Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Marvin Harrison going to go in the Hall Of Fame?--my thoughts and your

coltsuser21

Ok Is Marvin Harrison going into the Hall Of Fame?

Personally I think Yes I think he should be a first ballot.He better his numbers should give him that ticket to first ballot.

Here is his numbers comparied to eligible H.O.F ers:

Games--- Rec ---Yards ---TD ----YPR ----Pro Bowls --All Pro

190----- 1102 --14580 ---128 ---13.2 ---8 ------------3 -----Harrison

234------1101 --13899 ---130 ---12.6 ---8 ------------2 -----Carter

255 -----1094 --14934 ---100 ---13.7 ---9 ------------0 -----Brown

234 -----951 ----13198 ---87 ----13.9 ---7 ------------0------Reed

(LOOK AT THE GAMES PLAYED!!!!) He is 6th ALL-TIME in recieveing yards and he played way less games then every1 else and he is 5th ALL-TIME in touchdowns for WR's

M_Harrison.jpg

lol whaaaat? idk about that one

You didn't know about it because it he didn't and despite the police and DA in Philly doing everything they can (including illegal searches, trying to get witnesses to change their testimony, etc) to get evidence that he did it, there is no evidence that Harrison was involved.

In my opinion, Marvin is the second best receiver to play the game behind Jerry Rice. He was probably the best route runner of all time; every DB he faced would say that it was nearly impossible to jump his routes because the first 10 yards of all of his routes looked the exact same. He is 1/2 of the greatest QB-WR duo of all time, there is no doubt that he deserves to be a HOFer.

He should be first ballot, but he wont be. It took Shannon Sharpe 3 or 4 years to get in, Cris Carter still isn't in, and neither is Sterling Sharpe.

There's actually a pretty big log-jam at WR waiting to get in the Hall, So I would not be shocked if he's inducted a few years before Peyton, or even the same draft class. Especially with the perception the media has created that Manning makes receivers more than they mutually help eachother, let alone make Peyton look good.

:loco:

Of course he will get in on first ballot, with those numbers how can he not? Only thing missing is playoff success, which was the one area for whatever reason he never seemed to excel in. :FBundecided:

This first ballot talk is craz! He may get in. And if he does, it won't even be close to unanimous. I'd be surprised if he does get in at all.

How is first ballot talk crazy? Marvin's numbers and impact at his position cannot be disputed. I am not even a huge Marvin fan, but have total respect for his career numbers. In his prime years Marvin would have been the no 1 WR on just about any team in the NFL.

How is first ballot talk crazy? Marvin's numbers and impact at his position cannot be disputed. I am not even a huge Marvin fan, but have total respect for his career numbers. In his prime years Marvin would have been the no 1 WR on just about any team in the NFL.

Marvs numbers are good. But not good enough to clearly distinguish him from the pack of other WR. Look I love marvin as much as the next guy, but he's not even going to sniff 1st ballot.

There is a back log at WR to begin with with Carter, Brown, Reed. He leads by 1 rec. Doesn't lead yards or TDs. And that's just the WR. Soon you've got guys like curtis Martin, Roaf, Kennedy, Bettie coming up for induction. Not to mention both Owens and Moss will be retiring soon,, and he won't beat any of those two. Now add in Guys like Farve, Ray Lewis, Hutchinson, Ogden all entering the ends of there careers, and the back log is even greater. Now add in the fact Marvin had Peyton and none of those other guys did, and it tilts the scales even more.

This first ballot talk is craz! He may get in. And if he does, it won't even be close to unanimous. I'd be surprised if he does get in at all.

Some of Marvin's accomplishments:

-Averaged 84.77 receptions per season, which is second to the all time record held by Sterling Sharpe who averaged 85 receptions per season. He had previously been averaging 93 per season until 2007, where he missed the majority of games with a knee injury, resulting in a 20 reception season.

-3rd most receiving yards per game throughout a career (76.7 yds/game)

-2nd most receiving yards in a decade (10,439) 2000-2009

-Holds the NFL record for receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002.

-Most receptions in a 2 season period (252), 2001–2002; 3 season period (354), 2000–2002; 4 season period (469), 1999–2002; 5 season period (563), 1999–2003; 6 season period (649), 1999–2004; 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996-2006.

