Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Houston released....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/04/report-chiefs-releasing-justin-houston/

He's 30.... but he won't cost anything more than cash....  I'd say we kick the tires for certain, and depending on what he wants, 3 or 4 years of Houston may be our best bet to upgrade pass rush in FA.  If he costs too much, Preston Smith is my next target if I were CB....

Opinions?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Rather try to get flowers. Houston seems to have injury problems every year.

I mean yeah, in 2016 he, and the Chiefs, kept trying to get him back too soon....  but I couldn't care less based on the last 2 season's....  15 and 12 games is less than perfect, but he still got over 9 sacks regardless....  I like some young guys with potential out there,  but who else has the resume of Houston among players available?  

Rumor is that the new Dolphins coach wants Flowers at almost any cost.... so he's likely no more than a quick phone call and "have a nice day"  from CB.....

Still a hard pass for me.

30+

Injury history

Has played OLB virtually his whole career

Wouldn't stand up to the beating of setting the edge and/or rushing the passer

This would be like when the Colts tried to convert a 30+ year old Freeney into an OLB

Just my two cents

• Like 2

When he’s released it will be because he’s a cap casualty on a team that wants to keep their one year wonder in Dee Ford. He’s still really solid and would be absolutely fine in a 4-3. He was rated 14th of all edge defenders on PFF and he’s been a model of consistency since he came into the league. I have no idea what he’d get on the open market but I’d absolutely give him what Brandon Graham got for an extension. 

If Ballard wants him,  he feels like a guy who would get roughly 3/25.

I think his age works against him.    But maybe Ballard feels playing in a timeshare rotation would help?    He's someone who will likely be signed the first week of FA,  so we won't have to wait long.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Still a hard pass for me.

30+

Injury history

Has played OLB virtually his whole career

Wouldn't stand up to the beating of setting the edge and/or rushing the passer

This would be like when the Colts tried to convert a 30+ year old Freeney into an OLB

Just my two cents

Pass? So y0u dont want every other teams' player that gets released? So you have a mind of your own? interesting lol

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard wants him,  he feels like a guy who would get roughly 3/25.

I think his age works against him.    But maybe Ballard feels playing in a timeshare rotation would help?    He's someone who will likely be signed the first week of FA,  so we won't have to wait long.

If I thought Houston could be had for that cheap at 3 years and only $25M then I'd jump at the chance to see how he could convert to the 4-3.

The sad reality is that pass rushers do not hit the market. They just don't. Hence why guys like Clowney, Lawrence, Clark, Ford and even Jarrett have already been tagged.

The big killer was Brandon Graham's deal. If Graham can get 3 years and $40M at age 31 (to start the year) and his stats are worse than Houston's and Houston is a year younger, if Houston hits the open market he is going to beat that deal.

That means he will easily recoup that $15M he was going to make and then some.

If he signs a 3 year deal it will be for more like $45-$50M than $25M.

Which is why the Colts will pass. And is also why a guy like Flowers is going to take a lot of money to real in. Which is why I do not expect us to get him either.

It is going to be a rough day as a Colts fan for folks who either want a pass rusher or do not want to overpay. Because we are either not going to sign one of the few available guys or we are going to pay way more than we should to do so.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

• Like 4

His age doesn’t concern me. We aren’t going to get a stud in the draft and teams aren’t letting there edge guys go. We need someone until we find our own guy. What does concern me is KC is converting to a 4-3 and that is why they don’t want him. So why do they think he can’t play a 4-3.

i wish we could mi e up to get one of the studs in the draft.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

If I thought Houston could be had for that cheap at 3 years and only $25M then I'd jump at the chance to see how he could convert to the 4-3.

The sad reality is that pass rushers do not hit the market. They just don't. Hence why guys like Clowney, Lawrence, Clark, Ford and even Jarrett have already been tagged.

The big killer was Brandon Graham's deal. If Graham can get 3 years and $40M at age 31 (to start the year) and his stats are worse than Houston's and Houston is a year younger, if Houston hits the open market he is going to beat that deal.

Which is why the Colts will pass. And is also why a guy like Flowers is going to take a lot of money to real in. Which is why I do not expect us to get him either.

It is going to be a rough day as a Colts fan for folks who either want a pass rusher or do not want to overpay. Because we are either not going to sign one of the few available guys or we are going to pay way more than we should to do so.

Heckuva post!

Well thought through, well written.  You make a compelling argument.   Not sure there’s a “Yeah, but...” type of argument.

If there is,  it won’t be made by me!    :thmup:

• Like 3

Houston may be the best chance to get a talented edge rusher. If they won't last untill 26 and aren't usually available in FA/trade Colts will need to get him. 

If Not, it could wind up being 3 off-seasons without acquiring a much needed element in our(actually any teams) scheme.

If we cant get J Houston, then id be just as fine with Preston Smith and drafting a guy like Omenihu in Rd 2 to go along with that. Ive kind of taken a liking to Ohmenihu. I think hes a tough player. Add Tillery in the middle to play the 3 and the 5.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

His age doesn’t concern me. We aren’t going to get a stud in the draft and teams aren’t letting there edge guys go. We need someone until we find our own guy. What does concern me is KC is converting to a 4-3 and that is why they don’t want him. So why do they think he can’t play a 4-3.

i wish we could mi e up to get one of the studs in the draft.

KC doesn't want him because they need $$  they had 10 mil before tagging Ford....  they can't afford both, they don't release Houston, just because of a scheme change... They were both going to be playing the same position, speed rusher, and they chose Ford...  doesn't mean Houston couldn't play it, it means they can't afford both.... and chose ford, who, if a deal is worked out, will have a lower potential cap hit than Houston...  plus, Ford is 3 years younger.....  danger is, he might be a contract year warrior....

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Houston may be the best chance to get a talented edge rusher. If they won't last untill 26 and aren't usually available in FA/trade Colts will need to get him. 

If Not, it could wind up being 3 off-seasons without acquiring a much needed element in our(actually any teams) scheme.

Who says they won't last till 26?

Don't believe the naysayers....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Graham's stats were better than Houston's. Graham was 4th in combined sacks, hits, and hurries.
 Graham was rated 50th in PFF top 101. Houston 80. 
 Given that Houston would be changing to a new team, a new defense, and playing with his hand in the dirt, and that FA typically have mediocre 1st seasons, then throw in health and age issues, i doubt he is considered right for us at this time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Heckuva post!

Well thought through, well written.  You make a compelling argument.   Not sure there’s a “Yeah, but...” type of argument.

If there is,  it won’t be made by me!    :thmup:

Yeah, but I think he did a good job too. 

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Justin Houston had 9 sacks in 12 games last season.

Any idea how many of those were because his team was playing from ahead all season?
 Or because he had a DT blowing up the middle with 15.5 sacks.
 Or because the other rush LB had 13 sacks?
   He is really good but...