabbit out his free agent hat again, but I’m confident he’ll find someone he likes enough to sign.

Looking forward to next week when we all find out.

My guess Shaquil Barrett

On 3/4/2019 at 8:54 PM, TomDiggs said:

If I thought Houston could be had for that cheap at 3 years and only $25M then I'd jump at the chance to see how he could convert to the 4-3.

The sad reality is that pass rushers do not hit the market. They just don't. Hence why guys like Clowney, Lawrence, Clark, Ford and even Jarrett have already been tagged.

The big killer was Brandon Graham's deal. If Graham can get 3 years and $40M at age 31 (to start the year) and his stats are worse than Houston's and Houston is a year younger, if Houston hits the open market he is going to beat that deal.

That means he will easily recoup that $15M he was going to make and then some.

If he signs a 3 year deal it will be for more like $45-$50M than $25M.

Which is why the Colts will pass. And is also why a guy like Flowers is going to take a lot of money to real in. Which is why I do not expect us to get him either.

It is going to be a rough day as a Colts fan for folks who either want a pass rusher or do not want to overpay. Because we are either not going to sign one of the few available guys or we are going to pay way more than we should to do so.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Good post.  I do disagree with the bolded part somewhat... pass rushers in their prime do not hit the open market.  But other than one poster, I don't think anyone thinks Houston is in his prime, nor would a team sign him to be a cornerstone on the D to build around. 

To me a team that signs him would do so for much the same reason that the Colts signed Cory Redding when Pags became the coach.  Houston will provide a nice 2 year stop gap and also help mentor the younger players, Redding was also signed to help teach the new defense and Houston won't be able to do that.  Also, he can come to Indy and be part of a rotation and take less of a strain on his body.

Additionally, so many people think of Houston as a pass rusher but he is almost as good at run defense as he is rushing the passer.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 11:27 PM, krunk said:

If we cant get J Houston, then id be just as fine with Preston Smith and drafting a guy like Omenihu in Rd 2 to go along with that. Ive kind of taken a liking to Ohmenihu. I think hes a tough player. Add Tillery in the middle to play the 3 and the 5.

Ohmenihu & Tillery would be amazing. Massive size to add to the DL. Balls would be getting swatted left & right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

Ohmenihu & Tillery would be amazing. Massive size to add to the DL. Balls would be getting swatted left & right. 

I can definitely see Tillery to the Colts, he would fill that same role as Hunt with strong, long arms he can cause some problems at the LOS and with his quickness off the snap he can add to the interior pass rush.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

I think to get Tillery, we need to do it with the 26th pick (He may be gone before that)

After watching tape, it would be a tough choice between he and Christian Wilkins

One of these two should be available

Tillary was almost always fighting a double team

Because of the excellent talent on the Clemson line, from what I have watched, Wilkins has more, one on one opportunities than Tillary

Also

I just watched some more tape this morning on Polite.......  He looks like a pass rush rotation guy

I was intially excited by what he would bring, but starting to think even 26 is too early for him