And a lot more. You could double him, you could gameplan for him, do anything you want, and he would still find a way to beat you. He had an incredible career and put up some huge numbers. His career did end poorly, with the injury and the allegations and everything, but his on-field impact was huge. He is for sure a HOFer. Why would you be surprised if he got in at all?

Theres no doubt Marvin is gonna be a First ballot the guy was one of the greatest receivers no matter what anyone says.

Then why is this question even being asked? Are you people that bored that you need to start a thread on something so totally obvious, that it's ridiculous?

Geez, I thinl I'll start a thread: "Is Peyton Manning a good QB? Discuss"

Some of Marvin's accomplishments:

-Averaged 84.77 receptions per season, which is second to the all time record held by Sterling Sharpe who averaged 85 receptions per season. He had previously been averaging 93 per season until 2007, where he missed the majority of games with a knee injury, resulting in a 20 reception season.

-3rd most receiving yards per game throughout a career (76.7 yds/game)

-2nd most receiving yards in a decade (10,439) 2000-2009

-Holds the NFL record for receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002.

-Most receptions in a 2 season period (252), 2001–2002; 3 season period (354), 2000–2002; 4 season period (469), 1999–2002; 5 season period (563), 1999–2003; 6 season period (649), 1999–2004; 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996-2006.

And a lot more. You could double him, you could gameplan for him, do anything you want, and he would still find a way to beat you. He had an incredible career and put up some huge numbers. His career did end poorly, with the injury and the allegations and everything, but his on-field impact was huge. He is for sure a HOFer. Why would you be surprised if he got in at all?

Here is a list of the WR that will make it in before Marvin: Randy Moss, TO, Cris Carter, maybe Tim Brown. And I would say that's a fair assessment. And that's just WR.

Here is a list of guys waiting to get in the hall who are retired, or will be retired soon, who will all get consideration before Marvin simple bc of the back log of WR

curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Cortez Kennedy

Willie Roaf

Chris Doleman

Brett Farve

micheal strahan

Warren sapp

johnathan Ogden

Kurt Warner

Ray Lewis

Tony Gonzalez

Jason Taylor

Urlacher

Hutchinson

Nearly all are 1st ballot, yet there are only so many spots available per year. The likely hood of Marvin being in on the 2nd or even 3rd try are pretty low in my opinion. ESP if he has still yet to file his retirement papers.

he will get in the first year that he is eligible. He is the 2nd best receiver in NFL history imo. The best part about watching Colts games a few years ago was watching the stats come up and see how close Marvin was to breaking Rice's records....then the injury happened...

The only reason why he wouldn't be a FIRST BALLOT Hall of Famer (he WILL be a Hall of Famer there's just absolutely no doubt about this - the voters might snob him the first time but he WILL get in, if he doesn't then the Hall should be burnt to the ground) is if they penalize him for his play-off disappearing act over his career - remember he played the equivalent of an entire season worth of play-off games and it wasn't pretty

he has zero chance to get in on the first ballot. the only people who think otherwise are die hard colt fans. if guys like carter, irvin, and sharpe didn't get in first ballot then marvin isn't either. and please don't cut and paste all of marvin's numbers...we all kow what they are...just keep in mind he played with peyton for all but one year of his career. guys like tim brown and chris carter had to play with questionable qb's for a chunk of their careers..

funny thing is, he probably won't show up to his own ceremony lol.

I would have said yell yes. But, even though he has great numbers, there is a reason no one picked him up at the end of his career. Someone shot someone with his gun. Somehow he has no idea how it happend. But, the facts are that his gun was used in a shooting. Thats huge. So I am not to sure. I know the Hall looks at this stuff. But I will say that if Ray Lewis gets into the Hall then alot of people that are supposed to have had bad attitudes and run ins with the law need to start getting in. This dude was at a club where his friends ended up in a fire fight and killing people. He went on trial and wouldnt say anyones names. Come on.

he has zero chance to get in on the first ballot. the only people who think otherwise are die hard colt fans. if guys like carter, irvin, and sharpe didn't get in first ballot then marvin isn't either. and please don't cut and paste all of marvin's numbers...we all kow what they are...just keep in mind he played with peyton for all but one year of his career. guys like tim brown and chris carter had to play with questionable qb's for a chunk of their careers..

funny thing is, he probably won't show up to his own ceremony lol.

ummmm Rice played with Montana and Young? why is he in the hall for. Besides all the numbers. So if you know the numbers then on that basis he would get in. Right?

I would have said yell yes. But, even though he has great numbers, there is a reason no one picked him up at the end of his career. Someone shot someone with his gun. Somehow he has no idea how it happend. But, the facts are that his gun was used in a shooting. Thats huge. So I am not to sure. I know the Hall looks at this stuff. But I will say that if Ray Lewis gets into the Hall then alot of people that are supposed to have had bad attitudes and run ins with the law need to start getting in. This dude was at a club where his friends ended up in a fire fight and killing people. He went on trial and wouldnt say anyones names. Come on.

So Ray Lewis has NO CHANCE then I guess.

The reason no one picked up Marvin at the end was age and his knee. He's a little guy who, at that age, couldn't recover from the injury. His game was speed and quickness. When he aged and with the bum knee, he lost "his edge." Just like every other player does in one way or another.

If you grew up "in his neighborhood", you wouldn't "rat" people out either.

He's still a 1st ballot HOFer, IMO. OVER Moss, carter, Brown, etc.

Here is a list of the WR that will make it in before Marvin: Randy Moss, TO, Cris Carter, maybe Tim Brown. And I would say that's a fair assessment. And that's just WR.

Here is a list of guys waiting to get in the hall who are retired, or will be retired soon, who will all get consideration before Marvin simple bc of the back log of WR

curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis

Cortez Kennedy

Willie Roaf

Chris Doleman

Brett Farve

micheal strahan

Warren sapp

johnathan Ogden

Kurt Warner

Ray Lewis

Tony Gonzalez

Jason Taylor

Urlacher

Hutchinson

Nearly all are 1st ballot, yet there are only so many spots available per year. The likely hood of Marvin being in on the 2nd or even 3rd try are pretty low in my opinion. ESP if he has still yet to file his retirement papers.

IMO, its a stetch to say HALF of this list are 1st ballot guys.

That has nothing to do with his career. and as far as those other WR's Carter, Sharpe, Ect. I dont think they were as good as Marvin, so what if he played with Peyton, so did Jerome Pathon. His numbers are equal or better to all of those guys, but in 2-3 seasons fewer games. Moss and T.O. are the only 2 off top of my head who have comparible numbers and Marv will be eligible before them.

That has nothing to do with his career. and as far as those other WR's Carter, Sharpe, Ect. I dont think they were as good as Marvin, so what if he played with Peyton, so did Jerome Pathon. His numbers are equal or better to all of those guys, but in 2-3 seasons fewer games. Moss and T.O. are the only 2 off top of my head who have comparible numbers and Marv will be eligible before them.

Plus Moss and TO are physical beasts. (and they too had their "smoking guns" so to speak)

The fact that Marvin, at his size, accomplished what he did makes it even more remarkable. I also like the fact that Marvin let his PLAY do the talking, NOT HIS MOUTH like the other two. And don't forget, for many years, marvin was THE WR on this team. Many teams tried to stop him, and he still produced.

ummmm Rice played with Montana and Young? why is he in the hall for. Besides all the numbers. So if you know the numbers then on that basis he would get in. Right?

chris carter has the numbers...so does tim brown....how long did it take for art monk? i'm just saying he won't get in first ballot and anyone who thinks he will doesn't pay that much attention. marvin put up great numbers but he isn't a top 10 reciever of all time or anything.

IMO, its a stetch to say HALF of this list are 1st ballot guys.

That's part of the point. Some of them were top 15 finalists this year(Martin,dole man,Bettis). And depending on the year of eligibility for Marvin he certainly won't make it in 1st ballot. ESP, if Carter and Brown make it in the coming years. After them the next one in is moss. Not to mention coaches and FO personal are considered each year well. It's not the all WR HOF it's the NFL HOF to many positions eligible to say anyone but the greatest of great are 1st ballot. Farves, Mannings, Lewis etc.